obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Local airline Silverstone raises flights frequency
https://www.businessdail...87830-il18i6/index.html

It is not a significant development per se. Fastjet entry into Kenya. KQ has a competitive advantage due to inbound customers from Europe, America and Asia.

Any local carrier without such traffic cannot pose a threat to KQ.

What about Jambo jet

Jambojet is KQ and KQ is Jambojet. All these other local airlines just exist for capacity leftovers.. KQ various local daily flights are +30 in number!!! +30 flights to local destinations for KQ&Jambojet which represents over 70% of the marketshare. Some of these new guys are doing only 2-3 scheduled flights per day and with the current KES 2,200 offer by JJ, I would not be shocked if Fly540, Air Kenya, Silverstone et al quit the market

So is JJ doing 2,200/- just to undercut the rest?
It's a pity coz the rest of the taxpaying firms do NOT have GoK bailout money!

@vvs here you miss the point. close to half of the people who bought the KES 2,200 offer seats will not travel! they only bought the tickets just because they were cheap but leave will be denied, funds to accompany the travel shall not be located etc.. its simply excellent marketing.. the company shall keep selling ordinary tickets and only avail the offer seats, if space is available! terms and conditions apply

JJ are competing with SGR
Both loss-making GoK (controlled, owned or significantly influenced) entities.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#9822 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:40:16 AM

“We have seen an increase in the number of carriers that are coming into play. For instance, Air France is already here, Air India is coming and Qatar Airways is introducing a flight to Mombasa very soon.

https://www.businessdail...0458-15debsm/index.html

Doesn't Ethiopian and Rwandair also serve Mombasa directly?
Now Mombasa folks will be able to fly to Doha then connect directly to multiple Asian, European and American destinations.

Qatar: Mombasa to New York = MBA-DOH-NYC
KQ: Mombasa to NYC = MBA-NBO-AMS/CDG/LHR-NYC
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#9823 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:02:14 AM

VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:
A company that has more posts on Wazua than profits it has made for shareholders in the last 5 years.

KQ has made me some cash since last year.
I have benefited from the up and down swing of the share.
I bought some at ksh.12.5 then sold them at ksh.15 some months back and just last week I disposed of some that I had bought at ksh.10 at ksh.12.8.
I will wait for the share to hit ksh. 10 then I jump in again. There's no other way to repay our losses from the consolidation.

You have made money through your efforts. KQ has not made you any money.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#9824 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:21:38 AM

sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:
A company that has more posts on Wazua than profits it has made for shareholders in the last 5 years.

I bought some at ksh.12.5 then sold them at ksh.15 some months back and just last week I disposed of some that I had bought at ksh.10 at ksh.12.8.
I will wait for the share to hit ksh. 10 then I jump in again. There's no other way to repay our losses from the consolidation.

Point to note is that money has been made, whichever way :)

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#9825 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:35:47 PM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

According to Warren Buffett's principles, there is no net gain i.e. KQ has impoverished its shareholders since 2012 regardless of the share price or some gains made by some shareholders from "trading"...

I am so glad I bailed out of KQ at 13-14 (52-56 post consolidation)...
obiero
#9826 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 7:04:44 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

According to Warren Buffett's principles, there is no net gain i.e. KQ has impoverished its shareholders since 2012 regardless of the share price or some gains made by some shareholders from "trading"...

@vyaburesiachi has made money.. why are we gloomy about someone gaining from the market

Ericsson
#9827 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 9:23:52 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@vyaburesiachi has made money.. why are we gloomy about someone gaining from the market

@obiero
vvs doesn't believe in speculation of buying low and selling high.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#9828 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 11:37:22 AM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@obiero

I know it's a difficult concept for many to understand but I will try to explain it again.

The intrinsic value of a firm is not always reflected in the share price.

There's a chap called Warren Buffett. You may not have heard of him. That's OK but I will quote him.

Buffett follows the Benjamin Graham school of value investing. Value investors look for securities with prices that are unjustifiably low based on their intrinsic worth.

Buffett, however, isn't concerned with the supply and demand intricacies of the stock market. In fact, he's not really concerned with the activities of the stock market at all. This is the implication in this paraphrase of his famous quote: "In the short term the market is a popularity contest; in the long term it is a weighing machine."

Read more: Warren Buffett: How He Does It https://www.investopedia...71801.asp#ixzz5DTzQlSrM

Buffett: "When it's raining gold, put out the bucket not the thimble."

Finally:

Don't be a day trader
According to Buffett, the secret to getting a better return on investment is to buy a stock and forget about it. He believes in having a buy-and-hold mentality and insists on holding stocks for decades.

There are two principles behind this: (1) if you buy a stock for less than it's true worth, the stock's price will eventually converge with it's intrinsic value; and (2) if you buy a wonderful business, the value of that business will compound and increase exponentially the longer you hold on to it. So, the patient investor will ultimately be rewarded if they hold on to their stocks for a longer time. For Buffett, time is the friend of a wonderful business.

"If you aren't willing to own a stock for 10 years, don't even think about owning it for ten minutes."

He says that if you constantly buy and sell stocks, it'll take away a significant percentage of your returns in the form of trading commissions and taxes. So, it's better to buy great stocks and holding them for a long time.
Ericsson
#9829 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 12:28:45 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@obiero

I know it's a difficult concept for many to understand but I will try to explain it again.

There's a chap called Warren Buffett. You may not have heard of him. That's OK but I will quote him.

Buffett follows the Benjamin Graham school of value investing. Value investors look for securities with prices that are unjustifiably low based on their intrinsic worth.

Buffett, however, isn't concerned with the supply and demand intricacies of the stock market. In fact, he's not really concerned with the activities of the stock market at all. This is the implication in this paraphrase of his famous quote: "In the short term the market is a popularity contest; in the long term it is a weighing machine."

Read more: Warren Buffett: How He Does It https://www.investopedia...71801.asp#ixzz5DTzQlSrM

Finally:

Don't be a day trader
According to Buffett, the secret to getting a better return on investment is to buy a stock and forget about it. He believes in having a buy-and-hold mentality and insists on holding stocks for decades.

There are two principles behind this: (1) if you buy a stock for less than it's true worth, the stock's price will eventually converge with it's intrinsic value; and (2) if you buy a wonderful business, the value of that business will compound and increase exponentially the longer you hold on to it. So, the patient investor will ultimately be rewarded if they hold on to their stocks for a longer time. For Buffett, time is the friend of a wonderful business.

"If you aren't willing to own a stock for 10 years, don't even think about owning it for ten minutes."

He says that if you constantly buy and sell stocks, it'll take away a significant percentage of your returns in the form of trading commissions and taxes. So, it's better to buy great stocks and holding them for a long time.

@Obiero
Any comment on the above
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
sparkly
#9830 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 5:08:30 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@obiero

Finally:

Don't be a day trader

@Obiero
Any comment on the above

Obiero is married to KQ. He cant see, cant hear any wrong
obiero
#9831 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 5:30:24 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@obiero

Finally:

Don't be a day trader

@Obiero
Any comment on the above

@sparkly be easy
@ericsson warren buffet and his methods are for an investor meaning long term. however the market would not exist if daily/weekly/monthly/annual trades did not happen by/from people like myself and others.. its actually trash to state that you buy a share and not sell for decades, kwani ulinunua hio hisa basi ndio ikusaidie vipi?? my personal view is that one must buy low and sell high as frequently as possible. But I do respect the Oracle from Omaha and @vvs too.. Just different strategies

VituVingiSana
#9832 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 10:53:30 PM

Warren Buffett lessons:

The Market Can Price Things Wrong

“Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”

In other words, don’t focus on short-term swings in price, focus on the underlying value of your investment. “Beware the investment activity that produces applause; the great moves are usually greeted by yawns.”

KenRe [#BringBackMwarania] was a stock I picked as a core investment coz it got no applauses like Britam. It's P/B was 1.6-2.0 when I bought the shares. I admit the GoK interference is a drag.

KQ which I owned at one point was a "darling" that soared & then came crashing as corruption, egos and hubris took center-stage.

Buy Wonderful Companies

“It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price, than a fair company at a wonderful price.”

This quote is very interesting, as frequently, “value investors” will pass on anything that they cannot get for a deeply discounted price. Berkshire Hathaway has taken a different approach and instead focused on investing in the right companies.

(Folks asking me about TPSEA. Not only does it trade at discount to NAV, it is also a wonderful company notwithstanding the bumpy ride.)

KQ was a wonderful firm which was growing at a decent pace while remaining profitable and with a low debt:equity then came the greed and hubris that doomed it except for the bailout. It is at best "a fair company at a expensive price"
VituVingiSana
#9833 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 11:10:49 PM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@obiero

Finally:

Don't be a day trader

@Obiero
Any comment on the above

@sparkly be easy
@ericsson warren buffet and his methods are for an investor meaning long term. however the market would not exist if daily/weekly/monthly/annual trades did not happen by/from people like myself and others.. its actually trash to state that you buy a share and not sell for decades, kwani ulinunua hio hisa basi ndio ikusaidie vipi?? my personal view is that one must buy low and sell high as frequently as possible. But I do respect the Oracle from Omaha and @vvs too.. Just different strategies

Warren Buffett:
9) Invest for the Long Term
“Only buy something that you’d be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years.”

21) Invest Only in Companies You Know and Trust
“An investor should act as though he had a lifetime decision card with just twenty punches on it.”

27) Make Long-Term Investments Over Short Term Ones

“If you aren’t thinking about owning a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.”

Investing is not trading and has a vastly different goal, as trading, when done well, is about taking measured risks for discrete periods of time at sufficient volume as to generate profits, and typically involves wild swings in profitability. Investing is about minimizing risk to generate wealth over the long term, not generating short-term profits. Another great Buffett quote in this vein: “The stock market is designed to transfer money from the active to the patient.”
Ebenyo
#9834 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:20:12 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VyaBureSiachi wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@obiero

Finally:

Don't be a day trader

@Obiero
Any comment on the above

@sparkly be easy

Warren Buffett:
9) Invest for the Long Term
“Only buy something that you’d be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years.”

21) Invest Only in Companies You Know and Trust
“An investor should act as though he had a lifetime decision card with just twenty punches on it.”

27) Make Long-Term Investments Over Short Term Ones

“If you aren’t thinking about owning a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.”

Investing is not trading and has a vastly different goal, as trading, when done well, is about taking measured risks for discrete periods of time at sufficient volume as to generate profits, and typically involves wild swings in profitability. Investing is about minimizing risk to generate wealth over the long term, not generating short-term profits. Another great Buffett quote in this vein: “The stock market is designed to transfer money from the active to the patient.”

These are good lessons from Warren Buffet on long term investment.
Going by his methods of picking a stock,i wonder how many stocks in NSE will meet his criteria.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#9835 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:00:18 AM

@Ebenyo - I know of at least one which one will not make the cut ;-)
Ebenyo
#9836 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:11:18 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Towards the goal of financial freedom
obiero
#9837 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:55:10 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

I look at some of the comments on this thread and wonder what people will say when the Open Offer is announced. There was the first chance for all and sundry to make a quick kill during restructure when some folks here swore that KQ will touch KES 2.10 but it did not, rather it went up to KES 18.75 within seven days of relisting!!! Now there will be clueless others waiting for KQ to dip sub Open Offer price projected at KES 5.00 by the exchange bar, but I could bet you my entire earthly belongings that these persons will be shocked to see KES 21 or higher print in the run up to book closure. Thank me later/soon

VyaBureSiachi
#9838 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 3:18:30 PM

obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

I look at some of the comments on this thread and wonder what people will say when the Open Offer is announced. There was the first chance for all and sundry to make a quick kill during restructure when some folks here swore that KQ will touch KES 2.10 but it did not, rather it went up to KES 18.75 within seven days of relisting!!! Now there will be clueless others waiting for KQ to dip sub Open Offer price projected at KES 5.00 by the exchange bar, but I could bet you my entire earthly belongings that these persons will be shocked to see KES 21 or higher print in the run up to book closure. Thank me later/soon

Ile pesa tutavuna hapa tutahitaji magunia kubeba.
Let's keep amassing more shares as the delay of the open offer knocks out more holders
If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky that would be like the splendour of the mighty one.
sparkly
#9839 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:00:24 PM

VyaBureSiachi wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Let's keep amassing more shares as the delay of the open offer knocks out more holders

Kwani ni mashilingi.
Stiffler
#9840 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:14:03 PM

VyaBureSiachi wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

I thought the open Offer would be for the Existing Shareholders at Consolidation. Hence Selling/buying more shares now doesn't not affect the Shares one is entitled to at Open Offer