Lolest!
#41 Posted : Saturday, September 02, 2017 12:14:38 AM

TUPAC wrote:
murchr wrote:
Elder wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
specky wrote:
I hear that bamboo tree is the in thing.......just check it out and let us know your findings...good luck

I've heard that as well but am not able to get first hand info. Anyone???

doing research on this too. I read somewhere in the net that some guy is growing seedlings in Kajiado. Looking forward to visiting him. The uses for Bamboo are many and varied but info is scarce in Kenya.

Also researching on this. Called the Kajiado guy (Kitili Farm) but had issues in communication so intend to go to the farm and check it out.

Some info:
Organic Farmer Magazine - Bamboo in Kenya
Kefri on Bamboo
Hortinews on Bamboo
PDF Bamboo resources

After research, did you follow it with action? How is the going? I want to get into this. Is there a ready market? With so much real estate going on, is there anyone processing bamboo to usable items?

Anyone with info on Bamboo farming?

Visit Kefri Muthaiga. I visited Kitil in 2013 and didn't like them. They actually have more eucalyptus than bamboo but specialize ib selling bamboo seedlings
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Gathige
#42 Posted : Saturday, September 02, 2017 2:05:24 PM

If you want to do an indigenous forest, which is the best, unless you are interested in a commercial enterprise, the best trees to use are the locally growing trees rater than introducing new varieties. Based on your locality, you can visit KFS nurseries for advice and local tree nurseries.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Lolest!
#43 Posted : Sunday, September 03, 2017 4:07:26 PM

Seen on the SN an article claiming farmers in Nyandarua are switching to Bamboo from potato farming because of expected yields of 400k per acre per year
omhangla
#44 Posted : Monday, September 04, 2017 10:19:52 AM

Should have planted macadamia trees. The grafted ones takes only four years and you start harvesting and they could be laughing all the way to the bank now. For example, for this year, KG of macadamia was going for 150 shillings and one could harvest around 50-100kgs depending on the tree. An acre can hold more than 100 trees. Do the maths And Maragwa has one of the best macadamia trees and the main processors are located those sides
wa P
#45 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2018 11:13:08 AM

This rain should not go to waste.

Nani 'tasaidia na botanical name of 'muu" tree?

And who can comment on availability of Paulownia elongata
seedlings in or around Nairobi? (now that the Jamhuri nurseries have been dispersed by Ngong road works.
Spikes
#46 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2018 4:12:18 PM

I planted eucalyptus 5acres last year.I'll start first harvest after trees years. Second harvest after 7years and final harvest after 10years. Expected total income over shs 35million.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
Lolest!
#47 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2018 4:52:18 PM

Spikes wrote:
I planted eucalyptus 5acres last year.I'll start first harvest after trees years. Second harvest after 7years and final harvest after 10years. Expected total income over shs 35million.

3 years?Please explain
murchr
#48 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2018 5:16:15 PM

wa P wrote:

seedlings in or around Nairobi? (now that the Jamhuri nurseries have been dispersed by Ngong road works.

"Muu tree" - Markhamia lutea

http://www4.total.fr/pdf...e-tree-datasheet2009.pdf
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Lolest!
#49 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2018 5:19:05 PM

wa P wrote:

Visit KFS Muthaiga for all your seedling needs. Or check Tree Biotechnology lots of species
wa P
#50 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 6:36:49 PM

murchr wrote:
[quote=wa P]This rain should not go to waste.

"Muu tree" - Markhamia lutea

http://www4.total.fr/pdf...-tree-datasheet2009.pdf[/quote]

Thanks. Awesome. With that I have already found seedlings.
wa P
#51 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 6:42:12 PM

Lolest! wrote:
wa P wrote:

Visit KFS Muthaiga for all your seedling needs. Or check Tree Biotechnology lots of species

I visited KFS Muthaiga but found poor nurseries and unknowledgeable staff. They are big on eucalyptus.

Best experience was KFS Lenana. Wide variety, well tended nurseries etc. Great presentation on indigenous trees and their economics.

Found just about 4 seedlings of Paulownia at Eastern bypass nurseries. They wrongly call it mvule.
Mukiri
#52 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:53:21 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Spikes wrote:

3 years?Please explain

3 years should be the thinner fencing/construction poles, 5 the much thicker fencing poles whilst 10 is the yuge electricity ones. With Arap Singh in the picture, the 10 year ones might be rendered obsolete with the advent of concrete poles.

Proverbs 19:21
kawi254
#53 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2018 10:16:27 PM

The recent rains in Makueni while appreciated have caused much erosion of the river bank causing the river bed to widen.

What trees can be planted on a sand river bed to try and reclaim land that the recent rains(floods) have grabbed? Between now and the short rains in November the plants need to have established. In My Makueni locality people plant kitethia and miangi (sp) ....want to check on other plants/trees that can be planted on a sandy river bed and would get established in a few months
KulaRaha
#54 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2018 8:11:59 AM

There is a lady I met who has a private nursery and is very knowledgeable about trees. She is part of a conservation trust and can assist.

Inbox me at dropmyload at gmail dot com for her details.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Mukiri
#55 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:40:58 AM

kawi254 wrote:
The recent rains in Makueni while appreciated have caused much erosion of the river bank causing the river bed to widen.

What trees can be planted on a sand river bed to try and reclaim land that the recent rains(floods) have grabbed? Between now and the short rains in November the plants need to have established. In My Makueni locality people plant kitethia and miangi (sp) ....want to check on other plants/trees that can be planted on a sandy river bed and would get established in a few months

Permanent river? Hasn't Eucalyptus been the to-go tree for water-logged areas? Fast growing, heavy feeder, very marketable.

kawi254
#56 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:13:32 PM

Mukiri wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

Permanent river? Hasn't Eucalyptus been the to-go tree for water-logged areas? Fast growing, heavy feeder, very marketable.

No, you can't plant Eucalyptus next to a river bed. It is a seasonal river.

Eucalyptus are political; when the river runs dry everyone will blame the Eucalyptus trees. Indigenous trees are OK, but they grow slowly. Will try out Melia Volkensii (mukau)
Mukiri
#57 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:25:15 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

No, you can't plant Eucalyptus next to a river bed. It is a seasonal river.

Eucalyptus are political; when the river runs dry everyone will blame the Eucalyptus trees. Indigenous trees are OK, but they grow slowly. Will try out Melia Volkensii (mukau)

Melia is a wonderful treeApplause Drought resistant too.

murchr
#58 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 7:05:49 PM

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
kawi254
#59 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 7:39:20 PM

murchr wrote:

I actually met Him in Karura Tree Bio-tech nursery in April while I was buying tree Seedlings and only realized who He was much later when I saw Him in the press - so down to earth
Mukiri
#60 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 7:56:25 PM

kawi254 wrote:
murchr wrote:

I actually met Him in Karura Tree Bio-tech nursery in April while I was buying tree Seedlings and only realized who He was much later when I saw Him in the press - so down to earth

As rich as he is, theft should tell him something. Don't grow alone! Grow with your neighbours. Buy them seedling to plant or better yet set up a point for germination and grafting of seedlings