wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Goodwill for shops in town
Robinhood
#1 Posted : Friday, June 04, 2010 3:19:15 PM

I have just been shown some stall in town where the owner is asking for Kshs 1.3m goodwill - the stall faces the street and measures roughly 7feet by 5 feet.

Someone is making a killing with with goodwill thing. I estimate that that fellow will make Kshs 5m from a space only slightly larger than my living room!!!!

Jameni,starting a biz especially in the CBD is becoming near impossible coz of this goodwill monster.Shame on you
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Phaoro
#2 Posted : Friday, June 04, 2010 6:45:22 PM

@ Robinhood yeah the goodwill for the some of the stalls is over the top. Many enterpreneurs wamechomeka with those stalls, but there are some that make it.
Jkwaititu
#3 Posted : Friday, June 04, 2010 10:13:21 PM

@Robinhood, one reason why goodwill prices are high in CBD is that the returns are astronomical.

I have a friend who sold a plot in 2000 and paid 3m goodwill for a nice shop in river road. Today, he has parlayed that 1 shop into 4 shops...and the most recent one is a mega shop on moi avenue which he paid 6m goodwill. He says that off all his shops, no shop does better than the old shop in river road, which he pays a monthly rent of 220k a month, but the shop does sales of even 60-80k per day!

1.3m is nothing for goodwill in tao my friend. If u have it, and the shop is infront of high traffic street, pay it and work hard in that business. Take care of it kama maziwa kwa stove, and u will succeed. Good luck.
VituVingiSana
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:15:10 AM

Krazy shyte! 1.3mn for 35 sq meters????
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kadonye
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:34:19 AM

Goodwill is usually charged on the first tenant of a space and consecutive tenants only pay the outgoing tenant.It is just normal business practice which is not recognised in official real estate practice.Most people dont even give receipts for it!It was much of a 3rd world Nairobi thing(ie moi ave tom mboya river road etc)but it is now very much present in 1st world Nairobi.For guys to be willing to pay 200000 for a tuckshop,they must be making a kill from it
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Kamaa
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 9:01:54 AM

and if you ask me this monster need to be contained....

these house owners...!
When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
VituVingiSana
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 9:32:23 AM

@kadonye - Goodwill is goodwill... no matter who you pay it to...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett