wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

insurance claim
westkate
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:12:03 PM

hellos,
my car got an accident and after it was assessed,the insurance is offering me 695 k. i had insured 900k and its a 2004 car.
i have rejected the offer but the insurance insist the offer is adequate.
now do i go to a court of law or should i pick the cheque and forget . 695k can buy anything good now since the initial cost of the car was 1.2m. are all this insurance criminals and whats the purpose of insuring your asset if they will always pay you what they want when a problem arises.
lets talk now or never.
Kausha
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:02:41 PM

Was your insurance on agreed value basis or on assessed value. If agreed value drop a leter to IRA. If not then negotiate a lower depreciation rate coz a higher depreciation rate is beinf used to fix you.
shenzitype
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:10:05 PM

I concur if they valued the car within the last 2/3 yrs and you haven't had marterial damage since valuation that offer is not acceptable.
Gordon Gekko
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:17:26 PM

Will they offer you the first right to buy the salvage?
target1360
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:19:26 PM

westkate wrote:
hellos,
my car got an accident and after it was assessed,the insurance is offering me 695 k. i had insured 900k and its a 2004 car.
now do i go to a court of law or should i pick the cheque and forget . 695k can buy anything good now since the initial cost of the car was 1.2m. are all this insurance criminals and whats the purpose of insuring your asset if they will always pay you what they want when a problem arises.
lets talk now or never.

1. what reasons have the insurers given for paying you such amount?
2 what was the valuation of the car before the accident? for instance if the value was 1.2m and you insured at 900k then the insurer can only be liable upto 675k.

I find satisfaction in owning great business,not trading them
target1360
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:21:40 PM

3 what is the type of vehicle-private,commercial,psv?
4.what type of cover had you taken?
target1360
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:39:07 PM

likely scenario 1.
westkate insures her 1.2m vehicle at sh 900k
vehicle is written off and average clause comes into play.
900,000/1,200,000*900,000=sh 675,000
add her towing charges refund of sh 20,000 which sum up to sh 695,000.

chukua pesa and talk to me nicely to be your insurance broker in future so that i advise you!!
westkate
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:27:01 PM

The car is a psv Voxy with a comprehensive cover and accident free car before the accident.The value was agreed value, and am surprised my broker is unable to screw the insurance company.my greatest worry is that the 695k is not even close to to replace another vehichle. which is the best way to go .
can someone drop me the contact of IRB i try to contact them .
thanks
Gathige
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:55:00 PM

westkate wrote:
The car is a psv Voxy with a comprehensive cover and accident free car before the accident.The value was agreed value, and am surprised my broker is unable to screw the insurance company.my greatest worry is that the 695k is not even close to to replace another vehichle. which is the best way to go .
thanks

As @target1360 says, chukua pesa. Regulatory bodies will mostly rule in favor of their key convenors who in your case are the insurance companies. Sit down with your insurer and negotiate a better settlement but they won't pay you the insured value. The pain and agony of following up every day and finally not getting what you want may not be ten best option, unless your other name is SK Macharia who loves the courts.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Swenani
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:32:55 PM

westkate wrote:
thanks

If the value was agreed,You have no recourse...Always make sure that you value you car before taking out insurance.The insurance can claim that you had overinsured and they paid you based on the principleof indemnity.

The only alternative you have is to ask for an independent assessors value(be ready to bribe him)on top of his fees
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
brainstorm212
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2019 9:31:34 AM

Quote:
hellos,
lets talk now or never.

wow, you know, recently one dude crashed into my house and broke my wall completely. but my home insurance agreed to pay me compensations, but this process was delayed for half a year... then I decided that it's necessary to change home insurance
Angelica _ann
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2019 9:37:57 AM

brainstorm212 wrote:
Quote:
hellos,
lets talk now or never.

wow, you know, recently one dude crashed into my house and broke my wall completely. but my home insurance agreed to pay me compensations, but this process was delayed for half a year... then I decided that it's necessary to change home insurance

What type of home wall is 'broken' that easily?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Blukes
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2019 11:03:01 AM

target1360 wrote:
[quote=westkate]hellos,
lets talk now or never.

1. what reasons have the insurers given for paying you such amount?
2 what was the valuation of the car before the accident? for instance if the value was 1.2m and you insured at 900k then the insurer can only be liable upto 675k.

[/(Policy value*extent of damage)÷value of property gives the figure 675k. It's ok for complete damagequote]
Demixl
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2019 11:05:32 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
brainstorm212 wrote:
Quote:
hellos,
lets talk now or never.

What type of home wall is 'broken' that easily?

I believe him. A concrete wall from my house was demaged by a drunk driver. If he goes with with 180km/h, the concrete wall is like a paper one. Fortunatelly no one was in that room. That's a risk that assume by living 10m from the street. Of course that my insurance company covered the demage. Brainstorm212, look for another insurance company. Even if the war starts and a bomb falls on your house, they should cover it. I don't know where you're from but check https://homeownersinsurancecover.net/massachusetts/, you'll find some good companies.
kayhara
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2019 12:06:24 PM

Kenyan insurance firms SMH, they will look for all ways to not pay up.
To Each His Own
Bigchick
#16 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 10:21:11 PM

kayhara wrote:
Kenyan insurance firms SMH, they will look for all ways to not pay up.

Dare I say....Kenyans and their ignorance of insurance!

The truth of the matter is very few Kenyans take time to understand the risks covered and the exceptions therein.

Kenyans take a medical cover in Jan and appear in hospital in June for delivery,insurance says that's not covered coz it has a waiting period of 9months.Who to blame?
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.