Law Capping interest rates
Ericsson
#2801 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:05:54 PM

HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Uhuru Kenyatta is the man squarely behind the rate cap. You cannot tell me that he does not know that things have slowed down since the cap came to effect.He knows.

The interest rate cap will be repealed when he leaves office post 2022. Hiyo ingine yote ni kelele.

True the rate cap has helped us against the greedy loan shark banks, and I'm sure it wount go through parliament.

The problem is according to the judgement around February, where a judge actually called it unconstitutional and illegal, and gave parliament a year to correct the law otherwise it would be repealed without any further court appearance(i.e returns to its original state). My issue is we have forgotten about that ruling and our chicken memory governors and mp's will not remember to do anything about the law. I can bet you nnext year the interest rates will most likely increase, and we shall have no one to blame but ourselves for not following up on the ruling.

Here is the link.

https://www.businessdail...6434-6a9knqz/index.html

Hence the proposal by Henry Rotich.

Last 2 years budgets there have been similar proposals, this time its there to close our eyes and forget the judgement deadline.

MPs are negotiating that for the law to be repealed anyone who took a loan before should continue at the same interest rates.
New applicants are the ones to be subjected to the new rates.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Fyatu
#2802 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2019 3:11:29 PM

Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Uhuru Kenyatta is the man squarely behind the rate cap. You cannot tell me that he does not know that things have slowed down since the cap came to effect.He knows.

The interest rate cap will be repealed when he leaves office post 2022. Hiyo ingine yote ni kelele.

True the rate cap has helped us against the greedy loan shark banks, and I'm sure it wount go through parliament.

The problem is according to the judgement around February, where a judge actually called it unconstitutional and illegal, and gave parliament a year to correct the law otherwise it would be repealed without any further court appearance(i.e returns to its original state). My issue is we have forgotten about that ruling and our chicken memory governors and mp's will not remember to do anything about the law. I can bet you nnext year the interest rates will most likely increase, and we shall have no one to blame but ourselves for not following up on the ruling.

Here is the link.

Last 2 years budgets there have been similar proposals, this time its there to close our eyes and forget the judgement deadline.

MPs are negotiating that for the law to be repealed anyone who took a loan before should continue at the same interest rates.

Are you able to provide evidence of this assertion via a link/reference @Ericsson?
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
MaichBlack
#2803 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 5:05:08 PM

Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Here is the link.

Eating their cake and having it! (And yes, I said it right!)

When the rates were introduced, they insisted that even old loans be switched to the new regime (which is illegal if you think about it given that there were existing contracts).

Now they want to ignore the reasoning they used then!!??
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Ericsson
#2804 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 5:22:40 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Here is the link.

Are you able to provide evidence of this assertion via a link/reference @Ericsson?

@Fyatu

Hon Sam Atandi @SamuelAtandi Jun 13
Repeal of interest cap law is a progressive proposal. However, its passage must exempt application of new interest rates on existing loan portfolio which should be considered permanently less risky

Fyatu
#2805 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 6:25:04 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Here is the link.

@Fyatu

Repeal of interest cap law is a progressive proposal. However, its passage must exempt application of new interest rates on existing loan portfolio which should be considered permanently less risky

Shukran.
watesh
#2806 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 7:41:24 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Here is the link.

@Fyatu

Now this is some slight progress.
Fyatu
#2807 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 11:23:18 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Here is the link.

@Fyatu

I reiterate that this is a Uhuru Kenyatta sponsored bill tabled in parliament by his proxy Jude Njomo. The rate cap is not going anywhere unless Uhuru Kenyatta leaves state house. Rotich should stop lying to Kenyans that he is making efforts towards a different outcome.
obiero
#2808 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:44:07 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Here is the link.

@Fyatu

I reiterate that this is a Uhuru Kenyatta sponsored bill tabled in parliament by his proxy Jude Njomo. The rate cap is not going anywhere unless Uhuru Kenyatta leaves state house. Rotich should stop lying to Kenyans that he is making efforts towards a different outcome.

Meanwhile those claiming that the rate cap has caused recent layoffs need to relearn economics

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#2809 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:34:23 PM

https://mobile.nation.co...0446-14dvtt8/index.html

Commercial banks will not adjust the interest rates on loans already taken after the law capping interest rates is repealed.

In the biggest concession yet to Parliament in a bid to scrap the interest rate capping law, lenders, through the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA), the sector lobby group, offered not to increase interest rates on current loans, as has been the practice in the past.

Instead, only new borrowers will pay the new rates in line with their risk profile.

“Banks are committed to maintaining the current customers’ loan contracts within the existing contractual framework,” the memorandum signed by KBA Chief Executive Officer Habil Olaka says.

The memorandum has been sent to Parliament as part of the submissions for the finance bill, through which the National Treasury seeks to do away with the interest rate capping law.

“It is only new loan contracts that will be risk-prized post the repeal of the interest rate capping law,” Mr Olaka added.
obiero
#2810 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:07:45 PM

obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:
I told you guys to sell off bank stocks in 2014. Luckily made it out of some major holdings in good time..

but a big percent of your portfolio is still in banks!

so, what do you expect to be a fair hair cut on obieros portfolio as a result of kamwanaas house attempt to please Wanjiku. what will be the overall industries' hit in percentage. my fair guess from my lender's perspective
(16-14.5)/(16*0.5)*100=18.75% conservetively
thieves.

COOP & HF will come out strongest in this.. Too little meat to be bitten out from the two. Plus HF has never been strong on deposits being only licensed to have current accounts a few months ago!! HF will have the least interest expense of all listed lenders

Hey @Obiero. Bill not signed. And please note I did not put the word 'yet' at the end.

Its bound to be signed on Monday 29th Aug 2016

The bankers will visit statehouse with big brown envelop and this story will be forgotten.

Smaller banks will fold

Here we are...
Family fires it's staff https://citizentv.co.ke/...fs-to-cut-costs-143841/
and then Sidian lays off 108 workers http://www.businessdaily...9550-3428588-151f209z/,
then Ecobank collapses 9 branches http://www.businessdaily...6506-316lohz/index.html
First Community Bank let go of a quarter of its staff http://www.the-star.co.k...osed-number-of_c1451638
And now BoA closes 12 branches. Sad state of affairs http://www.businessdaily...2926-jp394sz/index.html

Sidian, NBK, Family, HF, NIC struggling.. Small banks shall fold

The goose is cooked for NBK

NBK has 9 lives,it was supposed to go down even before Dubai bank but its still standing.

@whiteowl NBK in its current form and shape cannot survive.. It must be absorbed by a real bank. Smaller banks must close shop unless the caps are reversed http://www.nation.co.ke/...9774-14pykoy/index.html

Boom boom pow. Small banks have nowhere to turn

Another one down.. HF is likely to be eaten up by Equity

Smaller banks will continue to fold. NBK towel thrown in. The sector is halfway done with the M&A action

Ericsson
#2811 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:41:26 PM

obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:
I told you guys to sell off bank stocks in 2014. Luckily made it out of some major holdings in good time..

so, what do you expect to be a fair hair cut on obieros portfolio as a result of kamwanaas house attempt to please Wanjiku. what will be the overall industries' hit in percentage. my fair guess from my lender's perspective
thieves.

COOP & HF will come out strongest in this.. Too little meat to be bitten out from the two. Plus HF has never been strong on deposits being only licensed to have current accounts a few months ago!! HF will have the least interest expense of all listed lenders

Hey @Obiero. Bill not signed. And please note I did not put the word 'yet' at the end.

The bankers will visit statehouse with big brown envelop and this story will be forgotten.

Smaller banks will fold

Here we are...
and then Sidian lays off 108 workers http://www.businessdaily...9550-3428588-151f209z/,
then Ecobank collapses 9 branches http://www.businessdaily...6506-316lohz/index.html
First Community Bank let go of a quarter of its staff http://www.the-star.co.k...osed-number-of_c1451638
And now BoA closes 12 branches. Sad state of affairs http://www.businessdaily...2926-jp394sz/index.html

NBK has 9 lives,it was supposed to go down even before Dubai bank but its still standing.

@whiteowl NBK in its current form and shape cannot survive.. It must be absorbed by a real bank. Smaller banks must close shop unless the caps are reversed http://www.nation.co.ke/...9774-14pykoy/index.html

Smaller banks will continue to fold. NBK towel thrown in. The sector is halfway done with the M&A action

Umehesabiwa obiero?
obiero
#2812 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:44:34 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:

thieves.

Smaller banks will fold

Here we are...

Umehesabiwa obiero?

I’m in Connecticut!

littledove
#2813 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:21:54 PM

https://www.nation.co.ke/business/MPs-oppose-interest-rate-cap-repeal/996-5266530-on6gs0z/index.html

A parliamentary committee has opposed a proposal by National Treasury to have the interest rate capping law repealed saying it will subject Kenyans to expensive credit at the expense of commercial banks, a majority of them multinationals.

The proposal to amend section 33 (b) of the Banking Act, is contained in the Finance Bill 2019, currently before the National Assembly.

GIVE CREDIT

“I disagree with you. The banks decide who to give credit to. The removal of interest caps will only benefit few shareholders and encourage capital flight,” Mr Atandi said.

Mr Atandi wondered why Treasury was so keen on the matter and whether it is “speaking for the banks that failed to convince us to have the caps removed.”

At some point, Mr Atandi advised the government to stop borrowing from local banks saying it has made the cost of credit so high to the SMES.
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
tom_boy
#2814 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:17:09 AM

littledove wrote:
https://www.nation.co.ke/business/MPs-oppose-interest-rate-cap-repeal/996-5266530-on6gs0z/index.html

A parliamentary committee has opposed a proposal by National Treasury to have the interest rate capping law repealed saying it will subject Kenyans to expensive credit at the expense of commercial banks, a majority of them multinationals.

The proposal to amend section 33 (b) of the Banking Act, is contained in the Finance Bill 2019, currently before the National Assembly.

GIVE CREDIT

“I disagree with you. The banks decide who to give credit to. The removal of interest caps will only benefit few shareholders and encourage capital flight,” Mr Atandi said.

Mr Atandi wondered why Treasury was so keen on the matter and whether it is “speaking for the banks that failed to convince us to have the caps removed.”

At some point, Mr Atandi advised the government to stop borrowing from local banks saying it has made the cost of credit so high to the SMES.

For once MPigs are thinking right.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
wukan
#2815 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:39:25 PM

tom_boy wrote:
littledove wrote:

GIVE CREDIT

For once MPigs are thinking right.

yaaaaaawn...wharever. We accepted and moved on. They repeal, they don't who cares. You can't buck the markets
Ericsson
#2816 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:51:11 AM

Treasury has cut revenue targets by sh.100bn as staff layoffs bite,corporate profits dip and several firms close shop.
KulaRaha
#2817 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:07:15 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Treasury has cut revenue targets by sh.100bn as staff layoffs bite,corporate profits dip and several firms close shop.

But the economy is booming......
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Fyatu
#2818 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:05:44 PM

Can a slay queen be sent to Jude Njomo with the sole purpose of derailing him from making ammendments to the Banking act? If it happened to Linturi then it can happen to Njomo ama namna gani my friends?
Gathige
#2819 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:10:04 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Can a slay queen be sent to Jude Njomo with the sole purpose of derailing him from making ammendments to the Banking act? If it happened to Linturi then it can happen to Njomo ama namna gani my friends?

Akothee was in Parliament yesterday. Lets hope it works out
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Fyatu
#2820 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:23:04 PM

Gathige wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Akothee was in Parliament yesterday. Lets hope it works out

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly