aemathenge
#41 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 3:34:26 PM

After Re-do Elections, Dangers Still Lurk in Kenya

Source: The Washington Post Opinion by Patrick Gathara

Copy and Paste Extract

Quote:
Yada, yada, yada.

So what’s next?

Kenyatta has said he is now willing to talk to Raila Odinga, his main rival, though no one is sure what about.

However, Kenyans should be wary of leaving it up to the two of them.

Kenya’s political factions have historically been interested, not in free and fair polls, but rather in retaining the ability to manipulate results while denying the same to opponents.

The inevitable horse trading always leads to shortchanging of the electorate.

Kenya cannot afford to leave its politics to the whims of its politicians.

Any talks should be conducted within the context of a wider national dialogue that involves a wider cross section of society, including representatives of civil society and workers, as well as religious and business leaders.

Similarly, the issues to be addressed must go beyond the narrow interests of political parties.

The agenda must include the people’s “irreducible minimums”

— comprehensive audit and reform of the electoral system;

Constitutional changes to shore up the independence of the judiciary and other constitutional bodies;

Reform of the police;

Compliance with all the provisions of the constitution, including the requirement that no gender should have more than two-thirds representation in any appointed or electoral bodies;

And implementation of the report of the Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission, which has been gathering dust in parliament for the past three years,

- So that Kenya can finally begin the hard work of righting the wrongs of the past.

However, dangers remain.

The ruling elite will not easily give up its privileged position, which is undergirded by the state.

The colonial regime was not legitimated by popular will but by a combination of brute force, co-opting of ethnic elites and dividing the people along ethnic lines.

The continuing brutal crackdown on protests and the use of tribal militia in tit-for-tat attacks show that the owners have lost none of their appetite for both state-sponsored and privately contracted ethnic violence.

Reform of Kenya’s colonial state is by no means inevitable. It will be forcefully resisted.

But if the people hold firm, they will eventually prevail.

Source Link:
MatataMingi
#42 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 4:49:32 PM

I am 70 years old.
I have only voted in 3 elections that Kibaki was involved in. I know him personally, and have great respect for the man, his ideas and his achievements over the short period he was the president.

Apart from voting for Kibaki, I have never voted for anyone else. Not Moi, not Uhuru, not Raila.

However, after the 8/8 elections that the SC nullified, Raila had a golden opportunely to gain momentum on the back of the the SC ruling.
He did not. And he and his advisors will live to regret this.

I personally am tired of this election saga. Please let us live in peace.

Read the attached article that articulates this blunder on his part.

https://www.standardmedi...after-poll-nullification
Lolest!
#43 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:35:52 PM

[quote=MatataMingi]I am 70 years old.
I have only voted in 3 elections that Kibaki was involved in. I know him personally, and have great respect for the man, his ideas and his achievements over the short period he was the president.

Apart from voting for Kibaki, I have never voted for anyone else. Not Moi, not Uhuru, not Raila.

However, after the 8/8 elections that the SC nullified, Raila had a golden opportunely to gain momentum on the back of the the SC ruling.

https://www.standardmedi...fter-poll-nullification[/quote]

Seventy? Sabini?

Why are you not referring to others patronizingly as 'young man'?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
radio
#44 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:43:23 PM

Lolest! wrote:
[quote=MatataMingi]I am 70 years old.

https://www.standardmedi...fter-poll-nullification[/quote]

Seventy? Sabini?

Why are you not referring to others patronizingly as 'young man'?

I am equally surprised
muandiwambeu
#45 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 10:00:04 AM

Baratang wrote:
newfarer wrote:
limanika wrote:
@wakanyugi - why is it uhuru to bend backwards but not raila. case in point - on 8/8, uhuru got a sizeable number of votes in Nyanza. That means he has supporters there. Ra asks his people to block voting completely and thus denies uhuru's supporters their right, hoping SC will invalidate the election due to lack of voting in these constituencies.

Again someone like this with warped thinking, keen on bringing your govt down, how do you invite him to take some control unless you are on suicide mission?

laws of power:

Law 2 Never put too Much Trust in Friends, Learn how to use Enemies Be wary of friends-they will betray you more quickly, for they are easily aroused to envy. They also become spoiled and tyrannical. But hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend, because he has more to prove. In fact, you have more to fear from friends than from enemies. If you have no enemies, find a way to make them.

and by the way raila does not have the loaf ,it's in Uhurus hands.

People will never stop amazing me with entertaining things they read in books and trying to apply them in real life. More often than not they backfire (at least 90%) because there is no immediate solution challenges encountered.

I believe when it comes to politics (and not just politics) create your own rules. Act on them and live by them.

Uhuruto by failure to play national politics inclusively, made their pin pointed chair, let them sit on it. However, RAO now is a traitor to Kenyans soverenity, even a single vote is enough to elect a president in Kenya. HOwever, RAO has a pointinhand, that can be pursued peacefully and will be an attraction to Kenyans of all walks despite whom they voted for. Presidency is every Kenyans welfare, that any legit Kenyan can participate into by voting or offering candidacy, not a lineage of succession monarchy.
UHURUTO are damned mean with hii nyama, hata sisi tunaitaka pia.Mzee muthengi aeawa njoi na kabanuri(tot measure) thingiraini, ti mbere ya mungiki(adhara). Kibaki excelled in this, and Ntimama is our witness for this.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Wakanyugi
#46 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 3:58:37 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Dear Uhuru

....a suggestion on how you can start with what is clearly your job number one, uniting this nation.

1. Bring Raila, Kalonzo and Mudavadi back into government.

2. You will be sorely tempted to settle scores with the Supreme Court. Give it up. They were doing their job. They are not perfect but then neither are you.

3. Finally we need to do something about our winner take all constitution.

Dear Mr President,

So far so good.....

Social engineering is a messy process and you will never be given credit for it, but you don't really care for that do you? Still you have some serious work and tidying up to do before this can become your legacy:

(i) Call a kitchen cabinet meeting and speak with Ruto. Tell him the Constitution change will happen (one way or the other) but he needs to own the process, not oppose it, if he does not wish to become its casualty. So far all the stars are aligned in his favor, but politics is a fickle mistress.

(ii) You need to find Kalonzo and Mudavadi a face saving exit from their failed political adventure, same as you did for Baba. Some thoughts:
- Put Mudavadi in that Economic Advisory Council you have been thinking about
- As for Kalonzo, peace is about to break out between Eritrea and Ethiopia and all the signs are that new dispensations are afoot in Somalia and South Sudan. A new peace envoy for the horn?

(iii) As for those Mt Kenyan leaders angling to be Rutos running mate, tell them not to bother. It will not happen unless Ruto has been smoking something he should not. The new frontier for 'Nyumba ya Mumbi' is Economic not political. They would be better served to claim the title of post Uhuru Tribal Kingpin, whatever good that will do them.

(iv) Meanwhile, keep channeling that Kibakiesque 'silent treatment' as much as you can. You saw how it disoriented the opposition until NASA buried itself? You need to apply the same treatment to the hawks in your team.

(v) The rest is all about timing

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Njunge
#47 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 4:35:16 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
[quote=Wakanyugi]

(iii) As for those Mt Kenyan leaders angling to be Rutos running mate, tell them not to bother. It will not happen unless Ruto has been smoking something he should not. The new frontier for 'Nyumba ya Mumbi' is Economic not political. They would be better served to claim the title of post Uhuru Tribal Kingpin, whatever good that will do them.

Applause Applause ApplauseApplause Applause .......Uhuru and Ruto should print the paragraph above in bold,font 48 and in their favourite colours.Copies to be hanged in all the rooms they visit daily and others handed to their psychophants. Herein lies some painful truth!!! Kudos Wakanyugi for being the messenger!!Applause Applause
Wakanyugi
#48 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 12:07:51 PM

Njunge wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
[quote=Wakanyugi]

Applause Applause ApplauseApplause Applause .......Uhuru and Ruto should print the paragraph above in bold,font 48 and in their favourite colours.Copies to be hanged in all the rooms they visit daily and others handed to their psychophants. Herein lies some painful truth!!! Kudos Wakanyugi for being the messenger!!Applause Applause

Thank you.

I also hope Ruto will seize the moment and front a Wanjiku driven constitutional review process. One whose outcome will be to reduce the burden of over governance on Wanjiku and increase resources flow to the grassroots.

As opposed to the 'jobs for the boys' dynasty preservation version that Raila is trying to sell. It should not be hard to make the stark contrast.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Njunge
#49 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:57:01 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
[quote=Njunge][quote=Wakanyugi][quote=Wakanyugi]

I also hope Ruto will seize the moment and front a Wanjiku driven constitutional review process. One whose outcome will be to reduce the burden of over governance on Wanjiku and increase resources flow to the grassroots.

As opposed to the 'jobs for the boys' dynasty preservation version that Raila is trying to sell. It should not be hard to make the stark contrast.

I totally agree. Ruto's salvation lies in hijacking Raila's referendum agenda and making it even better. If say, he goes Aukot's way of reducing the number of Mpigs, he surely will have many Kenyans behind him and if he can't, his statehouse bid is dead on arrival even if he shakes hands with 1 million old men!!
KulaRaha
#50 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:10:40 PM

Ruto is drowning in YANGU. He will not do anything meaningful...
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Njunge
#51 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:22:04 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

Laughing out loudly ....His sycophants seem to believe that Kenyans, moreso those who voted for Uhuru, owe him something. Wrong thinking. The only person who owes him 1 vote (which he is not obligated to pay), is Uhuru.
Angelica _ann
#52 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:24:27 PM

Njunge wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Laughing out loudly ....His sycophants seem to believe that Kenyans, moreso those who voted for Uhuru, owe him something. Wrong thinking. The only person who owes him 1 vote (which he is not obligated to pay), is Uhuru.

plus @Masukuma smile smile smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Wakanyugi
#53 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:52:40 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Njunge wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

plus @Masukuma smile smile smile

A leaders value is not so much in DOING as in INSPIRING.

Ruto will be a symbol of 'can do' - a complete break with dynastic politics of the past and a demonstration to the youth majority that their time has finally come. I cant see anyone else who holds that potential and has the resources, moment and energy to make it come true.

Can you?

Of course he will be a disappointment as we shall invest in him God like expectations, forgetting that is he is flawed human. But that is nature of leadership and followership.

Wakanyugi
#54 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 5:07:39 PM

Bwana Rais,

That was a good move giving Kalonzo a diplomatic role. Ignore what the haters are saying.

Now you need to sort out Mudavadi. I am sure you have noticed his constant criticism of your economic policies etc. He is actually angling for that Special Economic Advisor position. Weta can be safely ignored for now - yeye amejiseti.

Somewhere in all this, I hope Ruto will come around to buying you a bottle of your favorite Jameson brew.

After all he is likely to be the greatest beneficiary of your moves to neuter the opposition, assuming he does not screw up by listening to his Kalejin hawks who are trying to paint you as the enemy.
freiks
#55 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:13:50 AM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Bwana Rais,

That was a good move giving Kalonzo a diplomatic role. Ignore what the haters are saying.

Now you need to sort out Mudavadi. I am sure you have noticed his constant criticism of your economic policies etc. He is actually angling for that Special Economic Advisor position. Weta can be safely ignored for now - yeye amejiseti.

Somewhere in all this, I hope Ruto will come around to buying you a bottle of your favorite Jameson brew.

After all he is likely to be the greatest beneficiary of your moves to neuter the opposition, assuming he does not screw up by listening to his Kalejin hawks who are trying to paint you as the enemy.

I have a feeling that all this handshake had something to do with securing WSR as the next PORK
Life is an endless adventure
Angelica _ann
#56 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:24:23 AM

freiks wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Bwana Rais,

I have a feeling that all this handshake had something to do with securing WSR as the next PORK

Nope without Raila aka Baba, there is no opposition in Kenya.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Euge
#57 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:30:24 AM

Njunge wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Nice to read from you Guka. Earlier this morning I had wondered where you went to. And there have been no flush floods which may have swept away the Bijuti.
Lord, thank you!
washiku
#58 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:59:17 AM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Dear Uhuru

....a suggestion on how you can start with what is clearly your job number one, uniting this nation.

1. Bring Raila, Kalonzo and Mudavadi back into government.

2. You will be sorely tempted to settle scores with the Supreme Court. Give it up. They were doing their job. They are not perfect but then neither are you.

3. Finally we need to do something about our winner take all constitution.

Dear Mr President,

So far so good.....

Social engineering is a messy process and you will never be given credit for it, but you don't really care for that do you? Still you have some serious work and tidying up to do before this can become your legacy:

(i) Call a kitchen cabinet meeting and speak with Ruto. Tell him the Constitution change will happen (one way or the other) but he needs to own the process, not oppose it, if he does not wish to become its casualty. So far all the stars are aligned in his favor, but politics is a fickle mistress.

(ii) You need to find Kalonzo and Mudavadi a face saving exit from their failed political adventure, same as you did for Baba. Some thoughts:
- Put Mudavadi in that Economic Advisory Council you have been thinking about
- As for Kalonzo, peace is about to break out between Eritrea and Ethiopia and all the signs are that new dispensations are afoot in Somalia and South Sudan. A new peace envoy for the horn?

(iv) Meanwhile, keep channeling that Kibakiesque 'silent treatment' as much as you can. You saw how it disoriented the opposition until NASA buried itself? You need to apply the same treatment to the hawks in your team.

(v) The rest is all about timing

Applause Applause Applause Applause
Wakanyugi
#59 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:18:33 PM

freiks wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Bwana Rais,

I am beginning to think so too. The Uhuruto duo seem to be playing the long game. They have even revived the ICC bogeyman.

And they have found everyone's price - which is mostly moola and ego.

If Rao finally appends these plans, as he did in Kanu, he will deserve to be President, in my opinion.

tycho
#60 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:50:32 PM

The handshake wasn't an intrinsically driven domestic affair.

If this is true, then, what we're seeing could be about building confidence for something no one exactly knows how all will end.

For example, how can a referendum address 'electoral reforms'? I take it that we may have a new proposed constitution? Especially if there are many other issues to be changed.

I suspect that there are many things that are being brushed under the carpet only to resurface later in a crisis, then we start again these political maneuvers that are now perhaps too commonplace.