wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

39 Pages«<678910>»
KenyaRe FY19 - FY23 (Both Inclusive)
VituVingiSana
#141 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 7:36:01 PM

Ericsson wrote:
The next target area for Kenya Re that is remaining is the Indian Ocean islands of Mauritius,Seychelles,Madagascar,reunion islands and Comoros.
With the business agreement signed between Kenya and Mauritius,establishing a subsidiary in Mauritius should not have several roadblocks.
Kenya has welcomed Mauritius companies like SBM,Omnicane,Alteo Sugar

Mauritius apparently makes it easy to register firms but it also heavily regulates its financial/insurance sector given its position as a Financial Hub. You do not want shady operators messing up your mojo. They cracked down heavily on Rawat of Britam.

KenRe should have no issues opening a Mauritian subsidiary to target the "islands" for incremental growth but not an easy task given Mauritian firms are no slouches either.

It can use the Mauritian subsidiary to launch into the rest of Africa where Mauritius has DTAs.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Monk
#142 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 8:22:56 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
@maichblack
@monk
@KenyanOracle
@Heri
@Aguy
@Kaufman
@miennyma

Who is on this bus to Canaan with me?

I don't understand the business case of the Insurance sector, so I keep a distance.
VituVingiSana
#143 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 11:45:17 PM

Monk wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
@maichblack
@monk
@KenyanOracle
@Heri
@Aguy
@Kaufman
@miennyma

Who is on this bus to Canaan with me?

I don't understand the business case of the Insurance sector, so I keep a distance.
Applause WB would agree with you.
Insurance and re-insurance are complex businesses. I am trying to understand more about them by reading as well talking to those in the industry. Not easy.

Just as IFRS9 was a game-changer for banks' reporting so will the implementation of IFRS9 and IFRS17 for insurance firms by 2022.

Kenya currently has about 45 insurance firms but we may end up with 30-ish by 2023.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#144 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:24:33 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
The next target area for Kenya Re that is remaining is the Indian Ocean islands of Mauritius,Seychelles,Madagascar,reunion islands and Comoros.
With the business agreement signed between Kenya and Mauritius,establishing a subsidiary in Mauritius should not have several roadblocks.
Kenya has welcomed Mauritius companies like SBM,Omnicane,Alteo Sugar

Mauritius apparently makes it easy to register firms but it also heavily regulates its financial/insurance sector given its position as a Financial Hub. You do not want shady operators messing up your mojo. They cracked down heavily on Rawat of Britam.

KenRe should have no issues opening a Mauritian subsidiary to target the "islands" for incremental growth but not an easy task given Mauritian firms are no slouches either.

It can use the Mauritian subsidiary to launch into the rest of Africa where Mauritius has DTAs.

The reinsurance companies in Mauritius are;
African Reinsurance Corporation
Best Re Mauritius
Munich Mauritius Reinsurance
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#145 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 8:44:23 AM

Uganda subsidiary will be a base to capture business in Rwanda,Burundi and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Impact of the Ugandan subisdiary will be visible in FY2020 results
VituVingiSana
#146 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:22:38 AM

I am bullish on KenRe over the next few years.

I keep wondering why it would issue such a bonus and perhaps it plans to grow regionally so it bulked up on its "Share Capital" which might be requirement by IRA or other regulators.

obiero
#147 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:28:52 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

I keep wondering why it would issue such a bonus and perhaps it plans to grow regionally so it bulked up on its "Share Capital" which might be requirement by IRA or other regulators.

Keep wondering sir

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#148 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:54:28 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Keep wondering sir

We shall ask that question during the AGM.
VituVingiSana
#149 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 9:02:35 PM

Please note, these are MY views. Do your own research. Read. Read. Read. There are a lot of free resources starting with KenRe's FY18 annual report and investor presentation. IFRS17 is also available online. Read it and try to understand it. There will be "negative" short-term repercussions on the reporting aspect from both IFRS9 and IFRS17. HY19 results are expected by Sep 2019.

Please share your thoughts in a coherent manner. That's what improves the quality of discussions.

KenRe has been a core holding but it requires research updates.

After a lot of research, in my own way, including driving out to Vipingo numerous visits to Two Rivers, looking at the shelf space Coke commands in Naivas/Tuskys/Carrefour/kiosks, reading the reports from brokers, annual report, investment presentaion, etc; I finally chose to make Centum a core holding too.

KenRe is far more complex in that it doesn't deal with the public. Therefore, it is not as easy to assess its "popularity" therefore I am not blindly supporting KenRe just because I have KenRe shares.

I didn't want to see the obvious signs in a failing KQ but when it finally dawned on me, I bailed out. It was not easy but necessary.

Therefore, I want to keep my mind open about KenRe but think of it as a long-term investment. Thinking "long-term" has served me well. For those who "trade" that's good for you. It's not what I do well. I do not know when to sell.

I do not expect a call for cash (Rights Issue) in the near future but will get a dividend for FY18 which I may use to buy more KenRe given it trades at 50% of its cash holdings.

KenRe has zero net debt. This is very important in a tough operating environment. Cash-rich firms can take losses for 1-2 years while the sector consolidates.

Nevertheless, I remain open to selling out if there is a drastic, and unpleasant change, in the management. GoK remains the biggest risk.

I believe the long-term effect from applying IFRS9 and IFRS17 is positive as it forces the Management to look at improving the processes behind their assessment of risk and prices risk better.

Another benefit is looking at the Receivables and forcing a hard look at debtors. We see the benefits trickling in for banks after IFRS9 came in.

For those on the "bus" with me; let's enjoy the ride! Applause
Ericsson
#150 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 7:05:46 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Please note, these are MY views. Do your own research. Read. Read. Read. There are a lot of free resources starting with KenRe's FY18 annual report and investor presentation. IFRS17 is also available online. Read it and try to understand it. There will be "negative" short-term repercussions on the reporting aspect from both IFRS9 and IFRS17. HY19 results are expected by Sep 2019.

Please share your thoughts in a coherent manner. That's what improves the quality of discussions.

After a lot of research, in my own way, including driving out to Vipingo numerous visits to Two Rivers, looking at the shelf space Coke commands in Naivas/Tuskys/Carrefour/kiosks, reading the reports from brokers, annual report, investment presentaion, etc; I finally chose to make Centum a core holding too.

KenRe is far more complex in that it doesn't deal with the public. Therefore, it is not as easy to assess its "popularity" therefore I am not blindly supporting KenRe just because I have KenRe shares.

I didn't want to see the obvious signs in a failing KQ but when it finally dawned on me, I bailed out. It was not easy but necessary.

Therefore, I want to keep my mind open about KenRe but think of it as a long-term investment. Thinking "long-term" has served me well. For those who "trade" that's good for you. It's not what I do well. I do not know when to sell.

I do not expect a call for cash (Rights Issue) in the near future but will get a dividend for FY18 which I may use to buy more KenRe given it trades at 50% of its cash holdings.

KenRe has zero net debt. This is very important in a tough operating environment. Cash-rich firms can take losses for 1-2 years while the sector consolidates.

Nevertheless, I remain open to selling out if there is a drastic, and unpleasant change, in the management. GoK remains the biggest risk.

I believe the long-term effect from applying IFRS9 and IFRS17 is positive as it forces the Management to look at improving the processes behind their assessment of risk and prices risk better.

Another benefit is looking at the Receivables and forcing a hard look at debtors. We see the benefits trickling in for banks after IFRS9 came in.

Do you have a copy FY18 Annual Report.
It's not yet uploaded on the website
VituVingiSana
#151 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 9:08:51 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

NSE sent out a copy of the Financial Statements on 29th March. Ask your broker or @pesanane for help. I do not know how to upload it onto Wazua. Sorry.
Ebenyo
#152 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 9:15:12 AM

Ericsson wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]Please note, these are MY views. Do your own research. Read. Read. Read. There are a lot of free resources starting with KenRe's FY18 annual report and investor presentation. IFRS17 is also available online. Read it and try to understand it. There will be "negative" short-term repercussions on the reporting aspect from both IFRS9 and IFRS17. HY19 results are expected by Sep 2019.

With centum,they need to reduce the temptation to fall into debt trap.We all know what debts have done to many listed companies.At 89% debt to equity ratio,it does not reflect well on centum which prides itself as a company which strives to create value to shareholders.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#153 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 9:18:32 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]Please note, these are MY views. Do your own research. Read. Read. Read. There are a lot of free resources starting with KenRe's FY18 annual report and investor presentation. IFRS17 is also available online. Read it and try to understand it. There will be "negative" short-term repercussions on the reporting aspect from both IFRS9 and IFRS17. HY19 results are expected by Sep 2019.

With centum,they need to reduce the temptation to fall into debt trap.We all know what debts have done to many listed companies.At 89% debt to equity ratio,it does not reflect well on centum which prides itself as a company which strives to create value to shareholders.
It's not 89%. Please discuss Centum on Centum's page smile
Ericsson
#154 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 9:37:10 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

NSE sent out a copy of the Financial Statements on 29th March. Ask your broker or @pesanane for help. I do not know how to upload it onto Wazua. Sorry.

Financial statements that one I have read.
VituVingiSana
#155 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 10:08:24 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Financial statements that one I have read.
My bad. I meant the FS.
Ebenyo
#156 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 10:13:38 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

It's not 89%. Please discuss Centum on Centum's page smile

smile ok.let me go their and check.
Ericsson
#157 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:29:46 AM

The tenure of the Chairman David Kibet Kemei ends next year having completed two terms of 3 years each
VituVingiSana
#158 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:48:20 AM

Ericsson wrote:
The tenure of the Chairman David Kibet Kemei ends next year having completed two terms of 3 years each
Applause Applause Applause
Angelica _ann
#159 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:13:13 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I really like that his looting scheme was never successful!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ebenyo
#160 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:41:33 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I really like that his looting scheme was never successful!!!

He tried last year but failed.