wazua Mon, Jun 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

RAV4 EX UK ALERT
premio
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:24:53 PM

They are hot and have very good coluors plus xtras like Alloy rims,sunroof but the Rav 4 UK model is making people cry. 4/5 rav4s ex UK have gearbox problem and guys are parting with 120000 to put a new one if you are lucky to get one. Guys if u are interested in this car steer clear of the UK Model
JkMwatha
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:20:58 PM

Only UK models? you sure?
All Rav4 Gearboxes are built in Japan
Rav4s the world over have ECU related transmission problems (esp. 6+ year old cars)
Read these

http://www.motorsm.com/c...te/display.asp?aid=1470
http://www.drivearabia.c...earbox-problem-uae-gcc/

Ondiek
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:04:25 AM

The issue with automatic RAV4s is not a faulty gearbox but the ECM/ECU which goes bonkers after about 60,000 miles thereby sending wrong signals to the transmission.

Signs to look for are:

Check engine light always on
Diagnosis points to shift solenoids
Loss of power
High revving
Gear engages with loud clunk

If you notice these signs please park the car and get a new ECM. Replacing the gear box at this stage will not help as the ECM will damage it again.

Yes I should know as I have been a victim early this year at a cost of about 235K Sad (gear box at 130K and ECM at 105 K).

PS:Do not buy an ECM at 60K as these are refurbished.Shame on you
redondo
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:11:44 AM

not all the used ECU are refurbished.some come from vehicles that were written off in accidents but some parts(eg. ECU)were left intact. i had a similar experience with my Nissan B15 and my mechanic got me an ECU that has been performing quite well.
Ondiek
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:42:23 AM

@ Redondo - I was talking specifically about the RAV4 ECM's that have a Known manufacturer's defect.
Sigiriri
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:29:52 AM

Hey guys, i decided to revive this thread. The same engine, ECU and auto gearbox are installed in the now very popular Toy Noah. These problems seem to be persistent as I have had a couple of Noahs with the same issue.

We recently sorted one out and so if you know someone who has a stalled or problematic car with this infamous engine, let them contact me and I will do the same fix for a way lesser fee than the 250K mentioned here.....and I have some ECU's at way less too.
Njung'e
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:08:33 PM

@Sigiriri,
Don't.!!!....That scared me.Are you referring to the Noah limo (new shape)?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Sigiriri
#8 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 3:29:36 PM

Tulia @mzae everything is in control - I was only talking of the Noah Limos (yes, new model) - that have the 1AZ-FSE engine. That may include the one you are driving - but not all fail, so tulia. If it is to happen, it will - and u become my client. If not, enjoy the ride - it's a really hot ride BTW except naona single dudes/duddetes with no prospect of even kubeba passenger wanazinunua - a waste really!
Njung'e
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:35:06 PM

@Sigiriri,
Brick wall Ooops.It's the one (1AZ FSE NN).Been having it close to 2 years but it's a family safari car and is rarely used.On two occasions,i have noted this "hammering" like sound when i engage reverse (as if the gear is being forced into place).Could it be signs?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
titanic
#10 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 11:41:34 AM

@JKMwatha
Sometimes ago you had posted a website where people could import vehicles and you had even given us your zip code. If you dont mind can you paste the same or refer me to the link.
JkMwatha
#11 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 3:32:51 PM

titanic wrote:
@JKMwatha
Sometimes ago you had posted a website where people could import vehicles and you had even given us your zip code. If you dont mind can you paste the same or refer me to the link.

No, not a website where you could import, but probably a source for cars.....which you could eventually import.

Could they have been www.autotrader.co.uk/?

try postcode NW2 5AB

If you do find a vehicle, get someone to have car/details checked out!

You don't want to find, later on, that you had bought a 'cloned' car and then Interpol are on your case.
titanic
#12 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 4:52:12 PM

Thanks JKMwatha. Will check it out and if i need further assistance, I will get intouch with you. Asante