wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
Nyama ya supermarket
Njunge
#41 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 1:53:01 PM

Town dwellers live on a majority percentage gabbage meat. Can't remember the last time the meat inspector in my area oversaw burying of a dead cow. Not that they don't die. They do every day. Some after being pumped with countless drugs but they still end up on some plates. There is every likely hood the 2k per kg beef came from a dead cow or some strange animal. I would know coz there is a slaughter house 1km from where I am. All the "beef" goes to Nrb and the locals can't touch it....
murchr
#42 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:17:04 PM

Sat Nation wrote:
Boiled matumbo, minced meat and chicken liver are some of the most contaminated meats being sold in some Nairobi supermarkets. According to certificates of analysis and examination exclusively seen by the Saturday Nation, Naivas supermarket is one of the outlets implicated. Two of the six contaminated samples were collected from two of the supermarket’s outlets, including Gateway Mall in Syokimau.

Ata matumbo....goodness. I once bought liver and some crystal thing was found in it. Nairobi wacha tu!
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Lolest!
#43 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 7:06:24 PM

Njunge wrote:
Town dwellers live on a majority percentage gabbage meat. Can't remember the last time the meat inspector in my area oversaw burying of a dead cow. Not that they don't die. They do every day. Some after being pumped with countless drugs but they still end up on some plates. There is every likely hood the 2k per kg beef came from a dead cow or some strange animal. I would know coz there is a slaughter house 1km from where I am. All the "beef" goes to Nrb and the locals can't touch it....

We're done!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Spikes
#44 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 10:17:46 PM

Shak wrote:
Thank you Denis for using your craft to bring about change. Let all the food sold by supermarkets also undergo testing

Kenyans hamna shukrani...After unraveling nasty things eating your country ni 'craft' tena. Jameni?
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
hardwood
#45 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:31:27 AM

Bigchick wrote:
Gathige wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
I agree with Hardwood re Ageing beef.
I never ever buy red looking beef.
It may be fresh but it will not have the tenderness and flavour of 21 to 28 days aged meat.
Aged beef, instead of looking bright red is brown in colour.

Unfortunately, very few high end butcheries age their beef.
You need a cold room to hang the meat for 21+ days.
It is also fairly expensive. A kilo from my butcher costs 2000/= per kilo.
But it is worth the price.

That is half-a goat in my locals. Where are these butchers who age their meat?

Kitusuru.

I came to know about these aged beef manenos when I visited one of the ranches in Kenya where they keep 9000 beef cattle (yes, nine thousand cattle). They supply their meat cuts to various high end outlets in the country. They slaughter 50 steers each week and the meat is aged in a coldroom within the ranch where it stays for about 21-28 days, or more, under very specific temperature and humidity conditions. The aged beef is then transported using refrigerated trucks to various high end outlets within the country, including tourist hotels, top restaurants and butcheries.

Aged beef is more expensive because during the ageing process, the meat loses about 20% of the weight. Also different cuts have different prices and its true premium cuts like t-bones, rib eye and sirloin steaks can go for upto 2k.

For years I thought that meat from a freshly slaughtered animal was the best quality but the meat expert at the ranch informed me that when an animal is killed/slaughtered, the body stiffens (rigor mortis) and the meat/muscles become very stiff and is very tough even when cooked. During the ageing process the muscles slowly relax and the tough muscle fibres break down via enzymatic and chemical reactions while the flavour of the beef increases. So after 21 days of ageing the juicy steak just melts in your mouth.

An interesting thing I also noted is that the ranch has a "bulls quarters", where the champion bulls are kept and each bull is required to mate with 15 cows dailysmile to replenish the herd.

So @njunge pole sana, @matatamingi & other high end customers do not take that lubbish from your village. That trash probably ends up in burma market and then in estate butcheries and later on onto the plates of some middo crass wazuansSad .
MatataMingi
#46 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:03:11 AM

Gathige wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
It may be fresh but it will not have the tenderness and flavour of 21 to 28 days aged meat.

When I was living in Nairobi 8 years ago, I used to get aged beef from Gilanis in ABC, Midway in Valley Arcade and Sharrow in Lavington Green.

Now that I am living at the Coast, I use Anglo Danish Butcheries in Ratna Centre in Nyali.

Please note that the price is not just for a chunk of meat.
Aged beef is always sold as ready cuts like fillet, rib eye, sirloin, T Bone etc.

These butchers also sell fresh beef, which is much cheaper.
Njunge
#47 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:08:04 PM

@matatamingi,
If I were you, I would not be too sure. I know virtually all ranches in Laikipia and I can tell you what goes on. You were impressed by a smart farm manager with fancy processes, procedures and lingo that rarely leaves his/her office but meant to hypnotise monied idiots. What happens when animals die in this ranches is not for everybody. I reiterate, if you are not rearing your own animals, you eat gabbage once in a while.
Spikes
#48 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:52:05 PM

Njunge wrote:
@matatamingi,
If I were you, I would not be too sure. I know virtually all ranches in Laikipia and I can tell you what goes on. You were impressed by a smart farm manager with fancy processes, procedures and lingo that rarely leaves his/her office but meant to hypnotise monied idiots. What happens when animals die in this ranches is not for everybody. I reiterate, if you are not rearing your own animals, you eat gabbage once in a while.

Tell them brotherApplause Applause Applause
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
Njunge
#49 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:19:29 PM

Spikes wrote:
Njunge wrote:
@matatamingi,

I don't know who told this funny Kenyans that dead cows do not have fillet, rib eyes and sirloin sijui cuts.... Smh
hardwood
#50 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:06:48 PM

Njunge wrote:
Spikes wrote:
Njunge wrote:
@matatamingi,

I don't know who told this funny Kenyans that dead cows do not have fillet, rib eyes and sirloin sijui cuts.... Smh

So you guys know more about beef than the guy raising 9,000 cattle and "ageing" hundreds each month? Isokei. As they say little knowledge is very dangerous.
tinker
#51 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:15:17 PM

hardwood wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
Gathige wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:

Kitusuru.

I came to know about these aged beef manenos when I visited one of the ranches in Kenya where they keep 9000 beef cattle (yes, nine thousand cattle). They supply their meat cuts to various high end outlets in the country. They slaughter 50 steers each week and the meat is aged in a coldroom within the ranch where it stays for about 21-28 days, or more, under very specific temperature and humidity conditions. The aged beef is then transported using refrigerated trucks to various high end outlets within the country, including tourist hotels, top restaurants and butcheries.

Aged beef is more expensive because during the ageing process, the meat loses about 20% of the weight. Also different cuts have different prices and its true premium cuts like t-bones, rib eye and sirloin steaks can go for upto 2k.

For years I thought that meat from a freshly slaughtered animal was the best quality but the meat expert at the ranch informed me that when an animal is killed/slaughtered, the body stiffens (rigor mortis) and the meat/muscles become very stiff and is very tough even when cooked. During the ageing process the muscles slowly relax and the tough muscle fibres break down while the flavour of the beef increases. So after 21 days of ageing the juicy steak just melts in your mouth.

An interesting thing I also noted is that the ranch has a "bulls quarters", where the champion bulls are kept and each bull is required to mate with 15 cows dailysmile to replenish the herd.

So @njunge pole sana, @matatamingi & other high end customers do not take that lubbish from your village. That trash probably ends up in burma market and then in estate butcheries and later on onto the plates of some middo crass wazuansSad .

This part reminds me of an instance; we once had a lunch in a Deli,in one of a well known supermarket chain. The beef we ate was extra-ordinary juicy and soft, exactly as @Matatamob has described.
We were convinced it was a combination of 'aged beef' and very good Chef....until after Denis expose.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
Njunge
#52 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:41:16 PM

hardwood wrote:
[quote=Njunge][quote=Spikes][quote=Njunge]As they say little knowledge is very dangerous.

I know nothing about beef cattle rearing. That's how limited my knowledge is. One thing I am sure I know is sick cows, game meat of dead animals and stillborn calves are unfit food for humans. You can give them all the fancy name you'll find. Sirloin, cuts, fillet,flank steaks, chuck sijui short plate.... Damn! They are from a dead sick cow!!!
hardwood
#53 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:17:14 PM

ION, I hear that some local butchers make minced meat and mutura from cow airports, uteruses, bull landing gear, balls etc.
hardwood
#54 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:34:39 PM

hardwood
#55 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:51:15 PM

tinker wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
Gathige wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:

Kitusuru.

For years I thought that meat from a freshly slaughtered animal was the best quality but the meat expert at the ranch informed me that when an animal is killed/slaughtered, the body stiffens (rigor mortis) and the meat/muscles become very stiff and is very tough even when cooked. During the ageing process the muscles slowly relax and the tough muscle fibres break down while the flavour of the beef increases. So after 21 days of ageing the juicy steak just melts in your mouth.

This part reminds me of an instance; we once had a lunch in a Deli,in one of a well known supermarket chain. The beef we ate was extra-ordinary juicy and soft, exactly as @Matatamob has described.
We were convinced it was a combination of 'aged beef' and very good Chef....until after Denis expose.

Those supermarkets e.g. naivas have those cold rooms hapo kwa meat section where you can see the hanged beef being "aged". So the beef juiciness and tenderness was due to beef ageing. So that is where you should be buying your meat.
Njunge
#56 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:13:42 PM

Shak
#57 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 10:54:31 AM

Spikes wrote:
Shak wrote:
Thank you Denis for using your craft to bring about change. Let all the food sold by supermarkets also undergo testing

Kenyans hamna shukrani...After unraveling nasty things eating your country ni 'craft' tena. Jameni?

I hope you're just joking.
Swenani
#58 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 1:52:59 PM

Shak wrote:
Spikes wrote:
Shak wrote:

hajui meaning ya craft, pls forgive him
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
mkenyan
#59 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 2:34:42 PM

Swenani wrote:
Shak wrote:
Spikes wrote:
Shak wrote:

the only craft he knows of is witchcraft Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
masukuma
#60 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 5:12:25 PM

mkenyan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Shak wrote:
Spikes wrote:
Shak wrote:

the only craft he knows of is witchcraft Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Art and witchCraft!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!