wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The future? EAC Stock Exchange - Cross listings?
VituVingiSana
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:21:46 PM

I just read this article on CBA's acquisition of Crane Bank's assets in Rwanda done via dfcu.

https://www.businessdail...50690-pjo6gv/index.html

With the surfeit of listings on the NSE, we need more cross-border listings like Umeme. I do not know what ails the trading of Umeme shares on the NSE but we have 50-ish listings on the NSE of which 10-15 are moribund. As firms de-list [Unga might do so], the "investable" universe is shrinking.

If only we had an "EAC" exchange that allowed Kenyans to invest in UG, TZ (that's a tough one under Magufuli) and RW to increase our "investable universe" and provide capital to firms in other countries.

Uganda has some decent firms like dfcu Ltd/Bank, Stanbic UG, BoBU (Bank of Baroda UG), etc

Tanzania has some decent banks, Tanzania Breweries, etc. And mobile phone providers have to go public.

Rwanda has Bank of Kigali, etc

The mechanism would have to be worked out but with technology, Mobile Money, KE banks with subsidiaries in EAC, etc I hope we see a robust integration (soon) with our neighbors.

For any Ugandans (or Kenyans in UG) on here... why would dfcu sell its Rwandan business/branches to CBA?
Or are UG businesses seen in Rwanda the same way Kenyans are viewed in TZ?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Fyatu
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:29:35 PM

Seconded.However, TZ will be a pain as correctly stated.I for instance would not hesitate investing in CRDB bank or Tigo heavily. In other news, African heads of state are in Kigali to sign a free trade treaty across the continent. If there is adequate commitment then we (capitalist wazuans) stand a chance of making money.I'm encouraged to see that Zimbambwe and SA are represented by their heads of state.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:48:43 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Seconded.However, TZ will be a pain as correctly stated.I for instance would not hesitate investing in CRDB bank or Tigo heavily. In other news, African heads of state are in Kigali to sign a free trade treaty across the continent. If there is adequate commitment then we (capitalist wazuans) stand a chance of making money.I'm encouraged to see that Zimbambwe and SA are represented by their heads of state.

Zuma and Mugabe were 2 peas in a pod!
I like Ian Khama (of Botswana) but he retires soon after this term is over.
Of course, there's visionary and disciplined Paul Kagame.

From the EAC, we should expand include Zambia and Zimbabwe. The latter has/had an active stock exchange. The sooner the better.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Fyatu
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:29:28 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Zuma and Mugabe were 2 peas in a pod!
I like Ian Khama (of Botswana) but he retires soon after this term is over.
Of course, there's visionary and disciplined Paul Kagame.

From the EAC, we should expand include Zambia and Zimbabwe. The latter has/had an active stock exchange. The sooner the better.

I admire this man and secretly wish he was number1 here in KE. Did you know that you can buy/lease a 50 by 100 plot in kigali as if you were Rwandese national bila mambo mingi? You can actually relocate to Rwanda and continue chasing your dreams seamlessly as if you were in Kenya(minus our usual tabia mbaya of corruption and not following the rule of law). I also suspect that they don't charge EAC nationals capital gain tax in their stock exchange. Uhuru told us that he will allow foreigners(Africans) to get Visa on arrival and also he will allow other Africans to purchase land without too much fuss...i have not heard of any bill in parliament to this effect...ama it was a roadside declaration akin to those of Baba Moi days? Ian Khama is special. He seems to be in his own league as compared to other African heads of state but i think he is lucky to have been Bots president. I bet that if he was the Kenyan president then our ukabila and endless politicking would have made his presidency problematic
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money