wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages<1234>»
100% solar powered maisonette possible?
MugundaMan
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:54:06 AM

bird_man wrote:

How much would you pay KPLC per month?If its say 5k,it would take you 18yrs to pay KPLC 1.1M.
Is solar really cheap in this case?

If you have a ranch in the middle of NowhereVille 1.1 metre is cheap compared to the price you pay KPLC to vuta their lines there!
kayhara
#22 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 7:04:47 PM

Quote:
Too many customers are using solar and buying less and less from the power company this leads to the power company having to overcharge the few remaining customers to stay afloat which then leads those to run away too, solar is bad bad for central generated power

I wish this was kenya.

To Each His Own
Thitifini
#23 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:30:00 AM

This guy gives appxt $10k for a home with monthly usage of 375kwh. Not far off....

I'd say it makes a lot of sence for faroffVille if kplc charge >100k for connecting and chumms are available.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
Thitifini
#24 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:34:21 AM

Thitifini wrote:
This guy gives appxt $10k for a home with monthly usage of 375kwh. Not far off....

I'd say it makes a lot of sence for faroffVille if kplc charge >100k for connecting and chumms are available.

Link.

Was to do calculations KE scenario (which is interestingly cheaper compared to other countries) uzembe ikipungua. Seriously considering as a long term investment capable of saving me like 7-10k monthly....

Thitifini
#25 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:48:19 AM

Thitifini wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

Link.

Was to do calculations KE scenario (which is interestingly cheaper compared to other countries) uzembe ikipungua. Seriously considering as a long term investment capable of saving me like 7-10k monthly....

The required roofing space according to this link would be 5.1m x 10m if dimensions of a 250w panel is 1650x995mm....

Mukiri
#26 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 3:52:23 AM

Thitifini wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

Link.

I'd be interested to have a look at said calculation. More so if the necessary equipment can bought in phases, increasing from basic lighting to farming. Tutapunguza aje uzembe?

Proverbs 19:21
Mike Ock
#27 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 1:56:43 PM

Solar in countries with grid exchange programs is a no brainer. In countries that need you to store the power for yourself in batteries it becomes tricky
shadowinvestor
#28 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 2:46:29 PM

Chaka
#29 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 3:49:57 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:
https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

Habari ndio hio

Interesting..though I am wondering whether insulation is required below the tiles since glass is good conductor of heat?
Thitifini
#30 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 5:55:45 PM

Hey Republik, some updates;

A: Phase 1:
I've installed 5 solar lights around the house (externa flood light). They each come independent with each having it's panel. Installation straightforward, did all lights in under 2hrs between 4-6pm.

I've noted that the 5 lights (rated "50W" by manufacturer) are able to light up the whole compound and enable one to do daily activities at night - i.e. one is able to wash, have family dinner nje, estate party, irrigate the compound etc at night in full lighting conditions. Lighting illuminates around 8mtrs from wall below each light. The 5 light up the entire compound. They are running whole cycle i.e. from sunset to sunrise with minimal dimming from around 4am to sunrise.

Cost for the 5 was 7,500x5=37,500. A neighbour with a 100W AC security light tells me bill went up by 1k once he installed it. So working with a crude ROI of about 3yrs. Was told that the solar battery in the lamps can go 5yrs, and replacement is ksh 1,500 per battery. Pannels go post 30yrs (experience with one done shaggz 1998, still working).

B: Proposed phase II:
I want to install a full solar system to light up the fence concrete columns (15 lights total just for experiment and beauty), compound CCTV plus an automated gate. This one will have an converter to switch from DC to AC so they can cover the extended wiring (conversion loss 15-30%; from books). Appxt cost of solar with 200AH battery 50k. Checking if it's possible to have KPLC as back up in cloudy days for this system.

C.
Phase III: If these make sense, will power a bush cabin in Maasai land with fridge, freezer and all other appliances with solar before deciding at switching from KPLC full time at home.

Crude calculations for house use still hovering around 1-1.5M but have not got time to engage expeets to make these calculations concrete.

Will keep updating.

mkenyan
#31 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 6:12:14 PM

Thitifini wrote:

I've installed 5 solar lights around the house (externa flood light). They each come independent with each having it's panel. Installation straightforward, did all lights in under 2hrs between 4-6pm.

I've noted that the 5 lights (rated "50W" by manufacturer) are able to light up the whole compound and enable one to do daily activities at night - i.e. one is able to wash, have family dinner nje, estate party, irrigate the compound etc at night in full lighting conditions. Lighting illuminates around 8mtrs from wall below each light. The 5 light up the entire compound. They are running whole cycle i.e. from sunset to sunrise with minimal dimming from around 4am to sunrise.

Cost for the 5 was 7,500x5=37,500. A neighbour with a 100W AC security light tells me bill went up by 1k once he installed it. So working with a crude ROI of about 3yrs. Was told that the solar battery in the lamps can go 5yrs, and replacement is ksh 1,500 per battery. Pannels go post 30yrs (experience with one done shaggz 1998, still working).

I want to install a full solar system to light up the fence concrete columns (15 lights total just for experiment and beauty), compound CCTV plus an automated gate. This one will have an converter to switch from DC to AC so they can cover the extended wiring (conversion loss 15-30%; from books). Appxt cost of solar with 200AH battery 50k. Checking if it's possible to have KPLC as back up in cloudy days for this system.

C.
Phase III: If these make sense, will power a bush cabin in Maasai land with fridge, freezer and all other appliances with solar before deciding at switching from KPLC full time at home.

Crude calculations for house use still hovering around 1-1.5M but have not got time to engage expeets to make these calculations concrete.

Will keep updating.

would you mind sharing info in this bush cabin? am currently working on putting up one somewhere in maasai land as well. would love to compare ideas.
Ryko
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:43:28 AM

Kindly share the feedback for phase II, particularly interested in this bit column light/ automatic sliding gate/ garden lights plus underground water tank pump. I assume you are using LED lights i doubt this consumes any solar compared to traditional lighting.

Someone told me 2 panels will be enough for all above uses assuming LED lights so i am wondering why 1M +
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
Thitifini
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:43:53 PM

Ryko wrote:
Kindly share the feedback for phase II, particularly interested in this bit column light/ automatic sliding gate/ garden lights plus underground water tank pump. I assume you are using LED lights i doubt this consumes any solar compared to traditional lighting.

Someone told me 2 panels will be enough for all above uses assuming LED lights so i am wondering why 1M +

Will do once I get all the required wattage so I can get a quote from the solar guys.

The 1M+ is for running a home in Nbi paying a bill of about 9k per month (see previous discussion)

Thitifini
#34 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:49:04 PM

mkenyan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

C.

Will keep updating.

would you mind sharing info in this bush cabin? am currently working on putting up one somewhere in maasai land as well. would love to compare ideas.

You ahead of me on this one. Haven't started yet but general place is not exactly masai lands....

Abundant clay soil, so planning a sinple walling with red brics prepared onsite.

Roofing with those clear mabatis then thatching to reduce daylight heat. Brick floor. 2-3 rooms (sitting plus store for household furniture and tents).

Clear some area and prepare for tents. Idea is family camping once in a while as we take stock of goats as well as taste them....

Angelica _ann
#35 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:56:43 PM

Cost that comes to 37.5k for the 5 ... are you able to give contact where you bought them from, please. If they have Homabay/Migori/Kisii branch would be great.

In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Thitifini
#36 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 11:15:38 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Cost that comes to 37.5k for the 5 ... are you able to give contact where you bought them from, please. If they have Homabay/Migori/Kisii branch would be great.

Eastern bypass, just next to Engen petrol station. Near Membley estate.

Didn't ask if they have offices outside nairobi area.

Angelica _ann
#37 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 11:21:32 AM

Thitifini wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Eastern bypass, just next to Engen petrol station. Near Membley estate.

Didn't ask if they have offices outside nairobi area.

Asante ... will visit next time when around.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
chiaroscuro
#38 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:23:24 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
I once did some calculations for a 310SQM house fully on solar. Average monthly use 300-400KWh. Costa came to appx 800-1.2m for full off-grid (guided by Mr. Google). Repayment period 13-15yrs.

Will try to recalculate again to post here for the gurus to critique.

Now, on the borehole, planning a 150m and a friend in that biz tells me that solar pumps don't work those depths in Nbi and environs due to I don't know what (sure enoung I've never seen a solar powerwd borehole except in lower&north eastern). Can't back that up with facts, you know how engineers talk "I tell you it will not work. Lakini nitakuwekea uki-insistSad"

That is quite a bit of usage bro, Kwani that house has a secret factory in the garage? I would however gladly invest that amount on a 100% off the grid solar system, especially if the land is in the middle of nowhere in the dustbowl. It pays for itself many times over in terms of convenience and returns from irrigation.

300kWh - 400kWh is my typical monthly consumption in 3BR apartment - 6 people in the household....kila mtu anakunyua 50kWh....
dunkang
#39 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:19:04 PM

chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
I once did some calculations for a 310SQM house fully on solar. Average monthly use 300-400KWh. Costa came to appx 800-1.2m for full off-grid (guided by Mr. Google). Repayment period 13-15yrs.

Now, on the borehole, planning a 150m and a friend in that biz tells me that solar pumps don't work those depths in Nbi and environs due to I don't know what (sure enoung I've never seen a solar powerwd borehole except in lower&north eastern). Can't back that up with facts, you know how engineers talk "I tell you it will not work. Lakini nitakuwekea uki-insistSad"

That is quite a bit of usage bro, Kwani that house has a secret factory in the garage? I would however gladly invest that amount on a 100% off the grid solar system, especially if the land is in the middle of nowhere in the dustbowl. It pays for itself many times over in terms of convenience and returns from irrigation.

300kWh - 400kWh is my typical monthly consumption in 3BR apartment - 6 people in the household....kila mtu anakunyua 50kWh....

Jesus Christ.
300 units per month? Maybe you have a 200m deep borehole pumping 5l/s.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

jamplu
#40 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:03:31 PM

chiaroscuro wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

That's very high consumption do you have commercial appliances or what?