wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Evolution - Young people are growing horns
murchr
#1 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 7:40:35 PM

Are smartphones turning us into monsters?

In a BBC report about the changing human skeleton published last week, biomechanics researcher Dr. David Shahur of the University of The Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia, says he’s noticed an increasingly common horn-like growth at the base of the neck — sometimes so large they can be seen and felt through the skin.

“I have been a clinician for 20 years,” Shahur says, “and only in the last decade, increasingly I have been discovering that my patients have this growth on the skull.”

These horns or “spikes,” which clinicians call an “external occipital protuberance,” were first noted in 1885, but thought to be so rare that French scientist Paul Broca — credited for his research on the area of the frontal lobe dubbed Broca’s area — argued the anomaly was undeserving of a medical diagnosis.

To provide added support for the head, which weighs some 10 pounds in adults, the body compensates by developing new bone, which may help redistribute the weight.

In 2016, Shahur and his colleagues produced a study in the Journal of Anatomy investigating this phenomenon. They analyzed over 200 radiographs of patients between 18 and 30 years old, and found the growth in 41 percent of them.
https://nypost.com/2019/...rom-cellphone-use-study/
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
sparkly
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:44:42 AM

[quote=murchr]

Are smartphones turning us into monsters?

In a BBC report about the changing human skeleton published last week, biomechanics researcher Dr. David Shahur of the University of The Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia, says he’s noticed an increasingly common horn-like growth at the base of the neck — sometimes so large they can be seen and felt through the skin.

“I have been a clinician for 20 years,” Shahur says, “and only in the last decade, increasingly I have been discovering that my patients have this growth on the skull.”

These horns or “spikes,” which clinicians call an “external occipital protuberance,” were first noted in 1885, but thought to be so rare that French scientist Paul Broca — credited for his research on the area of the frontal lobe dubbed Broca’s area — argued the anomaly was undeserving of a medical diagnosis.

To provide added support for the head, which weighs some 10 pounds in adults, the body compensates by developing new bone, which may help redistribute the weight.

In 2016, Shahur and his colleagues produced a study in the Journal of Anatomy investigating this phenomenon. They analyzed over 200 radiographs of patients between 18 and 30 years old, and found the growth in 41 percent of them.
https://nypost.com/2019/...om-cellphone-use-study/[/quote]

I am lost. There were no cell phones in 1885. What was causing horns then?
Life is short. Live passionately.
murchr
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:19:40 PM

If you read to understand, you'd have realized that it is not the cell phones per say causing this rather the bending of the neck downwards. People constantly using their phones are bending their heads so much that the neck is developing a support system.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
T-Bag
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:29:56 AM

murchr wrote:
If you read to understand, you'd have realized that it is not the cell phones per say causing this rather the bending of the neck downwards. People constantly using their phones are bending their heads so much that the neck is developing a support system.

Unless it is a mutation, (the bending of neck and subsequent compensation by addition of borne stabiliser), the same cannot be transferred through reproduction. DNA mutation and reproduction aids evolution not a mere physiological change attributable to individual behaviour
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
mkenyan
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 7:44:51 PM

T-Bag wrote:
murchr wrote:

Unless it is a mutation, (the bending of neck and subsequent compensation by addition of borne stabiliser), the same cannot be transferred through reproduction. DNA mutation and reproduction aids evolution not a mere physiological change attributable to individual behaviour

spot on. this was fake news.
murchr
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 7:49:47 PM

mkenyan wrote:
T-Bag wrote:
murchr wrote:

spot on. this was fake news.

It was not just news

Here is the scientific report
Sagamand863
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:36:48 PM

Why do you honestly think it was happened cause of something like that smartphones or so ? Who told you so ? It maybe some other issue which is not connected to that anyway. Sounds good ? Simply you need to connect yourself in a very good way.
Mucher
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:05:45 PM

Well, you might think horns are growing out of your skull because of your phone. Digging deeper, paints a different picture. While it's true that unusual bony growths may be seen at higher frequencies than expected in younger generations, there's zero data suggesting phones are to blame.
Sagamand863
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:36:24 PM

Even if this is true, there is nothing to fear.
I believe that this is rather an anomaly random, but even if evolution prepares us for the process from the back - so be it. For a long time we have not changed, it's time to change our mind.
But I don’t understand why they connect it with smartphones when it was first described in the 19th century :)