wazua Thu, Apr 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

MV Nyerere tragedy - L. Victoria
hardwood
#1 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 9:45:55 AM

At least 44 confirmed dead. Death toll could be higher. About 400 were on board. Sad.

kayhara
#2 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 10:46:18 AM

wah 400,by the look of thing safety is never a priority in most of our African countries, I can only see one floater, no life boat in sight, 400 hundred is too many souls to lose at a go, condolences to our brothers
To Each His Own
murchr
#3 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 1:45:52 PM

I hope Uhuru will not spend our taxes here unless there are Kenyans
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#4 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 2:14:01 PM

murchr wrote:

What a selfish thought. When your brother or jirani is in trouble you have to help him out. Or you want TZdians to wait for Israelis for help.
kawi254
#5 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 3:14:04 PM

hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:

What a selfish thought. When your brother or jirani is in trouble you have to help him out. Or you want TZdians to wait for Israelis for help.

If i was KENYAtta i would have mobilised the Navy divers in Lake Victoria within first 2 Hrs and fly them to Mwanza, send aid, supplies, everything ....and just like that undo alot of stereotypes Tanzanians view Kenya with.

soft diplomacy
murchr
#6 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 4:10:20 PM

kawi254 wrote:
hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:

If i was KENYAtta i would have mobilised the Navy divers in Lake Victoria within first 2 Hrs and fly them to Mwanza, send aid, supplies, everything ....and just like that undo alot of stereotypes Tanzanians view Kenya with.

soft diplomacy

What did we get in return when we mobilized resources to assist poor Tanzanians when they were hit by the earthquake in 2016?

Quote:
Kenya's High Commissioner to Tanzania, Mr Chirau Ali Mwakwere, yesterday handed over 4,000 iron sheets, 400 blankets and 100 mattresses as donation to Tanzania following the September 10 earthquake.

The Minister of State in the Prime Minister's Office, Policy, Parliamentary Affairs, Labor, Employment, Youth and the Disabled, Jenester Mhagama, received the donation worth Sh115 million.

That money should have gone to the housing scheme
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
radiomast
#7 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 5:49:17 PM

kawi254 wrote:
hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:

soft diplomacy

Kenyans alweays amuse and amaze me with our lack of self awareness. You seem to have forgotten how incompetent and corrupt KDF is. They could not even save students at Garissan Univ or save people at west gate. IN somalia they were busy engaging in illicit charcoal trade while El Adde camp was poorly secured and eventually over-run. Na sasa mnapayuka eti mobilize supplies Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Those so called supplies will be stolen by navy officials before they reach Mwanza to help those Wasukuma halisi. Remember how Kipchoge Keino and his henchmen stole Nike uniforms and equipment that was meant for Olympic athletes?

Kuzidisha, the gava is drowning in debt in part due to decades of looting by top officials. They can't even equip hospitals properly and now you want supplies to be taken to TZ.

Those Tanzanian stereotypes about Kenyans being greedy, corrupt and uber-tribal are true. I am not saying Tanzanians are perfect either. But one good act won't change their perspective after 55 years of lousy behaviour.
murchr
#8 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 6:43:04 PM

126 dead....
hardwood
#9 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 9:01:04 PM

Why such a high number of casualties when the ferry capsized only 50m from the shore? I thought those living on lakeside and islands know how to swim? Also seems there were no life jackets which makes me wonder what it would take to buy life jackets and put them on the ferry.
Thitifini
#10 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 10:21:06 PM

hardwood wrote:
Why such a high number of casualties when the ferry capsized only 50m from the shore? I thought those living on lakeside and islands know how to swim? Also seems there were no life jackets which makes me wonder what it would take to buy life jackets and put them on the ferry.

I have a friend who witnessed the Mtongwe disaster. This happened 40m from shore, with quite a high number on both sides waiting to board, and we lost close to 300 out of 400....

He told me even the best swimmers will die in such a scenario. Reason, in panic mode all will try to hang on to anything floating, plus the chaotic kicking and pulling.

Said even the best swimmers avoided the chaotic area, only saving those on the far ends.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
AlphDoti
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:56:33 AM

Thitifini wrote:
hardwood wrote:

I have a friend who witnessed the Mtongwe disaster. This happened 40m from shore, with quite a high number on both sides waiting to board, and we lost close to 300 out of 400....

He told me even the best swimmers will die in such a scenario. Reason, in panic mode all will try to hang on to anything floating, plus the chaotic kicking and pulling.

Said even the best swimmers avoided the chaotic area, only saving those on the far ends.

I would imagine that. So sad a scenario. Condolences to the families and friends. May allah save us from such disaster, amen!
obiero
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:06:08 AM

murchr wrote:
126 dead....

The problem with life is that you don't know when it will end. One minute I could be typing here, the next minute, the building gets blown up and this becomes my last chat.. God forbid. RIP to the MV Nyerere departed souls

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Mtu Biz
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:09:40 AM

obiero wrote:
murchr wrote:
126 dead....

The problem with life is that you don't know when it will end. One minute I could be typing here, the next minute, the building gets blown up and this becomes my last chat.. God forbid. RIP to the MV Nyerere departed souls

Knowing the time of your death is a bigger problem in my view.
Sola Scriptura

obiero
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:48:24 AM

Mtu Biz wrote:
obiero wrote:
murchr wrote:
126 dead....

Knowing the time of your death is a bigger problem in my view.

I believe that is the same thing I wrote.. When is an unknown, it could even be today, tomorrow.. You are just helpless, but God is all seeing, all knowing. That's why spiritual fitness is paramount, so when its time to go, you sail away in glory and splendour

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
hardwood
#15 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 1:12:29 PM

Death toll so far - 224.
radiomast
#16 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:04:36 PM

Apparently the driver was distracted throughout the trip and made a disastrous change of direction when he realized he was off course.

Dereva kombo ungama zako zimekwisha
(Fundi Konde circa 1960s)