wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<345
Best Trees for a Tree Forest?
kawi254
#81 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 2:50:45 PM

To recover river bed land swept by the 1-in-100yrs April 2018 rains i settled on below trees/grasses that do well on sandy, water logged places and are indigenous.

1. Naivasha acacia (Scientific name: acacia xanthophloea, #fevertree, Kamba (Kimweya); Kikuyu (Murera); Maasai (Olerai) from Tree-biotech nursery at Karura.

2. Sycamore fig [Scientific name: Ficus sycomorus; Embu,Kamba,Kikuyu (Mukuyu)] seedlings found just underneath existing Mukuyu trees.

3. Bamboo Arundinaria alpina; Kamba (Muangi); Kikuyu,Embu,Meru (Murangi);Taita (Mrangi) which is the de-facto hardy bamboo grown in seasonal riverbeds in Makueni.

Wanted to try Melia Volkensii(Mukau) but the seedlings cost an arm and a leg and hard to come by and germinating the seedlings is difficult.
Angelica _ann
#82 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 6:37:22 PM

Looking for high yield grafted Avocado & Mangos to plant at home (not for farming just home compound -shaggs). Any leads?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Lolest!
#83 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 6:57:21 PM

kawi254 wrote:
To recover river bed land swept by the 1-in-100yrs April 2018 rains i settled on below trees/grasses that do well on sandy, water logged places and are indigenous.

1. Naivasha acacia (Scientific name: acacia xanthophloea, #fevertree, Kamba (Kimweya); Kikuyu (Murera); Maasai (Olerai) from Tree-biotech nursery at Karura.

2. Sycamore fig [Scientific name: Ficus sycomorus; Embu,Kamba,Kikuyu (Mukuyu)] seedlings found just underneath existing Mukuyu trees.

3. Bamboo Arundinaria alpina; Kamba (Muangi); Kikuyu,Embu,Meru (Murangi);Taita (Mrangi) which is the de-facto hardy bamboo grown in seasonal riverbeds in Makueni.

Wanted to try Melia Volkensii(Mukau) but the seedlings cost an arm and a leg and hard to come by and germinating the seedlings is difficult.

Good job @kawi. Been reading on mukau too and it's true the seedlings are expensive. I was told it's due to difficult propagation

Been trying to introduce Meru oak(vitex keniensis) but every time I plant, the seedlings are stolen. Sad
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
kawi254
#84 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:07:38 AM

Lolest! wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

Good job @kawi. Been reading on mukau too and it's true the seedlings are expensive. I was told it's due to difficult propagation

Been trying to introduce Meru oak(vitex keniensis) but every time I plant, the seedlings are stolen. Sad

I always lose 5% of planted tree seedlings to tree thieves every tree planting season so i factor that in and replace next season. Meru Oak is however too precious to lose to thieves..try planting it in a gunny bag (gunia) in a safe location and after well established plant in the field ( a petty thief won't steal a 100kg root zone established tree.
Mukiri
#85 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 5:16:57 AM

kawi254 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

I always lose 5% of planted tree seedlings to tree thieves every tree planting season so i factor that in and replace next season. Meru Oak is however too precious to lose to thieves..try planting it in a gunny bag (gunia) in a safe location and after well established plant in the field ( a petty thief won't steal a 100kg root zone established tree.

Laughing out loudly Looks like these seedling thieves are everywhere. I have a neighbor, who's property I can clearly see, with plants of similar nature and age as mine. He's even building his houses (amemaliza ya kwanza yuko ya pili), using the stones I dig up, in order to plant the seedlings.

Melia is freely given out huku Kilifi, but beginning of last quarter. One must have registered. Muzungus are incorruptible, preference is given to impoverished community. They do sell. What prices do you get there?

I prefer food forests. ie Fruit trees, vegetable nut trees. I'm trying to get Pecan nut tree from South Africa and Manuka from Australia. Manuka honey is taunted to be better than our Acacia honey.

Proverbs 19:21
Mukiri
#86 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 5:23:44 AM

I have a neighbor with a forest of Giant Bamboo. She sells one grown bamboo, could be 20 feet give or take @1k! Unfortunately she's not selling shoots. If you can get that or similar giant variety (I think its clumping variety.. if it was running I'd be waiting for it at her neighbors place smile ) you could be running all the way to the bank!

Proverbs 19:21
murchr
#87 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2019 1:58:00 AM

Its so hard to get information about ornamental trees. Do weeping willow trees grow in Kenya?

https://previews.123rf.c...-weeping-willow-tree.jpg
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
madhaquer
#88 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:58:09 AM

[quote=murchr]Its so hard to get information about ornamental trees. Do weeping willow trees grow in Kenya?

https://previews.123rf.c...weeping-willow-tree.jpg[/quote]

Yes they are the trees growing along the Nairobi - Nakuru highway as you go past Naivasha town.
mdosi
#89 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 2:23:24 PM

kawi254 wrote:

How much is the Mukau tree seedlings?
It's amazing what you can achieve when you get rid of fear.
kawi254
#90 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 2:44:04 PM

mdosi wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

How much is the Mukau tree seedlings?

Should be around @50/= check with facebook accounts 'Better globe foresty' & 'Agrifor's Seed and Seedlings'
mkenyan
#91 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 9:27:41 PM

try coconut. currently doing some. long term but would be interesting once they mature.
murchr
#92 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:37:24 PM

madhaquer wrote:
murchr wrote:
Its so hard to get information about ornamental trees. Do weeping willow trees grow in Kenya?

Yes they are the trees growing along the Nairobi - Nakuru highway as you go past Naivasha town.

Checked it out but I think its not the same tree.....from the same family though. Here it is. The one I want has elongated leaves

Also looking for Japanese Maple

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#93 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:06:01 PM

murchr wrote:
madhaquer wrote:
murchr wrote:

Checked it out but I think its not the same tree.....from the same family though. Here it is. The one I want has elongated leaves

Also looking for Japanese Maple

Just plant the "naivasha willow" coz its already been tried and tested for .ke. Naivasha looks great thanks to that tree species name Schinus molle.
murchr
#94 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 6:25:10 AM

Anyone with tried and tested tricks for making a tree to grow fast(er)? My casuarina trees are very thin what is it that they are lacking? Or is it a type?
murchr
#95 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 7:25:39 PM

I have been researching on ornamental trees (landscape trees) of the cypress family and here are my findings. Sharing is the spirit of Wazua

1. Platycadus - Other names Thuja Orientalis , Morgan dwarf tree, Oriental arborvitae, Chinese arborvitae, Kenyan street name - "Bible pages"

Grows short 4-6ft. Evergreen that is drought resistant, grows well on a rock garden. In extreme cold temps, its turns brown but goes back to green when the temperatures are favorable

2. Thuja Occidentalis
- Other names Thuja green giant, Northern White cider, eastern arborvitae, Kenyan street names - "Thuja Pencil"

Foliage

Grows tall and wide in a pyramidal shape
Mature height 40 - 50 ft tall
Pest and disease resistant
Good tree for privacy

3. Thuja Standishii - Other names Japanese arborvitae,

Medium size - 20-30 ft tall
Cannot thrive in dry conditions
Leaves are bright green

Foliage

I have not spotted this one in Kenya yet.

4. Leyland Cypress - Other names leylandii

Grows fast
Coniferous evergreen
Tallest ever documented is 130ft and still growing, grows to 50-60 ft on avg
Extremely drought tolerant
Grows very well in Mt Kenya region

5. Blue Cypress
- I have not been able to properly identify this tree scientifically. Bought some on thika road. I am waiting for it to develop further so that i can be able to properly place it. So far I have noted that it grows very fast, drought tolerant

6. Italian Cypress
- Other names Mediterranean cypress

Slender cypress tree

7. Lemon Cypress
Other names Goldcrest

Does not grow well in shades and needs lots of water. Maximum growth height is said to be 16ft tall in natural habitat. So its mainly a dwarf tree.

Looking for

8. Gold mop cypress
Another dwarf tree that is golden yellowish. Has weepy characteristics. If you have spotted it anywhere please notify.

Tree planting season is coming up. Happy planting.
MugundaMan
#96 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 6:54:10 AM

Quote:

5. Blue Cypress - I have not been able to properly identify this tree scientifically. Bought some on thika road. I am waiting for it to develop further so that i can be able to properly place it. So far I have noted that it grows very fast, drought tolerant

Cupressus Arizonica (Blue Ice)?
murchr
#97 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 7:36:13 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Quote:

5. Blue Cypress - I have not been able to properly identify this tree scientifically. Bought some on thika road. I am waiting for it to develop further so that i can be able to properly place it. So far I have noted that it grows very fast, drought tolerant

Cupressus Arizonica (Blue Ice)?

Or Callitris intratropica. I hope it is Cupressus Arizonica.
MugundaMan
#98 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:25:26 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a few coffee tree and purple tea seedlings?
murchr
#99 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2020 4:46:01 AM

Who has gone tree shopping at Tigoni's chief's camp?

How was your experience? I was told he has himalayan cypress and I want to know more about the tree, any 411?