wazua Tue, Apr 30, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<34567>
Mjengo ianze! Penny-Stocker and other gurus, help!
obiero
#81 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:52:53 AM

mikanjoroge wrote:
I am not sure why he is not registered. But NCA guys expect people on site to be registered. Foreman is known all over neighborhood.Usually has more than one project at a time. Or maybe he doesn't care. SE came during measurement of foundation, foundation stage (digging), laying of initial wires and big "ndorango" (sic) stones. He has a ledger where he records his observations and instructions to fundi and signs off. SE has given good tips. SE is pleased with the foreman. They don't know each other, unless they are putting on an elaborate show. (then they deserve oscar awards). I didn't know you could register fundi yourself. I thought onus is on fundi to seek registration. Maybe it is easier. I would say project is semi-visible a little hidden but still on a road that can be seen. Yes, the main supervisor is structural engineer. People in that area love gossip. So who knows how they knew. Plus some govt employees may be looking for "tea" or "petrol" so this possibly gives them hawk-eye-incentives to find up-coming buildings that may be missing paperwork.

Registration and proper paperwork is everything.. The government can collapse your dream, literally

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
edwinmukiri
#82 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:24:26 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:

Who is your Architect and how much did he charge you for the architectal drawing?

He charged me an arm and a leg but that part was worth it because the finished design met and exceeded my expectations.

Do you mind giving me a range if you are not comfortable mentioning the actual amount he charged you for the design?
Bulls make money,bears make money and pigs get slaughtered.
Chaka
#83 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:29:23 AM

Or as a %age of project cost?

edwinmukiri wrote:

Do you mind giving me a range if you are not comfortable mentioning the actual amount he charged you for the design?

Swenani
#84 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:41:41 AM

edwinmukiri wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:

Who is your Architect and how much did he charge you for the architectal drawing?

He charged me an arm and a leg but that part was worth it because the finished design met and exceeded my expectations.

Architectural fees vary depending on so many factors including
1. How loaded/clueless you are perceived to be
2. Whether the architect is your friend or not
3.Legally, it is supposed to 6% of the project costs

I got my architectural plans, Structural plans, mechanical layouts and electrical plans all at 50K due to reason number 3 above excluding site supervisions. Site supervisions are 4K each for architect and SE per visit. Regardless of how much you pay, the architect should visit the site before drawing the plans.

BTW I saw someone hawking architectural plans in Nairobi CBD at ranging from Kshs 500 to Kshs 5K
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
MugundaMan
#85 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:58:27 AM

Chaka wrote:
Or as a %age of project cost?

Approximately 2 % of entire project cost. Too high IMHO.
jgithige
#86 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:34:13 PM

Am seeking info in regard to NEMA approval. Am currently starting a mjengo in Machakos County my drawings have been approved and now am targeting to get the NEMA approvals. Any leads will be much welcome maybe ata cost estimate. My project is 3 storey.
"Blowing out someone else candle won't make yours shine brighter"-Anonymous
Swenani
#87 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:55:41 PM

jgithige wrote:
Am seeking info in regard to NEMA approval. Am currently starting a mjengo in Machakos County my drawings have been approved and now am targeting to get the NEMA approvals. Any leads will be much welcome maybe ata cost estimate. My project is 3 storey.

Hire an environmental consultant registered by NEMA,since your project seems to be a small project, an EIA report will suffice instead of an EIA study

The NEMA fees were scrapped but you will need to grease somebody's hands to get the signature.

However, The consultant fees will vary either as a lumpsum or a daily fee rate. I paid 40K lumpsum figure
jgithige
#88 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:56:27 PM

Swenani wrote:
jgithige wrote:

Hire an environmental consultant registered by NEMA,since your project seems to be a small project, an EIA report will suffice instead of an EIA study

The NEMA fees were scrapped but you will need to grease somebody's hands to get the signature.

However, The consultant fees will vary either as a lumpsum or a daily fee rate. I paid 40K lumpsum figure

Thenks
"Blowing out someone else candle won't make yours shine brighter"-Anonymous
obiero
#89 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:13:56 PM

jgithige wrote:
Swenani wrote:
jgithige wrote:

Thenks

If you know the right people you may not have to grease anyone's hand

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
RIEK01
#90 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:51:59 PM

Try this guys, they will sort you.

http://moksconsulting.com/contact-us/
edwinmukiri
#91 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 5:59:23 PM

Swenani wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:

I got my architectural plans, Structural plans, mechanical layouts and electrical plans all at 50K due to reason number 3 above excluding site supervisions. Site supervisions are 4K each for architect and SE per visit. Regardless of how much you pay, the architect should visit the site before drawing the plans.

BTW I saw someone hawking architectural plans in Nairobi CBD at ranging from Kshs 500 to Kshs 5K

How will you know the project cost when you do not even have the drawings so as to calculate the 6%?
Bulls make money,bears make money and pigs get slaughtered.
Thitifini
#92 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:22:55 PM

edwinmukiri wrote:
Swenani wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:

How will you know the project cost when you do not even have the drawings so as to calculate the 6%?

If charging a % of total, they usually do a sketch and estimate the plinth area which they use to estimate the project costs.

But as indicated above, Archs can vary the amount depending on many reasons.

Got some wonderful plans at 40k sometime in 2016, but when I reffered the guy to a friend he quoted 200k....

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
Swenani
#93 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:15:41 PM

Thitifini wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:
Swenani wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:

If charging a % of total, they usually do a sketch and estimate the plinth area which they use to estimate the project costs.

Got some wonderful plans at 40k sometime in 2016, but when I reffered the guy to a friend he quoted 200k....

Moreover,the 6%is not paid upfront,you pay an installment/percentage when plans are drawn/presented and the rest is paid during project life.

The 6% in this case is inclusive of supervision checks-according to my understanding
Gatheuzi
#94 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:35:19 PM

Swenani wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:
Swenani wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
edwinmukiri wrote:

Moreover,the 6%is not paid upfront,you pay an installment/percentage when plans are drawn/presented and the rest is paid during project life.

The 6% in this case is inclusive of supervision checks-according to my understanding

An architecht friend charged me 50K for a project back in 2014 but asked me never to tell anyone. "If someone asks you how much I charged, tell then 150K".

I therefore knew an armslength transaction would have been 150K. I however had to pay him 4K for each site visit during construction.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
bartum
#95 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 12:27:12 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Depends on the size of your project,if small,find an architect and structural engineer who is willing to be paid per visit rather than a full time architect and structural engineer.

Thanks Swenani,
I will do exactly that. It's a small project (double story, single family home) that I intend to move the family into to begin with. Once I have some experience with this one, I will start focusing on bigger rental projects, God willing. I like the advice Penny-Stocker and others gave that the biggest step is just getting started. To all those with the same dream I say let us go for it. Time waits for no man (or woman.) Let's keep each other motivated, give each other ideas in true Wazua spirit and update each other on progress.

Where is the link to that thread
bartum
#96 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 12:36:11 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
@mugundaman, if:
1. you cannot tell the difference between white, brown or grey sands,
2. you cannot tell the difference between course and fine sand and in which parts of the building they are suitable to be used,
3. you cannot tell the difference between a masonry and RC wall,
4. you cannot decode the information from the structural engineers designs/drawings
5. you cannot tell the difference between the upper and lower strata natural stone
6. you cannot tell the difference between Ceramic, Granite, Travertine, Porcelain, Pebble and Stone Tile and where they are used within the building,
7. you cannot tell the difference between the various types of paints and where they are applied within the building,
8. you cannot tell the different types of MDFs and block boards in the market

then your presence at the construction site will add no value at all to the execution and the quality of the works and you might just end up with a more expensive project than you would have had when the professionals that you are trying to avoid were on board.

Kigangio,
I know we are eating your goat by cutting you guys out of the picture Laughing out loudly but the things above are not rocket science, brother. I saw a brilliant thread by kina pablo a few years ago that I have saved to donate to my future grandkids as one of the most valuable threads on cyberspace. It shed clean, dazzling light on the massive conmanship being pulled on the average Joe by the so called "professionals" in the mjengo industry. Sorry but I will not part with even a glittering ndururu more for my project than necessary by hiring those vultures beyond the absolute minimum possible that is necessary by our good laws.

Where is the link to that thread, I want to do some revision
Chaka
#97 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 2:08:16 PM

@FRM2011,
Still waiting for this...
Chaka wrote:
Where is he based?send me his contacts,chakacrafts at gmail dot com

FRM2011 wrote:

For those who have projects running at the moment, I have a guy who can "better" your best offer on machine-cut stones, ballast and cement. Savings of over 20% on these materials.

MugundaMan
#98 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 6:19:10 PM

bartum wrote:

Where is the link to that thread, I want to do some revision

Enjoy, bradza:

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=6075

Amazingly I still refer to this thread every few months despite having read it the first time years ago. It's a long read but worth every minute spent on it.
MugundaMan
#99 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:51:02 AM

Here is a "silly" question. I made the mistake of not including a SQ cum security guard house in my architectural plans. It will be very tiny (4 x 6m at most) Does this need additional approvals as well or can I just go ahead and build on the strength that the main house has been approved? What about that tiny security guard thing attached to the gate..needs approvals too? Nines foundation, machine cut walling, iron sheet roof on both.
hardwood
#100 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:31:33 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Here is a "silly" question. I made the mistake of not including a SQ cum security guard house in my architectural plans. It will be very tiny (4 x 6m at most) Does this need additional approvals as well or can I just go ahead and build on the strength that the main house has been approved? What about that tiny security guard thing attached to the gate..needs approvals too? Nines foundation, machine cut walling, iron sheet roof on both.

All structures need approval. Even wall ya compound.