wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tea and Coffee farming
Kusadikika
#1 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 9:34:31 PM

I am surprised that we do not have a thread on this on Wazua considering that tea and coffee are some of Kenyas biggest exports.

So to start off:

How long does it take from planting a tea bush or coffee tree till you start harvesting?

Once it starts to produce does it continue producing forever or do you at some point have to cut them and replant?

What is the yield per acre?

What are the costs associated with the crops? Other than labor do they need pesticides, fertilizers etc?

Do you register with a tea factory or coffee miller or how else can you sell your produce?

Specifically for coffee; Is it possible to dry and roast your own coffee beans? Tea looks more complicated but coffee looks easy and straightforward. What am I missing? Why don't people do it?

For those who have been doing this for long, what are the returns like?
Chaka
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:03:36 AM

Chaka
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:14:34 AM

Muller21QW
#4 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 12:48:13 PM

I love coffee from Kenya, although is more expensive to ship it to Europe than buying it from local stores, it is worth it. Nothing compares to the taste of the coffee made of fresh ground Kenyan coffee beans in the morning. Just reading my long single sentenced description and you'll want to taste it too. Since I started doing my own coffee in the morning, my days started being way more productive. I invest in things like coffee machines and grinders, I don't bother buying an expensive but good one since it's gonna last a long period. Both the coffee machine and the grinder I bought from HelixCoffee. If someone needs to refresh or replace their owns - visit site.
Chaka
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 3:02:31 PM

Muller21QW wrote:
I love coffee from Kenya, although is more expensive to ship it to Europe than buying it from local stores, it is worth it. Nothing compares to the taste of the coffee made of fresh ground Kenyan coffee beans in the morning. Just reading my long single sentenced description and you'll want to taste it too. Since I started doing my own coffee in the morning, my days started being way more productive. I invest in things like coffee machines and grinders, I don't bother buying an expensive but good one since it's gonna last a long period. Both the coffee machine and the grinder I bought from HelixCoffee. If someone needs to refresh or replace their owns - visit site.

Which is country of manufacture of coffee machine and is the free shipping applicable worldwide?
chiaroscuro
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:09:56 PM

Before you get into coffee farming, bear in mind that it returns about sh20 to sh30 profit per tree per year.

Yes, PER YEAR!

Useless crop, if you ask me.

If you doubt, download a copy of Sasini annual report and read how much PROFIT they make from this crop.

You can plant about 1,500 trees per acre so you land will yield about Sh30,000 to Sh45,000 per acre PER YEAR.

Think about that first.

MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:19:12 AM

Is it possible for me to grow a few bushes of coffee for my personal daily consumption in DC? Or will the climate preclude this?