wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Most water secure Nairobi suburb...
murchr
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:18:05 PM

Baratang wrote:
murchr wrote:
I have water at some spot in my shamba. I spoke to someone calling themselves an expert and they said the water is perfect for drinking. Someone mentioned that I might need to visit NEMA for a "permit" to use this water....is this true? Also, any expert here with advice on how i can secure the place to prevent contamination and access(pump) this water some meters upstream for family use? Appreciated.

Is the water held on a surface well, shallow well, deep well or borehole?

I think surface/shallow well easily accessible quantities go down when in drought.

newfarer wrote:
make amends with neighbors share with them.thats the securest way

Neighbor has his own they fetch water using jerrycans

I'd also want to test the water but I dont know where to start without reaching out to the fleecing water organizations. Are there testing kits available?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
kuku3
#22 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:24:53 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
Where in Nairobi are you most assured of never running out of water?

While you are at it please also comment on the area with the most reliable power supply.

Utawala is water secure. Though few places have City council/county water. Mostly boreholes with a unit going for between Kshs 100 -130
... a fool and his money are soon parted...
Gathige
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:48:11 PM

kuku3 wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
Where in Nairobi are you most assured of never running out of water?

While you are at it please also comment on the area with the most reliable power supply.

Utawala is water secure. Though few places have City council/county water. Mostly boreholes with a unit going for between Kshs 100 -130

Borehole water can be very toxic esp where there is no working sewer system. Water in both the boreholes and septic tanks/broker sewers freely mix and the resultant cocktail if filthy.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
MugundaMan
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:59:07 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Kusandikika,
Didnt you read my post hapo juu?
Water fresh and nywee, then distilled for double measure. Sewerage pipes are old antiquated things from a bygone era my bradza. Thats how you end up with feces in your water. Biodigesters are the most efficient and environmentally friendly waste disposal method. Get with the times mfana wami.

You are telling us the only source of water in Kitengela is rain water with underground storage? I had heard something about EPZ getting water from Kilimanjaro. Does this line have connections to peoples houses?

For those with boreholes, what is yield and how far do you have to go to get it? Has the water table changed over the years?

You are still talking of contaminated salt water from boreholes, antiquated piping systems and yields when I have given you a very dot com solution?Laughing out loudly Shauri yako! Keep drinking feces and flouride laden water and crying serikali saindia to bring microbe infested water in bpa pipes from Kilimanjaro!
Lolest!
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:15:43 PM

Quote:
I'd also want to test the water but I dont know where to start without reaching out to the fleecing water organizations. Are there testing kits available?

Davis and Shirtliff?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Kusadikika
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:50:02 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Kusandikika,
Didnt you read my post hapo juu?
Water fresh and nywee, then distilled for double measure. Sewerage pipes are old antiquated things from a bygone era my bradza. Thats how you end up with feces in your water. Biodigesters are the most efficient and environmentally friendly waste disposal method. Get with the times mfana wami.

You are telling us the only source of water in Kitengela is rain water with underground storage? I had heard something about EPZ getting water from Kilimanjaro. Does this line have connections to peoples houses?

For those with boreholes, what is yield and how far do you have to go to get it? Has the water table changed over the years?

You are still talking of contaminated salt water from boreholes, antiquated piping systems and yields when I have given you a very dot com solution?Laughing out loudly Shauri yako! Keep drinking feces and flouride laden water and crying serikali saindia to bring microbe infested water in bpa pipes from Kilimanjaro!

This here states the average annual rainfall in Kitengela is 592 mm per year. Is this enough for a family of 4 for a year without any other source?

https://en.climate-data....jiado/kitengela-927009/
MugundaMan
#27 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:28:45 PM

Kusadikika wrote:

This here states the average annual rainfall in Kitengela is 592 mm per year. Is this enough for a family of 4 for a year without any other source?

https://en.climate-data....jiado/kitengela-927009/

What sort of question is this papaLaughing out loudly ? Surely, even from primary school basic maths, one is able to compute what storage capacity, roof area and perhaps even install additional catchment to make sure they are water secure year round ama? Drool If a guy can live in the ARIZONA DESERT and is water secure, jameni what is your excuse?
Let's move out of the stone age Kenyans and get with the times!

Kusadikika
#28 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:21:08 PM

@Shambaman asante.

When is the wedding? Wanawake wana maswali mengi kuliko haya ya maji, so start practicing not getting irritated by questions. Good luck.
MugundaMan
#29 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:46:19 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
@Shambaman asante.

When is the wedding? Wanawake wana maswali mengi kuliko haya ya maji, so start practicing not getting irritated by questions. Good luck.

Gila gitu ni bole bole my bradza.
All in good timing like water flowing shwuuuuuuuu from gutters to underground tanks in rainy season. A glorious sound!!
Kusadikika
#30 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2019 4:14:03 PM

limanika
#31 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 11:06:20 AM

Nairobi has become a concrete jungle as everyone builds beacon to beacon. This means the water table will keep getting shallow coz there isnt much area left for rainwater to percolate downwards and recharge the aquifers. If we had good researchers in our universities, by now we would be have projections how long it will take for aquifer to dry up or become too shallow to make economic sense. And then come up with ways to mitigate. For instance, be law, each and every built up plot should have some area reserved for soft landscape where rainwater water percolates to the ground
hardwood
#32 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:27:07 PM

This is the gabanas solution to the water problem. Sad...

Fyatu
#33 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:01:57 PM

hardwood wrote:

The problem is not Sonko...the problem lies in those ugly flats hapo nyuma.
My naked eye tells me that one ugly flat hapo nyuma easily has 50 units housing 50 families/bachlors/spinsters (tamaa ita waua). Some roomsin that ugly thing hapo have never experienced sunlight and yet Kenya lies squarely on the Equator. I can wager my balls that the sewage mechanism in those flats is substandard, illegal and most likely broken.

If you research a little deeper you will find out that the same water/sewage infrastructure that was built by either mubeberu government or old Jomo government is the same infrastructure in use today in this neighborhood. Kenyan government has been in total slumber since 1970.

Sonko is just being magnanimous by providing short-term solution because he knows very well that the long term solution is bringing Sany and flattening all those ugly things hapo nyuma and forcing landlords to re-build functional and well planned real-estate. The only other solution is Nairobi county government building a brand new mini city huko Mavoko or Ruai in the same scale as Nova Cidade de Kilamba(google is your friend). Meanwhile, let Kenyans continue eating jeuri yao pole pole
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Gathige
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:28:29 PM

Fyatu wrote:
hardwood wrote:

My naked eye tells me that one ugly flat hapo nyuma easily has 50 units housing 50 families/bachlors/spinsters (tamaa ita waua). Some roomsin that ugly thing hapo have never experienced sunlight and yet Kenya lies squarely on the Equator. I can wager my balls that the sewage mechanism in those flats is substandard, illegal and most likely broken.

If you research a little deeper you will find out that the same water/sewage infrastructure that was built by either mubeberu government or old Jomo government is the same infrastructure in use today in this neighborhood. Kenyan government has been in total slumber since 1970.

Sonko is just being magnanimous by providing short-term solution because he knows very well that the long term solution is bringing Sany and flattening all those ugly things hapo nyuma and forcing landlords to re-build functional and well planned real-estate. The only other solution is Nairobi county government building a brand new mini city huko Mavoko or Ruai in the same scale as Nova Cidade de Kilamba(google is your friend). Meanwhile, let Kenyans continue eating jeuri yao pole pole

The long term solution is huko Muranga, so called Northern Collector Tunnel. Sonko knows he has max 10 yrs to do work and his short term solutions just keeps him longer and meets the needs of the day.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
MugundaMan
#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:40:19 PM

limanika wrote:

Nairobi has become a concrete jungle as everyone builds beacon to beacon. This means the water table will keep getting shallow coz there isnt much area left for rainwater to percolate downwards and recharge the aquifers. If we had good researchers in our universities, by now we would be have projections how long it will take for aquifer to dry up or become too shallow to make economic sense. And then come up with ways to mitigate. For instance, be law, each and every built up plot should have some area reserved for soft landscape where rainwater water percolates to the ground

The funniest thing is we are concerned about letting MASSIVE AMOUNTS of rain water percolate into aquifers but not concerned about harvesting said rainwater to meet all our needs with some left over to feed kuku with. Sometimes when I see media crying about drought for 8 months and then cry even harder about floods in the mtaros and streets for the remaining 4 months of the year I do not know whether to cry or laugh hysterically.

Fyatu
#36 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:02:59 PM

Gathige wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
hardwood wrote:

The long term solution is huko Muranga, so called Northern Collector Tunnel. Sonko knows he has max 10 yrs to do work and his short term solutions just keeps him longer and meets the needs of the day.

The long-term solution is demolishing those ugly things and building functional "green" houses that harvest rain water,houses that allow natural lighting and houses that have bio-digestors as @Mugundaman has been trying to educate Kenyans. The Murang'a solution interferes with users downstream and eco-systems eventually destroying heritage for future generations.

The other only alternative is building a new city and leave those greedy landlords of Nairobi who have exploited Kenyans for eons on their own.....even Nigerians abandoned filthy Lagos
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
murchr
#37 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 4:02:45 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
hardwood wrote:

The long-term solution is demolishing those ugly things and building functional "green" houses that harvest rain water,houses that allow natural lighting and houses that have bio-digestors as @Mugundaman has been trying to educate Kenyans. The Murang'a solution interferes with users downstream and eco-systems eventually destroying heritage for future generations.

The other only alternative is building a new city and leave those greedy landlords of Nairobi who have exploited Kenyans for eons on their own.....even Nigerians abandoned filthy Lagos

No it will not but its abit late.

Is the law barring landlords and home owners from harvesting water still operational?

Idealy almost every estate with over 100K people should have its own reservoir, managed by the water company instead of those 12K 10K tanks that hoard water
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Kusadikika
#38 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:09:00 PM

I did a bit of research after I started this thread and I found it. The most water secure Nairobi suburb is Old Runda and Mimosa. They have their own Water Service Company that is owned and managed by the residents.

You can read about it here:

http://rundawater.co.ke/home/

For the common mwananchi the other estate with decent water management is Nyayo Embakasi. They do not get water every day but the water is very professionally managed. They have a central collection and storage and then they ration so that everyone gets some on a predictable schedule.

You can see how they do it here:

Kusadikika
#39 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:16:37 PM

I also found small places I had never heard of in Eastlands that also never lack water. Example is an Estate called Pioneer near Buruburu.
Kusadikika
#40 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:20:45 PM

On the other extreme side it was shocking to discover that some places like Woodley in the old city council houses they have never seen water coming out of the tap for more than 10 years. Apparently the old underground water pipes rusted and got blocked and they need to be dug up and replaced.