wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<4567>
Your first car
callaspade
#101 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 2:57:54 PM

[quote=AlphDoti]This is fun,you remind me very far! I bought my first car at 200K and sold it at a profit 5 years later at 215K!

...ok, i think you meant that you sold it at a price higher than you bought it,you still lost money since you must have spent more than 15k for the 5 years,you never made a profit......
....always remember my first one,i almost lost a faincee,the damn thing blacked out in some forest and had to be towed by a mat.the next morning a famous mechanic in the area called kanyoni fixed it for 2 hous and it was later flying like a rocket.i sold it to a government official and he refused to pay the last 15k.he then went to tell his son who was below 10 to add water to the radiator,the young boy ofcourse did not put back the cap properly and wala,the car died.i was so happy when he gave me the story.....
seppuku
#102 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 3:16:26 PM

hairglo wrote:
seppuku wrote:
This is an interesting thread. Even hilarious. Those who have not acquired their first rides yet know what to avoid, hopefully. But hey, what's this obsession with four wheels? In a congested city like Nairobi, doesn't using a motorcycle instead make sense? Think about it, you pay less for fuel and maintenance, the weather rarely gets really bad for riding if you have the appropriate gear, you'll hardly get stuck in the traffic jam... Any good reason we Kenyans find this an unacceptable option ama ni kitu ya culture? My apologies for subverting the thread somewhat, but I thought these sentiments blend well with it's general spirit of the good and the bad of personal transportation.

you're right, mobikes make the best mode of transi in nairobi but safety is no.1 deterrent. Even with the right gear it's easy to loose your arm or leg given how crazy drivers are here. Also there're no bike lanes, and if there were matatus wuld still use them to overlap.

@hairglo, A proper bike, say 200cc and above, should generally be able to keep up with the pace of cars, negating the need for special lanes. Special lanes, even where they exists, are for the benefit of pedal cyclists. Still, the danger of being edged (or even flat out knocked) out of the road by a careless mathree driver is there. Me just thinks it is a bit overrated. And for the most part Nairobi traffic is jammed anyway, greatly limiting the speed of motorists - and therefore your chances of being ran over.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
quicksand
#103 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 3:23:51 PM

seppuku wrote:
hairglo wrote:
seppuku wrote:
This is an interesting thread. Even hilarious. Those who have not acquired their first rides yet know what to avoid, hopefully. But hey, what's this obsession with four wheels? In a congested city like Nairobi, doesn't using a motorcycle instead make sense? Think about it, you pay less for fuel and maintenance, the weather rarely gets really bad for riding if you have the appropriate gear, you'll hardly get stuck in the traffic jam... Any good reason we Kenyans find this an unacceptable option ama ni kitu ya culture? My apologies for subverting the thread somewhat, but I thought these sentiments blend well with it's general spirit of the good and the bad of personal transportation.

you're right, mobikes make the best mode of transi in nairobi but safety is no.1 deterrent. Even with the right gear it's easy to loose your arm or leg given how crazy drivers are here. Also there're no bike lanes, and if there were matatus wuld still use them to overlap.

@hairglo, A proper bike, say 200cc and above, should generally be able to keep up with the pace of cars, negating the need for special lanes. Special lanes, even where they exists, are for the benefit of pedal cyclists. Still, the danger of being edged (or even flat out knocked) out of the road by a careless mathree driver is there. Me just thinks it is a bit overrated. And for the most part Nairobi traffic is jammed anyway, greatly limiting the speed of motorists - and therefore your chances of being ran over.

Na wa-junior je? Wife/Girlfriend? Utabebea wapi na motorbike?
Peppy
#104 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 3:59:03 PM

Ours was a Peugeot 504, we call it muruthi. Till today, my son keeps asking me what happened to molodi.

It was a gift from my mum in law, it had been lying unused for over 10 years, though in excellent condition. When I met hubby, it was his ride and it took me some time to get used to it since most of my palss boyfies had saloon cars. On our wedding day, we were driven in a merc all day lakini jioni after the evening party, off we drove in our muruthi t start our honeymoon. It was in good condition and rarely gave any problems, but the thing was a real guzzler. We used to fuel 200 per day (back om 2002) and it seemed like so much then. Hubby then went into business and one time the accelerator cut on uhuru highway while loaded with a pick up full of lubricants. it was so embarassing, he came home with it tied with a sisal. Another time he was loaded again with lubes and was stopped by cops near a hilly place, he couldn't stop coz the damn thing could not start at a hill while fully loaded and bad accelerator. That was when he decided to get a toyota pick up. So, with my first child, it was a peugeot 504 pickup to pick me from hosi, child number 2 it was a toyota pickup from hospital, imagine. It then became my car for going to work. I became very good at hill balancing on Mbagathi way on my way to work and doing 100kph down langata road while listening to Tina of Hope fm. God is good,it never stalled then or ran out of fuel on me. Imagine doing your monthly shopping and putting it at the back and hoping that a smart kenyan will not pick it up. Heh, tumetoka mbali, sasa i drive a 3 series BMW. A lot of lessons and good humour from that car. I still miss my muruthi though. Never got around to selling it for sentimental value. I didnt know we were so many guka and cucu wa bijotis in Wazua.
I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me: Phil 4: 13
Mpenzi
#105 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 6:30:56 PM

Peppy wrote:
Ours was a Peugeot 504, we call it muruthi. Till today, my son keeps asking me what happened to molodi.

It was a gift from my mum in law, it had been lying unused for over 10 years, though in excellent condition. When I met hubby, it was his ride and it took me some time to get used to it since most of my palss boyfies had saloon cars. On our wedding day, we were driven in a merc all day lakini jioni after the evening party, off we drove in our muruthi t start our honeymoon. It was in good condition and rarely gave any problems, but the thing was a real guzzler. We used to fuel 200 per day (back om 2002) and it seemed like so much then. Hubby then went into business and one time the accelerator cut on uhuru highway while loaded with a pick up full of lubricants. it was so embarassing, he came home with it tied with a sisal. Another time he was loaded again with lubes and was stopped by cops near a hilly place, he couldn't stop coz the damn thing could not start at a hill while fully loaded and bad accelerator. That was when he decided to get a toyota pick up. So, with my first child, it was a peugeot 504 pickup to pick me from hosi, child number 2 it was a toyota pickup from hospital, imagine. It then became my car for going to work. I became very good at hill balancing on Mbagathi way on my way to work and doing 100kph down langata road while listening to Tina of Hope fm. God is good,it never stalled then or ran out of fuel on me. Imagine doing your monthly shopping and putting it at the back and hoping that a smart kenyan will not pick it up. Heh, tumetoka mbali, sasa i drive a 3 series BMW. A lot of lessons and good humour from that car. I still miss my muruthi though. Never got around to selling it for sentimental value. I didnt know we were so many guka and cucu wa bijotis in Wazua.

This reads more like - but do I say - just saying.
subaru
#106 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:47:36 AM

nice one peppy what i dont understand these days is that you see many times an efi car 1000 cc which has ran out of fuel bt long time you could not see a 2000 cc caburator car ran out of fuel just like that
Dash
#107 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:50:34 AM

Laughing out loudly @ peppy. Thats a funny story
Euge
#108 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:17:46 PM

Peppy wrote:

Did you grow up in the lake side city?
Lord, thank you!
Pretz
#109 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:49:02 AM

ROTFL. This thread killed me. I can relate to so many of the hilarious stories. Good times those old cars brought.
'user'
#110 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:21:56 PM

got it kenmac
2012 is here.Kenya is Ours.Be Part of The Peace Keeping Mission To Protect Our Motherland.Say No To Violence and Tribal Hatred .If you can read this,wewe ni mtu amesoma, usifikirie kama mtu hajaenda shule .Ni Hayo Tu
'user'
#111 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:28:37 PM

eli wrote:
Do you remember your first car? What make was it? Was it new or second hand? Roughly at how much did u buy it? Are there any lessons you have learnt in the process? What are your regrets? Your words of advice to would first time car owners is?

Well,I am looking forward to spinning my first car in Dec,09. I am looking for something that can move me around. Not gisty! Not expe! Second hand! Probably a vehicle written off,after an accident,then I can remake it. Any suggestions? Well,I am budgeting with something not more than 200K for the vehicle! Any suggestions would be welcome!

But you shall remember the LORD your God,for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth,that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,as it is this day. Deu 8:18

how did it go?
2012 is here.Kenya is Ours.Be Part of The Peace Keeping Mission To Protect Our Motherland.Say No To Violence and Tribal Hatred .If you can read this,wewe ni mtu amesoma, usifikirie kama mtu hajaenda shule .Ni Hayo Tu
khal
#112 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:20:17 AM

anyone with a break-down on the maintenance costs of a mazda demio....
newfarer
#113 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:53:13 AM

Poggie wrote:
@Mkristo.

The 406 was a joy to ride and don't forget it was new. The suspension is unrivalled and the engine had serious poke. I was in sales so I hit the road all over the country at the slightest excuse. I felt really good. I don't remember if there was ever a time when anyone overtook me while riding that machine. Surely not until the day I lost my job and had to return the damn company car. I had not seen it coming. That was one seriously curved ball life threw at me. When it hit home that I was bila job and with a second new born baby I knew the s*** had hit the fan. I blamed it on the fact that I had read the booklet 'The Prayer of Jabez' and my ambitious prayer to God to expand my horizon had led to my loss of a job. I had not stolen or under performed,my Zimbabwean boss saw me as a threat and thus gave me the white farmer treatment. Anyway to cut a long story short,we had to start all over again from scratch and by God's grace I have managed to pull myself by my boot straps. I have never earned a salary from then though. I have created wealth to my satisfaction. But that's a story for any day. Sorry eli,for hijacking your thread,but I coundn't help it. It makes me laugh too,you know!

As a man thinketh so is he

sounds too familiar story.poggie how are you doing nowadays
punda amecheka
newfarer
#114 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:18:10 AM

subaru wrote:
nice one peppy what i dont understand these days is that you see many times an efi car 1000 cc which has ran out of fuel bt long time you could not see a 2000 cc caburator car ran out of fuel just like that

good observation. old money vs new wannabes
punda amecheka
rurinjaa
#115 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:49:18 AM

newfarer wrote:
Poggie wrote:
@Mkristo.

The 406 was a joy to ride and don't forget it was new. The suspension is unrivalled and the engine had serious poke. I was in sales so I hit the road all over the country at the slightest excuse. I felt really good. I don't remember if there was ever a time when anyone overtook me while riding that machine. Surely not until the day I lost my job and had to return the damn company car. I had not seen it coming. That was one seriously curved ball life threw at me. When it hit home that I was bila job and with a second new born baby I knew the s*** had hit the fan. I blamed it on the fact that I had read the booklet 'The Prayer of Jabez' and my ambitious prayer to God to expand my horizon had led to my loss of a job. I had not stolen or under performed,my Zimbabwean boss saw me as a threat and thus gave me the white farmer treatment. Anyway to cut a long story short,we had to start all over again from scratch and by God's grace I have managed to pull myself by my boot straps. I have never earned a salary from then though. I have created wealth to my satisfaction. But that's a story for any day. Sorry eli,for hijacking your thread,but I coundn't help it. It makes me laugh too,you know!

As a man thinketh so is he

sounds too familiar story.poggie how are you doing nowadays

sparkly
#116 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:55:57 AM

Toyota 110, year 2000 model, ex-japan, manual transmission, EFI. A lovely car to drive, fuel efficient and never broke down.

Life is short. Live passionately.
Kenyan Oracle
#117 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:54:44 PM

I learnt to drive using old man's Pujoti 505. Remember mum teaching us to drive since none of us would dare touch the old man's ride with his knowledge. That car was comfy and could move.

My first ride was Nissan Sunny B11. Bought it from a lady, It had been souped up with a 5 speed gearbox, used to sniff fuel and go. Men I was proud of it. Was a nice car apart from Bushes and suspension frequent replacing. Later moved to the land of Toyos.
You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money - NAS
Mukiri
#118 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2019 11:32:59 AM

AE 91. They don't make cars that good anymore. I put robs magic shocks on it and made it invincible. Many a time did I push it to its 180km/h limit on road trips. Bought it @20 in cash. The folly of youth

Proverbs 19:21
Swenani
#119 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2019 6:52:20 PM

I bought my first ride from sabina joy. She rode me like hell
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
kaka2za
#120 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2019 8:22:37 PM

Swenani wrote:
I bought my first ride from sabina joy. She rode me like hell

He is back!
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne