wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Songs that bring back memories
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:35:34 PM

Please give the backstory to why it brings memories (good or bad) for you

This one, this one, this one brings bad memories, my frens.... We got lost pamoja in the French Quarter. We were super young and in puppy luv. We were standing by the wall on a pavement with lots of humanity rushing by. All I remember was her taking refuge in my embrace as i put the jacket over us both because it was a bit chilly (Dec weather). This song was blaring from a nearby bar, not knowing what to do next in that big city. Imagine not knowing where to go next, its getting dark and there was no Whatsapp etc back then. Thankfully after about an hour of panic we see our buddies (who had disappeared without trace) walking down the street at a leisurely pace as if they had emerged from Gikomba market! I have never felt so happy and relieved seeing our fellow mwabrika like we did that day! She now lives in a different African country and we long ago lost touch. Memories jameni. I am sure wherever she is she remembers that day (and me) very well. Unfortunately, since I became a believer I do not listen to songs like these any more except very rarely like today.

Kelele makers and millenials please peleka upusi elsewhere, this is a serious, real and honest thread for grown folks only.
Angelica _ann
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:41:38 PM

Awuoro, no wordsSad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:40:52 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Awuoro, no wordsSad

Why now? d'oh! smile
MugundaMan
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:43:15 PM

This one, this one, this one reminds me of the fear of exams back in the day when paros would warn us usipopita exams you are doomed!

MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:47:02 PM

https://soundcloud.com/p...ment/09-aggie-na-maggie

This one (rare) reminds me of my pagan party days. That beat was heavy jameni.
wukan
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:36:53 PM

This concert by Kanda bongo man and the late Joseph Kamaru at Nyayo stadium April 1991. It was spectacular and it was electrifying, the real thitima. It brings back memories of a time when life seemed simple, joyful and there was a sense of optimism. The crazy thing is that it's my parents who insisted that we had to go and watch it after they watched the live performance at carnivore. One of the best gifts everApplause Applause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQQarQMvd8
MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 3:06:30 AM

wukan wrote:
This concert by Kanda bongo man and the late Joseph Kamaru at Nyayo stadium April 1991. It was spectacular and it was electrifying, the real thitima. It brings back memories of a time when life seemed simple, joyful and there was a sense of optimism. The crazy thing is that it's my parents who insisted that we had to go and watch it after they watched the live performance at carnivore. One of the best gifts everApplause Applause

he he he he were you one of those in the crowd dancing vigorously?
I always thought Wukan was a millenial kumbe wewe ni mzee wa kijiji sitting on a three legged stool. The past always seems like a simpler time because we remember more of the good than we do the bad. For me this era reminds of kina Rare Watts and the Fiat Uno they used to compete for. Many Kilimani mums swear by the fact that those compe's at KICC made their youth. Paco Perez, DJ babbs (Carni), I wonder if they are still alive. And Campus Nites at Club Visions Kimathi St aka "Visio" dancing till dawn..And their menacing bouncers in black suits. That dancefloor was small but always packed! hauuuuwiii those were the days.

Swenani
#8 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 10:33:16 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:

he he he he were you one of those in the crowd dancing vigorously?
I always thought Wukan was a millenial kumbe wewe ni mzee wa kijiji sitting on a three legged stool. The past always seems like a simpler time because we remember more of the good than we do the bad. For me this era reminds of kina Rare Watts and the Fiat Uno they used to compete for. Many Kilimani mums swear by the fact that those compe's at KICC made their youth. Paco Perez, DJ babbs (Carni), I wonder if they are still alive. And Campus Nites at Club Visions Kimathi St aka "Visio" dancing till dawn..And their menacing bouncers in black suits. That dancefloor was small but always packed! hauuuuwiii those were the days.

Life was simple because you were not footing any bills. Same way your kids will reminisce on their lives and argue that it was simple and easy
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
harrydre
#9 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 5:11:48 PM

oooh my...here we go...Vioja theme song

i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#10 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 5:42:23 PM

These were the days!...Tausi

i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#11 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 5:44:30 PM

Tahamaki...

i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#12 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 5:48:58 PM

Vitimbi theme song...

i.am.back!!!!
MugundaMan
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:50:02 AM

Swenani wrote:

Life was simple because you were not footing any bills. Same way your kids will reminisce on their lives and argue that it was simple and easy

Pure truth my bradza.
But I think there were also other challenges of a unique sort back then. I for example detested school. Punishments, endless boring classes, exams pressure, terrible food in boarding school, very short likizo's that always ended too soon and so on. Leaving the gates of the "prison" I had just spent 4 years in after "clearing" the last KCSE exam was one of the happiest days of my life to date, bro! I even remember this song playing in the vehicle I was in as I saw the school gates disappear behind me forever!.....

Little did I know that life was just beginning and bills awaited Laughing out loudly

MugundaMan
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:54:34 AM

harrydre wrote:
Tahamaki...

Thanks for the mems, bro.
Kenya was simple back then in many ways indeed
TV channels were one or two
Both channels always begun with a "mtukufu Rais" bulletin
What I regret is I didn't buy mugundas back then. Imagine if I bought 30 acres in the Kitengela bushes (that are now the Kitengela CBD) back then. Unfortunately the word Kitengela was on nobody's mind back then except the extremely adventurous who ended up reaping big once the Zebras left and Nairobi's population grew big time like it will continue to do in the future at current birth rates. Hindsight is of course always 20-20
kaka2za
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 7:08:59 AM

I haven't seen any song posted yet. Just signature tunes
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
wukan
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 8:12:06 AM

Man Nairobi had life those days of Win a car dance competition akina rare watts and soukous party. Nairobi was one very culturally connected place back then. Now you can't even organize a decent concert that fills half a stadium. You now have anga sijui blankets and wines and those kamakis goat eating clubs and politicians are the ones who fill stadiums. What went wrong??
wukan
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 8:32:46 AM

harrydre wrote:
oooh my...here we go...Vioja theme song

Backstory on this one. I picture my mum in the kitchen cooking chapos and the shouting "mkimaliza kuona hiyo muzime mfanye homework"
MugundaMan
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 9:19:58 PM

Whatever happened to these dudes? When this song came out they were larger than life back in the day. If you wanted to tune a chick properly back in those days all you needed to do was put a cassette in the boom box with B2M playing the background lower your voice as you speak and she would ingia box nyweeee mara that that.
harrydre
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 5:39:07 PM

if Boney M rings a bell wear those dancing shoes...70's & early 80's

Christmas wasn't Christmas without some Boney M

original Boney M members

i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:36:00 PM

i.am.back!!!!