What is a greencard in relation to ownership of land?
#21 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 4:42:04 PM

Am interested in purchasing a prime property and due to its location and figures involved I would like to be 101% sure that the property is clean and free from any issue that may later come to haunt me.

Am in the process of 'due diligence' because the property has 2 issues;
1. Confirmed issue.
There was previous buyer who paid 10% only and nothing else until 90 days notice elapsed.
At the moment, the 1st buyer is asking for another extension of 90 days which the seller is not willing to accept.
The first issue is not a problem to me because I can't commit to buying before the 1st agreement is cancelled by both parties before an advocate.

2. Rumours:
It's rumored that the property is contested by step-sons.
The title is in The seller's name, an old lady who happened to be 2nd or 3rd wife to her late husband.

The real challenge is this rumours because according to the lady, all is fine as succession went on well and property is legally in her name.

I talked to my learned friends. One of the advocate advised that I should apply for Land Green card and check the history. the second advocate advised that I should ask the old lady to swear an affidavit that there are no family related issues whatsoever that could delay the transaction.

If you were in my shoes how would you navigate this one?.
Is a sworn affidavit enough to cover for any - unforeseen family issue in future?.
Would a green card be of any help?..much more than Land registry search document?.

I would run like the wind from this deal, baba. When you have all these shidas from the jump it never seems to end well.
#22 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 4:43:52 PM

Am interested in purchasing a prime property and due to its location and figures involved I would like to be 101% sure that the property is clean and free from any issue that may later come to haunt me.

1. Confirmed issue.
There was previous buyer who paid 10% only and nothing else until 90 days notice elapsed.
At the moment, the 1st buyer is asking for another extension of 90 days which the seller is not willing to accept.
The first issue is not a problem to me because I can't commit to buying before the 1st agreement is cancelled by both parties before an advocate.

2. Rumours:
The title is in The seller's name, an old lady who happened to be 2nd or 3rd wife to her late husband.

The real challenge is this rumours because according to the lady, all is fine as succession went on well and property is legally in her name.

I talked to my learned friends. One of the advocate advised that I should apply for Land Green card and check the history. the second advocate advised that I should ask the old lady to swear an affidavit that there are no family related issues whatsoever that could delay the transaction.

Is a sworn affidavit enough to cover for any - unforeseen family issue in future?.
Would a green card be of any help?..much more than Land registry search document?.

ANY property contested by family members is a no go zone. Whether it's a rumuor or not.

Sworn affidavit doesn't help you
#23 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 6:22:46 PM

Registrar is declining to issue a copy of a certified Green card to an advocate.
Is it true that it can only be issued to CID or Courts?.

#24 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 6:38:31 PM

1. Confirmed issue.

2. Rumours:

I would run like the wind from this deal, baba. When you have all these shidas from the jump it never seems to end well.

When It comes to Land, if in 1% doubt, don't touch. Have you not read about Koinanges Estate case which has been in court for over thirty years simply trying to define who is a wife. Sembuse wewe.

#25 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 6:44:57 PM

1. Confirmed issue.

2. Rumours:

Family land fights can get bloody, for your own safety and peace of mind ,go and buy a different piece of land.
#26 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:46:16 PM

Registrar is declining to issue a copy of a certified Green card to an advocate.

heard the same too. Apparently it's an internal document under the registrar's custody.
#27 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:57:08 PM

1. Confirmed issue.

number 1 is a non-issue. The sale agreement alone has a time clause. Once 90 days are over, the buyer's only recourse is to get a refund if the same was in the agreement.
2. Rumours:

once bought a property with similar issues in nyeri. My advocate started with confirming the letters of administration. Both the grant and the confirmation after 6 months at the high Court registry. From there, we managed to get a meeting with the Registrar who confirmed the documentation in the green card is okay. Also visited two neighbours. Carried some shopping and they gave me the whole history and the battle between the co-wives. Once I got the consent from the LCB, we did the transfer and I went to fence and Connect both water and kplc instantly. One of the sons came with a bodaboda and found an army of workers and myself chatting with the neighbours. Once you are secured legally, send a message you are no pushover.

#28 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 9:10:50 PM

heard the same too. Apparently it's an internal document under the registrar's custody.

Not true! One can ask for certified copy of greencard. No law against it!
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 1:56:05 PM

I bought land and registered under my father’s name.
Currently ,legal Ownership is my father while I financed.
He want now to transfer to me.
What’s the process and requirements of transferring land from
a parent to a company wholly owned by one of the Sons?
#30 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:33:12 PM

Sounds like a money laundering scheme.
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:28:12 AM

Sounds a very complex transaction between a father and a son.
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:13:15 AM

A sudden good deal while I was not physically able to be there.
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:37:56 AM

Make haste. Under inheritance law it can get messy and you end up sharing that land with your siblings. Hopefully you also have proof of money you sent to your father to buy the land so that it cannot be contested that it was a gift from your Father.
NewMoney
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:21:08 PM

kawi254 wrote:

Make haste. Under inheritance law it can get messy and you end up sharing that land with your siblings. Hopefully you also have proof of money you sent to your father to buy the land so that it cannot be contested that it was a gift from your Father.

I am no lawyer but I think they should be able to do a regular conveyancing buyer-selller agreement without any money exchanging hands as long as it is stated in the agreement why so. Am sure if the OP checks with a lawyer they will get a simple solution since there are no conflicts in the deal
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:06:13 PM

if you avoid the 50 bob-per-stamp lawyers that wazuans fancy you can get one who will get you stamp duty exemption and get you the transfer to a company.
#36 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:23:58 PM

Why did you register in your father's name to begin with. Ulikuwa unataka kuficha assets? Or avoiding ushuru?

It will be exempted from stamp duty if daddy is one of the co-owners of the company. If not, ushuru utalipa my buloddah. Process is just the same as any other land transfer between two parties IMHO.
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:27:42 PM

NewMoney wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

I am no lawyer but I think they should be able to do a regular conveyancing buyer-selller agreement without any money exchanging hands as long as it is stated in the agreement why so. Am sure if the OP checks with a lawyer they will get a simple solution since there are no conflicts in the deal

Until Tokyo discovers that his dad has another wife who he did not know aboutsmile smile I think wives have to sign that the property is not matrimonial property before a transfer can be effected or if it is matrimonial that they are OK with everything......or does this only apply to the property the family is residing in?
#38 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:38:34 PM

NewMoney wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

Until Tokyo discovers that his dad has another wife who he did not know aboutsmile smile I think wives have to sign that the property is not matrimonial property before a transfer can be effected or if it is matrimonial that they are OK with everything......or does this only apply to the property the family is residing in?

Valuation will also be done and stamp duty paid.
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:25:37 PM

if you avoid the 50 bob-per-stamp lawyers that wazuans fancy you can get one who will get you stamp duty exemption and get you the transfer to a company.

Life is never a straight line and that serious. That was for a specific thing and which doesn't even make sense to the many persons out to salvage the little left of their investments. If you see the place, that lawyer is actually doing CSR work to the clients.

Of course the guy will charge you the normal fees when it comes to 'real' transactions.
#40 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:20:46 AM

Why did you register in your father's name to begin with. Ulikuwa unataka kuficha assets? Or avoiding ushuru?

It will be exempted from stamp duty if daddy is one of the co-owners of the company. If not, ushuru utalipa my buloddah. Process is just the same as any other land transfer between two parties IMHO.

The seller had an urgent issue where he was willing to sell a prime land at a throw years ago . The deal was good. I happened to be overseas. It’s very common especially with Diaspora community. Nothing sinister.