Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Poll Question : MY NEW POSITION ON KENYA'S PROPOSED CONSTITUTION
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes.......(click) 56 60 %
No.........(click) 34 36 %
None of the Above...(click) 3 3 %
Total 93 100%

5 Pages<1234>»
Proposed constitution: new opinion poll...
willin2learn
#21 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 1:40:20 PM

According to wikipedia 'A referendum (also known as a plebiscite or a ballot question) is a direct vote in which an entire electorate is asked to either accept or reject a particular proposal'

There in lies my problem with this 'referendum' . if the Government does not expect anyone to vote against the draft, why call the exercise a referendum. They should just call it a 'Decree' and we shall all vote for it. Why give choices if you only expect one response?
youcan'tstopusnow
#22 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:46:10 PM

Judging on this poll, the referendum is going to be a thrashing for the "NO" team.
Wazua, when are the "polling stations" closing, or this thing will run till August 4th?
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Fundaah
#23 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 1:54:22 PM

Thank you for Voting Yes....
Please preach yes to your neighbor
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Hi-Lo
#24 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 4:10:42 PM

...quoting Saul's 2nd letter to Corinthians dated Spring' 37 AD ...RAO yesterday preached to Watermelons as follows...

2 Corinthians 1:18-20 (New International Version)

18But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not "Yes" and "No." 19For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas[a] and Timothy, was not "Yes" and "No," but in him it has always been "Yes." 20For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God.
Fundaah
#25 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:27:53 AM

The 'Yes' team grassroots strategy by Kibaki and RAO may now work at last ....They have to go to the grass roots ...otherwise there will be a big upset by the No...By the way this weekend I managed to convert afew stray 'NOs' to the Fold of 'Yes'....at my upcountry home ....the reasons they gave was that no one has come to explain to the what is good in the draft so they had decided to say 'No' because they cant say Yes to something they do not know.....they have not even received copies of the draft...

'Yes' people go to your roots...take a weekend and visit your parents ..grand parents at the villages...help them understand the Draft ...Its a draft that will definitely change our country's political system ....for the Better
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
msotoville
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:40:55 PM

I solidly vote Nada!

The constitution is a like an urn of milk. If one cow has mastitis, the entire consignment is crap.

Granted, the draft has some good in it, but a few clauses put the it (the draft) and the intelligence/sanity of the CoE to question.
Other than my main concern (public finance - chapter 12), other iffy clauses arise...such as Citizenship.

Chapter 3
Clause 14 (4)
A child found in Kenya who is, or appears to be less than eight years of age, and whose nationality and parents are not known, is presumed to be a citizen by birth.

How do you naturalize any kiddo under 8 found wandering within our borders as a citizen? Dude, we're surrounded by volatile peeps like Somalia, Ethiopia, South Sudan along an extremely porous border; we have pirate ransom money doing the rounds in Eastleigh and seriously causing havoc in real estate...a clause like 14(4) above, in our circumstances, can only be described as irretrievably daft.

I vote we sort the iffy bits then go for the referendum. Gova iki kaa ngumu, kura yangu ni NO!
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!
ProverB
#27 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:44:48 PM

i am voting "NO"... silently, politely,peacefully. Let the records show that when it counted most..against all odds..one ProverB... said NO..Even against overwhelming YES.
..Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven...Matt5:16
- 1769 Oxford King James Bible 'Authorized Version
Fundaah
#28 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:09:12 PM

Msotoville ...I calmly and with sisterly love wish to request you to reconsider your stand....if anyone decides to misuse any of the clauses in the draft....we the people of Kenya will stand up and begin another constitutional ammendment...to seal any loophole ....If you agree that all the other clauses are fine with you except the one on citizenship.... why not come to 'Yes' then we wait and see if your fears will materialise...and then we act....by calling for ammendments....why throw the baby with the birth towel because you found the baby had a small defect ...?

@ ProverB I believe you are astute investor....You wish to see your investments grow....Voting NO will really punish your investment desire....I know as an astute investor I have known you ...at least as per your wazua contributions .....You should be bothered about the political stability of the country you are investing ....A No vote is a Vote for uncertainity and political risk .....the future of your investment will be uncertain....Please reconsider..Pray Pray

http://www.standardmedia...14&j=&m=&d=

Remember the Constitutional Ammendment Act 2008 does not provide for reversing of the process once one stage has been passed .....to keep sabotoures of the process at bay....

And since the tower of before babel ....all the people cannot agree on all issues in one language ....so expecting a 100% consensus is actually questioning the authority of God over his creation ....since is brought down the tower of babel ....to ensure that people cannot speak in one voice /language...HE is Almighty and unquestionable....
msotoville
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:25:42 PM

muganda wrote:

.....He has resolved not to let go of any more chances, especially if more than 90% of the document is good.

--Spoke to an older wise man who said Kenyans need to read Vision 2030 document and view the constitution from this perspective. If the three pillars for this Vision are - economic, social, political - does delaying the document in its current state bring us closer to the vision?

Vision 2030 aims to ensure gains made under vision are neither reversed nor lost as a result of political change through 8 governance principles:
1.constitutional supremacy
2.sovereignity of the people
3.equality of citizens
4.national values, goals, ideology
5.viable political party system
6.public participation in governance
7.separation of powers
8.decentralisation

@Muganda

Impressive.

Besides the MBA/LLB logic that looks enticing on paper, let me give you my side of jua kali logic that has been honed by difficulties, perfected by auctioneers and corrected by River Road.

Vision 2030 all boils down to CHUMS. If our finances are crap, Vision 2030 (in all its glossy paperback glory) may be little more than a bedtime story courtesy of a defective constitution.

There are some good bits, like the Equalisation Fund, Controller of Budget, yada yada....but one teeny weeny bit we don't see is the ultimate authority lies with 349 thugs otherwise known as MP's (masters of perjury).

How sure are we that they will put the country first when deciding CBK's role (Chpter 12, 231(5)) or when approving the reports of the Controller of Budget and Auditor General (Ch.12,228(6), 229(8))?
How do we know that these individuals (Controller of Budget/Auditor General) won't be zombie-like lackeys out to fulfill the will of their puppet-masters in Bunge? Do they have security of tenure, or will they be hounded out of office like Kimunya? (And before you mention Uhuru and his Passats, remember, THOSE CLOWNS STILL AIN'T PAYING TAX!)

@Muganda, we all know how a slight shift in public policy can make a few individuals wealthy and impoverish a nation, innit?

I'm no Prof/Dr or Authority in law/finance, but when some parts of the Draft are placed under the microscope of Street Smarts, a whole lotta things don't make sense, AND a whole lotta loop holes emerge.

I haven't always been a law abiding citizen - if I say there are loop holes, trust me, THERE ARE LOOPHOLES.

My two cents.smile
Wendz
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:47:15 PM

msotoville wrote:
[quote=muganda]

How sure are we that they will put the country first when deciding CBK's role (Chpter 12, 231(5)) or when approving the reports of the Controller of Budget and Auditor General (Ch.12,228(6), 229(8))?
How do we know that these individuals (Controller of Budget/Auditor General) won't be zombie-like lackeys out to fulfill the will of their puppet-masters in Bunge? Do they have security of tenure, or will they be hounded out of office like Kimunya? (And before you mention Uhuru and his Passats, remember, THOSE CLOWNS STILL AIN'T PAYING TAX!)

@Muganda, we all know how a slight shift in public policy can make a few individuals wealthy and impoverish a nation, innit?

My two cents.smile

@Msotoville, what is your contentious issue? .... from what i have put on bold, then, how would we know that the "president" that we elect will have the interest of the nation at heart and the MPs and the bla bla bla....... there is no way of anyone knowing unless you are God which we know we all aren't...... so are you suggesting we don't have any constitution or institutions because they are going to be led/headed by people we do not know........

muganda
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:19:15 PM

@msotoville, my destiny thus far sees me neither as a graduate, an MBA, or an LLB for that matter... smile

Honestly, I have much respect for street smarts! I have also seen that the simple things we're taught as children are often more important in life. Someone who cares and wants the best, with no strings attached, tells a child...

See the Good in people,
Hold on to your Dream no matter what,
Good Character is more important than money,
With the right Attitude everything is possible,
Work hard, try and try again, in the end you will Excel

You see, to me the constitution captures these hopes and aspirations: GOOD - DREAM - FRAMEWORK - ATTITUDE - EXCEL
An informed and positive outlook makes everything seem possible, like the rebirth of a nation.

So if 1 million Kenyans adopted my outlook, where would Kenya be?
If 1 million Kenyans adopted @msotoville outlook, is Kenya at a higher place?
Our country cannot perform in a manner inconsistent with the way we choose to see her.

McReggae
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:33:10 PM

Applause Wow @MuganaApplause Applause , some deep stuff you stated there!!!
Some people simply oppose the new constitution coz they have lost hopeShame on you in the abilty of Kenya to prosper, very sad indeed!!!!!Sad
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Brewer
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:45:40 PM

Wendz wrote:

@Msotoville, what is your contentious issue? ....

@Wendz, he can pick any clause in the draft and say it is contentious, and your choice is:

a) convince him in a reasoned way that it is not contentious ;

b) agree it is contentious and big enough for both of you to vote NO;

c) agree it is contentious but convince him to vote yes as draft can be amended later after we have passed the draft- if he agrees with you I wish both of you luck with the rough and tumble of amendment politics especially if it is among clauses that require another referendum even to remove typos;

d) convince him it does not matter whether it is contentious and should go ahead and vote yes because we have waited for the constitution for too long a time and spent a lot of money;

d) confuse and befuddle him by hitting widely and wildly like some comments we are now familiar with in this forum and generally hope he votes yes because it you have made it appear yes will win- it is not problem here for @msoto sounds like a smart chap ;

e) you can say his interpretation amounts to hate speech and is inciteful because we are a country of people who require protection from ourselves;

f) respect his right to choose and hope he respects yours, for you both agree to disagree and that the reason there is a referendum is so that there are reds and greens;

g) there must be another choice.....

For those who think Kenya will go to shambles if NO wins, go no further for I agree with Muganda who says:

"See the Good in people,
Hold on to your Dream no matter what,
Good Character is more important than money,
With the right Attitude everything is possible,
Work hard, try and try again, in the end you will Excel".

Katiba ni sisi and for that reason I will not hesitate to vote NO.
rasilio
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:07:33 PM

while not claiming to know much about this constition kitu, I have found muganda's post very informative.

A long time ago when I was young, I found out that the only successful people I knew always found the good in things that the rest of us found bad. Instead of saying impossible they found an easy business to make money off other people's laziness. i have kept that as my working philosophy.

I avoid any human that says things are bad, impossible, intolerable, finished, and other negative things.

i find it instructive that there is a group of people who believe it is impossible to change Kenya unless one or two words are removed from 248 pages. I find it instructive that some of them have never smiled on TV since I started seeing Kenyan TV. I find it instructive that some of us have been left to issue such broad statements such as God will curse/bless if people vote Yes/No...

If someone cannot smile in an argument, then they are stressed and are probably telling a fib..Hayo ni maoni yangu.
msotoville
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:34:07 PM

@Muganda, @Wendz

I've not lost hope in humanity, and, trust me, if you have experienced Kenya's jua kali, you know that it's suicidal to operate bila PMA (Positive Mental Attitude).

Lakini, dunia ni hile hile. A few examples to illustrate;
Example 1:
Y'all got homes, right? They're probably in good neighbourhoods (the whole white picket fence shizznit), innit?
Let me make a wild guess; they all got burglar proofing (or probably the whole laser beam motion detector shiznit), innit?
Does that mean y'all lost hope in humanity or got a negative attitude?

Example 2:
Y'all in business or are employed in businesses, right?
Y'all use business forms - quotation/invoice/LPO/Receipt etc, right?
Since the dudes y'all deal with are so saintly (short of having a halo over their heads), why all the formality?

Examples 1 & 2 are checks/balances/fail safes - all I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to put a few in the draft constitution. And for my effort, I'm labeled a naysayer for being careful.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed!
@Fuundah reckons "why not vote Yes, then we'll fix things later, eh?".
Dude, that's like telling me "why not have unprotected sex, then we'll worry about STI's/Pregnancy later, eh?"
@Fundaah further reckons that I vote Yes and if my fears materialize, "we will act".
Guy, we've been shafted since independence - you mean it's taken kedo 4 decades ndio ukasirike?

I've been labeled..
(a) a land grabber (still paying rent, BTW).
(b) a non-reformist
(c) a religious zealot...
...for my stand.
When I state my stand, y'all tell me to back it up with facts. When I place the facts on the table, y'all tell me to "believe in the greater good."

We've been voting in the same clowns for the last 46 years in 5 year intervals. The clowns have become so brazen that they're even introducing their progeny into the game; the newbies checking in with all our "hopes" end up being worse than the incumbents.
And YOU, in a nutshell, are telling me to hand them the keys to the cookie jar with a smile, and hope/pray that things will "get better"?

WHAT ARE YOU? MARTYR JUNKIES?
These jamaas gamble with your taxes, you smile!
These jamaas wreck havoc on your country, you grin!
These jamaas unleash a contract where you're selling your birthright right down to your great grand children, you guffaw and pat them on the back!

Better safe than sorry
The constitution is kinda like small text in a loan or insurance policy. If you overlook a clause and the crap hits the fan, guess who'll be left counting his losses.
Look in the mirror and there you'll find your answer.

rasilio
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:44:05 PM

msotoville, i will not label you anything, but i have to say, your argument sounds...confused.

According to you, we should reject any new proposal because, these jamaas have, as you say, wrecked havoc in your country.

First, who are these jamaaas, Kibaki, Raila, Ruto, Moi? Politicians? Since they are on both sides of the debate, who do you suggest we follow?

Second, better safe than sorry...are you seriously implying that Kenyans are safe with the present constitution? Can i tell you the stories of "tufuate njinga hii" that poor Kenyans suffer every day...this is with the present constitution. Are we really safe with what we have?

Third, you keep on saying that the clause you are opposed to "can" lead to problems if "WE" vote in bad people. Now surely, if you vote in bad people, is it the fault of the constitution or your own?

Kenyans have this habit of looking for trees while in a forest. they imagine all the bad things that can go wrong, YET, they are living deep in the muddle of dodoo.
Much Know
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:17:49 PM

@msotov, other than the language, ur arguments are quite solid, if i was not on phone, i would make an effort to support, kesho!
A New Kenya
simonkabz
#38 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:38:21 PM

@msoto, would you tell us, in very few words, which one is better between these two: current constitution v/s proposed constitution......(I dont understand ua love/obssession with the current constitution, which the vast majority of kenyans hate with passion!)
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Seeders
#39 Posted : Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:36:45 AM

it is a choice between the old and new constitution = fallacy. throw away the box.
Fundaah
#40 Posted : Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:51:02 AM

Msotoville....from a different thread ...I know you can write some very good English...save us the pain of struggling to know what you are saying....in English or swahili....You may be in the 'Land of opportunities' ... but we are discussing matters Kenyan...Use a language all the Kenyan in the Street can easily understand....Keep is short and smart ...got it?..

And for those of us who have been complaining about politicians /police/Judiciary .....anytime something goes wrong.... we have an opportunity to change that ....We lose the opportunity ..we continue whining for the next 20Years ...if we will be alive...