wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Short rains
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Monday, October 08, 2018 8:27:01 PM

At last.

By the way we need an agriculture section added here separate from the property section IMHO.

Whenever rain falls we thank God my brodas and sistas. Nothing sounds better than the whooshing sound of rain water from the gutters going down nywee into the water tanks. And the greening of live fences, meadows and lawns on the mugundas. But the problem is those pesky flying ants that emerge as soon as the rains start. And the mud if any of your mugundas has the dreaded "black cotton soil!" It can make you stay indoors for a couple of days just to avoid having your shoes carry it into the car or house, wherein removing it will be a real nightmare.

This is when those bata gumboots come in handy. I used to laugh at my uncles and relatives who would wear them to the shamba when I was younger. I used to think those wazees are crazy and look awkward with their trousers tucked into their mud covered boots. Now I'm the mzee wearing them when it rains. Funny how time brings you full circle.

If you have a jiko on the second floor balcony, that is the best time to do some roasting of maize as you enjoy the cool breeze that the hush of rain pattering on the ground below brings. Simplicity at its best. Light years away from the craziness of the rat race in most parts of the planet.

This indeed is one reason a lot of beberus flee the "developed" West to get a taste of Africa. The easy pace of life, the friendly faces, the delicious food not grown in a factory farm and injected with a gazillion hormones and preservatives. Sounds of birds chirping musically nearby, and not the sound of spoilt kids on drugs running around aimlessly or semi trucks roaring past some suburban subdivision. Easy living in Africa. Many stay here and never go back.

And if you have planted well, you are content as you let nature do its work. The one thing that never gets old for me is the funny neighbours who always come around with strange tales and requests. All of them "experts" in their own minds regarding anything you are attempting to do. The other day I was ripping out some chunks of that grass that grows in clusters, gets very tall and is unsightly. Was replacing them slowly with more appealing chunks of carpet grass.

In the middle of the job I felt two eyes drilling into me from across the chain link fence like lasers. A curious old kamama stood there in a red sweater, pink skirt and mkorino white headscarf, with her hands on her hips. "Usitoe hizo, hizo ndizo zinashikilia udongo," she said, without prompting. "Ukizitoa udongo yako yote itapotea!" she added, with an air of finality, not waiting for any response from me, before gently walking off down the hill never to be seen again.

We thank God for the rains! I pray they continue. Water makes all life tick. And soon the mysteries of nature emerge from the ground in their full glory, teeming with fruit and tasty leaf and grain in abundance in beautiful Africa.

muandiwambeu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 5:22:29 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
At last.

By the way we need an agriculture section added here separate from the property section IMHO.

Whenever rain falls we thank God my brodas and sistas. Nothing sounds better than the whooshing sound of rain water from the gutters going down nywee into the water tanks. And the greening of live fences, meadows and lawns on the mugundas. But the problem is those pesky flying ants that emerge as soon as the rains start. And the mud if any of your mugundas has the dreaded "black cotton soil!" It can make you stay indoors for a couple of days just to avoid having your shoes carry it into the car or house, wherein removing it will be a real nightmare.

This is when those bata gumboots come in handy. I used to laugh at my uncles and relatives who would wear them to the shamba when I was younger. I used to think those wazees are crazy and look awkward with their trousers tucked into their mud covered boots. Now I'm the mzee wearing them when it rains. Funny how time brings you full circle.

If you have a jiko on the second floor balcony, that is the best time to do some roasting of maize as you enjoy the cool breeze that the hush of rain pattering on the ground below brings. Simplicity at its best. Light years away from the craziness of the rat race in most parts of the planet.

This indeed is one reason a lot of beberus flee the "developed" West to get a taste of Africa. The easy pace of life, the friendly faces, the delicious food not grown in a factory farm and injected with a gazillion hormones and preservatives. Sounds of birds chirping musically nearby, and not the sound of spoilt kids on drugs running around aimlessly or semi trucks roaring past some suburban subdivision. Easy living in Africa. Many stay here and never go back.

And if you have planted well, you are content as you let nature do its work. The one thing that never gets old for me is the funny neighbours who always come around with strange tales and requests. All of them "experts" in their own minds regarding anything you are attempting to do. The other day I was ripping out some chunks of that grass that grows in clusters, gets very tall and is unsightly. Was replacing them slowly with more appealing chunks of carpet grass.

In the middle of the job I felt two eyes drilling into me from across the chain link fence like lasers. A curious old kamama stood there in a red sweater, pink skirt and mkorino white headscarf, with her hands on her hips. "Usitoe hizo, hizo ndizo zinashikilia udongo," she said, without prompting. "Ukizitoa udongo yako yote itapotea!" she added, with an air of finality, not waiting for any response from me, before gently walking off down the hill never to be seen again.

We thank God for the rains! I pray they continue. Water makes all life tick. And soon the mysteries of nature emerge from the ground in their full glory, teeming with fruit and tasty leaf and grain in abundance in beautiful Africa.

At peace with mother Africa, you must have sweltered your back well in your hey days. Keep living and enjoying.
Anyway, and by addendum. My only worry is patriotism, nationality and drive to live as such. Long after I am gone, 2120, fast forward who will be your neighbour. Will the angel born of kamama, let yours truly mugundagirl go find your like in Earth and the kamamane too agree to go find their weaker vulnerable souls on Earth and keep to that premise without yearning to siphon some of your goodies while you are away.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 6:06:12 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:

At peace with mother Africa, you must have sweltered your back well in your hey days. Keep living and enjoying.
Anyway, and by addendum. My only worry is patriotism, nationality and drive to live as such. Long after I am gone, 2120, fast forward who will be your neighbour. Will the angel born of kamama, let yours truly mugundagirl go find your like in Earth and the kamamane too agree to go find their weaker vulnerable souls on Earth and keep to that premise without yearning to siphon some of your goodies while you are away.

At the pace Kenya is developing, the next generation will be very fine. Even politically Kenya is making huge leaps and strides with each passing regime, despite the flaws of each (there is no perfect regime on earth)

Jomo kept us together and helped Kenyans go from being slaves in their own country to having a stake. This was a huge achievement for that era, when Britannia gave us grudging independence and still thought they could keep us a colony for all intents and purposes but with a "native" regime in power. Compare Kenya to S Africa. 24 years after independence they are still largely slaves in their own kaundree. He was also a unifying figure. And he put the country on a firm development path forward

Moi gave us torture chambers but also peace for the 24 years he sat on our collective heads as Kenyans. The only other major legacy he gave us was education. Oh asante nyayo for education! A lot of people say the man with the rungu did zero but I give him credit, he educated a generation that is now the sprawling and teaming middle class that is powering Kenya Inc to the next level.

Kibaki brought the Chinese into the picture, re-awakened the near dead Kenyan economy and built the solid base upon which Kenya has now boomed to the skies. Jameni without Kibaki's infrastructure push, economic brilliance and visionary thinking (Vison 2030) that transcends all future regimes, where would we be?

Uhuru, standing on the shoulders of giants, has now taken and continues to take us to the next level. Jamani in the darkest days of Moi when Kenyans were leaving Kenya in droves, nobody ever imagined that a mere decade and a half later, Kenya's economy would be a middle income economy building ultra modern railways, with electricity to every village and every social and economic problem being rapidly resolved!

Kenyans abroad are now returning in droves just to not be left out of the red hot developments happening all over the place! In fact wakizubaa sana and stay abroad, they will completely miss the boat!

If we continue stylo hiyo hiyo my friends by 2030 I shudder to think how far we will have gone. These days there is no street in Nairobi and suburbs that does not have some sort of building or construction activity going on. Kenya is like one huge construction site which tells us Vision 2030 is becoming a reality before our very eyes. This is how China Inc began in 1978. Soon the old joke became that the national bird of China was the crane..construction crane that is. Kenya is already at that initial stage.

If only Kenyans were patriotic enough to see this transformative agenda happening before their very eyes and stopped the unnecessary complaints and worked harder to not be left behind, we would go even further.

So mugundagirl and the angel born of kamama and their little friends in video below are in very good hands with a very bright future ahead of them.

Yet they have such a beautiful country! It rained nywee again today. I am really enjoying this weather jameni. Sometimes I just want to sit on the balcony and observe the plants getting watered for hours and hours as I sip my coffee and prate on Wazoo. It's the simple things. Africa is where my heart is and I am at complete peace enjoying my country thoroughly. God bless Kenya!

hardwood
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 6:34:02 PM

@mugundaman you can really write. Never seen anyone write so well and so deeply (passionately?) regarding a subject like the rain. Kudos. You are a breath of fresh air, a rare gem in an online world dominated by one liners and 'LOL-ers'.
MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 6:45:33 PM

hardwood wrote:
@mugundaman you can really write. Never seen anyone write so well and so deeply (passionately?) regarding a subject like the rain. Kudos. You are a breath of fresh air, a rare gem in an online world dominated by one liners and 'LOL-ers'.

Thanks my broda. Tunajaribu tu.
There is so much positive things to write about our beloved country. I wish the newspapers took the lead instead of feeding us negative storos kila siku that are soon forgotten. Until the next negative storo hits us again!
tinker
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:38:37 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
hardwood wrote:

There is so much positive things to write about our beloved country. I wish the newspapers took the lead instead of feeding us negative storos kila siku that are soon forgotten. Until the next negative storo hits us again!

Mugundaman is the new Marty,the guy of "The power of financial education" thread who stopped sharing in 2013.
or could he be Marty reincarnated.

Hats off Mugundaman
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 8:27:13 AM

tinker wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Mugundaman is the new Marty,the guy of "The power of financial education" thread who stopped sharing in 2013.
or could he be Marty reincarnated.

Hats off Mugundaman

Thanks bratha. I have only one handle though. My history on Wazoo; was a lurker for well over 10 years but never joined. Joined early this year and have been here since. I like Wazoo because unlike other popular Kenya forums, it is not flooded with political porojo and little else. It gives lots of practical and useful advice and info that one can implement and see benefits from. I have learned so much hapa in the past year and I am thankful to all who continue to contribute to this esteemed forum! Shalom.
MugundaMan
#8 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 8:40:05 AM

One thing I love about being in dustbowl in the outskirts of Enkare Nyirobi is that when the rains kick in, it starts to become very green. I cannot get enough of taking long walks each morning around the neighbourhood and seeing all the greenery and maendeleos popping up everywhere. Bean shoots sprouting from the ground, Kei Apple fences teeming with very tasty fruit that is irresistible to pluck and sample, quaint new houses with all the modern amenities being built kila pahali. I was surprised to hear an old kamama of about 85 years old is installing a jacuzzi in her new sprawling maisonette nearby from me! The transformation is happening before our very eyes. As Nyirobi expands, it is inevitable that these will be the prime suburbs that eventually will merge with the city core. I just hope they remain green with nice maisonettes and bungalows rather than unsightly concrete jungles with no greenery. Stress yote disappears once you are on these outer burbs watching the eucalyptus trees sway and the cars on the main road in the distance silently snake their way across the landscape. This is God's country, my friends. He has blessed it in more ways than we can even imagine.