wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

'Thingira' regained
tycho
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 6:31:07 PM

I've been working on the anthropologies of the 'indigenous' Kenyan ethnic societies, and I realize that there's so much power and beauty that has been neglected or even overlooked.

In my younger years I was made to believe that there was no indigenous philosophy by the time the colonialists were coming.

If I can recall, it was either Oruka or Tempels who used the term of 'sage philosophy' in the indigenous context.

But that term in my opinion is misleading in so far as it implies the lack of institutions meant for philosophy.

Having said that, I should now announce that Mugo wa Kibiru's injunction regarding the necessity of regaining 'Thingira' or 'Manhood' from a psychological and philosophical perspective has at least been understood, and its praxis formulated.

It is now possible for us to describe and create a world based on traditional philosophy and principles.
tycho
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:14:56 PM

This is a contemporary example of 'Thingira':

https://www.theguardian....unch-three-minutes-early
tycho
#3 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 1:51:38 PM

One thing for sure, all of us must go to dance around the Mugumo tree. But now the big question is how we can model a new culture from the old principles of the mugumo.
simonkabz
#4 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 2:16:07 PM

tycho wrote:
One thing for sure, all of us must go to dance around the Mugumo tree. But now the big question is how we can model a new culture from the old principles of the mugumo.

First things first. Learn the old culture.

A clash will ensue between the old culture and contemporary lifestyles and a balance will be found.

A new culture will be born from that balance. It has been happening.

BTW Im not sure whether I've taken a tangent off your post...... si unajua mambo yako ni ngumu kuelewa ndugu Tycho?
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
tycho
#5 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 2:52:29 PM

simonkabz wrote:
tycho wrote:

First things first. Learn the old culture.

A clash will ensue between the old culture and contemporary lifestyles and a balance will be found.

A new culture will be born from that balance. It has been happening.

BTW Im not sure whether I've taken a tangent off your post...... si unajua mambo yako ni ngumu kuelewa ndugu Tycho?

Yes, we need to learn the old cultures. And the aim of learning the old cultures is to find the principles of tradition.

The conflict of the contemporary and the demands of tradition will then be resolved in an easier way. Because the conflict will be about restating the principles in the light of contemporary understanding or experience of life.

An example is needed. Female circumcision and the idea of the role of the female in traditional culture are corresponding in that by losing an aspect of not just sexuality, but the demand for pleasure, the woman can play a passive role as 'mutumia'.

In contemporary experience then the question of femininity arises and can only be effectively answered when we look at how traditional principles allocate power to the feminine and how what we live with now can be adapted to these principles.

No. You've not taken a different trajectory from the intended discourse @Simo...