wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Digging a water well (Kisima)
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:56:25 AM

With boreholes going for 1m a pop they are definitely out of my range. I have one ka plot very close to a valley/seasonal riverbed. I am almost certain water table is not very deep down (50 ft at the most).

What is the cost of digging a shallow well with watu wa KYM? Also what is the procedure in terms of constructing it? I want a well that will last me the next 25 years bila shida mingi.

I had one guy come and offer to dig one for me for a very reasonable rate per foot but I want more opinions/price comparisons. Then I laughed for almost 5 minutes non stop when he told me he had to do hydrological survey for 12k before he started.

This particular plot is near Kiserian, black cotton, bedrock 1.5 m deep.
Gathige
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 1:44:59 AM

I meet a guy within the same locality and indicated he can do a well at the rate of Kshs 1500 per feet and can do upto 150 feet in 3 months.

Not sure how reliable he us though.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 3:48:16 PM

Gathige wrote:
I meet a guy within the same locality and indicated he can do a well at the rate of Kshs 1500 per feet and can do upto 150 feet in 3 months.

1.5 is steep baba. The guy says 1k per foot. If I can get him to shelve the hydro "survey" then I'm in business
Gathige
#4 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 3:34:06 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Gathige wrote:

1.5 is steep baba. The guy says 1k per foot. If I can get him to shelve the hydro "survey" then I'm in business

Sounds good. Keep updating on progress
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:11:22 AM

We are 35 ft down with no water yet. Well diggers keep saying we are "very close." Had to fire the foreman who was paying the KYM guys on this project because he was secretly munching a bit of the money despite the fact I was accounting for everything and paying daily. How he would do it is since he knows I only come to measure every two or three days, he ongezas a foot here and two feet there at the end of the day, I send the money, he pays the KYM guys for the actual footage then pockets the balance. When I come to measure, everything is accurate and fully paid for, but the KYM guys are complaining they have not been paid for the last 3-5 ft! Mjanja kabisa, he must work for NYS. Otherwise it is going very well. They hit a serious piece of granite around 20ft that took them three days to get thru but after that it has been easy murram ever since. I have learned my lesson to always cut out the middleman on any project. Better to pay the guy a small fee to find you the diggers then you deal with them directly, then to pay him the fee as part of the per foot rate and then he swindles you along the way. I Will jump for joy if we hit water over the weekend. I will be in the money, baba, supplying all my domestic water needs and making a killing selling to the neighbours.
Gathige
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 11:35:39 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
We are 35 ft down with no water yet. Well diggers keep saying we are "very close." Had to fire the foreman who was paying the KYM guys on this project because he was secretly munching a bit of the money despite the fact I was accounting for everything and paying daily. How he would do it is since he knows I only come to measure every two or three days, he ongezas a foot here and two feet there at the end of the day, I send the money, he pays the KYM guys for the actual footage then pockets the balance. When I come to measure, everything is accurate and fully paid for, but the KYM guys are complaining they have not been paid for the last 3-5 ft! Mjanja kabisa, he must work for NYS. Otherwise it is going very well. They hit a serious piece of granite around 20ft that took them three days to get thru but after that it has been easy murram ever since. I have learned my lesson to always cut out the middleman on any project. Better to pay the guy a small fee to find you the diggers then you deal with them directly, then to pay him the fee as part of the per foot rate and then he swindles you along the way. I Will jump for joy if we hit water over the weekend. I will be in the money, baba, supplying all my domestic water needs and making a killing selling to the neighbours.

Thanks@MugundaMan. Once they hit the water, next stop ni kwangu.
Surething
#7 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 11:18:00 AM

Good progress, though the January dry season would have been the best time to get to the confined aquifer, however it should serve you but keep a close eye on how fast it recharges with a view to deepening if needed next January.

Last year With constant use (for koroga) mine used to last from 8am to 2pm before it became too muddy, but by next morning it was filled again, this past January i did some serious deepening till it reached some soft grey rock which i am told was at the level of the confined aquifer and i am hoping it will now go throughout the day.