wazua Tue, Apr 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<3456>
Ubapesa
mozenrat
#81 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:48:00 PM

The owners appear to be tweaking the rates a lot which maybe a reaction to defaults. First the split on returns reduced from 55 to 42.5 (which is 50/50 less withholding. Today they've revised it further down to 34%.
mawinder
#82 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 9:06:03 PM

mozenrat wrote:
The owners appear to be tweaking the rates a lot which maybe a reaction to defaults. First the split on returns reduced from 55 to 42.5 (which is 50/50 less withholding. Today they've revised it further down to 34%.

They have done away with 30 days loans, now 20 days at 14% up from 10% and lender gets 34% of the 14%..This now leaves slightly more for the lender and more for Ubapesa all to the detriment of the borrower
ngapat
#83 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 11:43:26 AM

Got this sms from ubapesa.Seems all is not well
Quote:
Effective midnight 20/11/18. Due to circumstances, we shall suspend the lenders facility until further notice. For more details contact us on 0709693000
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
Angelica _ann
#84 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 11:46:55 AM

ngapat wrote:
Quote:
Effective midnight 20/11/18. Due to circumstances, we shall suspend the lenders facility until further notice. For more details contact us on 0709693000

Definitely, infact i saw @mawinder footprints the other day and just thought how is ubapesa doing.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
anasazi
#85 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 11:49:11 AM

I downloaded one of these apps a while back and tested with 5k. Lost everything apart from like 150 bob earned from one of the loans disbursed. The others defaulted kabisa. I think they gamed the system. For me I'm done with the peer lending apps.
Form is temporary, class is permanent
mawinder
#86 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 10:03:44 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

Definitely, infact i saw @mawinder footprints the other day and just thought how is ubapesa doing.

Hehehe..Have been caught up a bit..Had put up 170k for lending on Sunday, they lent only 63k and refunded the rest.Borrowers, defaulters also owe me..It is sad but a way of life
Muthawamunene
#87 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:37:50 AM

Speculz wrote:
Where do they compute that credit score from?

They integrate with the Credit Reference Bureaus.

There are 3 bureaus in Kenya;
1. Transunion (formally known as CRBAfrika)
2.Metropol CRB
3.Credit Info

I have dealt with Transunion. They have a mobile app called TransUnion Nipashe on the Google play store.

You will register with 50 shillings and you are entitled to one free credit report per year.

Your score is prominently displayed on the first screen.

Swiping to the right leads to a screen that display every loan they have data on.

They aggregate all your lines of credit into one profile; bank loans, mobile loans, Sacco loans etc. They then use statistical models to calculate your score/risk profile.

Lenders, banks, mobile lenders, Saccos etc send data concerning their customers and then consume the aggregated profile which will have the calculated score.

Data on both performing and none performing loans is sent. In essence, every loan taken in this country.

This is regulated by the central bank, the Kenya bankers association and the credit information sharing working group - cis Kenya.

Currently the profiles are updated monthly, but there is serious traction in making it real time. I attended a conference recently concerning this. I work in the financial industry.

Here's the link to a document detailing what info is shared crb data standards document

Personally I am excited by how the financial sector is deepening. Soon you'll be able to negotiate your interest rate depending on your credit score.

This is part of the reason why Kenya moved up 19 places in the world Bank ease of doing business index - ease of getting credit.
Muthawamunene
#88 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:44:48 AM

anasazi wrote:
I downloaded one of these apps a while back and tested with 5k. Lost everything apart from like 150 bob earned from one of the loans disbursed. The others defaulted kabisa. I think they gamed the system. For me I'm done with the peer lending apps.

Take heart in knowing that the defaulters will find it extremely hard to get credit elsewhere. Ubapesa submits data to the Credit Reference Bureaus. See one of my posts here on how the credit information is shared and how lending is shifting to being data driven.
Mike Ock
#89 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:05:54 PM

ngapat wrote:
Quote:

This is one of those business ideas that needs a functional judicial system in order to work well. I don't think the threat of CRB is enough, the threat of being fined or jailed must be there when it comes to confronting fraud.
Gathige
#90 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:33:03 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

This is one of those business ideas that needs a functional judicial system in order to work well. I don't think the threat of CRB is enough, the threat of being fined or jailed must be there when it comes to confronting fraud.

True. Majority of the apps borrowers are not they type that care about CRB threats. Most are either doing it for betting and survival. The legal costs of following up are too high for the amounts involved.

This line of business is best left to shylocks, they break the legs and necks when following up payments.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Muthawamunene
#91 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:13:40 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

Give it time.
They can get away with one or two defaults, but once their details are submitted, credit freezes for them untill they settle their balances.

Watch this space in 2 year's time. 2020.

There is a reason why Tala is raising funds. They know that once virgin land is conquered, the profits wipe away the losses in multiples.

The technology and man power being poured into this is the equivalent of throwing everything including the kitchen sink.
winmak
#92 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:53:39 PM

There was only one way this uba pesa story was going to end
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Mike Ock
#93 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:28:55 PM

Muthawamunene wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

Give it time.
They can get away with one or two defaults, but once their details are submitted, credit freezes for them untill they settle their balances.

There is a reason why Tala is raising funds. They know that once virgin land is conquered, the profits wipe away the losses in multiples.

The technology and man power being poured into this is the equivalent of throwing everything including the kitchen sink.

Tala is not peer to peer, it is a big company that is loaning you the money, so there is a kasmall fear that most people have of big companies. With Ubapesa it's just another kajamaa over there loaning you the money, hapo ndio madharau inaingia sasa and default rate goes higher.
ombaalbt
#94 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:54:27 PM

Tested waters here where i gave ten guys amounts raging from 500 to 3500. Default rate is high. Three guys paid on time. Another three paid defaulted on due date but paid later. The Other four never paid. But i got a refund from the Ubapesa guys for all of the four after 60 days from date of default. Got my money back and ran.
Learning to sit on my hands
shalishali
#95 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:14:58 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
Muthawamunene wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

Give it time.

Tala is not peer to peer, it is a big company that is loaning you the money, so there is a kasmall fear that most people have of big companies. With Ubapesa it's just another kajamaa over there loaning you the money, hapo ndio madharau inaingia sasa and default rate goes higher.

One of the lenders with lowest interest is Baclays Timiza app. Tala is one of the most expensive
UKITAFUTA UKABILA UTAKUFA BILA!
Angelica _ann
#96 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:25:24 PM

What is the rate on Mcoop cash for Coop Bank?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
MatataMingi
#97 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:02:51 PM

Just a question.
I have not taken any loans from anywhere in the last 20 years.
I have accounts in 2 big banks, both current and fixed deposit accounts.
Will I have a credit score?
Thanks
Shak
#98 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 4:27:40 PM

shalishali wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
Muthawamunene wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

Give it time.

One of the lenders with lowest interest is Baclays Timiza app. Tala is one of the most expensive

KCB Mobi loan charges 3.66% for a maximum period of one month. Mobile loans are expensive
Gathige
#99 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 6:49:21 PM

Shak wrote:
shalishali wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
Muthawamunene wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
ngapat wrote:
Quote:

Give it time.

KCB Mobi loan charges 3.66% for a maximum period of one month. Mobile loans are expensive

They are just Shylocks.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Mastermind
#100 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 6:37:11 PM

So far, how are you guys doing?
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.