wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
What would you do with 5 acres in Kitengela?
Xymalos
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:14:37 PM

I have 5 acres, with borehole water that I intend to use to generate income in retirement. I am thinking of low risk hustle free agriculture (hobby agriculture??) .. like growing fruits (passion, mangoes, avocados). What would you suggest I do with the 5 acres (of course not subdivide)?
Swenani
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:20:35 PM

Xymalos wrote:
I have 5 acres, with borehole water that I intend to use to generate income in retirement. I am thinking of low risk hustle free agriculture (hobby agriculture??) .. like growing fruits (passion, mangoes, avocados). What would you suggest I do with the 5 acres (of course not subdivide)?

Sell it as one parcel
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Xymalos
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:03:25 PM

Swenani wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

Sell it as one parcel

Sewani - I had not planned to sell. But if it were you, where would you put the money if you sold the land? I ask just incase there are other better options than farming.
Gathige
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:46:55 PM

Xymalos wrote:

@ Xymalos, Congratulations for achieving such. That's quite a sizeable chunk of land. Unless you have engaged an agronomist, and got recommendations fruits may not due very well in that area. Avocados for such wont.

My 2 banglapesa suggestions,

1. Fence the place with good cedar posts and do a chain link fence, mbuzi tight.
2. Put up a temporary structure and get a caretaker full time for a salary of not more than 5k a month.
3. Plough the place and harrow, for max 50k
4. Buy good boma Rhodes seeds, and plant before the rains in April
5. First year you get like 1000 bales . Harvesting and balling max 100 bob per bale. Sell each bale at 300 bob for you make 200k . Year 2 production doubles am deathly by year 3-5 yrs due to regeration you may get up to 300k per year

Minimal costs, no much risks and very high demand for hay during the dry season. They when you retire there you can do your hobby farming.

Risks.

1. Maasai goats and cows during the dry season. The herders can cut the fence if your caretakers winks.

Good luck

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
YoungMulla
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:42:14 PM

Gathige wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@ Xymalos, Congratulations for achieving such. That's quite a sizeable chunk of land. Unless you have engaged an agronomist, and got recommendations fruits may not due very well in that area. Avocados for such wont.

1. Fence the place with good cedar posts and do a chain link fence, mbuzi tight.
2. Put up a temporary structure and get a caretaker full time for a salary of not more than 5k a month.
5. First year you get like 1000 bales . Harvesting and balling max 100 bob per bale. Sell each bale at 300 bob for you make 200k . Year 2 production doubles am deathly by year 3-5 yrs due to regeration you may get up to 300k per year

Minimal costs, no much risks and very high demand for hay during the dry season. They when you retire there you can do your hobby farming.

Risks.

1. Maasai goats and cows during the dry season. The herders can cut the fence if your caretakers winks.

Good luck

Not bad advice
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
YoungMulla
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:44:01 PM

Xymalos wrote:

That's a good chunk you have there.

If it's near the town area why not develop a few plots and build rentals?
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
Xymalos
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:05:10 PM

Gathige wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

Risks.

Good luck

@Gathige - thank you, this is great suggestion. Fencing already done with chain link wire and treated eucalyptus posts (cedar banned). Fencing keeps Maasai goats and cows out. Need to move to #2 .. a temporary and care taker. Definitely a project to consider. Not engaged agronomist yet - fruits idea was my thought.
Xymalos
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:13:36 PM

YoungMulla wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

That's a good chink you have there.

If it's near the town area why not develop a few plots and build rentals?

@YoungMulla - its a farming retirement project. I have land for rentals elsewhere. So, looking for farming ideas.
S.Mutaga III
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:37:14 AM

Xymalos wrote:

I will tell you exactly what you don't want to hear. Subdivide and sell the plots. Use that money to build flats in a densely populated area. You are not getting any younger and the last thing you want is hustling at 80. If you sell that land as a whole you will forego a significant amount of money and whoever you sell to will most likely subdivide and do exactly what you are afraid of doing. You are much safer collecting rent at 70 than chasing around farm workers.This is a no-brainer. You can use the rental income to lease land and farm anyway. But the security of rental income in a high density area overshadows any other option you have because of age.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
Xymalos
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:15:24 AM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

I will tell you exactly what you don't want to hear. Subdivide and sell the plots. Use that money to build flats in a densely populated area. You are not getting any younger and the last thing you want is hustling at 80. If you sell that land as a whole you will forego a significant amount of money and whoever you sell to will most likely subdivide and do exactly what you are afraid of doing. You are much safer collecting rent at 70 than chasing around farm workers.This is a no-brainer. You can use the rental income to lease land and farm anyway. But the security of rental income in a high density area overshadows any other option you have because of age.

@Mutaga - I have a retirement plan/income from an international organization that I intend to convert into an annuity (or just drawdown) generating hustle free income for life. That is why apartments in a dense area, even being a good idea, is not for me. Ideas/insights into hustle free agriculture is what I am looking for.
S.Mutaga III
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:11:09 AM

Xymalos wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@Mutaga - I have a retirement plan/income from an international organization that I intend to convert into an annuity (or just drawdown) generating hustle free income for life. That is why apartments in a dense area, even being a good idea, is not for me. Ideas/insights into hustle free agriculture is what I am looking for.

You can't use hustle-free and agriculture in the same sentence. You are looking for a unicorn. It doesn't exist.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
Xymalos
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:18:31 AM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Xymalos wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

You can't use hustle-free and agriculture in the same sentence. You are looking for a unicorn. It doesn't exist.

I think there are farming opportunities that are less of a hustle. Hay growing mentioned above is a good example; let me hear from others. A minimal hustle is okay ..
S.Mutaga III
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:23:37 AM

I would choose collecting rent checks and playing golf/travelling/crossing off items in my bucket list any day - all day. You should perish the thought of hustle-free agriculture because it doesn't exist. Agriculture is a hands-on business. Anyway, I hope you get good advice and succeed. Good luck.
Gathige
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:45:39 AM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@S.Mutaga 111. Assuming the 5 acres are subdivided, he would get max 35 eight plots. Assuming a max 2 m per piece if in a very good location, that's a max 70 m sale proceeds. Buying a good plot I a densely populated place may set him back some 10m. Hoping the balance 60m gets him rentals which may take him another 15 yrs pay back before he start enjoying and golfing. Am sure at 75yrs he may not like the idea of traveling to exotic places.

Rentals are overrated.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
tom_boy
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:15:45 AM

Gathige wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@S.Mutaga 111. Assuming the 5 acres are subdivided, he would get max 35 eight plots. Assuming a max 2 m per piece if in a very good location, that's a max 70 m sale proceeds. Buying a good plot I a densely populated place may set him back some 10m. Hoping the balance 60m gets him rentals which may take him another 15 yrs pay back before he start enjoying and golfing. Am sure at 75yrs he may not like the idea of traveling to exotic places.

Rentals are overrated.

Why wait 15yrs to start enjoying the fruits of rentals. Hiyo ni theory. If you build cash, you start enjoying your fruits immediately. 70m at a conservative 5% rental return equates to 300k a month. Thats immediately available enjoyment money. Money to sink into any farming project your heart desires.

Word of caution, with housing fund Shenanigans, look carefully before you leap into real estate and rentals. Chances are, it will no longer be the profitable go to investment sector. Things are changing. Change with the times.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
MugundaMan
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:37:55 AM

Xymalos wrote:

My friend uko na 5 acres in beautiful dustbowl WITH A BOREHOLE na unakaa tu ndeeeeeeh kimalala not knowing what to do? Laughing out loudly I hope you are not working earning a crumbling payslip at a corporate gig while at it!

My suggestion given these disturbing facts is to sell to Mugundaman or someone like him yesterday!
Xymalos
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:48:34 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

My friend uko na 5 acres in beautiful dustbowl WITH A BOREHOLE na unakaa tu ndeeeeeeh kimalala not knowing what to do? Laughing out loudly I hope you are not working earning a crumbling payslip at a corporate gig while at it!

My suggestion given these disturbing facts is to sell to Mugundaman or someone like him yesterday!

@MugandaMan, I used a corporate pay-slip to buy the land and sink a borehole. Now its time to make use of the land instead of the land laying idle. I was thinking of growing less perishable crops like fruits .. but hay idea suggested earlier is appealing. What would you use the land for if it was yours?
MugundaMan
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:54:30 AM

Xymalos wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@MugandaMan, I used a corporate pay-slip to buy the land and sink a borehole. Now its time to make use of the land instead of the land laying idle. I was thinking of growing less perishable crops like fruits .. but hay idea suggested earlier is appealing. What would you use the land for if it was yours?

I have already answered, my broda. As someone pointed out hapo juu, you cannot have one foot in the payslip nation and the other foot doing farming by telephone and expect to go far. The best bet is to sell to a hands on Mugundaman and then reinvest in something passive that will not trouble your mind as you continue to work in corporate Kiinya.
hardwood
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:05:24 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Xymalos wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

I have already answered, my broda. As someone pointed out hapo juu, you cannot have one foot in the payslip nation and the other foot doing farming by telephone and expect to go far. The best bet is to sell to a hands on Mugundaman and then reinvest in something passive that will not trouble your mind as you continue to work in corporate Kiinya.

He could try pig farming like his jirani huko dutbowl.

https://www.nation.co.ke...170410-xwa3w0/index.html
sparkly
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:21:50 AM

Xymalos wrote:

Shamba achia watoto, consider it your gift to future generations.
Life is short. Live passionately.