wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Homeownership journeys
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 7:36:45 PM

I feel these stories deserve their own separate thread as they can help many aspiring homeowners. Enjoy!

Smart lady. Bought a plot in Kiserian at Oletepes, (dustbowl county of courseDancing) Did not want to rent nor wait to have all the money to build because money to build is hard to come by.

Bought a block making machine and built the house. Her advice: Build the basic structure with roof, move in and finish slowly. Her parting shot (paraphrased); "Don't worry and get depression about having a place to stay. Building a house is so easy."

#DustBowlRising
Gathige
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:01:50 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
I feel these stories deserve their own separate thread as they can help many aspiring homeowners. Enjoy!

Smart lady. Bought a plot in Kiserian at Oletepes, (dustbowl county of courseDancing) Did not want to rent nor wait to have all the money to build because money to build is hard to come by.

Bought a block making machine and built the house. Her advice: Build the basic structure with roof, move in and finish slowly. Her parting shot (paraphrased); "Don't worry and get depression about having a place to stay. Building a house is so easy."

#DustBowlRising

@MugundaMan, Please repost the link.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:46:53 PM

NTV had pulled it down to edit it..it's now back up
MugundaMan
#4 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 9:01:44 AM

A homeownership journey from some time back. This couple was not serious.

They built a beautiful home in dustbowl, moved in, then "suddenly" discovered living there was impossible Laughing out loudly. How now? A few questions for them.

1) When they were going through the process of construction, didn't they encounter the traffic on MSA rd back and forth? Surely they cannot claim they found out msa road traffic is bad after they moved into their house! Why didn't they realise at this point (during construction) that the commute was "too far"?

2) They are talking about "lack of access to medical facilities" as if Nairobi hospital or Karen hospital are located in TurukanaLaughing out loudly. These hospitals are just a mere few kms away from dustbowl towns bordering Nairobi.

3) They speak of "missing their social life" having grown up in Nairobi. What a reason! Create your social life where you are. If you need to be in Nairobi to have a social life then perhaps your social life is severely in need of drastic changes.

4) As for the kids, I understand how they want to spend more time with them. That is their right. This is the only sensible reason they gave.

5) As for water I almost fell on the ground laughing at that one. Which place in Nairobi does not have water issues of some sort? These guys were just making excuses tu.

Moral of the story; if you are addicted to Nairobi, it rules your social life, you want a posh hospital within 2 metres of your house, and you can't stand traffic for a mere few hours a day (if you have to commute), do not build in and move to dustbowl!
sparkly
#5 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 9:10:44 AM

MugundaMan wrote:

They built a beautiful home in dustbowl, moved in, then "suddenly" discovered living there was impossible Laughing out loudly. How now? A few questions for them.

1) When they were going through the process of construction, didn't they encounter the traffic on MSA rd back and forth? Surely they cannot claim they found out msa road traffic is bad after they moved into their house! Why didn't they realise at this point (during construction) that the commute was "too far"?

2) They are talking about "lack of access to medical facilities" as if Nairobi hospital or Karen hospital are located in TurukanaLaughing out loudly. These hospitals are just a mere few kms away from dustbowl towns bordering Nairobi.

3) They speak of "missing their social life" having grown up in Nairobi. What a reason! Create your social life where you are. If you need to be in Nairobi to have a social life then perhaps your social life is severely in need of drastic changes.

4) As for the kids, I understand how they want to spend more time with them. That is their right. This is the only sensible reason they gave.

5) As for water I almost fell on the ground laughing at that one. Which place in Nairobi does not have water issues of some sort? These guys were just making excuses tu.

Moral of the story; if you are addicted to Nairobi, it rules your social life, you want a posh hospital within 2 metres of your house, and you can't stand traffic for a mere few hours a day (if you have to commute), do not build in and move to dustbowl!

Makes a good case for gated communities with proper facilities and a social life.
Life is short. Live passionately.
wukan
#6 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 10:41:06 AM

MugundaMan wrote:

That msa rd commute is agonizing 2-3 hours a day is not a joke. You end up with all manner of back problems, get late or miss appointments, you leave early and get home so late you can't spend time with kids.

"lack of access to medical facilities" means there are particular doctors/hospitals that you are used to, you can't trust just everyone. Nairobians were socialized into particular places where treatment was effective-you avoided GoK facilities unless it was an emergency. There are some particular Indian doctors and dentists that used to be highly recommended. I still use the same facilities coz I trust their competence-blame my parents for this.

Social life ya dust bowl is not sophisticated ni bars and basic restaurants tu, hakuna movies halls, coffee houses, golf clubs, libraries, night clubs where you can meet decent people(remember you posted a video of people stripping some girl because of her attire-wtf!!). Nairobi you can sample all manner of cuisines swahili dishes, indian, ethiopian, chinese. There are business networks that thrive in the nairobi social life. Those are the guys who tell you about job openings, deals, consultancies, they recommend you and your services to their networks.

Honestly the water issues in dust bowl are legendary. Maji ya chumvi is not really what you want to consume or that flouride that makes you teeth brown/green. nairobians learned to cope with water shortages you have reliable water trucks guys.

It's not addiction it's hard to duplicate the nairobian way of life. It's an ecosystem that developed over time when gava & kanjo services failed and it works in its own peculiar manner. From mama mboga, to local shopkeeper, to Omosh the mechanic, the mama wa kufua nguo, the taxi guy. You can always call even at midnite, the doctor friend the lawyer friend those are city networks and you won't find in dustbowl!! Kila nyani na starehe zake

MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 1:07:11 PM

Wukan returns! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
The post was too juicy to resist Laughing out loudly
Karibu back to Wazoo, ndugu. Kuingia ni mandazi, kutoka ni Jiwe!
MugundaMan
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:38:29 PM

3rd generation Kenyan-Goan, house on Riara rd. 5br, 2.5 acres.
Not well received by the kaburus who dominated the area.

House bought by parents in 1954, she bought it from the mother in 1973 for a "whopping" 300,000 kshs!

Not many details provided but seems they eventually sold it to buy a bungalow in Karen. She must have minted big. I like her logic about why she wanted a bungalow rather than a maisonette. Great insight for developers who may cater to the older generation in their house designs.

Moral of the story as always; buy yesterday. Youngsters, msidharau plots and building on them. What you buy in dustbowl for 1-2m+ and build on may be what will be going for 300m 20 or 30 years down the line!

Can't wait for next week's highlight of dustbowl's Jewel in the Crown (Kitengela) on this show Dancing
MugundaMan
#9 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 2:34:53 AM

As a renter in Thogoto, Miss Mueni makes a great point that developers need to take note of. Yes there is a housing deficit that the supply side must meet, but quality matters not just quantity. So watu wa threadbare bedsitters and apartments with poor finishings beware. If you start seeing high vacancies in this red hot market, perhaps it is not the market itself that is cooling, but the market for your sub-par product is the one that is cooling.
MugundaMan
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:15:13 AM

Yet another smart lady. We see these stories over and over again and they all end up well.

Jameni she bought in EmbulBul (dustbowl Dancing) in 1989. 1/2 Acre for a "whopping" 60,000 kshs! Now you can imagine what the property is worth. I was reading the papers jana about some succession case of a judge whose assets were valued at 5B. Even before finishing the first sentence I already knew that 99% of that net worth had to be from real estate and indeed it was. Dustbowlers (youngsters especially)arise! The future is in your hands. Either you join mama Muchiri and the rest of us in building dustbowl nation for our children's children or we gnash teeth forever saying you are allergic to plots!

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!
Kate_Mbarire
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:16:40 AM

wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

That msa rd commute is agonizing 2-3 hours a day is not a joke. You end up with all manner of back problems, get late or miss appointments, you leave early and get home so late you can't spend time with kids.

"lack of access to medical facilities" means there are particular doctors/hospitals that you are used to, you can't trust just everyone. Nairobians were socialized into particular places where treatment was effective-you avoided GoK facilities unless it was an emergency. There are some particular Indian doctors and dentists that used to be highly recommended. I still use the same facilities coz I trust their competence-blame my parents for this.

Social life ya dust bowl is not sophisticated ni bars and basic restaurants tu, hakuna movies halls, coffee houses, golf clubs, libraries, night clubs where you can meet decent people(remember you posted a video of people stripping some girl because of her attire-wtf!!). Nairobi you can sample all manner of cuisines swahili dishes, indian, ethiopian, chinese. There are business networks that thrive in the nairobi social life. Those are the guys who tell you about job openings, deals, consultancies, they recommend you and your services to their networks.

Honestly the water issues in dust bowl are legendary. Maji ya chumvi is not really what you want to consume or that flouride that makes you teeth brown/green. nairobians learned to cope with water shortages you have reliable water trucks guys.

It's not addiction it's hard to duplicate the nairobian way of life. It's an ecosystem that developed over time when gava & kanjo services failed and it works in its own peculiar manner. From mama mboga, to local shopkeeper, to Omosh the mechanic, the mama wa kufua nguo, the taxi guy. You can always call even at midnite, the doctor friend the lawyer friend those are city networks and you won't find in dustbowl!! Kila nyani na starehe zake

There's a reason Wukan you continue to be my favorite sigh sigh!

Your comment for number 1 is on point..and totally resonates with my thoughts..I just cannot deal with the commute of two hours a day.quality of life?When do you get to spend time with your loved ones?leaving at 4am and back at 8pm (in quest to avoid traffic)when the kids have slept is just a NO NO for me.

Number 5:The water and flouride issue..very key.watch out for giving kids this water(even cooking with it is forbidden) as their teeth will stain and they will blame you thru their teenage hood.I was brought up in ngong and my mum waited till we were six years before moving us to our home they built those many years back as she cleverly observed all kids had brown teeth in the area...therefore she cleverly decided to delay the move to our home till I was six years old(when teeth are fully formed)

The only drawback to Nairobi living is minimal nature eg trees...backyard manicured lawns etc...that you get in dust bowl areas like.kiserian ngong. Etc.

MugundaMan
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:54:55 AM

Kate_Mbarire wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Your comment for number 1 is on point..and totally resonates with my thoughts..I just cannot deal with the commute of two hours a day.quality of life?When do you get to spend time with your loved ones?leaving at 4am and back at 8pm (in quest to avoid traffic)when the kids have slept is just a NO NO for me.

Number 5:The water and flouride issue..very key.watch out for giving kids this water(even cooking with it is forbidden) as their teeth will stain and they will blame you thru their teenage hood.I was brought up in ngong and my mum waited till we were six years before moving us to our home they built those many years back as she cleverly observed all kids had brown teeth in the area...therefore she cleverly decided to delay the move to our home till I was six years old(when teeth are fully formed)

The only drawback to Nairobi living is minimal nature eg trees...backyard manicured lawns etc...that you get in dust bowl areas like.kiserian ngong. Etc.

Wukan may be your hero but I have called him out on many of his lies and porojo about dustbowl yet he still keeps regurgitating them daily and running with them

On the issues you "love" about his post...

1. The commute. Who says everyone who lives in dustbowl commutes to Nairobi CBD. Not everyone who invests in our beautiful dustbowl is a member of payslip nation. Regardless, Has Wukan ever commuted down Thika Superhighway in the morning (coming into CBD) and at night (leaving CBD)? Laughing out loudly please let him tell us if that commute takes 2 minutes or not. We all know the answer. That's a cop out excuse. Even within Nairobi..getting from one side to another involves crazy hours lost to traffic. Also, new roads and bypasses are being built every year so traffic woes will not remain static. To say you will not invest in dustbowl because of traffic is the funniest reason ever, but that is your right.

2. "Maji ya chumvi" / fluoride myth. Another insidious lie he keeps regurgitating like it was an overfilled pit latrine that nobody wants to empty. He never specifies where and when nor provides facts to prove that fresh water is absent in dustbowl. Some of the freshest water in Kenya is found from dustbowl boreholes in diverse places. The funniest of all..he claims Nairobians have "their reliable water trucks guys" that they depend on Laughing out loudly As if dustbowl is denied the same.

I can go on and on.

Bottom line, listen to Wukan at your own peril. Remember this is the same chap who advocated for high end bedsitters on Kirinyaga road where potholes are galore, kiosks are carried away by water every rainy season and filth and garbage are strewn all over the streets there. Laughing out loudly Yeye ni rafiki yangu but he has very strange reasoning when it comes to property in this here our beloved Kiinya and is not exactly the first person that comes to mind as a resource on property investment not just in Kenya but anywhere or anytime both now, in the past or in the future.

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!

Kate_Mbarire
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 10:20:41 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Kate_Mbarire wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Wukan may be your hero but I have called him out on many of his lies and porojo about dustbowl yet he still keeps regurgitating them daily and running with them

On the issues you "love" about his post...

1. The commute. Who says everyone who lives in dustbowl commutes to Nairobi CBD. Not everyone who invests in our beautiful dustbowl is a member of payslip nation. Regardless, Has Wukan ever commuted down Thika Superhighway in the morning (coming into CBD) and at night (leaving CBD)? Laughing out loudly please let him tell us if that commute takes 2 minutes or not. We all know the answer. That's a cop out excuse. Even within Nairobi..getting from one side to another involves crazy hours lost to traffic. Also, new roads and bypasses are being built every year so traffic woes will not remain static. To say you will not invest in dustbowl because of traffic is the funniest reason ever, but that is your right.

2. "Maji ya chumvi" / fluoride myth. Another insidious lie he keeps regurgitating like it was an overfilled pit latrine that nobody wants to empty. He never specifies where and when nor provides facts to prove that fresh water is absent in dustbowl. Some of the freshest water in Kenya is found from dustbowl boreholes in diverse places. The funniest of all..he claims Nairobians have "their reliable water trucks guys" that they depend on Laughing out loudly As if dustbowl is denied the same.

I can go on and on.

Bottom line, listen to Wukan at your own peril. Remember this is the same chap who advocated for high end bedsitters on Kirinyaga road where potholes are galore, kiosks are carried away by water every rainy season and filth and garbage are strewn all over the streets there. Laughing out loudly Yeye ni rafiki yangu but he has very strange reasoning when it comes to property in this here our beloved Kiinya and is not exactly the first person that comes to mind as a resource on property investment not just in Kenya but anywhere or anytime both now, in the past or in the future.

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!

Very wrong
MugundaMan
#14 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 10:22:58 AM

Interesting journey. Sold his car for the deposit. Bought at 8.3 before the roads were built ...now worth over 11. It helps that the developer was a trustworthy guy who delivered on all promises. Many developers promise pools, gyms, shopping centres off-plan then when you move in after the apartments have been built you find zero.
wukan
#15 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 1:12:29 PM

Quote:
Nairobi City currently has 162.7Km of sewer lines covering its area of 695 SQKM. The existing sewer
infrastructure in Nairobi serves areas such as Kilimani, Kileleshwa, and the CBD, leaving a majority of the city
residents who live in low-end areas such as in the informal settlements with no access to sewer lines.

The situation is similar in other parts of the metropolitan area, with Kiambu County having only 11km of sewer line serving its total area of 2,543.4 SQKM, while Mavoko sub-county currently has only 31.1km of sewer lines serving its 963 SQKM total jurisdiction. Kajiado County also suffers from the same predicament, with none of its towns having sewerage connections,a situation that in September 2018 led residents of Kitengela to unveil plans to build their own sewer line.

Say this from the Cytonn nairobi metro area infrastructure report. Kajiado county govt has some work cut out. I don't understand why they can't establish a local service board for Kitengela town. That's too big a town to operate without sewer lines.
MugundaMan
#16 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 1:19:29 PM

wukan wrote:
Quote:
Nairobi City currently has 162.7Km of sewer lines covering its area of 695 SQKM. The existing sewer
infrastructure in Nairobi serves areas such as Kilimani, Kileleshwa, and the CBD, leaving a majority of the city
residents who live in low-end areas such as in the informal settlements with no access to sewer lines.

The situation is similar in other parts of the metropolitan area, with Kiambu County having only 11km of sewer line serving its total area of 2,543.4 SQKM, while Mavoko sub-county currently has only 31.1km of sewer lines serving its 963 SQKM total jurisdiction. Kajiado County also suffers from the same predicament, with none of its towns having sewerage connections,a situation that in September 2018 led residents of Kitengela to unveil plans to build their own sewer line.

Say this from the Cytonn nairobi metro area infrastructure report. Kajiado county govt has some work cut out. I don't understand why they can't establish a local service board for Kitengela town. That's too big a town to operate without sewer lines.

https://www.standardmedi...rs-replace-septic-tanks

https://www.homepower.co...-efficiency-environment

In this era of biodigesters, sewer lines for the average 1/8th to 1 acre property in the suburbs of Nairobi (Dustbowl, Ruiru, Kangundo rd etc) are unneeded. They are only needed for the high density areas that have flats/commercial properties etc. And they are also much needed for Nairobi core's informal settlements that house a whopping 60% of the population and cannot afford biodigesters. The scary part is the contamination of ground water resources in Nairobi core through pit latrines and river effluent from these slums. I would be very scared to drink borehole water within Nairobi City limits. At least NWSC water is somewhat treated.
MugundaMan
#17 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 3:08:56 AM

This weeks homeownership journeys were boring. The mama from UK one was a repeat from many months ago and the Bahati one sounded like an extended brag about his life rather than a helpful analysis of his homeownership journey,,,and we didnt even see what the house looks like from the outside just tufunny funny blue lights from the gypsum board in the sitting room and not much else. Bure sana!
Kate_Mbarire
#18 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 9:34:57 PM

Yes I normally look forward to property show but this time it was substandard
MugundaMan
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:19:58 AM

Kate_Mbarire wrote:

Seconded. Seems also that they are just doing re-runs/compilations of home-ownership journeys past on the Property Show. Perhaps the season is ending. Can't wait for new ones.

wukan
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:30:36 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Kate_Mbarire wrote:

Seconded. Seems also that they are just doing re-runs/compilations of home-ownership journeys past on the Property Show. Perhaps the season is ending. Can't wait for new ones.

yaani those west suites completely sold out in such a short period and those are 25sqm for 3m. The lady mentions 8% yield implying rent of 20k per month. d'oh! The developer is moving to south b while kilimani and kileleshwa is full of empty 20m apartments.