6 Pages<12345>»
100% solar powered maisonette possible?
chiaroscuro
#41 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:39:05 AM

jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
I once did some calculations for a 310SQM house fully on solar. Average monthly use 300-400KWh. Costa came to appx 800-1.2m for full off-grid (guided by Mr. Google). Repayment period 13-15yrs.

Will try to recalculate again to post here for the gurus to critique.

Now, on the borehole, planning a 150m and a friend in that biz tells me that solar pumps don't work those depths in Nbi and environs due to I don't know what (sure enoung I've never seen a solar powerwd borehole except in lower&north eastern). Can't back that up with facts, you know how engineers talk "I tell you it will not work. Lakini nitakuwekea uki-insistSad"

That is quite a bit of usage bro, Kwani that house has a secret factory in the garage? I would however gladly invest that amount on a 100% off the grid solar system, especially if the land is in the middle of nowhere in the dustbowl. It pays for itself many times over in terms of convenience and returns from irrigation.

300kWh - 400kWh is my typical monthly consumption in 3BR apartment - 6 people in the household....kila mtu anakunyua 50kWh....

That's very high consumption do you have commercial appliances or what?

@jamplu: how many units do you consume per month and how many people are in your house?

I have the usual stuff... TV, microwave, baking oven [use about 2 time a month] fridge, instant hot showers, music system (400W consumption; 60W output - this one runs every time the TV is on so both of them combined drink 500W!), lights (mostly LEDs) etc
jamplu
#42 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 12:46:04 PM

chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
I once did some calculations for a 310SQM house fully on solar. Average monthly use 300-400KWh. Costa came to appx 800-1.2m for full off-grid (guided by Mr. Google). Repayment period 13-15yrs.

Now, on the borehole, planning a 150m and a friend in that biz tells me that solar pumps don't work those depths in Nbi and environs due to I don't know what (sure enoung I've never seen a solar powerwd borehole except in lower&north eastern). Can't back that up with facts, you know how engineers talk "I tell you it will not work. Lakini nitakuwekea uki-insistSad"

That is quite a bit of usage bro, Kwani that house has a secret factory in the garage? I would however gladly invest that amount on a 100% off the grid solar system, especially if the land is in the middle of nowhere in the dustbowl. It pays for itself many times over in terms of convenience and returns from irrigation.

300kWh - 400kWh is my typical monthly consumption in 3BR apartment - 6 people in the household....kila mtu anakunyua 50kWh....

@jamplu: how many units do you consume per month and how many people are in your house?

I have the usual stuff... TV, microwave, baking oven [use about 2 time a month] fridge, instant hot showers, music system (400W consumption; 60W output - this one runs every time the TV is on so both of them combined drink 500W!), lights (mostly LEDs) etc

Ranges between 160 - 180 Kwh in a month
jamplu
#43 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 12:47:36 PM

chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

chiaroscuro
#44 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2019 8:48:17 AM

jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

How many people live in your house?
Also; mine is 3br; what about yours?
Thitifini
#45 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2019 12:45:07 PM

chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

You see, when you start living in a mansion(smile smile smile ), there are other things that consume electricity - lawn mowing, lawn irrigation, flood lights for outdoor sitings, you get to use multiple AV equipments....etc......

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
jamplu
#46 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2019 2:01:15 PM

Thitifini wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

You see, when you start living in a mansion(smile smile smile ), there are other things that consume electricity - lawn mowing, lawn irrigation, flood lights for outdoor sitings, you get to use multiple AV equipments....etc......

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly even with all those doesn't hit over 180. but one thing i intentionally do is ensure i know the rating on any appliance i buy then hakuna maneno ya instant showers. Installing a solar water heater is cheaper than paying for the extra kwh's. Even for security flood lights solar setup would be the way to go.

chiaroscuro
#47 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:27:03 PM

jamplu wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
jamplu wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly even with all those doesn't hit over 180. but one thing i intentionally do is ensure i know the rating on any appliance i buy then hakuna maneno ya instant showers. Installing a solar water heater is cheaper than paying for the extra kwh's. Even for security flood lights solar setup would be the way to go.

You still haven't answered: how many people live in your house?

This is a major factor on power consumption.
deadpoet
#48 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 3:26:59 PM

Bumping this thread for 2020... does anyone know any homeowners in Nairobi that have installed such solar systems, either fully or for backup purposes?
Thitifini
#49 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:52:16 PM

deadpoet wrote:
Bumping this thread for 2020... does anyone know any homeowners in Nairobi that have installed such solar systems, either fully or for backup purposes?

Two of my neighbours have backup solar system (working pretty good when kplc goes dark, though this is rare and capacity limited to lighting and security); and one is proceeding to full off-grid.

I don't have the neighbours authority to disclose their info, but guy doing their work has # +254 786 790893

Will try the 50k backup this year thought, then post evaluation end year.

I also learn there is a guy offering full off-grid at 600k for 300sqm hse. Rumours though as I have not met nor know his specs to estimate it's ROI or cost-benefit figures.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
amorphous
#50 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 9:58:36 AM

I am realising from experience that one does not need a huge huge solar backup system if your issue is just a desire to avoid the inconvenience of temporary blackouts.

My setup:
An 80w panel
150W inverter
a 40ah battery (which I plan to expand to 200ah)
a 30 PWM charge controller (not the cheap ones that die after two weeks but a very solid one that will last years). This whole system cost me about 17k installed (labour inclusive)

then I went and got those cheap GDlite solar systems for 3k (9v battery, four 9v bulbs with on off switches and lengthy cables inbuilt torches and very bright emergency side light.

This system is more than PERFECT for my needs in fact I have so much extra emergency power I do not know what to do with it.

-- the charge controller has a USB port which charges all my phones 24/7
-- the gdlite kit is charged fast through the inverter (its own solar panel is very weak and takes too long). I then use the emergency lights during a blackout. I love the fact that they have their own on/off switches.

This is more than perfect to survive a blackout that lasts 1 or two days.

The best part of it..it's portable! You can put it in your car boot an go camping in the aberdares for a week quite comfortably! Why spend a milli on a backup system you will hardly use unless you are 100% off grid in the middle of nowhere?

Nimesema!
New Normal!
Speculz
#51 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:06:29 PM

amorphous wrote:
I am realising from experience that one does not need a huge huge solar backup system if your issue is just a desire to avoid the inconvenience of temporary blackouts.

My setup:
An 80w panel
150W inverter
a 30 PWM charge controller (not the cheap ones that die after two weeks but a very solid one that will last years). This whole system cost me about 17k installed (labour inclusive)

then I went and got those cheap GDlite solar systems for 3k (9v battery, four 9v bulbs with on off switches and lengthy cables inbuilt torches and very bright emergency side light.

This system is more than PERFECT for my needs in fact I have so much extra emergency power I do not know what to do with it.

-- the gdlite kit is charged fast through the inverter (its own solar panel is very weak and takes too long). I then use the emergency lights during a blackout. I love the fact that they have their own on/off switches.

The best part of it..it's portable! You can put it in your car boot an go camping in the aberdares for a week quite comfortably! Why spend a milli on a backup system you will hardly use unless you are 100% off grid in the middle of nowhere?

Nimesema!

Contacts of supplier and perhaps name of equipment please?
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Stephen Wright
amorphous
#52 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:26:21 PM

Speculz wrote:
amorphous wrote:

My setup:
An 80w panel
150W inverter

Nimesema!

1. Oushang solar panel 80W
2. Raggie charge controller 30A (a real workhorse and easy to operate)
3. Generic (no name) solar 12V battery 40ah
4. Solarpex 150W inverter
5. GDLite solar system
6. Cables connecting them all

You can get all of these at virtually any shop that sells panels. Luthuli/Tom Mboya and further down River road etc are all flooded with them. The only thing I would have done differently is to buy a 100ah solar deep cycle battery even though 40ah is working fine for me for now.

Putting the system together is very easy but if you need help just ask the guys wh are selling the items to lend you their solar fundi for a fee which is what I did. In fact negotiate "free" labour as part of the cost since they are already making reasonable profits off each component.

All the best!

New Normal!
Speculz
#53 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:15:35 PM

amorphous wrote:
Speculz wrote:
amorphous wrote:

My setup:
An 80w panel
150W inverter

Nimesema!

1. Oushang solar panel 80W
2. Raggie charge controller 30A (a real workhorse and easy to operate)
3. Generic (no name) solar 12V battery 40ah
4. Solarpex 150W inverter
5. GDLite solar system
6. Cables connecting them all

You can get all of these at virtually any shop that sells panels. Luthuli/Tom Mboya and further down River road etc are all flooded with them. The only thing I would have done differently is to buy a 100ah solar deep cycle battery even though 40ah is working fine for me for now.

Putting the system together is very easy but if you need help just ask the guys wh are selling the items to lend you their solar fundi for a fee which is what I did. In fact negotiate "free" labour as part of the cost since they are already making reasonable profits off each component.

All the best!

Thank you very much!
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Stephen Wright
sqft
#54 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:55:48 PM

I came across this informative video regarding putting solar components together. It seems like its something one can DIY.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
maka
#55 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 12:26:56 PM

Besotted Farm Stay....

https://www.booking.com/...;type=total;ucfs=1&

Solar plus wind turbine....
possunt quia posse videntur
kayhara
#56 Posted : Thursday, November 05, 2020 3:14:21 PM

No battery solar system, if you live in a sun rich county and run ACs, water pumps, RO machines, etc this would work very well for you, batteries are the most expensive part of a back-up system, I once saw this in Mombasa, the guy was running his home morning to evening by direct solar in the evening the house is already cool, water is hot, tanks are full and water is desalinated so KPLC bill is very low for the house size, I see davis have decided to bring a product like this although it's still annoying that they don't give prices on their website

https://davisandshirtlif...I0dtxiFuKyipKT4obkRBzn0
To Each His Own
amorphous
#57 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:19:08 PM

sqft wrote:
I came across this informative video regarding putting solar components together. It seems like its something one can DIY.

It is very easy to set up once you work from output needed backwards.

For me and my 150W output (from the inverter) system, my 30A charge controller and recently upgraded 75Ah battery (from 40Ah) and 80W solar panel are working perfectly. I simply need to power TV, laptop and 3-4 very low watt LED bulbs during blackouts and the total wattage of all those devices is well below 150.

And nothing beats practical experience when dealing with solar. You can read all the manuals in the world but once you connect and start using the system, you will learn more in two days than from a month of book research and videos.

Connection is basically Solar panel to charge controller to battery to inverter to devices..which is not rocket science since you are just connecting negatives to positives and the charge controller instructions in the box tell you everything.

Almost a year in of use of this cheap but very effective back system, this is my advice to those interested in the same;

1. There are a LOT of scam compenents in the solar market. If you are naive and green you can easily get conned. Please avoid any charge controller that looks like this. They are super cheap and come in thousands of different brand names but i suspect they are all made by one Chinese conman company. I have never met person who has anything good to say about these types of charge controllers. It will go kaput within months (or even days) of use, trust me.

2. Raggie PWM charge controller at no more than 3k kshs is WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD. As i have said before this thing is a workhorse! Easy to use and no issues whatsoever with it so far.

3. Get these types of inverters. They too are a blessing! Dirt cheap and very efficient. Should cost you no more than 3-4k for 300W and below. No overheating issues (they have an excellent fan) and give sweet consistent 220V output.

4.AVOID AT ALL COSTS any inverters that look like this

They are terrible and the wattage they say they deliver seldom matches. They also conk out easily

5. With batteries, even so called deep cycle solar batteries, there are no guarantees. Car batteries sometimes work even better than so called deep cycle solar batteries yet are dirt cheap. As long as you are not drawing down your batteries to less than 50% during each use, any battery works fine. I am told Wanda solar batteries are bure and Ritar are good...on this ni trial and error tu.

The Oushang panel amazes me..it works even under low light conditions so these days I just lean in on the inside part of the window and it charges my system nyweee bila shida yoyote In fact I need to switch the charge controller off for days at a time because it charges up my battery fast!

6. Keep your system mobile. Do not hammer the components to the wall unless you have a huge system powering the whole house or one floor. That way you can move it to any room you need and can also carry it on a road trip easy. Moving it is a breeze. I highly recommend battery clips (below) from charge controller to battery and inverter to battery. Makes for easy set up and movement. You just disconnect the clips..carry the battery to the other room, then the inverter, then the panel with cables connected to the charge controller and set up again in seconds.

Bottom line my mini system has paid for itself interms of convenience and peace of mind many times over. As I said the only change I have made is to add kidogo battery capacity in case a blackout lasts more than a day and so far that has not happened. In fact i have too much power for my system and am very happy with it as of now.
New Normal!
amorphous
#58 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:21:14 PM

kayhara wrote:
No battery solar system, if you live in a sun rich county and run ACs, water pumps, RO machines, etc this would work very well for you, batteries are the most expensive part of a back-up system, I once saw this in Mombasa, the guy was running his home morning to evening by direct solar in the evening the house is already cool, water is hot, tanks are full and water is desalinated so KPLC bill is very low for the house size, I see davis have decided to bring a product like this although it's still annoying that they don't give prices on their website

https://davisandshirtlif...I0dtxiFuKyipKT4obkRBzn0

Hybrid MPPT charge controllers are awesome but pricey. Mostly for use if you want to power the whole house. I will install these (alongside a battery bank) when I build my mansion in the boonies. I want at least a 2 KW system and of course that cannot be run through PWM charge controllers.
New Normal!
amorphous
#59 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 6:06:40 PM

Oh and one last thing. Do NOT get a GD lite system (to use with your solar set up)that does not have an AC charge option.

Mine was stolen and I almost made the mistake of buying a new one that did not have it thinking all of the them are the same..not so!

You will need the AC charge to charge from the inverter. Without it you are stuck with charging for three days with the panel which is quite a useless one to be honest.

The low energy LED bulbs with switches are awesome! One bulb can light a whole room quite beautifully.

https://www.kilimall.co.ke/new/goods/1009337

New Normal!
tom_boy
#60 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 6:14:43 PM

I am looking to use Lithium Iron batteries for solar system. Any leads on how I can get these?
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.