Kenya Re - 2018 and beyond
Ericsson
#41 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:16:09 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Cash (liquidity, bonds) - There's almost 20/- in cash (& near-cash) in KenRe's books.

Construction - KenRe wanted to build a new tower in Upper Hill. Bad idea as there is an over-supply of office space as well as the potential for corruption as the contracts are handed out to favorite sons.

Land - I expect land acquisitions to jump. Of course, we know that KenRe had to clean its books of shady deals/purchases. The cycle could start again.

@vvs
we wait to see,some of the things you are mentioning are speculations
Give me an example of a single GoK controlled (listed) institution that hasn't been pillaged or mismanaged.
Mismanaged/pillaged:
KQ
NBK
KPLC
KenGen [needed a massive restructuring to convert debt to equity]

The fault is mine. I got complacent when I saw longevity in the MD's tenure and what seemed a relatively clean firm. Apart from the history [before my time] of poor (scam) land investments, I had not come across a scandal in KenRe. I should have learnt my lesson with earlier investments in GoK controlled/influenced firms and NEVER put money into a GoK controlled listed firm.

I cannot even sell out as the demand is quite muted.

@vvs
Even private firms have been mismanaged.Mismanagement I can't single out GoK firms only,even in private companies it's there.
Look at ARM,Olympia Capital,Transcentury,Home Afrika,Atlas Developmet,Hutchings Biemer,Nakumatt etc.

I would suggest you look at each company uniquely for any trace of mismanagement.
Even the kenol kobil you talk about Jacob Segman was nearly finishing it off

Give me 2 examples of listed (GoK controlled or heavily influenced) entities (except KenRe) that hasn't been mismanaged. I don't know any [except KenRe] that haven't had to be bailed out.

You know I have excluded "scams" like Merali from my investment list. Other exclusions are the "GEMS" like NBV and Kurwitu.

Private firms: The record despite the hiccups [which will happen] is much better.
BAT
EABL
KK [no bailout, led to the brink by Segman's hedges but has recovered nicely]
Safaricom [Controlled by Vodafone]
Equity
DTB
Jubilee
Unga [this was almost taken to the cleaners but survived after Seaboard seconded Nick Hutchinson]
FTGH [slow start but seems to be on the right track despite the hiccups]

And many, many more.

Safaricom was a state corporation until 2008.
It was 60% owned by Telkom Kenya which was 100% owned by GoK
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#42 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:28:03 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Cash (liquidity, bonds) - There's almost 20/- in cash (& near-cash) in KenRe's books.

Construction - KenRe wanted to build a new tower in Upper Hill. Bad idea as there is an over-supply of office space as well as the potential for corruption as the contracts are handed out to favorite sons.

Land - I expect land acquisitions to jump. Of course, we know that KenRe had to clean its books of shady deals/purchases. The cycle could start again.

@vvs
Give me an example of a single GoK controlled (listed) institution that hasn't been pillaged or mismanaged.
Mismanaged/pillaged:
KQ
NBK
KPLC

The fault is mine. I got complacent when I saw longevity in the MD's tenure and what seemed a relatively clean firm. Apart from the history [before my time] of poor (scam) land investments, I had not come across a scandal in KenRe. I should have learnt my lesson with earlier investments in GoK controlled/influenced firms and NEVER put money into a GoK controlled listed firm.

@vvs
Even private firms have been mismanaged.Mismanagement I can't single out GoK firms only,even in private companies it's there.
Look at ARM,Olympia Capital,Transcentury,Home Afrika,Atlas Developmet,Hutchings Biemer,Nakumatt etc.

I would suggest you look at each company uniquely for any trace of mismanagement.

Give me 2 examples of listed (GoK controlled or heavily influenced) entities (except KenRe) that hasn't been mismanaged. I don't know any [except KenRe] that haven't had to be bailed out.

You know I have excluded "scams" like Merali from my investment list. Other exclusions are the "GEMS" like NBV and Kurwitu.

Private firms: The record despite the hiccups [which will happen] is much better.
BAT
EABL
Equity
DTB
Jubilee
Unga [this was almost taken to the cleaners but survived after Seaboard seconded Nick Hutchinson]

And many, many more.

Was Safaricom profitable before Vodafone came in?
[MJ said when he took over Safaricom, it was a mess. MJ was seconded by Vodafone who had control]
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Fyatu
#43 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:28:33 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
So when a cement's company sees an opportunity in manufacturing clinker both for own use and for sale and goes ahead and invests heavily only for a few headwinds to hit the business later then this is equated as mismanagement by the so called wazua elders??

@Fyatu the clinker story is to cover our faces.

I have investigated ARM for some time now. I am a strong believer of cement business and heavily invested(ABP 11bob). I can tell you for a fact that if Magufuli allows coal importation to ease coal shortage in TZ then ARM will return to profitability. My biggest worry is that i no longer see ARM cement in hardwares. Most retail cement is either Mombasa cement, Portland or Simba depending of where you live in Kenya.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
sparkly
#44 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:30:34 AM

The Cartels win. My Kenya Re shares are now reclassified as Available for Sale.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#45 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:38:02 AM

Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
So when a cement's company sees an opportunity in manufacturing clinker both for own use and for sale and goes ahead and invests heavily only for a few headwinds to hit the business later then this is equated as mismanagement by the so called wazua elders??

I have investigated ARM for some time now. I am a strong believer of cement business and heavily invested(ABP 11bob). I can tell you for a fact that if Magufuli allows coal importation to ease coal shortage in TZ then ARM will return to profitability. My biggest worry is that i no longer see ARM cement in hardwares. Most retail cement is either Mombasa cement, Portland or Simba depending of where you live in Kenya.

There lies your answer
VituVingiSana
#46 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:39:28 AM

sparkly wrote:

That's my point. All the rest is "window dressing"
[Unless, there's a clear cut case that Mwarania was incompetent or corrupt]

If he was not competent then when did the "Board" figure it out?
Aren't there assessments?
Why not ease him out for "personal reasons" [the impromptu firing causes jitters]?

If corrupt, then it should be for us to see. Or say so in the press release.

I admit to my error of holding KenRe as a core holding.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#47 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:41:20 AM

"Charlie and I look for companies that have a) a business we understand; b) favorable long-term economics; c) able and trustworthy management, and d) a sensible price tag. We like to buy the whole business or if management is our partner, at least 80%. When control-type purchases of quality aren't available, though, we are also happy to simply buy small portions of great businesses by way of stock market purchases. It's better to have a part interest in the Hope Diamond than to own all of a rhinestone."
- Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#48 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:42:40 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@vvs
Mismanaged/pillaged:
KQ
NBK
KPLC

@vvs

BAT
EABL
Equity
DTB
Jubilee

And many, many more.

Was Safaricom profitable before Vodafone came in?
[MJ said when he took over Safaricom, it was a mess. MJ was seconded by Vodafone who had control]

Safaricom how MJ came into the picture maybe I discuss it in another topic about safaricom.
For now lets stick to kenya re.
FYI MJ was seconded by Vodafone when they acquired a stake in safaricom.
Ericsson
#49 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:51:19 AM

https://www.cover.co.za/...redit-ratings-kenya-re/

A.M. Best has downgraded the Financial Strength Rating to B (Fair) from B+ (Good) and the Long-Term Issuer Rating to bb+ from bbb- of Kenya Reinsurance Corporation Limited (Kenya Re) (Kenya). The outlook of these Credit Ratings (ratings) has been revised to stable from negative.

The ratings reflect Kenya Re’s balance sheet strength, which A.M. Best categorises as very strong, as well as its adequate operating performance, neutral business profile and weak enterprise risk management (ERM).

The rating actions are the result of A.M. Best’s concerns over the effectiveness of Kenya Re’s ERM in the face of expected business growth and increasingly sophisticated competition. Additionally, there are uncertainties related to the company’s ability to grow its capital resources at the same rate that it increases its revenue over the longer term.
Ericsson
#50 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:11:17 PM

https://citizentv.co.ke/business/kenya-re-terminates-mds-contract-193428/

The Kenya Re Board terminated the contract of its long serving managing director for what it termed as failing to deliver on set goals.

The Monday announcement that Jediah Mwarania had left the firm with immediate effect caught many by surprise as he had served for the past seven years as MD.

According to Kenya Re the decision to terminate Mr Mwarania’s was based on the need to get fresh leadership to steer the reinsurer.

“The board reached its decision following a review of the corporations five year strategic plan and the milestones that the corporation is looking to achieve and in that view made the decision that Mr Mwarania had served his purpose and it’s time for the corporation to have a new mind at the helm,” Kenya Re corporate affairs manager Gladys Some-Mwagi said in a statement to newsrooms.

Mr Mwarania had worked at Kenya Re in different capacities for close to 20 years

Kenya Re board chairman David Kemei said Michael Mbeshi will step in as acting managing director as the board begins the recruitment process for a substantive replacement.

Mr Mbeshi is currently the property and administration general manager.

In February, American rating agency A.M. Best downgraded Kenya Re’s financial strength rating to B (Fair) from B+ (Good).

The agency cited concerns over Kenya Re’s enterprise risk management (ERM) in the face of expected business growth and increasingly sophisticated competition.

Kenya Re posted a Sh1.6 billion half year profit as gross written premiums went up to Sh7.5 billion.

The rating agency was also concerned by the reinsurer’s ability to grow capital resources at the same rate it grows its revenues.

With the exit of Mr Mwarania, Kenya Re said it would be looking to a new MD to grow its business.

“The board came to the decision that the corporation needs leadership that will steer the corporation towards achieving its objectives,” Ms Mwangi said.

Kenya Re is 60 percent owned by the National Treasury and currently has a concession to take up 20 percent of reinsurance business from other insurance firms
sparkly
#51 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:50:22 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Why not ease him out for "personal reasons" [the impromptu firing causes jitters]?

Between now and 2022 Kenya Re will be looted proper.

I am evaluating where to put my money after i liquidate my 15% portfolio in the company.
Life is short. Live passionately.
cyruskulei
#52 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:48:03 PM

I totally agree with your sentiments.
If you have a look at the shareholding structure, you will be shocked that the chairman of the board holds only a small quantity and he is the chair.

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Between now and 2022 Kenya Re will be looted proper.

I am evaluating where to put my money after i liquidate my 15% portfolio in the company.

Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

lochaz-index
#53 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:57:32 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

That last paragraph holds the answer where GoK stocks are concerned...non-core and strictly speculative.

Aside from the govt muck involved, Kenya Re has been a poor performer over the years. Even as a speculative pick it hardly inspires any risk taking.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
Ebenyo
#54 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:44:29 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

All the cement making companies in NSE are not doing well currently:
Bamburi-only depending on standard gauge railway tender.
Arm-broke cause of too much debts
Eapc-debts and mismanagement from Gok
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Ebenyo
#55 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:56:46 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Its risky to put a financial as a core holding.I also have kcb as my core holding comprising 29% of my portfolio.Im planning to change.I was thinking safaricom or kenol.Then valuation discouraged me but im waiting for full year results to make a decision.
I also decided to follow @Young advice of balancing between financials and industrials.
Financials-40% industrials-60%
murchr
#56 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:59:12 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

All the cement making companies in NSE are not doing well currently:
Bamburi-only depending on standard gauge railway tender.
Arm-broke cause of too much debts
Eapc-debts and mismanagement from Gok

There's a cement and ARM thread, feel free to take the discussion there.

And Admin, you're really slacking these days
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ebenyo
#57 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:59:36 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Its risky to put a financial as a core holding.I also have kcb as my core holding comprising 29% of my portfolio.Im planning to change.I was thinking safaricom or kenol.Then valuation discouraged me but im waiting for full year results to make a decision.
I also decided to follow @Young advice of balancing between financials and industrials.
Ericsson
#58 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:33:02 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Toa masaibu yako hapa ya core holdings.
Stick to the topic of Kenya Re
Ebenyo
#59 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:04:14 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Ericson has never shared his portfolio.Vvs is very transparent.We all know he is in Kenya re,kenol,equity,i&m,dtb,williamson,c&gand ftgh.
So it seems Ericson portfolio looks like this: Eaagads,olimpya,Eveready,express,kurwitu,atlas,rea vipingo and hutchings biemar.
Ericsson
#60 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:31:35 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:

I also decided to follow @Young advise e of balancing between financials and industrials.

Ericson has never shared his portfolio.Vvs is very transparent.We all know he is in Kenya re,kenol,equity,i&m,dtb,williamson,c&gand ftgh.
So it seems Ericson portfolio looks like this: Eaagads,olimpya,Eveready,express,kurwitu,atlas,rea vipingo and hutchings biemar.

@ Ebenyo
I've been sharing and even saying my next moves kama hujakuwa ukifuatilia shauri yako.