Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Telkom Airtel Merger
murchr
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:05:21 PM

reuters wrote:
* Telkom Kenya/Airtel merger could challenge Safaricom

* Regulator sounded out about closer cooperation - source

* Spectrum allocation could be an issue (Adds competition authority, rewrites)

By Duncan Miriri

NAIROBI, April 10 (Reuters) - Telkom Kenya plans to merge operations with Indian-owned Bharti Airtel’s local unit as a first step to acquiring all of Airtel’s assets, sources said on Tuesday, creating a stronger challenger to market leader Safaricom.

The two operators have a combined 23 percent of Kenya’s 41 million mobile subscribers, but have long struggled to compete with Safaricom, which has a 71.9 percent market share.

The disparity is even wider in revenue terms, with Safaricom, which is 35 percent held by South Africa’s Vodacom , enjoying more than 90 percent in both voice and short messages categories.

Data from the Communications Authority (CA) regulator showed Safaricom also has close to 90 percent of the annual revenue from the Internet access business.

It also has a commanding lead in mobile phone money transfer with its M-Pesa service, which is regulated by the central bank.

A source at CA said the two firms have been engaging officials over the plan to share outlets and infrastructure like transmission assets, before Telkom acquires Airtel Kenya at an unspecified time.

“They are yet to make a formal application (to the telecoms regulator) disclosing all the details,” the source told Reuters.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#22 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:44:43 AM

watesh wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
shocks wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Telkom Kenya plans to take over all of Airtel Kenya eventually but it has yet to decide on a structure, a source tells Reuters

Well, Telkom might just be a much more serious competitor for Safaricom than Airtel.

And we will be having two companies competing against each other and GoK having a significant stake in both of them

Kuna Faiba

Hahahahaaa hiyo ya arap singh.

Hawako ata ranked
Compare Brookside of 2011 vs 2018. Same could apply to Faiba after 2022...

Telcom infrastructure is much more expensive than milk factories

Thanks for responding to vvs.With the way he was reasoning I couldn't answer back
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:46:21 AM

Jimmy Boy wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
shocks wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Telkom Kenya plans to take over all of Airtel Kenya eventually but it has yet to decide on a structure, a source tells Reuters

Well, Telkom might just be a much more serious competitor for Safaricom than Airtel.

And we will be having two companies competing against each other and GoK having a significant stake in both of them

Kuna Faiba

Hawako ata ranked

Agribusiness na Telecommunications hazipelekanangi....Shame on you

Thanks for responding to vvs.With the way he was reasoning I couldn't answer back
VituVingiSana
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:55:16 AM

watesh wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
shocks wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Kuna Faiba

Hawako ata ranked

Telcom infrastructure is much more expensive than milk factories

Is there a limit to corruption/grabiosis in Kenya?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
ngapat
#25 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 9:25:04 PM

Telkom and airtel are run by thick headed ceo's. The only way they will end safaricom dominance is by working on their network. No amount of freebies and cheap offers will help them win customers if their network is not atleast at par with that of safaricom.
I don't really think Mpesa is enough reason to tie people to safaricom. Nowadays there are so many money transfer services cheaper than Mpesa. Equitel for example
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
Stiffler
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:02:16 PM

ngapat wrote:
Telkom and airtel are run by thick headed ceo's. The only way they will end safaricom dominance is by working on their network. No amount of freebies and cheap offers will help them win customers if their network is not atleast at par with that of safaricom.
I don't really think Mpesa is enough reason to tie people to safaricom. Nowadays there are so many money transfer services cheaper than Mpesa. Equitel for example

Yes, network reliability is key. One would rather pay a premium than be stuck somewhere with no decent 3/4G network...
Ericsson
#27 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 8:53:52 AM

ngapat wrote:

Telkom kenya are trying,airtel are the ones who are dead
obiero
#28 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 9:12:30 AM

Ericsson wrote:
ngapat wrote:

The quality of personnel at Telkom is at the moment of much greater depth than Safaricom. Its just Kenyans peculiar habits that keep people tied to an expensive network, but atleast the latest CA report shows voice traffic on Safaricom dropped close to 10% in Q4 2017

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Stiffler
#29 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 10:32:08 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
ngapat wrote:

The quality of personnel at Telkom is at the moment of much greater depth than Safaricom. Its just Kenyans peculiar habits that keep people tied to an expensive network, but atleast the latest CA report shows voice traffic on Safaricom dropped close to 10% in Q4 2017

I think most people just prefer reliability/consistency/ convenience to cost.

People are willing to pay a premium for reliable services

Safaricon is like the only network that one access reliable 3G beyond these major towns
Ericsson
#30 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 10:42:11 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
ngapat wrote:

True Obiero telkom Kenya has changed
obiero
#31 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:45:23 AM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
ngapat wrote:

Totally changed.. Most of the executive team are industry shapers with global acclaim, some being part of Safaricom initial success http://www.telkom.co.ke/management

sparkly
#32 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:18:16 AM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
[quote=ngapat]Telkom and airtel are run by thick headed ceo's. The only way they will end safaricom dominance is by working on their network. No amount of freebies and cheap offers will help them win customers if their network is not atleast at par with that of safaricom.

Totally changed.. Most of the executive team are industry shapers with global acclaim, some being part of Safaricom initial success http://www.telkom.co.ke/management[/quote]

Helios know how to fatten calves for slaughter. If all works out for them (if not crushed by Safaricom) we will have an IPO in 5 years.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#33 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:01:26 AM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
ngapat wrote:

Totally changed.. Most of the executive team are industry shapers with global acclaim, some being part of Safaricom initial success http://www.telkom.co.ke/management

Helios know how to fatten calves for slaughter. If all works out for them (if not crushed by Safaricom) we will have an IPO in 5 years.

Let that IPO come soon

Ericsson
#34 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:00:21 PM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
ngapat wrote:

Let that IPO come soon

All can only work for them if Airtel falters.
As for safaricom them they are in a different league not forgetting the financial muscle and debt free status of the balance sheet
snifadog
#35 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:33:43 PM

ngapat wrote:

I have been trying out the Telkom network for the past 1 week. Firstly when I bought the simcard from their shop in sarit, the sales person had to step out of the office to look for signal to activate my line..early warning signs
Now on the data front I have given up..I have been used to safaricom fast and reliable 4G. Telkom is weak kabisa, I have to airplane mode a couple of times a day to restart the connection..not to mention most times its on EDGE or H+ I think a good segment of the market will happily pay a bit more to get fast reliable 4G instead of suffering with the Telkoms and Airtels of this world
Stiffler
#36 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:51:37 PM

snifadog wrote:
ngapat wrote:

I have been trying out the Telkom network for the past 1 week. Firstly when I bought the simcard from their shop in sarit, the sales person had to step out of the office to look for signal to activate my line..early warning signs
Now on the data front I have given up..I have been used to safaricom fast and reliable 4G. Telkom is weak kabisa, I have to airplane mode a couple of times a day to restart the connection..not to mention most times its on EDGE or H+ I think a good segment of the market will happily pay a bit more to get fast reliable 4G instead of suffering with the Telkoms and Airtels of this world

Main Reason why am stuck in this unwanted Union with Safaricon
VituVingiSana
#37 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:11:12 PM

snifadog wrote:
ngapat wrote:

That's messed up. Surely, they can stick a base station in their shop!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:54:05 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
snifadog wrote:
ngapat wrote:

That's messed up. Surely, they can stick a base station in their shop!

I personally haven’t been affected by the stated service outtages

murchr
#39 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 4:31:33 PM

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
mlennyma
#40 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 6:42:16 PM

murchr wrote:

I don't trust Indians,it can be a tax evading formula,this liabilities indicates the company is dead
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."