wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
HELP. Building a maisonette in phases
amorphous
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:59:42 AM

what to do about the staircase area once suspended slab is poured? Sad It is open to the skies kabisa and thus a huge void in the slab
Si tutanyeshewa kunyeshwo?
Planning to finish ground floor and move in but staircase area ndio chinda.
Thanks in advance Wazua.

New Normal!
Queen
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:18:53 AM

You may have to do a false roof not just above the staircase void but the entire first floor slab. The reason being a concrete slab is permeable so you should otherwise expect water leakage through the slab. Doing a maisonette in phases can be quite expensive.

A better mode of construction would entail doing the entire first floor walling including the roof. The finishes on first floor can follow later as you chill on the ground floor.
obiero
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:51:43 AM

Queen wrote:
You may have to do a false roof not just above the staircase void but the entire first floor slab. The reason being a concrete slab is permeable so you should otherwise expect water leakage through the slab. Doing a maisonette in phases can be quite expensive.

A better mode of construction would entail doing the entire first floor walling including the roof. The finishes on first floor can follow later as you chill on the ground floor.

This is the best guidance that I have seen in wazua in 2019

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
amorphous
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:52:59 AM

Queen wrote:

Excellent observation my sister. But shida ni pesa. I don't have enough to even fika the ring beam let alone the roof!
I was thinking just build a mini mabati roof over the staircase area and then move in. I never knew concrete slabs are permeable? Aren't some roof tiles also made of concrete? I would think a think suspended slab is virtually impermeable, and the water that seeps in and is retained is actually good for long term curing of the slab? Asanteni for the feedback.
New Normal!
Queen
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:04:40 AM

Del.

Queen
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 11:50:33 AM

amorphous wrote:
Queen wrote:

Excellent observation my sister. But shida ni pesa. I don't have enough to even fika the ring beam let alone the roof!
I was thinking just build a mini mabati roof over the staircase area and then move in. I never knew concrete slabs are permeable? Aren't some roof tiles also made of concrete? I would think a think suspended slab is virtually impermeable, and the water that seeps in and is retained is actually good for long term curing of the slab? Asanteni for the feedback.

There is no aspect of construction which is cheaper than doing masonry walling. If you do not have cash in the interim to lay roof tiles, you may roof with gauge 32 mabatis which shall double up as underlays for the tiles at a later date when your financial position improves.
githundi
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 9:46:40 AM

amorphous wrote:
Queen wrote:

Boss, It is doable, weka floor on the concrete roof the same way it done on flats. I have had it for almost 2 years and no leakage. Also put a temporary mabati roof on the starecase and move in.
Good luck!!
Democracy does not belong to the dead
amorphous
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 10:22:29 AM

Queen wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Queen wrote:

There is no aspect of construction which is cheaper than doing masonry walling. If you do not have cash in the interim to lay roof tiles, you may roof with gauge 32 mabatis which shall double up as underlays for the tiles at a later date when your financial position improves.

Queen yes I agree with you on walling but you forgot the small matter of roofing mbaos and roofing labour! Hizi mbili sio mchezo. Ring beam pia will eat money.
New Normal!
amorphous
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 11:22:32 AM

githundi wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Queen wrote:

Boss, It is doable, weka floor on the concrete roof the same way it done on flats. I have had it for almost 2 years and no leakage. Also put a temporary mabati roof on the starecase and move in.
Good luck!!
Thanks boss,
I've settled on this course of action. It's been raining on and off and I see no leaks anywhere except water on staircase. Nitaweka mabati niingie jameni. Rent is eating me alive!! Thanks for the encouragement.
New Normal!
newfarer
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 11:37:26 AM

obiero wrote:
Queen wrote:

I lived in a house with slab roof for 4 years with zero leakage.just ensure no water stagnates on the slab
punda amecheka
limanika
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 3:56:33 PM

newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
Queen wrote:

I lived in a house with slab roof for 4 years with zero leakage.just ensure no water stagnates on the slab
limanika
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 3:58:53 PM

...Then for the staircase well area only build up perimeter temporary masonry walling and do the temporary roof at high level.
amorphous
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:15:09 AM

limanika wrote:
...Then for the staircase well area only build up perimeter temporary masonry walling and do the temporary roof at high level.

Not a bad idea. This will also allow me (and the fundis) to access the first floor in case i need to inspect the solar water heater and water tank that will be temporarily placed there. The fundis will be able to continue building once i save up the money.
New Normal!
limanika
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:59:41 PM

amorphous wrote:
limanika wrote:

Not a bad idea. This will also allow me (and the fundis) to access the first floor in case i need to inspect the solar water heater and water tank that will be temporarily placed there. The fundis will be able to continue building once i save up the money.

Exactly. The fundis should access via an external ladder though
Mkimwa
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:52:17 PM

Your staircase has no steps on it, just 2 landings..

Or are those to be introduced later?

amorphous wrote:
what to do about the staircase area once suspended slab is poured? Sad It is open to the skies kabisa and thus a huge void in the slab
Si tutanyeshewa kunyeshwo?
Planning to finish ground floor and move in but staircase area ndio chinda.
Thanks in advance Wazua.

amorphous
#16 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 8:35:17 AM

Stories like these just make me smile smile
https://www.standardmedi...-towards-home-ownership
Kudos to the couple!

New Normal!
amorphous
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2019 7:45:52 PM

"Silly" question.
Plastering is almost done. What comes next after electrical wiring?
Painting ceilings and walls?
Or tiling floor first?
then painting of ceilings and walls?
Halafu niingie hii nyumba kama sungura jamaneni
Thaks in advance
New Normal!
obiero
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2019 8:11:19 PM

amorphous wrote:
"Silly" question.
Or tiling floor first?
Thaks in advance

I always go with tiling first based on logic..Let me hear from the others

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
amorphous
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2019 7:16:51 AM

obiero wrote:
amorphous wrote:
"Silly" question.
Or tiling floor first?
Thaks in advance

I always go with tiling first based on logic..Let me hear from the others

@Obiero. Kindly explain the logic?
I would have thought if you do paint after tiling it will "chafua" the tiles which will lead to more labour for sorting out the mess ama?
New Normal!
jamplu
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2019 9:29:59 AM

amorphous wrote:
"Silly" question.
Or tiling floor first?
Thaks in advance

I prefer
>> doing wall skimming and completely finish the ceiling
>> then first coat of paint on wall then tile do
>>the final coat of paint on wall,
>>grout the tiles, acid wash tiles if necessary