131 Pages«<100101102103104>»
Kenya Economy Watch
Ericsson
#2021 Posted: : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:24:16 AM

jmbada wrote:
maka wrote:
jmbada wrote:
Yliett wrote:
I am really worried that the tourism value has dropped really low. This is very alarming. Tourism is a very big sector in the countries economy. We need to see the reasons for this falling out. I really hope that the countries GDP will grow in the near future. What are your predictions?

The country's growth has been consistently abive 5% for at least 5 years. And, as others have posted, tourism numbers have risen for FY 2018. Now the stock of tourism facilities and destinations has also increased so individual hotels and resorts may not reap the full benefits of the resurgence in tourism numbers.

5% is a joke... Anyway what do I know....

How is 5% growth per annum a joke?

It's lower than the inflation rate.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
maka
#2022 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:25:57 AM

Ericsson wrote:
jmbada wrote:
maka wrote:
jmbada wrote:
Yliett wrote:
I am really worried that the tourism value has dropped really low. This is very alarming. Tourism is a very big sector in the countries economy. We need to see the reasons for this falling out. I really hope that the countries GDP will grow in the near future. What are your predictions?

The country's growth has been consistently abive 5% for at least 5 years. And, as others have posted, tourism numbers have risen for FY 2018. Now the stock of tourism facilities and destinations has also increased so individual hotels and resorts may not reap the full benefits of the resurgence in tourism numbers.

It's actually extremely good... I am really sorry about that statement... Pole sana.
possunt quia posse videntur
jmbada
#2023 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:40:15 AM

Ericsson wrote:
jmbada wrote:
maka wrote:
jmbada wrote:
Yliett wrote:

Wow! I did not even imagine that I need to specify that I am referring to REAL GDP growth rates, which is the standard reporting methodology for comparative GDP growth rates.
jmbada
#2024 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:42:23 AM

maka wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
jmbada wrote:
maka wrote:
jmbada wrote:
Yliett wrote:

It's actually extremely good... I am really sorry about that statement... Pole sana.

I did not say that the growth rate is perfect or in any way ideal. But you cannot refer to it as a joke.
rwitre
#2025 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:56:30 AM

Things are elephant

Quote:
PARASTATALS

The revelations have now turned the nation’s collective attention to the various multibillion-shilling deals Kenya has signed with government enterprises in China, including major infrastructure deals in the energy and transport sectors.

Because of the collateral clauses, Kenya’s cash-rich parastatals and firms risk Chinese takeover in case of a default.

Among them is the Mombasa-headquartered Kenya Ports Authority, whose exposure risk was recently the subject of an audit query by the Auditor-General.

KPA faces a particularly huge takeover risk as the Chinese loan negotiators ensured it was included in a strict take-or-pay agreement with Kenya Railways Corporation, meaning the port is at the centre of Kenya’s repayment obligations.

PORTS

It is the perfect gateway to a region in which China now commands a huge share of the market, with the value of imports to Kenya alone — mainly machinery and transport equipment — hitting Sh292 billion in the first 10 months of 2018.

KPA is not only responsible for the running of the port of Mombasa, but is also in charge of the development, maintenance, operation, improvement and regulation of the sea ports of Funzi, Kilifi, Kiunga, Lamu, Malindi, Mtwapa, Shimoni and Vanga on the coast of Kenya.

It also manages three inland container depots in Nairobi, Kisumu and Eldoret, and has three liaison offices in Kampala, Kigali and Bujumbura to cater for transit countries.

Another dry port is expected to be constructed in Naivasha, and plans are underway to put up a Sh14 billion port in Kisumu.

The only other State-owned firms with similar strategic importance are Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen), Kenya Power and Kenya Pipeline.

Back room deals of how Kenya was auctioned are coming to light.
Ericsson
#2026 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:08:50 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw60vf6XQAAQjJK.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw60vfwXgAEC2fR.jpg

Hon. Moses Kuria proposal to raise the interest rate cap by a margin to accommodate SME risk; so more capital can be redirected to enterprises and not government debt?
jmbada
#2027 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:01:33 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw60vf6XQAAQjJK.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw60vfwXgAEC2fR.jpg

Hon. Moses Kuria proposal to raise the interest rate cap by a margin to accommodate SME risk; so more capital can be redirected to enterprises and not government debt?

The drumbeat on this subject is endless.
https://www.businessdail...34810-o3owko/index.html
Another article from Muthui
Angelica _ann
#2028 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:47:17 AM

When our red hot economy growing at GDP +5% and plus plus and getting hotter, now this. Some imbeciles takes us back in the name of religion. Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Wakanyugi
#2029 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:10:23 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
When our red hot economy growing at GDP +5% and plus plus and getting hotter, now this. Some imbeciles takes us back in the name of religion. Sad Sad Sad

This may not hit the economy much (other than short term tourism bookings, which local tourists will likely fill up). If you look at past terrorism events they are often followed by a small positive economic bounce - reflecting a collective 'up yours' to Alkebab (which is how I am feeling right now).

I just listened to a business piece on radio where the announcer was expressing surprise that the Kenya shilling has not tanked yet, despite the terror event at Dusit. I think there is a perverse sense in which Kenyans (and the world in General) seem to have become inured to terrorism and most markets have simply priced it in. Whether this is a good thing or not is beyond me.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
kenyan2019
#2030 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 12:02:14 PM

Shippers: ‘Forcing us to use trains is a WTO violation’ https://www.businessdail...42814-3s2y7g/index.html via @BD_Africa
Ericsson
#2031 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 2:35:21 PM

The government is having a cash crunch/liquidity issues.

https://www.businessdail...4210-7vpnmyz/index.html

https://www.businessdail...943256-qp4y8w/index.html
Muthawamunene
#2032 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 6:27:45 PM

kenyan2019 wrote:
Shippers: ‘Forcing us to use trains is a WTO violation’ https://www.businessdail...42814-3s2y7g/index.html via @BD_Africa

Is anyone here familiar with the works of Ayn Rand? Books such as The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged?

In Atlas shrugged, do you remember the ridiculous equilaization laws? How they were phrased to make profit seeking seem like a vile thing that induced guilt and scorn? This is what the Kenyan government is doing.
tom_boy
#2033 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 6:50:34 PM

[quote=Ericsson]The government is having a cash crunch/liquidity issues.

https://www.businessdail...4210-7vpnmyz/index.html

https://www.businessdail...after-budget-cuts/39462 .
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
MugundaMan
#2034 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 10:33:24 AM

Kenya economy RED HAWTT Applause

https://www.nation.co.ke...duKH8ucngR9RzBhVbipX7uE

Ngelele makers keep crying tu till the cows come home. Kiinya inazidi kuzonga mbele.

Quote:
East Africa ranks as the fastest growing part of Sub-Saharan Africa, according to the UN’s World Economic Situation and Prospects 2019.

The report said overall economic expansion in EA measured 6.2 percent in 2018 and is forecast to accelerate to 6.4 percent (2019) and 6.5 percent in 2020.

Kenya’s economy grew by nearly six percent last year and will sustain that level in 2019 and 2020, the report said.

Ericsson
#2035 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:28:56 PM

Kenya’s public debt increased by Sh233.5 billion between July and December last year, hitting a total of Sh5.273 trillion up from Sh5.039 trillion six months earlier.

Latest debt data published by Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) shows external loans went up by Sh163.5 billion in the period, significantly outpacing the Sh70 billion increase in domestic debt.

https://www.businessdail...8066-123qxbqz/index.html
Ericsson
#2036 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:04:12 AM

The fun times are here & it's time to pay up Repayments include: -Sh78.7bn loan at 8%, maturing in March 2019
-Sh37.1bn loan owed to TDB maturing in June 2019
-Sh75.0bn Eurobond issued in 2014, maturing in June 2019
-Sh21.4bn to France, China
wukan
#2037 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:36:53 AM

Ericsson wrote:
The fun times are here & it's time to pay up Repayments include: -Sh78.7bn loan at 8%, maturing in March 2019
-Sh37.1bn loan owed to TDB maturing in June 2019
-Sh75.0bn Eurobond issued in 2014, maturing in June 2019
-Sh21.4bn to France, China

Tough year ahead. Cash is still king. Don't lend out your cash.
Ericsson
#2038 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 3:20:06 PM

Debt to GDP ratio is not a good parameter since political leaders/Jubilee will keep on churning inaccurate GDP numbers that make it look sustainable comparatively. The best way is to look at repayment ability ala debt sustainability and see where we are headed as a country.
murchr
#2039 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 11:13:19 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Debt to GDP ratio is not a good parameter since political leaders/Jubilee will keep on churning inaccurate GDP numbers that make it look sustainable comparatively. The best way is to look at repayment ability ala debt sustainability and see where we are headed as a country.

I thought the world bank churns that data? Is the data different from the one by CIA?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#2040 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2019 8:17:33 AM

https://www.standardmedi...osses-loom-at-varsities

Universities have pitched a strong case to increase fees to Sh48,000 from September this year even as the Ministry of Education rolled over the push with far-reaching cost cutting counter-measures.