Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
I think Sylvia is brilliant. She holds the second highest position at Safaricom after the CEO and if you look at what her role entails, it's very serious. However, GoK cannot be trusted!!

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.
That is the pecking order

Sylvia role is more important than CFO/CTO my friend. There is a reason that CCO position was specially created.

Even the arrangement of senior management on their website does well to highlight that.

Is she an appointee by Vodafone?
The arrangement is to cheat your eyes.Before her there was a guy called Peter Arina who was very sure he was second in command and was to succeed Michael Joseph.

She has 5 business units reporting to her. Consumer Business, Sales Operations, Customer Care Service, Brand Marketing & Experience, Digital and Market Development. These are the biggest parts of their operations.

Tell me who else apart from the CEO is bigger than her at Safaricom with this JD.

CFO handles all the corporate stuff including Slyvia's unit yawa.

No he doesn't. Sylvia doesn't report to the CFO. CFO looks at mambo ya hesabu and investor relations. Very important role but not more important than CCO.

Sylvia is an appointee of Bob.
CFO and CTO are appointees of Vodafone.
No matter how many business units reports to her,that's inconsequential.

Mulinge was appointed by Vodafone to run Vodacom TZ. If Vodafone had confidence in her then she is good to run Safcom. Though I suspect her stint at Vodacom TZ was supposed to be training to takeover Safcom in the future until TZ government booted her out.
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
murchr
#82 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 7:34:02 PM

guru267 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
I think Sylvia is brilliant. She holds the second highest position at Safaricom after the CEO and if you look at what her role entails, it's very serious. However, GoK cannot be trusted!!

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

Sylvia role is more important than CFO/CTO my friend. There is a reason that CCO position was specially created.

Even the arrangement of senior management on their website does well to highlight that.

The arrangement is to cheat your eyes.Before her there was a guy called Peter Arina who was very sure he was second in command and was to succeed Michael Joseph.

She has 5 business units reporting to her. Consumer Business, Sales Operations, Customer Care Service, Brand Marketing & Experience, Digital and Market Development. These are the biggest parts of their operations.

Tell me who else apart from the CEO is bigger than her at Safaricom with this JD.

No he doesn't. Sylvia doesn't report to the CFO. CFO looks at mambo ya hesabu and investor relations. Very important role but not more important than CCO.

Mulinge was appointed by Vodafone to run Vodacom TZ. If Vodafone had confidence in her then she is good to run Safcom. Though I suspect her stint at Vodacom TZ was supposed to be training to takeover Safcom in the future until TZ government booted her out.

And to add, Sylvia was not just appointed by Bob, she was at Safaricom since its inception , rose through the ranks under MJ and Bob thought she was brilliant. A Wazua keyboard warrior cannot take that away from her.

When she was away in TZ waiting for to take over the Vodacom job, Safaricom's sales went down and only improved when Bob reappointed her in office - look at the books, and presentation by Sateesh.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#83 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 7:55:03 PM

guru267 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

@guru
I agree with you there.Tz was to be training but didn't materialize
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#84 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 7:57:28 PM

murchr wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

And to add, Sylvia was not just appointed by Bob, she was at Safaricom since its inception , rose through the ranks under MJ and Bob thought she was brilliant. A Wazua keyboard warrior cannot take that away from her.

When she was away in TZ waiting for to take over the Vodacom job, Safaricom's sales went down and only improved when Bob reappointed her in office - look at the books, and presentation by Sateesh.

Lies and lies
Sylvia didn't join safaricom at it's inception. She joined safaricom in 2006.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
NewMoney
#85 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:07:07 PM

Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

Lies and lies

if they decide to go with a Kenyan, it will most definitely be Sylvia,
murchr
#86 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:10:01 PM

Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

Lies and lies

You finally got to use google...congratulations. Pewa njugu now its a fact that as Safcom was listing and becoming a company Silvia was in there toiling and walking barefoot right? Just as an FYI her first job was to convince customers that Prepay was better than Kencell's post pay...how did she do?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#87 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:19:17 PM

Safaricom is a telecoms company and should have a telecoms engineer at the helm. Just like Michael Joseph is an engineer. It shouldn't be led by accountants (CFOs) or PR/marketing people (CCOs). Infact finance and customer care are just support departments of the company, the company's core is provision of telecoms service. The tech is core then you get someone to help handle customers (CCO) and someone else to keep an eye on the cash (CFO). Therefore the CFO and CCO should feature nowhere in the CEO succession.
murchr
#88 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:29:22 PM

hardwood wrote:
Safaricom is a telecoms company and should have a telecoms engineer at the helm. Just like Michael Joseph is an engineer. It shouldn't be led by accountants (CFOs) or PR/marketing people (CCOs). Infact finance and customer care are just support departments of the company, the company's core is provision of telecoms service. The tech is core then you get someone to help handle customers (CCO) and someone else to keep an eye on the cash (CFO). Therefore the CFO and CCO should feature nowhere in the CEO succession.

Bob was spectacular and yet he just like Sylvia rose through the ranks in Vodafone. Nothing engineering not even a degree.

To be a CEO you must have a high EQ vs IQ test.
Kusadikika
#89 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:44:57 PM

The greatest tests for a Kenyan CEO of Safaricom are going to be ethical questions not technological or business or growth questions.

The man or woman is going to be tested with fire. There are sharks swimming in these waters. A trillion shilling company will attract a lot of sharks. You cannot afford to have loose ends in your family or legally or in any way that can be exploited. A foreigner was insulated from many things that a Kenyan will have to confront.

People will call you. I can imagine people like Sonko and friends of Sonko. You will be insulted, you will be blackmailed, you will be intimidated, you will be threatened. It is one job I would not take even if I was given what.

People will say there are many corporate jobs in Kenya and many Kenyan companies with Kenyan CEOs. My answer is there has never been a Kenyan company like Safaricom ...... wait wait I take that back there once were two. Kenya Posts and Telecommunications and Kenya power and Lighting Company before it was split into KPLC and Kengen. Those 2 were government owned and the CEOs were appointed by the president.

I would not be surprised if they settle on an old hand like Ogutu or they create co-CEO positions so that there are at least 2 CEOs. Maybe a head of Mpesa and head of the other business who jointly share the CEO role.
Rollout
#90 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 9:14:30 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
The greatest tests for a Kenyan CEO of Safaricom are going to be ethical questions not technological or business or growth questions.

The man or woman is going to be tested with fire. There are sharks swimming in these waters. A trillion shilling company will attract a lot of sharks. You cannot afford to have loose ends in your family or legally or in any way that can be exploited. A foreigner was insulated from many things that a Kenyan will have to confront.

People will call you. I can imagine people like Sonko and friends of Sonko. You will be insulted, you will be blackmailed, you will be intimidated, you will be threatened. It is one job I would not take even if I was given what.

People will say there are many corporate jobs in Kenya and many Kenyan companies with Kenyan CEOs. My answer is there has never been a Kenyan company like Safaricom ...... wait wait I take that back there once were two. Kenya Posts and Telecommunications and Kenya power and Lighting Company before it was split into KPLC and Kengen. Those 2 were government owned and the CEOs were appointed by the president.

I would not be surprised if they settle on an old hand like Ogutu or they create co-CEO positions so that there are at least 2 CEOs. Maybe a head of Mpesa and head of the other business who jointly share the CEO role.

Agree, CEO is a unique role, once can be a COO or CFO or CTO all their career and fail to make it to be a CEO. To find a CEO for Safaricom who is a Kenyan is a tall task
Fyatu
#91 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 9:24:33 PM

Safaricom is where it is today because of constant innovation....The new CEO will have to continue with this tradition . Chances are high that a GOK influenced CEO might not be as inspiring and therefore stagnate the firm. Sylivia might be brilliant as is being peddled around.I also believe there are a thousand brilliant Kenyans out there. However, If she becomes CEO or whoever becomes CEO they better think/encourage new ideas for Safaricom to move to the next level.

If i was asked, i would suggest that Safaricom get into the internet of things business. I would also like to see Safcom getting into blockchain/crypto currencies. A good place to start is to make bonga points equate to money(something they have been doing with purchase of airtime/data) etc

I would also like Safaricom to be part of the upcoming Libra.Libra will be a major disruption that will erase the memory human beings have of money.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
murchr
#92 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:05:12 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Safaricom is where it is today because of constant innovation....The new CEO will have to continue with this tradition . Chances are high that a GOK influenced CEO might not be as inspiring and therefore stagnate the firm. Sylivia might be brilliant as is being peddled around.I also believe there are a thousand brilliant Kenyans out there. However, If she becomes CEO or whoever becomes CEO they better think/encourage new ideas for Safaricom to move to the next level.

If i was asked, i would suggest that Safaricom get into the internet of things business. I would also like to see Safcom getting into blockchain/crypto currencies. A good place to start is to make bonga points equate to money(something they have been doing with purchase of airtime/data) etc

I would also like Safaricom to be part of the upcoming Libra.Libra will be a major disruption that will erase the memory human beings have of money.

Libra might not take off

House lawmakers officially ask Facebook to put Libra cryptocurrency project on hold
Failed Businessman
#93 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 3:31:39 AM

Fyatu wrote:

I hope they do something with a global goal
Unfortunately I can't change my username SMH!
Fyatu
#94 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 7:48:44 AM

murchr wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Libra might not take off

House lawmakers officially ask Facebook to put Libra cryptocurrency project on hold

It might not take off in the near future but the idea has already been planted. The only challenge is whether China or India will accept it. Africa might be the early adopters.Better be prepared for any eventuality.
It is time to invest in assets of yore that will back these coins. Cattle, gold and silver.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
nairobby
#95 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 9:35:49 AM

hardwood wrote:

The next CEO will be someone who is good at M&A. Bob already hinted that in some interview some few months ago.
I like Sylvia but I think it's better if she stays in that role.
Safaricom needs to up its growth rate and M&A will be the key driver.
Conquestador
#96 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 9:46:28 AM

Kusadikika wrote:

Well said. The 'mass hysteria' and keyboard appointers could have just robbed the lady of that CEO gig. CEOs are appointed by shareholders and are expected to have total and visceral loyalty to no one else.

There is also the small matter of toes stepped on over time. In corporate life, what you see is not what you get. Her biggest detractors do not work in Safcom (anymore), have no public face but they have mouths very close to important ears in London, Joburg and Nairobi.

Most importantly though is the 'real' strategic plan for the company which most likely nobody along Waiyaki Way has seen. That is, Safcom in 5-10 years. That plan would likely be implemented not by status quo but a fresh pair of eyes. Like somebody has suggested, we may see a co-CEO role created as a way of managing her and us #upandout.
Conquestador
#97 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 9:57:30 AM

nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

The 'concentration risk' is very high. No matter how good someone is, we should not heap such a burden on them. Though this reeks of other attributes such as political acumen. Perhaps we have in the incumbent an answer for 2022?
murchr
#98 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 4:44:30 PM

Conquestador wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:

Well said. The 'mass hysteria' and keyboard appointers could have just robbed the lady of that CEO gig. CEOs are appointed by shareholders and are expected to have total and visceral loyalty to no one else.

There is also the small matter of toes stepped on over time. In corporate life, what you see is not what you get. Her biggest detractors do not work in Safcom (anymore), have no public face but they have mouths very close to important ears in London, Joburg and Nairobi.

Most importantly though is the 'real' strategic plan for the company which most likely nobody along Waiyaki Way has seen. That is, Safcom in 5-10 years. That plan would likely be implemented not by status quo but a fresh pair of eyes. Like somebody has suggested, we may see a co-CEO role created as a way of managing her and us #upandout.

CEO'S are appointed by the board. And she csn choose to decline an offer.
Kusadikika
#99 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 8:33:45 PM

Beyond a certain size CEOs position is more politics than business. During his funeral service it is coming out how Bob was connected to so many people; The president would call him, he had a boys club made up of Oigara (CEO KCB), Patrick Quarcoo (CEO Radio Africa), Bharat (CEO Scangroup), CEO Stanchart, Jeff Koinange, Peter Kenneth etc. For a company as vast as Safaricom these relationships are part and parcel of the job. To maintain those relationships you need to be a politician.

However technically competent you are if you are the type that likes to do your job and go home to spend private time with your family and then go to church on Sunday you will not manage it.
obiero
#100 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 9:44:30 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
Beyond a certain size CEOs position is more politics than business. During his funeral service it is coming out how Bob was connected to so many people; The president would call him, he had a boys club made up of Oigara (CEO KCB), Patrick Quarcoo (CEO Radio Africa), Bharat (CEO Scangroup), CEO Stanchart, Jeff Koinange, Peter Kenneth etc. For a company as vast as Safaricom these relationships are part and parcel of the job. To maintain those relationships you need to be a politician.

However technically competent you are if you are the type that likes to do your job and go home to spend private time with your family and then go to church on Sunday you will not manage it.

Church is a must.. But MJ was pretty blunt when he said NONE of the EXCO fits profile of CEO at Safaricom.. That statement must be hurtful to the EXCO team

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45