wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is it possible to be rich in Kenya without stealing?
dheemonk
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 9:25:37 PM

Folks, new member here. Apologies if this question has been asked before. In which case, I would appreciate if someone would ping me.
Now, I grew up without money, completely. Over the years, however, I have dedicated my life to learning the art of getting it. I read western books about the art and seems, what they teach works in a different environment from that of Kenya in particular and Africa in general. They assume a fair environment and free economy with unlimited opportunity. You know, America. We can agree that is not Kenya. So can someone really get wealthy in Kenya without being a corrupt businessman cum politician?

Also, my question may be arising from the limited knowledge I have. Enlighten me.
sparkly
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 11:15:42 PM

dheemonk wrote:
Folks, new member here. Apologies if this question has been asked before. In which case, I would appreciate if someone would ping me.
Now, I grew up without money, completely. Over the years, however, I have dedicated my life to learning the art of getting it. I read western books about the art and seems, what they teach works in a different environment from that of Kenya in particular and Africa in general. They assume a fair environment and free economy with unlimited opportunity. You know, America. We can agree that is not Kenya. So can someone really get wealthy in Kenya without being a corrupt businessman cum politician?

Also, my question may be arising from the limited knowledge I have. Enlighten me.

Stolen money is loud. Clean money is quiet.
Life is short. Live passionately.
KulaRaha
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 7:36:07 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to be rich in Kenya without stealing

NO.

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
newfarer
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 7:38:53 AM

Yes.but it comes too slowly the patience of most
punda amecheka
mulla
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 7:55:00 AM

dheemonk wrote:

It is possible to be rich, assuming being rich in Kenya is having a net worth of ksh100m and above, but being wealthy is another beast altogether, in Kenya being wealthy at ksh1bn and above.
I think compared to the West attaining wealth in Kenya is difficult for these reasons.
1)We are dealt with a majority of the population of low purchase power. Even in Nairobi,the economic hub of kenya, with a population of 4.5m, only about 1m is considered middle class and above, the rest are poor.
2)Obstacles to doing genuine business with low priced poor quality counterfeits of which the majority of the population are enticed to buy.In this regard the government has let us down over the years by allowing this practice to continue, killing manufacturing and high cost of manufacturing.
3)To be wealthy in Kenya you need to cater for the low class and selling nationally, like Milk(e.g Uhuru) or Pens(e.g Kirubi)or Cooking Oil(e.g Vimal) where they make ksh1-10 gross profit per product but selling in millions of products per day,including export.
4)Only a small population is taxed, many Micro and SMEs escape paying their taxes, creating an unequal playing field.
5)High cost of living and 'double' paying for services, for which the government is supposed to provide,eg, "good" quality education, health,security etc whereas in the west its provided for from their taxes. That leaves more income for saving and investment in the west.
5)All the other perceived wealthy in Kenya,example, mashamba who claims he hustled his way to the top selling chicken and no other enterprises, are thieves!
6)Having said all that i think "starting" a business in Kenya is easier compared to the West, due to lower labour costs and lesser enforcement of labour laws, however, in the West chances of succeeding are higher.
6)And Kenyans, tenderpreneurship is not enterpreneurship.

There are many other external factors, but these stand out for me.
faa
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 9:12:53 AM

mulla wrote:
dheemonk wrote:

It is possible to be rich, assuming being rich in Kenya is having a net worth of ksh100m and above, but being wealthy is another beast altogether, in Kenya being wealthy at ksh1bn and above.
I think compared to the West attaining wealth in Kenya is difficult for these reasons.
1)We are dealt with a majority of the population of low purchase power. Even in Nairobi,the economic hub of kenya, with a population of 4.5m, only about 1m is considered middle class and above, the rest are poor.
2)Obstacles to doing genuine business with low priced poor quality counterfeits of which the majority of the population are enticed to buy.In this regard the government has let us down over the years by allowing this practice to continue, killing manufacturing and high cost of manufacturing.
3)To be wealthy in Kenya you need to cater for the low class and selling nationally, like Milk(e.g Uhuru) or Pens(e.g Kirubi)or Cooking Oil(e.g Vimal) where they make ksh1-10 gross profit per product but selling in millions of products per day,including export.
4)Only a small population is taxed, many Micro and SMEs escape paying their taxes, creating an unequal playing field.
5)High cost of living and 'double' paying for services, for which the government is supposed to provide,eg, "good" quality education, health,security etc whereas in the west its provided for from their taxes. That leaves more income for saving and investment in the west.
5)All the other perceived wealthy in Kenya,example, mashamba who claims he hustled his way to the top selling chicken and no other enterprises, are thieves!
6)Having said all that i think "starting" a business in Kenya is easier compared to the West, due to lower labour costs and lesser enforcement of labour laws, however, in the West chances of succeeding are higher.
6)And Kenyans, tenderpreneurship is not enterpreneurship.

There are many other external factors, but these stand out for me.

Good points Camp Mulla.

6)And Kenyans, tenderpreneurship is not enterpreneurship- Both bring money to the table , Bottomline is they all offer income.
MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 11:50:27 AM

I think you are asking the wrong question
You should not be seeking to be rich but to be financially independent, which is not something one puts an amount or target on.
Besides, beyond a certain point, more money does not afford you a better lifestyle. Just bigger toys. And you can only sit your backside in one toy (house, car, plane etc) at a time. So the financially independent guy who is able to have a comfortable life for him and his family is no different from the uber-wealthy Greek billionaire if they are able to travel to the same places, eat at the same restaurants and breathe the same dust in any city they live in.
And if you are looking for money to bring you happiness or lasting joy in life you will be sorely disappointed.

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu
Swenani
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 12:58:54 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
You should not be seeking to be rich but to be financially independent, which is not something one puts an amount or target on.
Besides, beyond a certain point, more money does not afford you a better lifestyle. Just bigger toys. And you can only sit your backside in one toy (house, car, plane etc) at a time. So the financially independent guy who is able to have a comfortable life for him and his family is no different from the uber-wealthy Greek billionaire if they are able to travel to the same places, eat at the same restaurants and breathe the same dust in any city they live in.
And if you are looking for money to bring you happiness or lasting joy in life you will be sorely disappointed.

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu

money doesn't bring joy but it can buy you things which bring joy and happiness
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
sparkly
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:47:26 PM

Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu

These tu-mugunda people do not believe in extravagance Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Life is short. Live passionately.
MugundaMan
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 3:54:47 PM

Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu

Swenani, I don't want to get too philosophical on you (especially of the Tycho variety Laughing out loudly) but study after study has shown that money and material things never bring lasting happiness. Ask Socrates, Plato and the rest. Even in Economics, there is a marginal utility aspect that can be applied to money. Think of buying a brand new Range Rover. Exciting on day one. You drive it home and can't wait to drive it kesho. Then it is all downhill from there. In 1 years time you are complaining about how much it costs to run. In 5 years time you want to dispose it and buy a newer one. Your initial thrill you had on day one for it is long forgotten. Pesa ni kitu bure my friend. The only people that money was found to make happy are those in dangerous situations eg in the slums where crime disease and extreme hunger may be rife. Getting them out of that terrible environment into safety and relative comfort was measured to bring a sort of happiness that lasted longer than normal. But when they adjusted to their new circumstances after a couple of years they became like the rest of us; bored with their toys and wanting more every day; chasing the wind to the grave.
kaka2za
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 4:17:23 PM

You cannot do any business in Kenya without paying a bribe.It could be to a cop,Kanju or the numerous regulatory authorities.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Swenani
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 4:39:25 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Ni hayo maoni yangu tu

Swenani, I don't want to get too philosophical on you (especially of the Tycho variety Laughing out loudly) but study after study has shown that money and material things never bring lasting happiness. Ask Socrates, Plato and the rest. Even in Economics, there is a marginal utility aspect that can be applied to money. Think of buying a brand new Range Rover. Exciting on day one. You drive it home and can't wait to drive it kesho. Then it is all downhill from there. In 1 years time you are complaining about how much it costs to run. In 5 years time you want to dispose it and buy a newer one. Your initial thrill you had on day one for it is long forgotten. Pesa ni kitu bure my friend. The only people that money was found to make happy are those in dangerous situations eg in the slums where crime disease and extreme hunger may be rife. Getting them out of that terrible environment into safety and relative comfort was measured to bring a sort of happiness that lasted longer than normal. But when they adjusted to their new circumstances after a couple of years they became like the rest of us; bored with their toys and wanting more every day; chasing the wind to the grave.

@shamba man-Which one do you prefer?

Money brings joy regardless of your status.

If you were driving a merc and upgrade to a RR, you will adjust to the RR in 1-2 yrs.If you have no money to upgrade, you'll definitely be depressed. But if you 've the cash you will find joy in a lamborghin etc

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Ryko
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 7:56:22 PM

Scarcity - Hustler

Comfort - from Middro class all the way up

Enough -

Overconsumption - likes of drugs messing rich kids
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
Angelica _ann
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2018 8:00:58 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to be rich in Kenya without stealing

NO.

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

Rich .... Yes, Wealthy ..... No!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
MugundaMan
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2018 9:19:51 AM

Swenani wrote:

@shamba man-Which one do you prefer?

Money brings joy regardless of your status.

If you were driving a merc and upgrade to a RR, you will adjust to the RR in 1-2 yrs.If you have no money to upgrade, you'll definitely be depressed. But if you 've the cash you will find joy in a lamborghin etc

Clearly you missed the point by a country mile smile
Pray tell, why would anyone be depressed about not getting a piece of metal on rubber wheels Laughing out loudly Money is like sex. You chase it all your life from your wife but you are always hungry for more the next day because it is never enough. And if you are greedy and covetous it brings even less temporary satisfaction.
MugundaMan
#16 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2018 9:56:09 AM

Ryko wrote:

Scarcity - Hustler

Comfort - from Middro class all the way up

Enough -

Overconsumption - likes of drugs messing rich kids

Funnily enough it mirrors the Law of Diminishing returns in Economics which is as immutable as the law of Gravity

But this is a no brainer. I recall an old friend from another African country who told me how their teacher in high school taught them about this law. As you know in most boarding schools in Africa hunger is a persistent menace due to the poor food and meagre portions. So he brought a huge thermos full of tea and asked for a volunteer to drink the very delicious tea, but the catch was you had to clear the whole thermos without a drop left by the end of the class. Of course all the hands in class went up. The greediest student was selected and promptly began to down the tea with glee. By cup 4 he was already showing signs of nausea. By cup 10 he was about to collapse yet several more cups awaited him. Gone was the pleasure and thrill of the delicious tea. In its place was stomach cramps, pain, agony, nausea and a sickening feeling of being a sneeze away from death!