wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Random business idesas
deadpoet
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 11:46:10 PM

I find myself unable to sleep at the moment, and since I have several business ideas I have no money to actualize, I thought I'd share them with the wazua community. Maybe some of you could find some value in them.

So, in no particular order....

1. Brick laying machine (for roads/pavements):

https://www.google.com/s...k1j0i24k1.0.BJujd9KiGT0
Pretty much like the images. Apparently one machine can be configured to lay paths of different widths.

Pros: no similar machine locally
Cons: construction is a competitive industry, Kenya has a labour surplus, few barriers to entry.

2. Coinstar machine

Pretty much a machine similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVS5-GQ91vo

The idea would be to install something similar at supermarkets (Naivas, Tuskys?) where one could use unused one bobs/50 cents to get a coupon. I guess a machine could be configured for mpesa payments as well.

Cons: large upfront cost, what to do with the coins deposited, average transaction size will probably be in the <50 range.

3. Costume shop

No links for this idea. Basically a shop to order custom-made costumes (think priests, maids, comic superheroes, school uniforms, vampires, etc.)

Pros: virgin, untapped market
Cons: can't forecast sales, sales also probably seasonal, probably appeals most to those with, shall we say, active love lives?

4. Laundromat

You've all probably seen these on TV. Nuff said.

Pros: Convenience for flat dwellers without their own househelps
Cons: large upfront cost, high water usage, and success depends on location, location, location!

5. Indoor skydiving/vertical wind tunnel

This idea is for those of us with Ksh 200 million to burn. The idea would be to set up a local SkyVenture franchise.
https://www.google.com/s...mp;biw=1920&bih=951

Pros: weekend attraction for young families, east africa's first.
Coyns: doesn't appeal to the elderly (obviously), super large upfront cost.

So, that's it. The business ideas I scribble down on serviettes when I'm bored. What do you all think is the most viable?
deadpoet
#2 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:04:35 AM

One more, a bitcoin/crypotcurrency exchange agent/reseller, if cryptocurrencies are still a thing (a la belfrics).

"Money's only a thing you need in case you don't die tomorrow". - watching Wall Street at the moment.
Drobos fly
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:53:32 AM

I love number 5, been wandering when it will make a presence in this country
Stiffler
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:20:34 PM

deadpoet wrote:
I find myself unable to sleep at the moment, and since I have several business ideas I have no money to actualize, I thought I'd share them with the wazua community. Maybe some of you could find some value in them.

Pretty much like the images. Apparently one machine can be configured to lay paths of different widths.

Cons: construction is a competitive industry, Kenya has a labour surplus, few barriers to entry.

2. Coinstar machine

The idea would be to install something similar at supermarkets (Naivas, Tuskys?) where one could use unused one bobs/50 cents to get a coupon. I guess a machine could be configured for mpesa payments as well.

Cons: large upfront cost, what to do with the coins deposited, average transaction size will probably be in the <50 range.

3. Costume shop

No links for this idea. Basically a shop to order custom-made costumes (think priests, maids, comic superheroes, school uniforms, vampires, etc.)

Cons: can't forecast sales, sales also probably seasonal, probably appeals most to those with, shall we say, active love lives?

4. Laundromat

Cons: large upfront cost, high water usage, and success depends on location, location, location!

This idea is for those of us with Ksh 200 million to burn. The idea would be to set up a local SkyVenture franchise.

So, that's it. The business ideas I scribble down on serviettes when I'm bored. What do you all think is the most viable?

No. 1 looks pretty funtastic. As one with a career in Construction Biz, The posibilities there are endless ........
Swenani
#5 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 2:41:07 PM

deadpoet wrote:

2. Coinstar machine

3. Costume shop

4. Laundromat

No more mama fua

Quote:
A United States firm, Alliance Laundry Systems has launched the first-ever laundromats in Kenya.

The commercial laundry company is targeting entrepreneurs from urban centres in Kenya and will give them a full laundromat store. It will also provide operational and technical support to them.

The firm's Regional Sales Manager, Jean-Paul Mailhac said the demand for laundry services makes Kenya the ideal place to start a laundromat in the Sub-Saharan Africa.

“We have already witnessed that Kenyan entrepreneurs are passionate about a laundromat. Kenya is the country from where we have received the most inquiries by far. It is quickly becoming a need in this society as people spend a lot of time and effort on their looks,” Mr Mailhac said during the launch.

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
deadpoet
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 7:19:52 PM

6.Paint Protection Film

https://tinyurl.com/y8lcu8ln

The idea would be to offer the service to local buyers of luxury vehicles. Perhaps a deal with the Porsche dealer?

7. 'Fund raising' business

In short, bikini car wash. But for obvious reasons, can't be marketed as bikini car wash. So get a permit for a fund raising event at a good location - and how are you raising funds? ahem, bikini car wash! You could plan to do it over a single weekend only.... surprise motorists he he he

Input your good cause here:_____________
Mukiri
#7 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 2:50:00 PM

Swenani wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

2. Coinstar machine

3. Costume shop

4. Laundromat

No more mama fua

Quote:
A United States firm, Alliance Laundry Systems has launched the first-ever laundromats in Kenya.

The commercial laundry company is targeting entrepreneurs from urban centres in Kenya and will give them a full laundromat store. It will also provide operational and technical support to them.

The firm's Regional Sales Manager, Jean-Paul Mailhac said the demand for laundry services makes Kenya the ideal place to start a laundromat in the Sub-Saharan Africa.

“We have already witnessed that Kenyan entrepreneurs are passionate about a laundromat. Kenya is the country from where we have received the most inquiries by far. It is quickly becoming a need in this society as people spend a lot of time and effort on their looks,” Mr Mailhac said during the launch.

This is definitely a winner. Long overdue, should have checked in with the advent of day care.

I wonder what mama fua will now do?

Proverbs 19:21
Lolest!
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:27:45 PM

Mukiri wrote:
Swenani wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

2. Coinstar machine

3. Costume shop

4. Laundromat

No more mama fua

Quote:

This is definitely a winner. Long overdue, should have checked in with the advent of day care.

We have had the likes of kisafi and isamado for sometime
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Mukiri
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 5:35:29 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Swenani wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

2. Coinstar machine

3. Costume shop

4. Laundromat

No more mama fua

Quote:

We have had the likes of kisafi and isamado for sometime

After looking up Kisafi, I'm reminded of Petty Errands, the company. I don't quite grasp the connection between your answer with my question

Lolest!
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 6:05:29 AM

Quote:

After looking up Kisafi, I'm reminded of Petty Errands, the company. I don't quite grasp the connection between your answer with my question

Mukiri, I have been a client of Kisafi for about 2 years.

In biz, there's something called pivoting where you start doing A, then you find there's demand for C,D,K and Y. I believe that's what they're doing to diversify revenue. Those other services started recently. Not more than 3 months

kayhara
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 11:32:05 AM

There is a guy doing a unique business in real estate, when you want to sell your house you usually move casually the house is left dirty, the guy takes your house asks how much you are selling it for, then cleans furnishes the house to great standards and holds open house until he gets a buyer, or a tenant most buyers opt to keep the furniture together with the house and our guy makes a good sum while the owner gets his cut
To Each His Own
Mukiri
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 5:30:56 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

In biz, there's something called pivoting where you start doing A, then you find there's demand for C,D,K and Y. I believe that's what they're doing to diversify revenue. Those other services started recently. Not more than 3 months

Apples and Oranges.

Laundromat you do your own laundry. There are people who don't want others doing it for them.

Mama fua is mostly urban poor without business skills. Is your pivoting applicable to her? The only demand for C, D, K and Y may only be demand for P, U, S, $ and Y

Lolest!
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 9:13:28 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

Laundromat you do your own laundry. There are people who don't want others doing it for them.

Mama fua is mostly urban poor without business skills. Is your pivoting applicable to her? The only demand for C, D, K and Y may only be demand for P, U, S, $ and Y

The person pivoting is the cleaning company not mama fua

On people doing their own laundry, that's new but I doubt it'll pull off
Mukiri
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:59:19 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

You'll be shocked

tony stark
#15 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 4:11:22 PM

Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

You'll be shocked

Why and how?
Market research? Personal opinion?
Mukiri
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:00:29 PM

tony stark wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

You'll be shocked

Why and how?

We are on a socio-economic path already treaded. Many thought the notion of day care was never going to pick up, given that the mboch was affordable. Day cares are mushrooming everywhere. Same clientele plus ever rising youth, will opt for walk-in-walk-out laundry services. If I had the money, I'd put such a facility near a private uni

chauhanmohit
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:58:50 AM

deadpoet wrote:

2. Coinstar machine

3. Costume shop

4. Laundromat

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...2&f=25&q=826369

I think you shoyuld look at your surroundings and tru finding the need of the people! That way your business will be profitable and won't fail. All the ideas that you have talked about are really good but do the people really need it? If they dont then it might fail cause there is no demand for it
tony stark
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:36:23 PM

Mukiri wrote:
tony stark wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

You'll be shocked

Why and how?

We are on a socio-economic path already treaded. Many thought the notion of day care was never going to pick up, given that the mboch was affordable. Day cares are mushrooming everywhere. Same clientele plus ever rising youth, will opt for walk-in-walk-out laundry services. If I had the money, I'd put such a facility near a private uni

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
So personal opinion.
If you actually run the number your laundromatt will be so expensive in money and more importantly in time. Mama Osha and domestic managers are cheap and your time is freed up. The cost of time is so expensive that that is the main reason your laundromatt idea will not work.
A laundromatt has no market in Kenya.

Comparing day care to laundromatt is the wrong comparison. Day cares free up your time to go earn money while a laundromat will expect you to waste 3 hours in a closed space with strangers for more money than hiring someone to do it??

And this statement here

Mukiri wrote:
If I had the money, I'd put such a facility near a private uni

If this was truly a viable business money would be found to do this.So keep using the excuse and I hope you never have the money to open this failed business.