wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages123>»
Safaricom....Collymore Successor Yes Kenyan Can
young
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2019 10:29:09 PM

There are strong arguments based on some antecedents that should s Kenyan succeed out going Bob Collymore as Safaricom CEO, then in some years to come, Safaricom will crumble due to inefficiency and negative influence on the new Kenyan helmsman.

You all know am not a Kenyan so there is no bias.

My argument is as follows :-

The ongoing search scope should cover the following to locate a suitable Kenyan :-

1. Kenyans in private sector in Kenya, a core professional with impeccable integrity .

2. Kenyans in diaspora with proven integrity

3. Kenyan from public sector.

4. Kenyan already in Safaricom in executive position deemed necessary to succeed the outgoing CEO

NOTE:- Kenyan here refers to Kenyan citizen irrespective of initial country of origin.

In my native nigeria when CEO position was to be ceded from the traditional Dutch (Shell Nigeria PLC) to a Nigerian citizen, there was similar apprehension some years before.
But be informed that the Nigerian that was recruited from ExxonMobil, Houston headquarters so far is performing better than the dutch man he succeeded .

This Nigerian was a home bred personnel of our local exxonmobil but was seconded or posted to Houston USA, headquarters of ExxonMobil, he worked there for several years and got the Shell plump job.
Nigerian reputation in terms of inefficiency and corruption is worse than Kenya. How come a Nigerian is one of the best CEO'S in Royal Dutch Shell overseas geographical units?

I believe these issues depends on the individual and the exposure of such candidate and the internal recruitment and succession process of Safaricom.

Collymore himself is a British citizen by naturalization. His country of origin is Guyana. He was born and bred in Guyana before he proceeded to UK for further studies. Guyana is not better than Kenya in terms of corruption, inefficiency of the government and unemployment. It is one of the worst Caribbean countries in all ramifications . But Collymore is different.

If due diligence is taken Kenyan equivalent of Collymore can be found .
I may ask MJ, Michael Joseph, is he not a Kenyan? Is Njoroge your CBK governor not doing well?

I am not saying that foreigners are not suitable for the job. My argument is that a Kenyan candidate should NOT be ruled out.

Take a look at KCB. When I started investing in 2004 in this counter in 2004_ the CEO was a foreigner Terry Davidson.
The current CEO Mr Olgara is the second Kenyan after another Kenyan (Martins Otieno) but KCB profitability had been increasing by leaps and bounds even more than Terry era. This is irrespective of the fact that GOK is one of the majority shareholder of KCB.

I know a Kenyan friend that divested his investment from KCB since then and he is regretting now.

This is my take, a a minor tiny foreign shareholder of Safaricom.
You are also entitled to your opinion !

Regards
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Fyatu
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2019 10:36:16 PM

young wrote:
There are strong arguments based on some antecedents that should s Kenyan succeed out going Bob Collymore as Safaricom CEO, then in some years to come, Safaricom will crumble due to inefficiency and negative influence on the new Kenyan helmsman.

The ongoing search scope should cover the following to locate a suitable Kenyan :-

1. Kenyans in private sector in Kenya, a core professional with impeccable integrity .

3. Kenyan from private sector.

4. Kenyan already in Safaricom in executive position deemed necessary to succeed the outgoing CEO

NOTE:- Kenyan here refers to Kenyan citizen irrespective of initial country of origin.

I don't want to mention names in Kenya but in my native nigeria when CEO position was to be ceded from the traditional Dutch to a Nigerian citizen, there was similar apprehension some years before.
But be informed that the Nigerian that was recruited from ExxonMobil, Houston headquarters so far is performing better than the dutch man he succeeded .
This Nigerian was a home bred personnel of our local exxonmobil but was seconded or posted to Houston USA, headquarters of ExxonMobil, he worked there for several years and got the Shell plump job.

Collymore himself is a British citizen by naturalization. His country of origin is Guyana. He was born and bred in Guyana before he proceeded to UK for further studies. Guyana is not better than Kenya in terms of corruption, inefficiency of the government and unemployment. It is one of the worst Caribbean countries in all ramifications . But Collymore is different.

I may ask MJ, Michael Joseph, is he not a Kenyan? Is Njoroge your CBK governor not doing well?

Regards

I agree. I speculate that the Kenyan lady that was rejected by Tanzania will take over.

What most wazuans are afraid of is a GoK sponsored/GoK influenced CEO. Even my 3 year old is aware of the insatiable greed GoK honchos have for money plus other dangerous vices of nepotism,cronism,tribalism etc. Look at the NSE listed firms management and see the "tribal" composition of management and boards
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2019 11:12:00 PM

young wrote:

In my native nigeria when CEO position was to be ceded from the traditional Dutch to a Nigerian citizen, there was similar apprehension some years before.

Nigerian reputation in terms of inefficiency and corruption is worse than Kenya. How come a Nigerian is one of the best CEO'S in Royal Dutch Shell overseas geographical units?

I believe these issues depends on the individual and the exposure of such candidate and the internal recruitment and succession process of Safaricom.

I am not saying that foreigners are not suitable for the job. My argument is that a Kenyan candidate should NOT be ruled out.

Take a look at KCB. When I started investing in 2004 in this counter in 2004_ the CEO was a foreigner Terry Davidson.
The current CEO Mr Olgara is the second Kenyan after another Kenyan (Martins Otieno) but KCB profitability had been increasing by leaps and bounds even more than Terry era. This is irrespective of the fact that GOK is one of the majority shareholder of KCB.

I know a Kenyan friend that divested his investment from KCB since then and he is regretting now.

Regards

KCB had Bii (GM) and Kaminchia (Executive Chairman) who ran the bank down.
Gareth George was the next CEO. Ex-Barclays I think. I think he was Kenyan.
Terry Davidson replaced GG. Ex-Citi I think. He was Kenyan. Also a director of KK until recently.
MOO replaced TD.

MJ (Safaricom). South African who left for the USA. American. Then seconded to Kenya. Then became Kenyan.

May the best (Wo)Man win.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
young
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2019 11:32:16 PM

On a lighter note
Justin Nedd is the CEO of Guyana Telecoms.
He is a British of Guyana origin.
He was seconded from Vodaphone

Note:- Guyana population is about 800,000 (less than a million).

QUESTION ?
If the recruitment panel hires a British or Australian or an American of KENYAN origin in executive position in vodaphone, or T mobile, or Testra.
to become SAFARICOM CEO, such a fellow is not suitable because he is a Kenyan or is from a particular tribe in Kenya ?
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Angelica _ann
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2019 11:57:54 PM

Terry Davidson is a Kenyan by birth, born & brought up in Kenya, British Citizen though. the dad speaks fluent Kikuyu.

When Bob was away, a Kenyan Ogutu ran the outfit pretty good. Age might be an issue for him.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
enyands
#6 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 1:06:18 AM

No no not a Kenyan . Show me one consistent company lead by a Kenyan that's profitable year in year out!! Just a few I guess
VituVingiSana
#7 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:00:57 AM

enyands wrote:
No no not a Kenyan . Show me one consistent company lead by a Kenyan that's profitable year in year out!! Just a few I guess

Equity but JM has skin in the game.
KenyaRe
Centum but both JM and CK have skin in the game
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ebenyo
#8 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 7:39:25 AM

I guess this is the beggining of the end of Safaricom.
We have all seen the route Gok firms have followed.Kplc,uchumi,KENRE,Kengen,KQ,mumias and Eapc.I don't trust Gok in business management.They are very poor.Let Vodafone continues seconding CEO to safaricom.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
sparkly
#9 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 7:48:04 AM

Safaricom is successful because of Kenyan subcribers, Kenyan employees, Kenyan dealers, Kenyan Agents, Kenyan retailers, Kenyan Investors (including GOK), Kenyan Culture (they use original local content not localized generic adverts and product promotions), Kenyan hospitality (Bob's wife is kenyan).

I rest my case in favour of Kenyan CEO smile smile smile
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#10 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 9:27:12 AM

sparkly wrote:
Safaricom is successful because of Kenyan subcribers, Kenyan employees, Kenyan dealers, Kenyan Agents, Kenyan retailers, Kenyan Investors (including GOK), Kenyan Culture (they use original local content not localized generic adverts and product promotions), Kenyan hospitality (Bob's wife is kenyan).

Even Telkom Kenya has Kenyan CEO,Uchumi where are they now.
Even Mumias sugar had a kenyan ceo,dealers,agents,retailers,investors,culture etc.
Where is it now
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#11 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 9:29:39 AM

young wrote:

In my native nigeria when CEO position was to be ceded from the traditional Dutch (Shell Nigeria PLC) to a Nigerian citizen, there was similar apprehension some years before.

Regards

The current KCB CEO Joshua Oigara was recruited by the former regime i.e Kibaki/Grand Coalition
Ericsson
#12 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 9:31:43 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:

Equity but JM has skin in the game.
KenyaRe
Centum but both JM and CK have skin in the game

Context is kenyan companies where GoK has a significant stake
VituVingiSana
#13 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 9:36:06 AM

Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Even Mumias sugar had a kenyan ceo,dealers,agents,retailers,investors,culture etc.
Where is it now

NBK
KPLC
KenGen (which was bailed out 2-3 years ago)
EAPCC
KQ

Kuna wengi!
A few exceptions include KCB, Kenya Re, etc
BTW, is KCB controlled by GoK?
Who nominates the directors?
I recall back in the day, a Sunil Shah, who had 10% was instrumental in pushing change at the board level. I think he was the guy behind MOO's appointment as CEO. A wise choice.
Ericsson
#14 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 9:52:53 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Where is it now

NBK
KPLC
KenGen (which was bailed out 2-3 years ago)
EAPCC
KQ

Kuna wengi!
A few exceptions include KCB, Kenya Re, etc
BTW, is KCB controlled by GoK?
Who nominates the directors?
I recall back in the day, a Sunil Shah, who had 10% was instrumental in pushing change at the board level. I think he was the guy behind MOO's appointment as CEO. A wise choice.

KCB is not a state corporation
murchr
#15 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 1:34:16 PM

enyands wrote:

Bob is a Kenyan. MJ too.

Look at EABL after Diageo mgt took over.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Kusadikika
#16 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 3:42:11 PM

If they pick a Kenyan they need to pick the meanest, tight fisted, mkono ngumu Kenyan they can find. He should have no friends and even better no family. If he has family, let him be the most hated member of his family because of uchoyo.

Why? You ask. My answer is 99 billion shillings. 99 billion shillings can attract a lot of phone calls from many powerful people. Being a professional is not enough. To survive that job you need another kind of strength.

One of the reasons Kibaki was effective is because Kibaki is the meanest rich Kenyan who was ever created. I think I once heard John Keen say that Kibaki was so mean, he never bought anybody a beer in his life.
limanika
#17 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 4:09:02 PM

The only institutions somebody Kenyan has run with some degree of success are in financial sector I.e. banks n very few insurance companies. But these have strict rules and there's oversight by statutory umbrella bodies e.g. CBK.
murchr
#18 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 4:18:06 PM

limanika wrote:
The only institutions somebody Kenyan has run with some degree of success are in financial sector I.e. banks n very few insurance companies. But these have strict rules and there's oversight by statutory umbrella bodies e.g. CBK.

KBL was a very successful company before mzungu took over
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Angelica _ann
#19 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 4:23:19 PM

murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:

There was a guy who was the CEO of Shell!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Kusadikika
#20 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 4:37:59 PM

murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:

During the reign of Mahinda, another mean Kenyan.