wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What happened to the OLX.ke app?
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:22:04 AM

I used to love this app. Would get everything from plots to gadgets to solar materials etc from here yet all of a sudden it started asking me to "update" to the new app, yet when you go to Google play store it says "this app is not available for download in your country." Am I the only one stuck in this limbo? I've tried uninstalling the app but still the same problem. The website on PC works fine but the phone app has a glitch ama it's my cheap smart phone that has the glitch.

Jimmii
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:54:48 PM

I agree, their service has deteroriated. It seems Naspers - the parent company, is no longer interested in the Kenyan(African) market. OLX closed the Kenyan physical office last year and Naspers has also shutdown multiple services throughout Africa. I suspect OLX Ke makes money but it's not as much as what the owners expect compared to the work they put in so they no longer focus on it.
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 2:44:15 PM

Jimmii wrote:
I agree, their service has deteroriated. It seems Naspers - the parent company, is no longer interested in the Kenyan(African) market. OLX closed the Kenyan physical office last year and Naspers has also shutdown multiple services throughout Africa. I suspect OLX Ke makes money but it's not as much as what the owners expect compared to the work they put in so they no longer focus on it.

This makes a lot of sense. How did they used to make money though given it was basically free classifieds for everyone. Third party ads?
Free
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 8:26:03 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Jimmii wrote:

This makes a lot of sense. How did they used to make money though given it was basically free classifieds for everyone. Third party ads?

At some point they introduced premium rates for keeping giving preference for paid ads. I guess when that didn't pick they decided to ship out..
MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 8:35:02 PM

Free wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Jimmii wrote:

At some point they introduced premium rates for keeping giving preference for paid ads. I guess when that didn't pick they decided to ship out..

Ahaa no wonder. I too wouldn't pay to list. Seems these classified things are very hard to make money out of as most do not want to pay to list (even if it is one shilling) when there is no guarantee their item will move. I would always see those paid ads and do not remember clicking on any even once.