wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Jobless in Kenya? Perhaps you need to rethink your life
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 8:03:39 AM

I could watch videos like these for hours

The solution to joblessness is innovative self employment IMHO. I define that as using your knowledge (or work ethic) to do something UNIQUE (not something that everybody is doing eg growing maize and beans!) that adds value to products or makes people's lives easier. For example if you have a degree in agribusiness (or any degree for that matter) and are busy sitting outside the Tom Mboya statue watching the big screen and waiting for Ministry of Agriculture etc to give you a call about your CV, yet your family (or you yourself) has an unused piece of land whether near town or in the village, you are a big fool.

If I was you I would run with speed towards that land, start making it productive and eventually go higher up the value chain pole pole. For example instead of selling raw honey from your beehives, buy some plastic containers, package your honey and brand it as "yabba dabba doo honey" or whatever ....you can even make your village famous by using the village name as the brand and start selling it pole pole through ordinary channels and social media. You might be surprised how well you can do if you put your mind to something and do the work. The more you do it and perfect your craft the better you become and success is not far off. Lakini ukizubaa crying for non existent jobs in Nairobi for years and wailing daily about the economy, utamark time in the same spot and shauri yako!!

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!

Wororo
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:29:37 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
I could watch videos like these for hours

The solution to joblessness is innovative self employment IMHO. I define that as using your knowledge (or work ethic) to do something UNIQUE (not something that everybody is doing eg growing maize and beans!) that adds value to products or makes people's lives easier. For example if you have a degree in agribusiness (or any degree for that matter) and are busy sitting outside the Tom Mboya statue watching the big screen and waiting for Ministry of Agriculture etc to give you a call about your CV, yet your family (or you yourself) has an unused piece of land whether near town or in the village, you are a big fool.

If I was you I would run with speed towards that land, start making it productive and eventually go higher up the value chain pole pole. For example instead of selling raw honey from your beehives, buy some plastic containers, package your honey and brand it as "yabba dabba doo honey" or whatever ....you can even make your village famous by using the village name as the brand and start selling it pole pole through ordinary channels and social media. You might be surprised how well you can do if you put your mind to something and do the work. The more you do it and perfect your craft the better you become and success is not far off. Lakini ukizubaa crying for non existent jobs in Nairobi for years and wailing daily about the economy, utamark time in the same spot and shauri yako!!

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!

@mugundaman, sio maoni yako tu, it's the naked truth esp:
You might be surprised how well you can do if you put your mind to something and do the work. The more you do it and perfect your craft the better you become and success is not far off. Lakini ukizubaa crying for non existent jobs in Nairobi for years and wailing daily about the economy, utamark time in the same spot and shauri yako!!
Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 8:08:44 AM

Wororo wrote:

@mugundaman, sio maoni yako tu, it's the naked truth esp:
You might be surprised how well you can do if you put your mind to something and do the work. The more you do it and perfect your craft the better you become and success is not far off. Lakini ukizubaa crying for non existent jobs in Nairobi for years and wailing daily about the economy, utamark time in the same spot and shauri yako!!
Ni hayo maoni yangu tu!

@ Wororo, Amen!
I blame the education system. It has conditioned many people to be jobseekers rather than job creators. Kenya is the land of opportunity for those who work hard and use their brain positively. In fact there is so much opportunity in this country that people from all over the world including the Chinese are flooding in to take advantage of it while others complain there is nothing in this country for them! I like what the African Development Bank head Akinwumi Adesina said about Africa's future. He said Africa has the largest amount of arable land in the world, much of it untapped and the next wealthy entrepreneurs in Africa will be millions and millions of agripreneurs. This is the low hanging fruit for the average jobless youth. Why they do not take advantage of it is a big mystery.
snifadog
#4 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 10:57:18 AM

@mugundaman are the youth owners of large arable lands?
MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 11:31:26 AM

snifadog wrote:
@mugundaman are the youth owners of large arable lands?

@Snifadog,
but who says one needs "large arable lands" to farm?Laughing out loudly

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=36737
snifadog
#6 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:31:15 PM

small scale agric is hardly profitable and or worthwhile, you are bordering on subsistence. what with this unstable govt policy and massive looting similar to the maize scandal, the youth are left to invent ways to survive. the govt is failing the masses much as kenyans are enterprising
MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:45:44 AM

snifadog wrote:
small scale agric is hardly profitable and or worthwhile, you are bordering on subsistence. what with this unstable govt policy and massive looting similar to the maize scandal, the youth are left to invent ways to survive. the govt is failing the masses much as kenyans are enterprising

@Snifadog,
Did you read through the thread I posted above? That money is hardly "small change" my friend! A lot of office workers with "good jobs" do not make that kind of money!

This is exactly the mentality I am talking about. The "someone has to create a job for me" mentality and the "government must buy my produce from me" mentality. Are any of the individuals in any of the posts I have put above either waiting for the government to create jobs for them or waiting for the government to buy their produce from them?

Look at this discussion below. Listen to the youth leader in the white shirt who says "there are many young people, fresh graduates looking for jobs in the rural areas but there are no jobs!" Laughing out loudly These are the 55% who are unemployed and until they change their mentality, they will be waiting forever for nonexistent jobs! Shauri yao!

snifadog
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:00:56 PM

@mugundaman, the argument you make is valid but it's a secondary issue to the bigger discussion, the wazee own capital and other means of production and are continuing to loot the economy on our watch. youth entrepreneurship and innovation can not and will not solve the elephant in the room. the country should be focussing on the big issue here which is large scale gov't corruption & mismanagement that is slowly crippling the private sector instead of trying to conjure stop gap means of survival
Mukiri
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:52:54 AM

snifadog wrote:
small scale agric is hardly profitable and or worthwhile, you are bordering on subsistence. what with this unstable govt policy and massive looting similar to the maize scandal, the youth are left to invent ways to survive. the govt is failing the masses much as Kenyans are enterprising

Well put.

It is good to dream, within measure. Farming is no bed of roses. Even harder for small scale farmers to break-even, the odds are greatly against them.

That said, nothing ventured nothing gained. If there is land, work it. Kenyans have this unfortunate habit of acquiring land, for nothing more than bragging rights. Being a mugunda man. Low self esteem, if you ask me. It ties down capital, that would have been used to make one money... keep them busy, and away from Wazua for a few minutes

Proverbs 19:21
MugundaMan
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:55:46 PM

Mukiri wrote:
snifadog wrote:
small scale agric is hardly profitable and or worthwhile, you are bordering on subsistence. what with this unstable govt policy and massive looting similar to the maize scandal, the youth are left to invent ways to survive. the govt is failing the masses much as Kenyans are enterprising

Well put.

It is good to dream, within measure. Farming is no bed of roses. Even harder for small scale farmers to break-even, the odds are greatly against them.

That said, nothing ventured nothing gained. If there is land, work it. Kenyans have this unfortunate habit of acquiring land, for nothing more than bragging rights. Being a mugunda man. Low self esteem, if you ask me. It ties down capital, that would have been used to make one money... keep them busy, and away from Wazua for a few minutes

The 67 year old teenage Gossip Girl with the lowest self esteem on Wazoo has reemerged Laughing out loudly Ulikuwa umepotea wapi? Karibu back, dada!
Chaka
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:35:24 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
snifadog wrote:

Well put.

The 67 year old teenage Gossip Girl with the lowest self esteem on Wazoo has reemerged Laughing out loudly Ulikuwa umepotea wapi? Karibu back, dada!

Sad Sad ..@Mukiri is a plug in Wazoo lingua..
MugundaMan
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:26:36 PM

Chaka wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
snifadog wrote:

Well put.

Sad Sad ..@Mukiri is a plug in Wazoo lingua..

I know Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly