wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

70 Pages«<67686970>
SGR Progress thus far
Julie
#1361 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 11:35:43 AM

Has SGR posted ticket costs to Mai Mahiu and Suswa?
hardwood
#1362 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:32:49 PM

Julie wrote:

100 bob. 200 bob first class.
KulaRaha
#1363 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:19:49 PM

hardwood wrote:
Julie wrote:

Maybe useful when heading to the Mara, I noted Duka Moja seems closer to Narok than Mai Mahiu.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Impunity
#1364 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:43:16 PM

hardwood wrote:

Route Description of the Nairobi – Naivasha Section (Phase 2) of the Standard Gauge Railway line

-Starts from the West end of the Nairobi South Hub (end point of the Mombasa – Nairobi SGR);
-Turns south-westwards through the Nairobi National Park and west past Twala and Ongata Rongai Towns;
-Crosses Magadi Road next to the Adventists University and Ngong Road at Embulbul;
-Descends into Rift Valley through a tunnel located North-West of Ngong Hills;
-Proceeds North-West to the proposed Industrial Parks at Mai Mahiu and Suswa
-Crosses B3 at Duka Moja

Passenger and freight exchange Stations

-Ongata Rongai – behind Ongata Rongai Town
-Ngong – along Gataka Road, one (1) kilometre East of Embumbul Township
-Mai Mahiu – approximately 10 kilometres South of Mai Mahiu Township
-Suwsa – within Suswa Township
-Proposed Industrial Parks – at proposed Mai Mahiu Station (Naivasha sub-County) and Suswa Township Station (Narok County)

I think the colonial railway has a station at Suswa,they can "connect it" hapo and proceed to Uganda...

And by the way what is the status of the rehabilitation of the line to Eldoret? Kenyans tushasahau,sio?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

newfarer
#1365 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:55:07 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Julie wrote:

Maybe useful when heading to the Mara, I noted Duka Moja seems closer to Narok than Mai Mahiu.

then at suswa you hike a mat to Marasmile your car is still in Nairobi
punda amecheka
aemathenge
#1366 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:56:00 PM

Quote:
To simply put it, the SGR is just a zombie project heavily consuming resources which in this case is heavy sovereign debt when its economic case is yet to be clearly defined for more than five years now.

Source Link: The Business Daily
Impunity
#1367 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:46:57 PM

Yaani from Suswa the line runs for 25km to nowhere...it stops at a remote place near duka moja market.
That 25km cost 20Billion.
That billion will lie idle until the railway is extended to Kisumu,the date no one knows!

The richest country in the world.

hardwood
#1368 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2019 12:42:36 PM

Mutahi Ngunyi has a message for the "house niggers" opposed to the sgr.....

hardwood
#1369 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2019 12:55:51 PM

aemathenge wrote:
Quote:
To simply put it, the SGR is just a zombie project heavily consuming resources which in this case is heavy sovereign debt when its economic case is yet to be clearly defined for more than five years now.

Source Link: The Business Daily

Stupid article. Note that soon all containers headed west of nairobi and to uganda, rwanda, DRC, south sudan will be collected at mai mahiu inland container depot. This will unclog the mai mahiu road and other roads making our roads safer and reducing road maintenance. Also note that the nrb - mbs sgr started with passengers before adding cargo. So just be patient, the govt plans far ahead, it's not shortsighted as many wazuans and half-baked chonolists. Right now you should be busy buying burotis in mai mahiu and suswa, like me and @mugundaman, and not complaining endlessly on wazua.

https://www.theeastafric...7294-np52r9z/index.html

Quote:
Beginning January 2020, import cargo destined for Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan and DRC through Mombasa port will be offloaded at the Mai Mahiu Standard Gauge Railway station for onward transmission.

Kenya Railways acting managing director Phillip Mainga on Thursday told The EastAfrican that a $65.7 million inland container depot will be built at Mai Mahiu in the next three months, marking a potentially major coup for Kenya’s ambition of becoming the transport corridor of choice for neighbouring countries.

President Uhuru Kenyatta this week commissioned Phase 2A of the SGR, but the lack of an ICD means only a passenger train will ply the route until December.

“Our priority now is the ICD which we hope to complete in three months. The contractor is already on the ground,” said Mr Mainga.

The government has allocated Ksh6.9 billion ($65.7 million) for construction of the ICD and related facilities to enable seamless transportation of cargo destined for neighbouring countries, including parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In Suswa, KR intends to build freight handling facilities specifically targeting to transport cargo including wheat, maize, tea and animals destined for other parts of the country and for export.

The SGR freight service generated of Ksh5.7 billion ($54.3 million) last year, while the passenger service generated Ksh1.6 billion ($15.2 million).

An estimated 30 per cent of all cargo coming through Mombasa Port is designed for neighbouring countries.

Kenya Railways has opted to prioritise the construction of a 7km road connecting the ICD to the Mai Mahiu-Narok road to facilitate cargo transportation via road.

For rail cargo, they are setting up a trans-shipment hub at Longonot to be used to load cargo on the old meter gauge railway (MGR) for shipment to neighbouring countries.

According to Mr Mainga, the SGR freight service will take 10 hours from Mombasa to Suswa and will target to transport two million tonnes of cargo annually.

The SGR is currently transporting six million tonnes of cargo from Mombasa to Nairobi using 14 daily trains. Cargo transported by SGR account for 37 per cent of all goods entering the Mombasa Port.

“We will start with two freight trains on the Nairobi-Naivasha line and increase the trains depending on demand,” he noted.

He added the line will significantly reduce the number of trucks on the busy Kamandura—Mai Mahiu—Narok road and cut the number of hours it takes to transport cargo via road from Mombasa to Kampala from 36 to 24.

hardwood
#1370 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2019 2:06:03 PM

This upuzi on the mai mahiu road will come to an end thanks to the sgr 2A....

hardwood
#1371 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2019 3:19:24 PM

Just like oil is pumped via a pipelime from mombasa to nairobi, nakuru, eldoret and kisumu depots where it is then loaded onto lorries to petrol stations, same should happen with cargo - cargo should be loaded at the port and delivered to the inland container depots at nairobi and mai mahiu for collection by owners. Having the depot at mai mahiu was a genius move since it is centrally placed and that is where the cargo branches into the main cargo routes i.e
- the narok-kisii, migori- tarime (tz) - mwanza route,
- naivasha - malaba-kampala-drc&rwanda, nakuru - kitale- turkana- s. sudan, naivasha-kisumu routes
-naivasha - nyahururu - maralal route

If all road cargo heading west (and east) has been passing though mai mahiu then it's good to have the sgr deposit (receive) cargo at mai mahiu ICD for onward transmission.

hardwood
#1372 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2019 3:40:36 PM

My 1 acre buroti is touching this new road....

Impunity
#1373 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 10:13:09 PM

The old meter gauge line to Kisumu to be upgraded and opened.
Good news.

Handcheque hoyeeeee
link

safariant
#1374 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:13:43 PM

Impunity wrote:
Good news.

Handcheque hoyeeeee
link

A vessel docks in Msa,
Container is offloaded from the vessel,
Container is loaded onto SGR,
SGR lands in Naivasha/Suswa,
Container is offloaded from SGR,
Container is loaded onto MGR,
MGR lands in Kisumu,
Container is offloaded from MGR,
Container is loaded onto a vessel,
Vessel docks somewhere in UG/TZ,
Container is loaded on to a truck,
Truck does the last mile (Ug/Tz/Rwanda/DRC etc)
Truck arrives at the last mile,
Container is offloaded for the last time.

The empty container is loaded onto a truck at the last mile,
The Truck arrives at the port in Ug/TZ,
The empty container is....

Simple, cheap, efficient
The greatest act of bravery is chancing a fart while suffering from diarrhoea
Impunity
#1375 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:44:47 PM

safariant wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Good news.

Handcheque hoyeeeee
link

A vessel docks in Msa,
MGR lands in Kisumu,

Simple, cheap, efficient

Are you speaking in codes?

KulaRaha
#1376 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 9:06:18 AM

safariant wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Good news.

Handcheque hoyeeeee
link

A vessel docks in Msa,
MGR lands in Kisumu,

Simple, cheap, efficient

All that loading/offloading blah blah, when all you do is put the box on a truck in Mombasa and its at its destination in max 7 days and half the cost.

Its this level of "lack of cleverness" that has caused half the problems in Kenya. So sad...
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Impunity
#1377 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 10:48:00 AM

Rehabilitation of the Kisumu line and opening it up is the best thing.
It will have the most profitable passenger service plus it will be a tourist gem.

T-Bag
#1378 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:28:23 PM

By Mohammed Hersi

I rarely do a piece on a weekday but being a Friday please allow me to pen one and join me on a nostalgic trip.

Allow me to title it " Kenya , before the thieves showed up "

A few weeks ago I met a chap who is my agemate but he comes from a rich family where the dad was a very senior goverment official. To this day they are wealthy .

I took time to give him a history of Kenya and how we had most facilities working . I told him that while we are forced to celebrate some overpriced SGR we indeed had the old railway that connected East Africa big time let alone Kenya .

I told him we even had a line to Nyanyuki to help ferry beef cattle for export via Konza and Athi River holding ground. Kenya was famous for live cattle export which is not easy to do .

We even had a railway line from Voi to Taveta . We even had KBS Mombasa to Taveta .

We had steamers on Lake Victoria. Families in Kisumu had folks in Bukoba , Entebbe or Mwanza.

Your cargo gets to Kisumu from Mombasa you load it onto water steamer across to Bukoba. Trade was huge . We had a proper working port in Kisumu

Growing up in Marsabit I never saw a railway line but I knew there was a line that connected Nyahururu and Nakuru . Drawing railways connection in Kenya was part of our syllabus.

We even had a working very successful airline owned by Kenya Uganda and Tanzania before greed and one mad Idi Amin Dada self declared generals of all generals made us to divorce .

EU came to benchmark with East Africa on how an economic block can work .

We had working garment industries from Rivatex. Kicomi. Mountex . We had our meat canning factory in Kenya meat commission. Almost all household goods were manfacured in Kenya . We even assembled Sanyo radios made in Kenya.

My friend was left in awe . I was speaking to him like a bearded grey haired 90 years sage . Well while I went to ordinary school and managed to learn about our history my friend went to one of those " fine" schools . Maybe they don't get the opportunity to learn these things . I have no idea but I also loved history and geography.

For us to drool over a single line by the Chinese is really not a miracle . We had this and many more but looks like very few of us know about it or even remember it.

Health system worked where all hospitals were fully kitted and original medicine from Germany .Italy etc were prescribed.

We never had all these useless private health centres where majority are owned by goverment employed doctors selling drugs meant for public hospitals. Folks , private health centres is a clear sign of a broken system. It is NOT development.

Goverment schools all worked . I had the same books at Marsabit Primary school just like a child at Moi Avenue Primary school Nbi. We had no private schools all claiming to be academies save for community schools like Oshwal and Aga Khan . Again I repeat these many private schools proliferation is a clear sign of a broken system. It's NOT development. Rwanda is doing the opposite . Fix goverment owned schools and the so called academies are shutting down .

In late 80's, 90% of Nairobi had piped water , we drank to our fill straight from the tap and we were promised by year 2000 every home would have piped water. Nairobi is curenty getting water through trucks and Mikokotenis in 2019.

Folks I can go on and on. We may have been poor but the goverment of the day gave us dignity . Basic healthcare, education , water was in plenty. When basics are in place security takes care of itself.

I am sharing this to educate younger folks that Kenya was indeed a force to reckon with before the real thieves set in and made nonsense of a working system . Well I still remain optimistic that we can get our groove back but maybe not in my lifetime but I will do what I can in my small way.

Now you know and I wish you all a happy nostalgic weekend .

As always I choose to remain an optimist

Mohammed Hersi
Mombasa.
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
aemathenge
#1379 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2019 12:08:30 PM

Copy and Paste

Kenya Forcing Importers to Use Costly New Chinese Railway, Businessmen Say

By Reuters Dec. 3, 2019, 2:13 a.m. ET

MOMBASA, Kenya — Kenya's new Chinese-built railway should have been a boon for business. The $3.3 billion (2.6 billion pounds) line sliced hours off the journey from the port city of Mombasa to the capital, Nairobi.

But some importers said their transport costs shot up by nearly 50% when they used the rail due to extra fees, more time spent clearing goods at the congested Nairobi train depot and the need to send a truck to collect the goods from there.

These importers used to truck their goods in from the coast. But port authorities now say businesses based in Nairobi and upcountry must use the new line because the Mombasa port is contracted to supply it with a minimum amount of cargo.

"KPA has an obligation to feed the railway ... we were the guarantors of the rail," said Daniel Manduku, head of the state-run Kenya Ports Authority.

The railway's problems are a cautionary tale, both for developing nations loading themselves with Chinese debt, and for China as it seeks to expand global trade links and project soft power through its massive Belt and Road initiative.

"The vast majority of its (China's) overseas spending has no detectable effect on economic growth," said Bradley Sparks, executive director of AidData, a research facility that tracks development finance at William and Mary university in Virginia.

China has sought to allay fears that its infrastructure projects overload some countries with debt.

Last year, it agreed to restructure more than $12 billion in repayments owed by Ethiopia, whose Chinese-funded railway is also struggling.

Now some Kenyan politicians are asking whether their railway was worth the cost.

Hundreds of people - residents, business owners and local leaders - hold weekly demonstrations in Mombasa against the mandatory movement of cargo by rail.

"This is a revolution," lawmaker Mohammed Ali said earlier this month as demonstrators carried a mock coffin branded "RIP China Colonisation" in blood-red letters.

BUSINESSES UNDER PRESSURE

The contract between China's Exim Bank, the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) and Kenya Railways requires KPA to provide 1 million tonnes of cargo to the railway per year, rising to 6 million by 2024.

KPA says rail cargo is expected to hit 5 million tonnes this year, after more than 4 million last year.

Mombasa is projected to handle 34 million tonnes of cargo this year; most does not go by rail. Cargo destined for Mombasa, or countries other than Kenya, can still go by road.

But Kenyan importers in and around Nairobi say they have been forced to use the line since October last year. The port confirmed the policy in August, but rescinded the order in October after protests. Businesses say little has changed and they are still required to use the more expensive railway.

Port authorities are diverting shipments to the new railway, said a Nairobi-based customs clearance agent. "You are made to pay for it whether you like it or not."

Moving a 40-foot container to Nairobi by rail costs 80,000 shillings ($800) - roughly the same as a truck, said Mercy Ireri, chief operations officer for the Kenya Transporters Association.

But importers must also pay at least 25,000 shillings for a truck to collect the goods from the Nairobi depot and 15,000 shillings in depot fees, said three businessmen who asked not to be named.

LOAN REPAYMENTS

Manduku, also a board member of Kenya Railways, said the higher charges are necessary to meet loan repayments.

Kenya owes Exim Bank of China 660 billion shillings for the railway and other projects, about a tenth of its total national debt. The bank did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Kenya Railways did not respond to requests for comment. The China Road and Bridge Corporation, which built the railway and now runs it through its Kenya subsidiary Africa Star Operations, said it did not set policy on cargo.

The exact terms of the agreement are not public.

The new line opened in 2017. Running alongside a dilapidated track British colonialists built a century ago, it cut the Nairobi-Mombasa journey to four hours from 12 for passengers and to eight hours from 24 for cargo.

China supported the directive requiring importers to use the railway, said Wu Peng, Beijing's ambassador in Nairobi.

"That is a responsible and smart move by the Kenyan government," Wu told Reuters.

After the directive was lifted, the embassy said the line "has revolutionized cargo and passenger movement".

Parliament summoned the transport minister to answer questions about the cargo policy in November but he did not appear. Esther Koimett, principal secretary at the department of transport, told Reuters the government was no longer making importers use rail.

But Daniel Nzeki, chairman of the Container Freight Stations Association of Kenya, and Ireri of the Kenya Transporters Association, said port security in Mombasa was still preventing trucks from picking up some cargo.

"It is a circus," Nzeki said.

(Editing by Katharine Houreld, Alexandra Zavis and Giles Elgood)

SOURCE: https://www.nytimes.com/...ers-kenya-railways.html

Fyatu
#1380 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2019 12:45:51 PM

aemathenge wrote:
Copy and Paste

Kenya Forcing Importers to Use Costly New Chinese Railway, Businessmen Say

By Reuters Dec. 3, 2019, 2:13 a.m. ET

MOMBASA, Kenya — Kenya's new Chinese-built railway should have been a boon for business. The $3.3 billion (2.6 billion pounds) line sliced hours off the journey from the port city of Mombasa to the capital, Nairobi.

But some importers said their transport costs shot up by nearly 50% when they used the rail due to extra fees, more time spent clearing goods at the congested Nairobi train depot and the need to send a truck to collect the goods from there.

These importers used to truck their goods in from the coast. But port authorities now say businesses based in Nairobi and upcountry must use the new line because the Mombasa port is contracted to supply it with a minimum amount of cargo.

"KPA has an obligation to feed the railway ... we were the guarantors of the rail," said Daniel Manduku, head of the state-run Kenya Ports Authority.

The railway's problems are a cautionary tale, both for developing nations loading themselves with Chinese debt, and for China as it seeks to expand global trade links and project soft power through its massive Belt and Road initiative.

"The vast majority of its (China's) overseas spending has no detectable effect on economic growth," said Bradley Sparks, executive director of AidData, a research facility that tracks development finance at William and Mary university in Virginia.

China has sought to allay fears that its infrastructure projects overload some countries with debt.

Last year, it agreed to restructure more than $12 billion in repayments owed by Ethiopia, whose Chinese-funded railway is also struggling.

Now some Kenyan politicians are asking whether their railway was worth the cost.

Hundreds of people - residents, business owners and local leaders - hold weekly demonstrations in Mombasa against the mandatory movement of cargo by rail.

"This is a revolution," lawmaker Mohammed Ali said earlier this month as demonstrators carried a mock coffin branded "RIP China Colonisation" in blood-red letters.

BUSINESSES UNDER PRESSURE

The contract between China's Exim Bank, the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) and Kenya Railways requires KPA to provide 1 million tonnes of cargo to the railway per year, rising to 6 million by 2024.

KPA says rail cargo is expected to hit 5 million tonnes this year, after more than 4 million last year.

Mombasa is projected to handle 34 million tonnes of cargo this year; most does not go by rail. Cargo destined for Mombasa, or countries other than Kenya, can still go by road.

But Kenyan importers in and around Nairobi say they have been forced to use the line since October last year. The port confirmed the policy in August, but rescinded the order in October after protests. Businesses say little has changed and they are still required to use the more expensive railway.

Port authorities are diverting shipments to the new railway, said a Nairobi-based customs clearance agent. "You are made to pay for it whether you like it or not."

Moving a 40-foot container to Nairobi by rail costs 80,000 shillings ($800) - roughly the same as a truck, said Mercy Ireri, chief operations officer for the Kenya Transporters Association.

But importers must also pay at least 25,000 shillings for a truck to collect the goods from the Nairobi depot and 15,000 shillings in depot fees, said three businessmen who asked not to be named.

LOAN REPAYMENTS

Manduku, also a board member of Kenya Railways, said the higher charges are necessary to meet loan repayments.

Kenya owes Exim Bank of China 660 billion shillings for the railway and other projects, about a tenth of its total national debt. The bank did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Kenya Railways did not respond to requests for comment. The China Road and Bridge Corporation, which built the railway and now runs it through its Kenya subsidiary Africa Star Operations, said it did not set policy on cargo.

The exact terms of the agreement are not public.

The new line opened in 2017. Running alongside a dilapidated track British colonialists built a century ago, it cut the Nairobi-Mombasa journey to four hours from 12 for passengers and to eight hours from 24 for cargo.

China supported the directive requiring importers to use the railway, said Wu Peng, Beijing's ambassador in Nairobi.

"That is a responsible and smart move by the Kenyan government," Wu told Reuters.

After the directive was lifted, the embassy said the line "has revolutionized cargo and passenger movement".

Parliament summoned the transport minister to answer questions about the cargo policy in November but he did not appear. Esther Koimett, principal secretary at the department of transport, told Reuters the government was no longer making importers use rail.

But Daniel Nzeki, chairman of the Container Freight Stations Association of Kenya, and Ireri of the Kenya Transporters Association, said port security in Mombasa was still preventing trucks from picking up some cargo.

"It is a circus," Nzeki said.

(Editing by Katharine Houreld, Alexandra Zavis and Giles Elgood)

SOURCE: https://www.nytimes.com/...ers-kenya-railways.html

The Newyork times can now write another kizungu mingi piece about how hotels in Mombatha are 100% booked by local tourist from Karatina courtesy of the SGR. They should also write another one telling Kenyans kinaga ubaga that prior to 2008 No-Kibaki-No-peace pre-meditated massacre of Okuyos, CFS's never used to exist. In short CFS are as a consequence of the grand-corruption government of 2008-2013 and are the main entry point for fake goods and aflatoxin etc. Finally, since Mombasa receives a whopping 34 million tonnes of cargo and a measly 6 million tonnes are evacuated by SGR, what happens to the remaining 28 million tonnes? Who are these f***ing wazungus kidding?
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money