wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Thieves of building materials.
muandiwambeu
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:13:24 PM

Someone prescribe to me the best medicine for this guy who is hell bent on thieving my construction raw materials. How are you handling it elsewhere. I need those famous poison laced kale arrows ASAP!
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
alma1
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:05:05 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:
Someone prescribe to me the best medicine for this guy who is hell bent on thieving my construction raw materials. How are you handling it elsewhere. I need those famous poison laced kale arrows ASAP!

First find out if he was ever at NYS. If no, promote him to nyapara...If yes, vote for them.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

muandiwambeu
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:20:12 AM

alma1 wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:

First find out if he was ever at NYS. If no, promote him to nyapara...If yes, vote for them.

Ety, this is my hard earned chums being lick by my competitors. This isn't NYS saga at play,.. Huyu atakuwa example kwa mandugu zake. One hand broken and given a thorough pampering straight to the head. Do not trespass note posted ASAP!
Wororo
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:18:08 AM

I've been trying to avoid such situations beforehand and I bumped into a possible solution the other day.

Adopting modern technology in construction.

So I've been doing some research as regards IG STRUCTURES who say that about 60% of the building process takes place in the manufacturing plant...
Chaka
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:39:35 AM

Arrange to have materials on site that will be enough for the day's work..
obiero
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:07:31 AM

Chaka wrote:

A QS involvement will also be helpful to avoid unexplained overruns

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Mukiri
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:01:07 AM

Chaka wrote:

Unless you have your own transport, you lose out on transport costs. Economies of scale. Hiring security is also an additional cost which isn't a guarantee that he won't collude to steal from you!

Maybe you shouldn't be too yoked on earthly treasures? The rage will do you more harm than the financial loss

Proverbs 19:21
obiero
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:21:02 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Chaka wrote:

Unless you have your own transport, you lose out on transport costs. Economies of scale. Hiring security is also an additional cost which isn't a guarantee that he won't collude to steal from you!

Maybe you shouldn't be too yoked on earthly treasures? The rage will do you more harm than the financial loss

True. The only logical approach is to have a quantity assessment. Like a certain square meter of walling will require x amounts of cement bags. One column will take 1.5bags of cement etc. This way any excessive overrun in quantity will be flushed out immediately as pilferage

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
madollar
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:15:23 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:

For the lead fundis and caretaker at site avoid hiring locals they usually have an existing network unexplained appearances by mtu wa nduthi masaa ya jioni is a sure sign a bag or two of cement zimekujiwa.Be random when making site visits given they have to move the materials at some point.A tough personality is also a plus complain loudly ,suddenly bring in new guys. Lakini this is one vice which is very difficult to eradicate may be minimize.when
Elephant Man
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:59:00 PM

Leta mganga kutoka Iringa ama Tseikuru...and another couple of shady guys good at drama to work together with the mganga... and create a fake news situation (like eating grass and bleating like goats)...
Hiyo maneno itaisha kiasi...we nyauthi's are scared s***less of the dark arts...
guka
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:12:48 PM

Elephant Man wrote:
Leta mganga kutoka Iringa ama Tseikuru...and another couple of shady guys good at drama to work together with the mganga... and create a fake news situation (like eating grass and bleating like goats)...
Hiyo maneno itaisha kiasi...we nyauthi's are scared s***less of the dark arts...

He he When i saw this post this was the first thing that came to mind. I have searched youtube for the story of that man in Mombasa whose timber yard was looted during PEV and he paid a visit to the local mganga and thieves started returning the looted wood after doing rounds in the streets with the loot on their heads.
kayhara
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:33:22 PM

If you can afford get a clerk of works a trusted one, also a QS would help out before you buy materials
these days never ask QS for BQs I ask for material schedules this gives you the number of bars and the number of bags of cement to buy this way you never have surplus materials on site.
another thing is to not install fixtures like switches, taps, and locks until the house is almost complete and the number of fundis has gone down.
but all in all if you don't have a trusted person on site you are guaranteed to lose some materials
To Each His Own
muandiwambeu
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:19:49 AM

kayhara wrote:
If you can afford get a clerk of works a trusted one, also a QS would help out before you buy materials
these days never ask QS for BQs I ask for material schedules this gives you the number of bars and the number of bags of cement to buy this way you never have surplus materials on site.
another thing is to not install fixtures like switches, taps, and locks until the house is almost complete and the number of fundis has gone down.
but all in all if you don't have a trusted person on site you are guaranteed to lose some materials

I believe, though a good piece of advice, you did not specifically issue this piece of advice to Eng. me. Since I doubt if I am likely to get a qs who will be willing to demand schedule of materials from me or other fellow engineer convert them to boqs and come demanding a pay from me for the good advice made. My Fren. You should know people. A qs work would be very inadequate if he or she does not consult the line technical personnel like me for line mini-boqs that he consolidates into one comprehensive grand estimation of value and quantities.
Huyu to ni mwizi Ndungu yangu. Qs won't stop one thieving depa gavana from kunyemelea mahindi ya kando ya barabara hata kama amendanganywa.
Siri nikutenda ya andikwe kwa twira paka guka andai kuyasoma kwa twira humo kijijini.
dunkang
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2018 8:11:52 AM

Install those dummy CCTV cameras in the area where the stores are. ensure they are very huge, with a beeping light and very visible by all from far. And mention them, a lot, every time.

Just remember to be changing their batteries to maintain that beeping light. And also, the area should be well lit to prevent Usiku Sacco members from trying to test them at night.

Playing with people's minds works best. Ask Jubilee government.

One cost's 900/- on Jumia Kenya. Batteries cost 100/= per month.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

muandiwambeu
#15 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 5:05:35 AM

dunkang wrote:
Install those dummy CCTV cameras in the area where the stores are. ensure they are very huge, with a beeping light and very visible by all from far. And mention them, a lot, every time.

Just remember to be changing their batteries to maintain that beeping light. And also, the area should be well lit to prevent Usiku Sacco members from trying to test them at night.

Playing with people's minds works best. Ask Jubilee government.

One cost's 900/- on Jumia Kenya. Batteries cost 100/= per month.

Thumbs up @dunkang. Going for window shopping asap!
MugundaMan
#16 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 10:02:46 AM

alma1 wrote:

Laughing out loudly
Pokea points for this post of the decade.
@OP, do like "I does" and only keep materials that are to be used for the day only on site. No need for pesky cameras with my method. Alternative if you are not occupied elsewhere is to build a comfy site house and live on site to completion. I'm seriously considering this option on my mjengo. Especially since Safaricom fibre is on site and a lovely supermarket is walking distance away. Good luck my broda.
mikanjoroge
#17 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 10:40:28 AM

kayhara wrote:

For other kind of materials e.g metal, plumbing, tools, accessories, cement e.t.c (not sand, ballast or stones), consider a container. Then re-enforce with internal padlock.
When you are done, you can sell it, or move it to new construction site.
hardwood
#18 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 1:27:14 PM

Hire some "mganga kutoka Tanga" to "protect" the site. Ensure all the workers are present when the mganga does his rituals. Also ask him to leave some clearly visible charms hanging at the site "to protect it". No worker will dare steal anything coz the cement bag could end up stuck on his back....or he could end up eating grass.

https://www.tuko.co.ke/2...e-stuck-back.html#272842
muandiwambeu
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:17:07 AM

[quote=hardwood]Hire some "mganga kutoka Tanga" to "protect" the site. Ensure all the workers are present when the mganga does his rituals. Also ask him to leave some clearly visible charms hanging at the site "to protect it". No worker will dare steal anything coz the cement bag could end up stuck on his back....or he could end up eating grass.

https://www.tuko.co.ke/2...-stuck-back.html#272842[/quote]
You may get hooked up for life, but afterall am hooked up to my brankets, bills, airtime and smartphones, iPads, ngogoyo, hardcore banny ranch fun etc etc. Actually, this is guaranteed security to your life, guaranteed cutting of pilferage and easy life. Fewer dishonest blood sucking buddies. Do you have connections to the bees psycer one. I can't imagine the dreaded black mamba snakes being ur mate for a day or so. Nah. Mwaga ndani ya hiyo shimo Wa munyonyi, oh Pole.... Let me concentrate on site issues. I'll be back.