wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

131 Pages«<101102103104105>»
Kenya Economy Watch
Ericsson
#2041 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2019 8:18:45 AM

murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Debt to GDP ratio is not a good parameter since political leaders/Jubilee will keep on churning inaccurate GDP numbers that make it look sustainable comparatively. The best way is to look at repayment ability ala debt sustainability and see where we are headed as a country.

I thought the world bank churns that data? Is the data different from the one by CIA?

They will make them look good so that they continue giving us more loans
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
guka
#2042 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:10:41 AM

Any economists try to explain if the KSH is managed or actually running on demand/supply? This has really puzzled me especially over the past two months.

https://www.standardmedi...own-economists-in-a-spin
sparkly
#2043 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:30:09 AM

[quote=guka]Any economists try to explain if the KSH is managed or actually running on demand/supply? This has really puzzled me especially over the past two months.

https://www.standardmedi...wn-economists-in-a-spin[/quote]

Conclusion, the SH is being managed but stability can only be maintained for so long. Stock up on Dollars.
Life is short. Live passionately.
littledove
#2044 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 12:22:10 PM

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/economy/Debt-hits-Sh5-4trn-as-Treasury-takes-Sh2bn-loans-daily/3946234-5052544-11loktv/index.html
The accelerated borrowing from the domestic market—mainly banks— is however bad news for the private sector, which has been struggling to secure loans from the lenders.

In the 12-months to February, credit to the private sector grew by 3.4 percent, still far below the 12 to 15 percent considered to be ideal for powering strong economic growth. Commercial banks’ holdings of government debt went up by 13 percent in the same period, to Sh1.46 trillion.

Heavy borrowing by the Jubilee administration has seen the threshold of debt to gross domestic product (GDP) cross well over the 50 percent mark, raising concerns over ability to repay the loans.
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
Ericsson
#2045 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 3:11:22 PM

littledove wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/economy/Debt-hits-Sh5-4trn-as-Treasury-takes-Sh2bn-loans-daily/3946234-5052544-11loktv/index.html
The accelerated borrowing from the domestic market—mainly banks— is however bad news for the private sector, which has been struggling to secure loans from the lenders.

In the 12-months to February, credit to the private sector grew by 3.4 percent, still far below the 12 to 15 percent considered to be ideal for powering strong economic growth. Commercial banks’ holdings of government debt went up by 13 percent in the same period, to Sh1.46 trillion.

Heavy borrowing by the Jubilee administration has seen the threshold of debt to gross domestic product (GDP) cross well over the 50 percent mark, raising concerns over ability to repay the loans.

Only God can deliver us from the mess of the two boys
Fyatu
#2046 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 3:16:40 PM

Does anyone know how mzee Baks is doing in retirement? I expected to see him meeting and greeting wananinchi at the Kenyan open but he was nowhere to be seen. Mkimwona msalimieni sana
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
obiero
#2047 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 7:57:41 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Does anyone know how mzee Baks is doing in retirement? I expected to see him meeting and greeting wananinchi at the Kenyan open but he was nowhere to be seen. Mkimwona msalimieni sana

UAP feels your pain https://www.businessdail...052712-gxjqly/index.html

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#2048 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 8:21:32 PM

obiero wrote:
[quote=Fyatu]Does anyone know how mzee Baks is doing in retirement? I expected to see him meeting and greeting wananinchi at the Kenyan open but he was nowhere to be seen. Mkimwona msalimieni sana

UAP feels your pain https://www.businessdail...52712-gxjqly/index.html[/quote]

Huduma number is the solution to kenya's economic problems
tom_boy
#2049 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 9:35:19 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
[quote=Fyatu]Does anyone know how mzee Baks is doing in retirement? I expected to see him meeting and greeting wananinchi at the Kenyan open but he was nowhere to be seen. Mkimwona msalimieni sana

Huduma number is the solution to kenya's economic problems

Sarcasm or sycophancy?
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
Ericsson
#2050 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 10:14:21 PM

obiero wrote:

Debt burden from parent is also strangling them
wukan
#2051 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2019 2:29:38 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

51% of kenyans feel your pain
Quote:
About 51 per cent of Kenyans are living hand to mouth, a report has shown. This is a rise from 34.3 per cent in 2016.

According to the 2019 Finacess Household Survey released on Wednesday by CBK and FSD, the cost of living has been on an upward trend, triggering a hand to mouth means of survival.
https://www.the-star.co....nd-to-mouth-cbk-report/

Angelica _ann
#2052 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2019 2:35:35 PM

wukan wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

Quote:
About 51 per cent of Kenyans are living hand to mouth, a report has shown. This is a rise from 34.3 per cent in 2016.

According to the 2019 Finacess Household Survey released on Wednesday by CBK and FSD, the cost of living has been on an upward trend, triggering a hand to mouth means of survival.

Nice, wembe ni ule ule kwa wote!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
maka
#2053 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2019 2:48:34 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
wukan wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

Quote:

Nice, wembe ni ule ule kwa wote!!!

The 2 fellows have totally destroyed this country.....
possunt quia posse videntur
wukan
#2054 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2019 3:07:07 PM

Quote:
Overall, majority of Kenyans feels that their financial status has worsened regardless of their sex, residence and marital status.

The ability of Kenyans to use financial services and products to manage their daily needs, cope with shocks and achieve big goals has declined.

summary and conclusion from the report
Fyatu
#2055 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2019 3:15:04 PM

wukan wrote:
Quote:
Overall, majority of Kenyans feels that their financial status has worsened regardless of their sex, residence and marital status.

The ability of Kenyans to use financial services and products to manage their daily needs, cope with shocks and achieve big goals has declined.

summary and conclusion from the report

Wa kenya mtakula jeuri yenu...punda amekufa
Ericsson
#2056 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 2:22:55 AM

https://www.businessdail...2544-11loktv/index.html

The Treasury borrowed an average of Sh2.1 billion every day, racking up Sh126.4 billion in loans between January and February and raising Kenya’s total debt load to Sh5.4 trillion.

Latest debt data published by the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) shows that domestic debt rose by Sh142.6 billion to Sh2.692 trillion in the period, while external debt contracted by Sh22 billion to Sh2.707 trillion.
Fyatu
#2057 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 10:27:10 AM

What beats me is that when i look at a few rural towns in retrospect, i can see a boom in economic activity. For example, erstwhile sleepy towns like Othaya used to go to sleep literally at 7pm. Nowadays, even in the villages of Othaya sub-county there is activity with nduthis(bodaboda) rambling past 9PM. There are M-pesa shops hapa na pale, one or two wines and spirits pubs and there is electricity.How this modest boom(in many small towns of kenya) is not translating into money into peoples pockets is where kizungumkuti is. There also new buildings coming up in almost all towns in Kenya as we speak."Brandnew second hand cars" are all over the place etc. CBK governor says economy grew by 6+% last year and is bound to grow even further this year...where is the disconnect here? Why are majority of Kenyans not feeling this growth where it matters most?(in their pockets)
maka
#2058 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 10:32:48 AM

Fyatu wrote:
What beats me is that when i look at a few rural towns in retrospect, i can see a boom in economic activity. For example, erstwhile sleepy towns like Othaya used to go to sleep literally at 7pm. Nowadays, even in the villages of Othaya sub-county there is activity with nduthis(bodaboda) rambling past 9PM. There are M-pesa shops hapa na pale, one or two wines and spirits pubs and there is electricity.How this modest boom(in many small towns of kenya) is not translating into money into peoples pockets is where kizungumkuti is. There also new buildings coming up in almost all towns in Kenya as we speak."Brandnew second hand cars" are all over the place etc. CBK governor says economy grew by 6+% last year and is bound to grow even further this year...where is the disconnect here? Why are majority of Kenyans not feeling this growth where it matters most?(in their pockets)

Can we also talk about defaults? I bank with NIC and the number of cars they have for sale on their site is just out of this world... Now add to that property etc....
possunt quia posse videntur
Fyatu
#2059 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:11:18 AM

maka wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Can we also talk about defaults? I bank with NIC and the number of cars they have for sale on their site is just out of this world... Now add to that property etc....

Are you suggesting whatever i am seeing is fueled by debt? I thought the banks stopped lending when rates cap came into effect...there must be someone/somepeople somewhere making money out of all this...I have read in another thread that David Ndii claims it is one family that is eating nyama while most wazuans are suffering from fatique watching the lethargic NSE move sideways day-in day out...other quarters are saying foreign owned fintechs are reaping big with mobile loans that are mostly spent on sportpesa...My question still stands. How come this 6% growth yoy for the past 5 years(wit interruption in 2017) not translating into money in my pocket?
wukan
#2060 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:32:20 AM

Fyatu wrote:
maka wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Are you suggesting whatever i am seeing is fueled by debt? I thought the banks stopped lending when rates cap came into effect...there must be someone/somepeople somewhere making money out of all this...I have read in another thread that David Ndii claims it is one family that is eating nyama while most wazuans are suffering from fatique watching the lethargic NSE move sideways day-in day out...other quarters are saying foreign owned fintechs are reaping big with mobile loans that are mostly spent on sportpesa...My question still stands. How come this 6% growth yoy for the past 5 years(wit interruption in 2017) not translating into money in my pocket?

Effective growth will be felt if the growth rate is 7.5% and sustained. Unfortunately you can't achieve that rate with the current economic set up. What we have is a debt-fueled growth. The imbalance it is creating will have to be reset.

The growth in othaya and other rural towns is not driven by increased productivity(from stats there is no increase in maize or tea production)but from govt spending and bloated workforce. That spending is coming from over-taxing other sectors. The overtaxed sectors then slowdown on consumption and investment.

David Ndii was the key author on the public finance chapter of our katiba. He is the one who sent us on this slippery slope of big govt and uncontrolled borrowing.