wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kenyan music lacks good producers & marketers
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 6:36:30 AM

Kenya music lacks producers who can think out of the box. I've listened to many of the newer Kenyan songs and you can hardly differentiate an artiste's songs, now all musicians are beginning to sound the same.

But that's not the worst part, the worst is that we cannot go past our borders with such knowing the equation of music and money, most Kenyan artistes will remain broke.

BBI will solve it
:)
tycho
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 7:14:22 PM

@2012. I like Taarab, and most songs of this genre sound the same. Do you think Taarab as a genre is thriving?
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:01:35 PM

tycho wrote:
@2012. I like Taarab, and most songs of this genre sound the same. Do you think Taarab as a genre is thriving?

I don't think it's thriving, I think it has a niche audience. I honestly have never understood it because I can't tell one song from another, neither can I tell the message. Maybe it's an acquired taste and I need someone to introduce me to it.

BBI will solve it
:)
tycho
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:22:49 PM

2012 wrote:
tycho wrote:

I don't think it's thriving, I think it has a niche audience. I honestly have never understood it because I can't tell one song from another, neither can I tell the message. Maybe it's an acquired taste and I need someone to introduce me to it.

For one I know that several radio stations dedicate at least an hour to Taarab. Maybe it has a wider audience than we may suppose. I know of a 3 year old who sings Taarab...

But there's Mzee Yusuf I think. He defected to Gospel. Maybe that's a leakage of whether it's thriving or not.

As for the sound; the similarity is essential. That's what defines Taarab, or any genre.

But maybe you're on to something...