wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<2345>
Shafted by a Wazuan
itz
#61 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 2:42:02 AM

Are there independent companies that inspect the home mechanicals(plumbing,electrical,major appliances,bathrooms etc) post construction before occupancy?
obiero
#62 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:02:47 AM

itz wrote:
Are there independent companies that inspect the home mechanicals(plumbing,electrical,major appliances,bathrooms etc) post construction before occupancy?

Can’t the owner/occupant test this through usage

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
MugundaMan
#63 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:50:28 AM

Tudunia twetu tweli tuna mabo
How can someone be shafted when the onus is on them to conduct due diligence and inspect the product thoroughly before buyingSad ?
Buying a house is like looking for a good, godly wife, papa. The minute you see she has a little cray-cray in her (e.g. short temper over every single non issue) or slayqueenish tambias like showing up to the date in a tight tight tiiiight miniskirt with no draws on - RUN papa RUN!
sparkly
#64 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 8:16:42 AM

itz wrote:

Standard construction contracts have a rectification period of 6-12 months after handover. During that time the client withholds payment of the final payment of 10% or so and the contractor rectifies any defects that arise.
Life is short. Live passionately.
cyruskulei
#65 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 8:30:50 AM

itz wrote:

There are consultants (mep) who can run those test and ascertain the status of works of they meet minimum requirements. however,you must be issued with test certificates by your developer before taking over.
Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

#66 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 9:13:27 AM

Forester wrote:
newfarer wrote:
Forester wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Just anika them in the same spirit so that no other wazuan gets into the mess.

The wazuan looks obvious to me!!!

@AA, the guy who appears on BD Africa louded as an upcoming developer currently doing another project on Eastern Bypass.

Woe unto the guys who'll buy the houses as same cheap fixtures/fittings have been used.

what is the first letter of his name at least.please name him so he can defend himself and also the rest of us can deal with him with caution.if he has scr*w*d you there is nothing to lose in naming him

Yaani even putting a magic connector on the sinks was a problem. Something simple and doesn't cost much. Never seen a kitchen drainage (that silver thing) being put as the bathroom drainage. When I asked the fundiz, they semad hizo ndio wamepewa.

To add insult to injury, moved out of site after liability period was over without issues being resolved despite numerous promises and reminders on record.

The guy is our very own MM. Most of you guys will be shocked and say I might be discrediting him lakini I know how much the shoe is pinching and how that toilet seat injured my makalioz (kulia kwa choo quite literally).

You should report the matter to NCA and involve your lawyer (if necessary) & bank. They will come survey the the structure just in case there're some structural flaws as well that can endanger your family. They also check on the fittings and they invite other professional bodies to inspect as well. They can blacklist the rogue contractor and ask him to redo and compensate you for your losses. Just try them, you never know. It might sound extreme but I know a friend who did and got sorted after all you don't know what will start falling apart after 10 years. Anyway, pole sana.

BBI will solve it
:)
muandiwambeu
#67 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 9:56:18 AM

2012 wrote:
Forester wrote:
newfarer wrote:
Forester wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Just anika them in the same spirit so that no other wazuan gets into the mess.

The wazuan looks obvious to me!!!

@AA, the guy who appears on BD Africa louded as an upcoming developer currently doing another project on Eastern Bypass.

Woe unto the guys who'll buy the houses as same cheap fixtures/fittings have been used.

what is the first letter of his name at least.please name him so he can defend himself and also the rest of us can deal with him with caution.if he has scr*w*d you there is nothing to lose in naming him

Yaani even putting a magic connector on the sinks was a problem. Something simple and doesn't cost much. Never seen a kitchen drainage (that silver thing) being put as the bathroom drainage. When I asked the fundiz, they semad hizo ndio wamepewa.

To add insult to injury, moved out of site after liability period was over without issues being resolved despite numerous promises and reminders on record.

The guy is our very own MM. Most of you guys will be shocked and say I might be discrediting him lakini I know how much the shoe is pinching and how that toilet seat injured my makalioz (kulia kwa choo quite literally).

You should report the matter to NCA and involve your lawyer (if necessary) & bank. They will come survey the the structure just in case there're some structural flaws as well that can endanger your family. They also check on the fittings and they invite other professional bodies to inspect as well. They can blacklist the rogue contractor and ask him to redo and compensate you for your losses. Just try them, you never know. It might sound extreme but I know a friend who did and got sorted after all you don't know what will start falling apart after 10 years. Anyway, pole sana.

Construction errors are wide and diverse for a layman to spot them.
Actually, the key issue is inspection of design documents and specs then match with the product. If it does not meet your criteria, just know that woman or man is not your type and move on.
There is no one fit all house design.
Performance is another monster. Your level of performance is not necessarily equal to someone else.
Buildings. Sale criteria is as built, if not bought off the blue prints.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
hardwood
#68 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 10:42:47 AM

Shida all over....These developers!

https://www.standardmedi...ifestyle-dream-collapses
jamplu
#69 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 2:46:44 PM

Its very difficult for a home buyer to identify some of the issues and there are developers who are very good at covering their shoddy work with flashy tiles na kizungu mingi. Plumbing and sewer disposal is a major issue in most of these developments and its difficult to suspect shoddy job.
I don't think it will help to shaft another unsuspecting home buyer you can seek resolve the matter through courts but it will still take time.
itz
#70 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:06:35 PM

sparkly wrote:
itz wrote:

Standard construction contracts have a rectification period of 6-12 months after handover. During that time the client withholds payment of the final payment of 10% or so and the contractor rectifies any defects that arise.

This should be the case but is it applied by the whole industry and is it standard practice? edenville 2 for example which i would assume is a big developer gives 3 months which i find absurd.Do you know of any developers /contractors who have this kind of contract, would be good to know
essyk
#71 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 9:55:20 PM

This thread is disturbing.
Pole forester.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
hardwood
#72 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 2:24:28 PM

muandiwambeu
#73 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 7:48:55 PM

[quote=hardwood]You are not alone.....

https://www.dailymail.co...-new-280-000-house.html[/quote]
Go look at your house and report back. Those defects are a common thing. Fixing toilet smooth and clean is not priority to many fundis and supervisors often careless about them. Ety window sill, worktops and wardrobes, drainage desiltation, watakuchekelea. Not many contractors have that time. Even tiles are uneventful not cut squares ruggedness and unplumb fittings etc
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Sansa
#74 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2019 5:32:05 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:

Go look at your house and report back. Those defects are a common thing. Fixing toilet smooth and clean is not priority to many fundis and supervisors often careless about them. Ety window sill, worktops and wardrobes, drainage desiltation, watakuchekelea. Not many contractors have that time. Even tiles are uneventful not cut squares ruggedness and unplumb fittings etc

I've noticed this issue with many homes in Kenya. People have built large homes that look very beautiful from outside but inside the finishing is often subpar. For example poorly hang drawers, uneven stairs, tiles not cut square or that are not flush to each other, water draining poorly in the shower, socket covers crooked ... the list is soo long. It's like people are not proud of the work they produce and the home owners are not keen on these things.
Forester
#75 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 4:31:33 PM

Thank you Wazuans for your feedback/comments.

To say that i am disappointed by ITrade's feedback and subsequent actions after matter was brought to their attention is an understatement.

The coming weeks/months will be interesting.

Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs - Farrah Gray.
Chaka
#76 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 8:02:48 PM

Sansa wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:

I've noticed this issue with many homes in Kenya. People have built large homes that look very beautiful from outside but inside the finishing is often subpar. For example poorly hang drawers, uneven stairs, tiles not cut square or that are not flush to each other, water draining poorly in the shower, socket covers crooked ... the list is soo long. It's like people are not proud of the work they produce and the home owners are not keen on these things.

I agree with you...I think the fundis and the foreman/supervisors report to work drunk/intoxicated..
McGill
#77 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 10:46:49 PM

Chaka wrote:
Sansa wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:

I agree with you...I think the fundis and the foreman/supervisors report to work drunk/intoxicated..

In my case I had to remove doors and have another foreman redo the work. I came to learn that greed was a big issue for the guy. A foreman can take up 2 projects at the same time knowing very well that he cant manage. So you will just see him darting for like 4 hours then coming back just to be seen. Bure sana.
maureenowaters
#78 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:39:09 PM

actuarywahisa wrote:
Forester pole sana. I actually think it would be better to mention the actual name because guys use pseudonames. Kama mbaya mbaya.

I agree with you.
VituVingiSana
#79 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:07:17 AM

hardwood wrote:
Chaka wrote:
And who were the project architects..?I believe the architects are supposed to verify that construction is as per design..stage to stage,ie unless the architects goofed in the design from the start?

Forester wrote:

@Hardwood, the design flaw is in the lounge/sitting room. 3 blocks 34 units having the same problem. I gave up on these guys. They ran to Itrade Gardens and now ITrade Park.

I have seen that design where a giant window runs from the floor to the ceiling and beyond to the next floor. That leaves a small gap between the slab and the window grills and that's where the sound is channeled through. So it is an architectural design flaw.

That said I have lived in an apartment and it was the worst experience. The kids upstairs would play football and drag chairs in their sitting room daily till midnight. I couldn't watch a movie in peace. Then when I get to the bedroom their parents upstairs would be doing it daily and the whole night with the bed creaking endlessly. Imagine that scenario when my wife amefura and hasn't spoken to me for 2 weeks while the couple upstairs wako honeymoon 24/7? Then the toilets upstairs would be flushing all the time and at odd hours interrupting your sleep. Apartment living ni shida.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly You need to find out what your neighbor is doing right. If it is the lady, then either send your wife to learn the tricks of the trade. Or visit the lady upstairs Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Forester
#80 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 8:36:34 PM

https://youtu.be/3E_AQwzLDMs

Our woes continue...😑😑😑 Developer behaves like he is doing us a favour. Now Ministry of Health officials have given house owners a 7 day notice to rectify the issues. Grrrrrrr 😑😑😑
Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs - Farrah Gray.