Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages«<56789>
Faiba 4G....Newest Safaricom competitor
Wororo
#121 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:34:12 PM

Stiffler wrote:
I have given up on this Faiba4G thing. Lemme stick to Safaricon/ Telecom

This Faiba is just but a Branded Tortoise. Nothing more

Word is that MTN Business is extremely keen offering 4G internet as it eases its way into mobile data offering in Kenya ...

I think only MTN Business amongst the tier two telcos has the know-how and financial capability to create a considerable dent... And efficiently rival the Safaricom within the data segment...

Faiba won't hack... Buying their routers might leave many frustrated...
VituVingiSana
#122 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:46:52 PM

Stiffler wrote:
Anyone with the latest Faiba4G Update or info on How to get it. Aside from Physically going to their Offices which I consider cumbersome/ inconvenient.

Or better yet how to unlock the modem to access other providers

I got mine at Naivas (the phone booth/store).
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#123 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:48:26 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Stiffler wrote:
Anyone with the latest Faiba4G Update or info on How to get it. Aside from Physically going to their Offices which I consider cumbersome/ inconvenient.

Or better yet how to unlock the modem to access other providers

Just buy the 4G mobile wifi router that you can use with sim card of any of the providers at ksh.12k
Faiba4G uses 700 MHz (the old analog signal/bandwidth) so make sure the "unlocked" MiFi supports 700 MHz.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#124 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:53:18 PM

Wororo wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Word is that MTN Business is extremely keen offering 4G internet as it eases its way into mobile data offering in Kenya ...

I think only MTN Business amongst the tier two telcos has the know-how and financial capability to create a considerable dent... And efficiently rival the Safaricom within the data segment...

I decreased my usage of Safaricom's mobile data by replacing it with Faiba4G. I have recouped the cost of the modem (5,800 at the time) by buying much cheaper bundles. This may not work for others since my usage is centered in "old" Nairobi (eg CBD) and Mombasa (eg Nyali) but not the newer less dense "suburbs" [Runda, Kahawa, etc] which may not have Faiba's fiber.
Museveni
#125 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 9:47:41 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Wororo wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

I decreased my usage of Safaricom's mobile data by replacing it with Faiba4G. I have recouped the cost of the modem (5,800 at the time) by buying much cheaper bundles. This may not work for others since my usage is centered in "old" Nairobi (eg CBD) and Mombasa (eg Nyali) but not the newer less dense "suburbs" [Runda, Kahawa, etc] which may not have Faiba's fiber.

Faiba seems to be a very good option especially the bundles offered. The biggest downside is COVERAGE.

If only the faiba guys would increase the number of BS knowing very well they need fewer to cover a large area as compared to 3G or 2G coverage!

For those who are thinking or planning on buying the 4G portable routers do the background check properly if you intent to use them with different providers.

Ensure that the modems/routers are able to operate within LTE bands 20 (~800MHZ) and LTE band 28 (~700MHZ).

A brief list of common bands and the frequencies (in brackets) the are capable operate in: B1/2/3/4/7/8/20/28/12&17 (700/800/900/1800/1900/2100/2600Mhz)

I would suggest visiting the 4Gltemall website and search the exact model of the dongle or router you want to buy/use. exact model includes the numbers/text after hyphen e.g Huawei E5786s-32a and Huawei E5786s-62a are similar but support different LTE bands. The 32a supports Band 1/3/5/7/8/20/38 while the 62a supports Band 1/3/8/28. The first would not work with faiba while the second will. When using safaricom or airtel or even telkom lines the first would work perfectly while they may work wih the second mifi, the best speeds or connectio would be a 3G connection which the networks optimize for voice and not data. This is irrespective of whether unlocked or not.

Recently tried to look for faiba modems but they were in short supply including from the faiba distribution channel. Managed to find a Huawei E5573s-606 [LTE Band 1/3/7/28 (2100/1800/2600/700MHz)] which is able to work on the faiba lte network. Safaricom utilizes Huawei E5573C-322 [LTE Band 1/3/5/7/8/20 (800/850/900/1800/2100/2600MHz)].

If only a proper map of 4G coverage is available Sad

Looking to replace the home internet connection with 4G router.
Live and learn; and don’t forget, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Stiffler
#126 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 10:41:27 PM

Museveni wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Wororo wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Faiba seems to be a very good option especially the bundles offered. The biggest downside is COVERAGE.

If only the faiba guys would increase the number of BS knowing very well they need fewer to cover a large area as compared to 3G or 2G coverage!

For those who are thinking or planning on buying the 4G portable routers do the background check properly if you intent to use them with different providers.

Ensure that the modems/routers are able to operate within LTE bands 20 (~800MHZ) and LTE band 28 (~700MHZ).

A brief list of common bands and the frequencies (in brackets) the are capable operate in: B1/2/3/4/7/8/20/28/12&17 (700/800/900/1800/1900/2100/2600Mhz)

I would suggest visiting the 4Gltemall website and search the exact model of the dongle or router you want to buy/use. exact model includes the numbers/text after hyphen e.g Huawei E5786s-32a and Huawei E5786s-62a are similar but support different LTE bands. The 32a supports Band 1/3/5/7/8/20/38 while the 62a supports Band 1/3/8/28. The first would not work with faiba while the second will. When using safaricom or airtel or even telkom lines the first would work perfectly while they may work wih the second mifi, the best speeds or connectio would be a 3G connection which the networks optimize for voice and not data. This is irrespective of whether unlocked or not.

Recently tried to look for faiba modems but they were in short supply including from the faiba distribution channel. Managed to find a Huawei E5573s-606 [LTE Band 1/3/7/28 (2100/1800/2600/700MHz)] which is able to work on the faiba lte network. Safaricom utilizes Huawei E5573C-322 [LTE Band 1/3/5/7/8/20 (800/850/900/1800/2100/2600MHz)].

Loll..
Here I am, already replaced my 4G Router with home fiber...
Kila nyani na starehe yake...

😀
Museveni
#127 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:10:39 AM

Stiffler wrote:
Museveni wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Wororo wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Loll..
Here I am, already replaced my 4G Router with home fiber...
Kila nyani na starehe yake...

😀

When home fiber is available it a no brainer but when on an adsl line or over wimax, the faiba 4G offering is very enticing. Portability too is an added plus no need to keep draining the phone by tethering.
Live and learn; and don’t forget, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
VituVingiSana
#128 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:10:05 PM

Still working well for me esp during the World Cup matches.
kayhara
#129 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:35:32 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

Happy that I can now not have to worry about Data, the 25GB takes me about 3 weeks with 'heavy use' used to spend 6-7k on safe am down to 2k max pm, I don't even need FTTH anymore.
To Each His Own
VituVingiSana
#130 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:48:13 PM

kayhara wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Happy that I can now not have to worry about Data, the 25GB takes me about 3 weeks with 'heavy use' used to spend 6-7k on safe am down to 2k max pm, I don't even need FTTH anymore.

I do use Mobile Data [depending on my needs] when I don't get a decent Faiba signal but it's usually not a problem within "proper" Nairobi where JTL has fiber customers/points/nodes. Similar quality within Mombasa CBD and Nyali.

I need to find a way to extend or strengthen the WiFi signal throughout the house so I do not have to carry it around the house.

Faiba should partner with Telkom or Airtel to extend (roaming?) their bundles to more areas.
mlennyma
#131 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:25:06 PM

kayhara wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

iam with you. the green monister was just an exploiter, i can't look back
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
grolut
#132 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 8:31:36 AM

They have very good pricing on data bundles but their speeds are horrible. I've been getting 2mbps download if I'm lucky, upload is around 5mbps.
In a place where thought is abandoned, freedom can become a curse.
Ericsson
#133 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 10:31:25 AM

grolut wrote:
They have very good pricing on data bundles but their speeds are horrible. I've been getting 2mbps download if I'm lucky, upload is around 5mbps.

Data Safaricom and telkom kenya are kings.
Very reliable
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Enuma Elish
#134 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 12:43:01 PM

kayhara wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

My situation exactly. I switched off my FTTH in January.
VituVingiSana
#135 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 3:14:00 PM

Delete
VituVingiSana
#136 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 3:32:08 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
I am a multi-SIM (data) user.
1) I use (free, fast and reliable) WiFi where & when I can - restaurants, hotels, etc.
2) Faiba where #1 is not available.
3) Other telcos eg Airtel/Saf when #2 isn't fast/reliable/available.

My KES spend (despite increased) on data has dropped considerably over the past year thanks to increase in #1, adoption of #2 and price reductions of #3.

watesh
#137 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 9:14:34 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
1) I use (free, fast and reliable) WiFi where & when I can - restaurants, hotels, etc.

My KES spend (despite increased) on data has dropped considerably over the past year thanks to increase in #1, adoption of #2 and price reductions of #3.

I am pretty much on the same boat. My spending on data dropped by half once i took up Faiba. I hope these guys continue investing in the network coz the speeds have started becoming an issue in some areas
Ericsson
#138 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:20:11 PM

watesh wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

I am pretty much on the same boat. My spending on data dropped by half once i took up Faiba. I hope these guys continue investing in the network coz the speeds have started becoming an issue in some areas

Hiyo pesa yako forms part of 2022 campaigns for arap singh.
No investment in the network and plus they still have a trial license so they are limited on expansion
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
watesh
#139 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:59:12 PM

Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No investment in the network and plus they still have a trial license so they are limited on expansion

This man is like a disease everywhere. We cant enjoy nice things for long because of him
kayhara
#140 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:43:53 PM

watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

This man is like a disease everywhere. We cant enjoy nice things for long because of him

I am sure the dent however minute will show in the next CK mobile report, Saf must have lost a considerable number of medium to heavy data users who are also price conscience, those who 5mbps is good enough for the activities they do, i mean why would i want to torrent or download anything when I can just stream it, I also backup my work using the office wifi and access it at home or elsewhere on my tablet or phone.
I have tried airtel and telkom and they were just unreliable Faiba has been saf reliable but speed is not saf-like but acceptable eg a 2GB file will take abou 20 minutes on faiba or 3 minutes on saf, you tube plays fine, social media videos play fine, and I can finally stream radio day and night without dialing *544# check balance everyone and then.
Plus I use it on a cheap Nokia 2 phone whose huge battery makes it ideal for tethering.
To Each His Own