wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Volkswagen Golf Variant
kaimbaga2012
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 12:57:05 PM

Hello all.

Kindly requesting for advice on the reliability and ease of maintenance of the Volkswagen Golf variant.

Am considering importing one soon

Thank you.
kaimbaga2012
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 4:34:35 PM

kaimbaga2012 wrote:
Hello all.

Kindly requesting for advice on the reliability and ease of maintenance of the Volkswagen Golf variant.

Thank you.

Anyone please. I know Wazua has very resourceful people.
hardwood
#3 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 5:17:26 PM

Wazua is a Toyota republic. That is why they have no info on German machines.
Gathige
#4 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 6:06:42 PM

kaimbaga2012 wrote:
Hello all.

Thank you.

Try JM Baraza of the DN motoring column. Happy Saturday ni wa Premio na DX
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
deadpoet
#5 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 8:38:51 PM

mufasa
#6 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 8:59:10 PM

kaimbaga2012 wrote:
Hello all.

Thank you.

I have the MK5 variant for a little over 4years.

The positives:
-The DSG gearbox is quite the performer. But Make sure its serviced it at 62000 miles.
-its very spacious and cozy + safe.
-economical on fuel esp over long distances.
Cons:
-you need to use high grade fuel (v-power) this will eventually save your pistons.
-theres a need to upgrade components such as valves and ignition coil to the latest versions
- I hear the mk6 uses less gearbox oil, which makes it fail more often.

I suggest you get MK7
Do it today! Tomorrow is promise to no-one.
kaimbaga2012
#7 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 9:11:02 PM

Taking notes. Thanks a lot everyone.

@Mufasa. What is the scope of gearbox service at 62000 miles. Any suggestions of a reputable Garage or Mechanic.
hardwood
#8 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 10:08:07 PM

mufasa wrote:
kaimbaga2012 wrote:
Hello all.

Thank you.

The positives:
-The DSG gearbox is quite the performer. But Make sure its serviced it at 62000 miles.
Cons:
-you need to use high grade fuel (v-power) this will eventually save your pistons.
-theres a need to upgrade components such as valves and ignition coil to the latest versions

I suggest you get MK7

Surely if a car performed normally for 8yrs abroad (normal fuel, valves, coils etc) why go to such extents after importation?
mufasa
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:41:46 AM

kaimbaga2012 wrote:
Taking notes. Thanks a lot everyone.

@Mufasa. What is the scope of gearbox service at 62000 miles. Any suggestions of a reputable Garage or Mechanic.

Normal oil change.
Why I mentioned it, is because some people wrongfully advise that the gearbox oil is for life.
mufasa
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:54:03 AM

hardwood wrote:
mufasa wrote:
kaimbaga2012 wrote:
Hello all.

Thank you.

The positives:
Cons:

I suggest you get MK7

Surely if a car performed normally for 8yrs abroad (normal fuel, valves, coils etc) why go to such extents after importation?

The car is designed to use fuel grade Ron 97. V-Power is Ron95. Normal petrol in Kenya is Ron 91.

If you use lower grade fuel, then you'll accumulate lots of carbon soot in your engine which is not good.

I suggested upgrade of these parts as an option. All car update their parts for various reasons.

VWs have very well tuned engines and to enjoy the car you must strive to keep that engine in good condition by performing all the scheduled long term and short term services...... Religiously.
bwenyenye
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:59:00 PM

I got the 2011 variant. It is a great vehicle and very comfortable. However, sometimes I feel the 1.4l engine is over boosted... Because that car is really really fast... Sometimes you feel some vibration on the transmission especially if you take off too fast... I think the gearbox and turbo charger boos need to be synchronized better... Just my thoughts. Its a lovely car though.. no regrets so far.
I Think Therefore I Am
kaimbaga2012
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:52:21 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
I got the 2011 variant. It is a great vehicle and very comfortable. However, sometimes I feel the 1.4l engine is over boosted... Because that car is really really fast... Sometimes you feel some vibration on the transmission especially if you take off too fast... I think the gearbox and turbo charger boos need to be synchronized better... Just my thoughts. Its a lovely car though.. no regrets so far.

Thank you for the feedback. Which fuel do you normally use.
bwenyenye
#13 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 12:27:15 PM

kaimbaga2012 wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:

Thank you for the feedback. Which fuel do you normally use.

It is quite sensitive on fuel but I fuel normal unleaded fuel but from select gas stations... I once fueled in a a particular station and you could feel the car performance change..

All the best. Its a great car.
I Think Therefore I Am