wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<456
SGR officially dead. What next?
iris
#101 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:03:47 AM

obiero wrote:
Siringi wrote:

Simple question really who are these mysterious local partners and how were they sourced and for what consideration

we were shafted on the Safaricom IPO by Mobitelea this is another Mobitelea in the offing

Sensationalism

The question then is why have they been secretive?
VituVingiSana
#102 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:18:52 AM

Conquestador wrote:
Is increasing the frequency of passenger train a better option? Have a train each direction every 2hrs. Make ticketing simple and straight forward.

Obtain faster engines to do Nrb-MSA in 3 hours
Can the line even handle trains running at 160 Km/h? In China, they have true high-speed trains going at 300+ km/h.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#103 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:20:26 AM

Gathige wrote:
Siringi wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

True there Obiero
Before The president launched it,the Chinese were not for the low fares GoK announced.
The economy class wasn't supposed to be there,the cheapest fare and class was the current first class which was to be economy class then business and first class just like we have for air travel.

KES 1,000 for the comfort on offer is bad business costing.. They should aim to reprice it at KES 2,000

Passenger Service was not and is not the core business of SGR. Cargo Is. But even Cargo the arithmetic is not making sense. The pricing vis-à-vis trucking is like heaven and earth .
The feasibility study must have been bullcrap

SGR like many public enterprises will never return a profit or ven pay back in our life' time. I doubt even the Chinese expect us to repay the loans comfortably but they keeep pumping funds as part of their global belts projects.

Our SGR is just like our our KQ, a source of national pride but a disgraced enterprise which turn losses years round.
"Source of National Pride"? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Neither.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Milefeyk
#104 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:07:54 PM

I have always been quite sceptical about this sort of development in state. These situations could be seen in past on several occasions. First government says that they dont have money to finish project, and then some mysterious saviour shows up and bring money !? I mean, what’s going on?
obiero
#105 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:14:58 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:
Is increasing the frequency of passenger train a better option? Have a train each direction every 2hrs. Make ticketing simple and straight forward.

Can the line even handle trains running at 160 Km/h? In China, they have true high-speed trains going at 300+ km/h.

That thing moves at 120kph which isn't world's apart from 160kph

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
maka
#106 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:42:06 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

Worlds apart my friend...
possunt quia posse videntur
hardwood
#107 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:57:40 PM

maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

I always feel uncomfortable when I drive at 120kph and thus I stick to 100kph max. If anyone wants higher speeds they can take obiero's KQ to mombasa.
VituVingiSana
#108 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:54:06 PM

hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

I always feel uncomfortable when I drive at 120kph and thus I stick to 100kph max. If anyone wants higher speeds they can take obiero's KQ to mombasa.
We were discussing train(not car/vehicle) speeds.

160km/h is 33% faster than 120 km/h
Nairobi to Mombasa in 2.5 hours vs 3.33 hours. That's a huge difference when one considers the train daily frequencies can be increased using the same equipment.

It has an even greater impact for Mombasa-Kisumu trips.
freiks
#109 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 10:16:21 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

Nairobi to Mombasa in 2.5 hours vs 3.33 hours. That's a huge difference when one considers the train daily frequencies can be increased using the same equipment.

But the SGR management is crazy, the NRB -MSA express train was full since yesterday for today )friday) why not increase wagons on friday to cater for extra passengers?
Life is an endless adventure
Swenani
#110 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 2:34:30 PM

freiks wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

But the SGR management is crazy, the NRB -MSA express train was full since yesterday for today )friday) why not increase wagons on friday to cater for extra passengers?

Why should they increase the trains or wagons for your one weekend convenience?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Ericsson
#111 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 5:18:49 PM

https://www.bloomberg.co...th-a-railroad-to-nowhere
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Impunity
#112 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 9:01:17 PM

freiks wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

There is a maximum length of train the single track can accommodate.
Too long a train may not pass each other at the loops or stations.
This was possible if we had a double track all the way.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

hardwood
#113 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:54:51 AM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-07-19/china-s-belt-and-road-leaves-kenya-with-a-railroad-to-nowhere

Fake news.
Ericsson
#114 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2019 4:44:29 PM

https://www.standardmedi...sgr-takes-up-more-funds

China’s debt ballooned to Sh650 billion in 12 months to June 2019 after the country raked up more loans from Beijing to fund the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR).

Kenya chalked up an extra Sh97 billion from the Asian nation during this period. The loans included Sh44.7 billion for the second phase of the SGR from Nairobi to Naivasha and a Sh35.2 billion instalment for the first phase of the railway from Mombasa to Nairobi.

This saw China’s stock of debt climb up from Sh553 billion as of June 2018, even as the world’s second-largest economy cemented its position as Kenya’s leading bilateral lender.

Japan, whose debt stock increased by Sh49 billion to reach Sh132.2 billion, remains a distant second.
During this period, the World Bank’s debt increased by nearly a similar value to China’s to hit Sh607.2 billion. This is after the global lender approved a $750 million (Sh75 billion) loan to Kenya for budget support towards the end of the 2018/19 financial year.
Meanwhile, Kenya’s stock of expensive loans rose to 36 per cent of the total debt, from 24 per cent in June 2016. However, the fraction of cheap loans from multilateral institutions such as the World Bank declined from 45 per cent three years ago to 30 per cent.

Commercial loans crossed the trillion-mark after the country successfully issued its third Eurobond, a dollar-denominated sovereign bond, from which it raised Sh210 billion.
Treasury borrowed Sh770 billion in the 2018/19 financial year that ended in June against an initial target of Sh635.5 billion, or 6.3 per cent of the GDP, as increased wages and interest on loans forced the country back into the debt market.
Ericsson
#115 Posted : Monday, September 09, 2019 12:18:56 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49580863

Letter from Africa: 'I gave up on catching the train in Ethiopia'

In our series of letters from African journalists, Ismail Einashe writes about his failed attempt to catch a train in Ethiopia despite the hype around a new Chinese-built railway.

In Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, it is hard to miss the large advertising boards along the traffic-clogged streets that promise "new railway, new life".

The signs are for the $4.5bn (£3.6bn) Chinese-built Addis-Djibouti standard gauge railway (SGR) connecting landlocked Ethiopia's 100 million people with tiny Djibouti on the Red Sea.

The 750km (465 mile) railway line began operations in January 2018 and is Africa's first electrified cross-border railway.

Trains hit camels
For Ethiopia this is more than just a railway project, it is the crown jewel in the development ambitions of Africa's fastest-growing economy, which aspires to reach middle-income status by the mid-2020s.
But since the SGR opened it has experienced financial and operational difficulties.

In January train services were halted for a while over security concerns in the Afar region, following protests against the government and ethnic clashes between Somalis and Afars.

And last year a stoppage was caused by trains colliding with camels, leading to pastoralists demanding the government compensate them for the loss of their precious livestock.

Visiting the old French-built station
Yet ever since I heard the SGR had opened in Ethiopia I was desperate to take the train, which departs every other day at 0800 local time.

I had planned to travel from Addis Ababa to Dire Dawa, a city in Ethiopia I had not seen in over 25 years.
But my excitement soon turned to frustration when I realised how difficult it would be to buy a ticket - in neighbouring Kenya you go on the SGR website, buy your ticket and pay via the money mobile service, M-Pesa, but in Ethiopia things were a little more difficult.

I went on its SGR website and only found a number for a ticket office at the old French-built Addis Terminus in the heart of the city.

I kept calling, but no-one picked up. In the end, I braved the torrential rain to go to the grand old station.
Once there, however, trying to find the ticket office also proved difficult. The guards looked bemused by my inquiry.

When I did find it on the first floor, the woman behind the wooden desk seemed equally bemused by my request for a return ticket.

She told me to wait for her manager. He in turn said they did not sell the train tickets - but if I wanted bus tickets, I could buy those.

If it was the train I really wanted, he said I should go to the new Chinese-built station outside Addis Ababa and buy my ticket there.
The manager assured me the SGR was working, but advised I arrive early - by 06:30.

I felt reassured, until the next problem - finding the location of this new station.

It is not as easy as you may imagine, first of all the station is not yet on Google Maps and locals seemed clueless.

Forced to fly
At last a hotel receptionist found me a taxi driver in the know, who said it was a 90-minute drive away - and would cost $18, almost as expensive as the train ticket.

So we set off on a cold, wet, dark Tuesday at 05:00.

We drove past the changing landscape of Bole district in Addis Ababa, where I used to live - but it's now very different: full of huge, newly built hotels and malls.

We drove along a newly built road for several kilometres before the large Furi-Labu railway station appeared from nowhere.
The building, which looked like it had been parachuted directly from China to Ethiopia, was completely deserted - only a soldier stood guard, with a few Chinese workers roaming around.

It felt eerie, as if abandoned. I walked up the huge concrete steps and spoke to the soldier who told me the station had been closed for at least "two weeks" as there were technical issues with track near Dire Dawa.
There would be no trains that morning.

I returned to the hotel - again covered in mud after torrential rain - left with no choice but to fly.

But the internet was down - not an unusual situation in Ethiopia these days - so I had to book my flight by phone.

And by the time I should have been arriving at Dire Dawa's new station at 15.50 that day, I was instead in the departure lounge at Addis Ababa airport waiting for my gate to be announced.