wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How to determine the kind of flats to construct
Edwin Smith
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:23:10 AM

I have a 40 by 60 plot in Kahawa Sukari Mwihoko on which I intend to construct flats in the near future.

I however have a number of questions about the kind of flats to construct:

1. How many floors are allowed for this area?
2. Which are the best units (number of bedrooms) for this area in terms of occupancy and tenants preference?
3. How many units can this piece of land accommodate?
4. Any insights about rental houses in this area?
5. What is the average construction cost in the area for flats on such a piece of land?
6. What are the parking requirements for the area?

Any information on the above issues will be highly appreciated.
mikanjoroge
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 8:11:31 AM

Edwin Smith wrote:
I have a 40 by 60 plot in Kahawa Sukari Mwihoko on which I intend to construct flats in the near future.

2. Which are the best units (number of bedrooms) for this area in terms of occupancy and tenants preference?
5. What is the average construction cost in the area for flats on such a piece of land?

I can give you my 2 cents tips on question number 2. I have not been to Kahawa Sukari in a long time. But, you can move around in that area and look at the apartments and find out the property management (rent collection agency). Sometimes it is posted on gate. Then approach the agency (they usually have offices nearby), charm/sweet talk them or buy them some lunch. They will tell you what is in demand and rental ranges and give you some tips.
Edwin Smith
#3 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 1:55:18 PM

mikanjoroge wrote:
Edwin Smith wrote:

I can give you my 2 cents tips on question number 2. I have not been to Kahawa Sukari in a long time. But, you can move around in that area and look at the apartments and find out the property management (rent collection agency). Sometimes it is posted on gate. Then approach the agency (they usually have offices nearby), charm/sweet talk them or buy them some lunch. They will tell you what is in demand and rental ranges and give you some tips.

Thanks, I will definitely do that.
obiero
#4 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 3:13:02 PM

Edwin Smith wrote:
mikanjoroge wrote:
Edwin Smith wrote:

Thanks, I will definitely do that.

That's a good tip in terms of the agency route. A formal project assessment may be needed incase little is known about the viability of the venture

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
tony stark
#5 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:40:00 PM

Edwin Smith wrote:

Be serious!
Hii ni kitu ya ground work. Go and look. Look for apartments in the area. You might have to pay someone but you get access to flats and you can see the design, rent etc.
Just go out. The spreadsheet wont answer your questions nor will Wazua.
Angelica _ann
#6 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:57:18 PM

tony stark wrote:
Edwin Smith wrote:

Be serious!
Hii ni kitu ya ground work. Go and look. Look for apartments in the area. You might have to pay someone but you get access to flats and you can see the design, rent etc.

I thought so, you can even jifanya tenant looking for a house. Then you pay an agent who takes to various houses yawa!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#7 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 9:16:23 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
tony stark wrote:
Edwin Smith wrote:

Be serious!

I thought so, you can even jifanya tenant looking for a house. Then you pay an agent who takes to various houses yawa!!!

1. How many floors are allowed for this area? You can only find out from the county land office as zoning laws vary. DO NOT look at a neighbor who has gone up to 5th floor and imagine that his/her property is legitimate in zoning law
3. How many units can this piece of land accommodate? You may have a clue easily, but you require an architect to determine best land use dimension, angles for light maximization, parking space provision etc..

However, you may also chose to just trust your instincts and the walk around that @angel suggests. After all, this is Africa!

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Edwin Smith
#8 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 1:35:27 PM

tony stark wrote:
Edwin Smith wrote:

Be serious!

I will definitely do the ground work but I was also hoping to get insights from people who might have done constructions in the same area.