semaj wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
semaj wrote:
Airtel 90day 4G bundles
120gb @6000/
200gb @9000/

Telkom 90 day 4G bundles
100gb @5000/

Thank you Faiba! Though it's still pricier than Faiba.
I don't know if Airtel provides 4G... I often get EDGE on it.

The tricky part with faiba is the 30days expiry period for their data bundles. They should extend it to 90 days

The idea is to keep you buying on a regular basis. A subscription model. I am a-ok with the 30-day bundles if I can buy 120 Gb [mobile data] for 4k compared to what I currently pay Airtel and Safcom.

What sold me is the "mobile" data bundle vs Safcom's unlimited @home package which can only be used at home... I think "mobile" data is a better deal as we are out of the house for most of the day. That said, different strokes for different folks. Competition is a good thing!

@semaj - I checked my airtel line but I didn't see the package you mentioned. Please post a link to the offer.

The package is available on the 4G simcard, which is currently available only when you buy the 4G router

Is this a "wifi" router like the "mifi" device? In other words, is it a mobile device? Thanks! [Plus a link would be helpful]... Google isn't helping much!

Very Interesting the link in Airtel Kenya post links to Jumia

With Safaricom having launched their online store, masoko , seems airtel is backing a third party online store by opening their own store front in Jumia.

Applause Applause Applause Asante! I will check it out. I also plan to see what Faiba offers.

Faiba is cheaper than Airtel but Airtel does have a greater range/service.
I find Airtel to be slow and on 3G and EDGE. I have no experience with Faiba but they do advertise LTE.

I will continue with Safcom but I can buy bigger bundles on Airtel/Faiba...
Zuku is dead at this rate!

I am disposing a Safaricom 4G router/Mifi. Bought at Safcom for 7K being sold for 4K. Never been used and box never opened.
VituVingiSana
#102 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 11:13:12 AM

An update on the Faiba 4G MiFi

- Works relatively well where I live/work in Nairobi. I take it with me on the go.
- It worked in Mombasa BUT in some spots in Nyali.
- Excellent speeds where it works. I consistently get 5Mbps+ [even as high as 20Mbps]. Netflix streams in HD but that's almost 2-3Gb/hour in my estimate!
- I still have Airtel and Safcom as backup.
- The modem will die if not charged and is constantly connected. The battery will deteriorate over time.
- The phone (not compatible with 700 MHz) needs to constantly (re) charged since it is on wifi 24/7. If I am low on battery, I will switch off my wifi.
- 25Gbs for 1,000/- so I do not ration my usage and even use my laptop on mobile data. With Safcom, I would hardly do so!
- Recharge is via M-Pesa Paybill. 1,033/- for a 25Gb bundle. I hope they offer alternatives in the future.

I used to buy 3Gbs for 1,000/- [Safcom] and also data from Airtel. Safcom was much faster than Airtel but I used Airtel when speed wasn't critical.

My data usage on Safcom has decreased 80%. Mostly used when I am out of Nairobi. I have not bought Airtel data since I got Faiba 4G. I had a Telkom SIM for data but I don't even care to look for it.

I hope the quality of the network is maintained. I expect to recover my "investment" [5,600/-] in the modem by March!

I admit my data consumption has increased since I do not throttle my usage. 25Gb lasts me 3 weeks. I do use (free) wifi where possible but when the free wifi is slow [happens often!] I use my modem.

*No, I am not being paid for this by Faiba but they should! I got 2 folks to buy the modem!

Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#103 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 11:30:57 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
An update on the Faiba 4G MiFi

- Works relatively well where I live/work in Nairobi. I take it with me on the go.
- It worked in Mombasa BUT in some spots in Nyali.
- Excellent speeds where it works. I consistently get 5Mbps+ [even as high as 20Mbps]. Netflix streams in HD but that's almost 2-3Gb/hour in my estimate!
- I still have Airtel and Safcom as backup.
- The modem will die if not charged and is constantly connected. The battery will deteriorate over time.
- The phone (not compatible with 700 MHz) needs to constantly (re) charged since it is on wifi 24/7. If I am low on battery, I will switch off my wifi.
- 25Gbs for 1,000/- so I do not ration my usage and even use my laptop on mobile data. With Safcom, I would hardly do so!
- Recharge is via M-Pesa Paybill. 1,033/- for a 25Gb bundle. I hope they offer alternatives in the future.

I used to buy 3Gbs for 1,000/- [Safcom] and also data from Airtel. Safcom was much faster than Airtel but I used Airtel when speed wasn't critical.

My data usage on Safcom has decreased 80%. Mostly used when I am out of Nairobi. I have not bought Airtel data since I got Faiba 4G. I had a Telkom SIM for data but I don't even care to look for it.

I hope the quality of the network is maintained. I expect to recover my "investment" [5,600/-] in the modem by March!

I admit my data consumption has increased since I do not throttle my usage. 25Gb lasts me 3 weeks. I do use (free) wifi where possible but when the free wifi is slow [happens often!] I use my modem.

*No, I am not being paid for this by Faiba but they should! I got 2 folks to buy the modem!

Let's see how far they go.They were given a Sh.3bn loan by Huawei for equipment deployment
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Wororo
#104 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2018 12:02:41 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Wororo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Wororo wrote:

Can Faiba also disrupt the local Telecom sector the same way Reliance Jio did in India...?

WSR may be rich, but he's no Ambani....price wars need business strategy and deep pockets. I doubt he has either.

Reliance Jo have defaulted on loans they took

@Ericsson, it's not Reliance Jio that defaulted on its loans but Reliance Communications. Apparently Jio is owned by the older Ambani (brother) whereas RCom is/was for the younger Ambani

Applause Applause

It seems the India telco market has been heavily rocked by Reliance Jio...

AIRCEL files for bankruptcy

Idea Cellular & Vodafone India merge to create the largest mobile telco in India and withstand competition from Reliance Jio
Ericsson
#105 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 12:35:33 PM

https://www.businessdail...28656-7u8t0t/index.html

Telkom Kenya is set to receive a Sh4.1 billion ($40 million) loan from the European Investment Bank to boost infrastructure and mobile money network.

The European Investment Bank (EIB) said the loan, which is still going through appraisal, will only form part of the funding for Telkom Kenya’s Sh9.34 billion ($92 billion) network expansion project.
VituVingiSana
#106 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 7:35:31 AM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/Telkom-to-get-Sh4bn-for-network-upgrade/4003102-4328656-7u8t0t/index.html

Telkom Kenya is set to receive a Sh4.1 billion ($40 million) loan from the European Investment Bank to boost infrastructure and mobile money network.

The European Investment Bank (EIB) said the loan, which is still going through appraisal, will only form part of the funding for Telkom Kenya’s Sh9.34 billion ($92 billion) network expansion project.

Competition is good for consumers! Applause Applause Applause
Meanwhile, will Helios "revive" the Zuku brand? [It's still a strong brand but I have ditched it, like many others, coz of poor internet services]
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
KulaRaha
#107 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:22:03 AM

Wororo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Wororo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Wororo wrote:

Can Faiba also disrupt the local Telecom sector the same way Reliance Jio did in India...?

WSR may be rich, but he's no Ambani....price wars need business strategy and deep pockets. I doubt he has either.

Reliance Jo have defaulted on loans they took

@Ericsson, it's not Reliance Jio that defaulted on its loans but Reliance Communications. Apparently Jio is owned by the older Ambani (brother) whereas RCom is/was for the younger Ambani

Applause Applause

It seems the India telco market has been heavily rocked by Reliance Jio...

AIRCEL files for bankruptcy

Idea Cellular & Vodafone India merge to create the largest mobile telco in India and withstand competition from Reliance Jio

Jio has a compelling proposition...wish we had someone like that to fix Safaricom
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Ericsson
#108 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:23:03 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/Telkom-to-get-Sh4bn-for-network-upgrade/4003102-4328656-7u8t0t/index.html

Competition is good for consumers! Applause Applause Applause
Meanwhile, will Helios "revive" the Zuku brand? [It's still a strong brand but I have ditched it, like many others, coz of poor internet services]

They aren't interested in Zuku.They own a minority stake compared to Telkom kenya where they have a majority stake and can therefore draw and implement the strategic direction they want to take the company.
Wororo
#109 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:32:31 PM

Wororo
#110 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:37:44 PM

Mr Wangusi declined to name the companies that are gunning for the new spectrum. According to CA data, tier two electronic service providers include Wananchi Group, Liquid Telecom, iWay Africa, and Access Kenya Group. There is no, as of yet, indication that they are part of the consortiums.

Tier two companies have so far been providing fixed and wireless services. The Unified Licensing Framework allows them to venture into the mobile business, but they had not been allocated the spectrum to do so.

One of the options on the table for the consortium members is to jointly invest in a special purpose vehicle that will deploy and run the network on their behalf. The consortium members will then hook up their customers to this network.

Alternatively, consortium members can direct the CA to issue the spectrum to one of their members. This designated company will then roll out the network and lease it out to the rest of the consortium at pre-agreed prices.
Stiffler
#111 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 6:23:29 AM

Apparently the new Faiba modems are out.

Saw one yesterday in some shop
Metch
#112 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 9:18:02 AM

Stiffler wrote:
Apparently the new Faiba modems are out.

Saw one yesterday in some shop

Got one at their Nyali office for 5400 Bob and a 25GB bundle for 1k
Start!
Stiffler
#113 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 7:51:18 PM

I have come to this humble conclusion

Safaricon 3G is faster/reliable than Faiba4G

This is based on Full bar network strengths within Kahawa/ Ruiru Area
obiero
#114 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:51:32 PM

Stiffler wrote:

Same case in Runda

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#115 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:03:07 PM

obiero wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Same case in Runda

Waiting for vvs to speak he was praising Faiba 4G sana
Stiffler
#116 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 10:28:23 PM

I have given up on this Faiba4G thing. Lemme stick to Safaricon/ Telecom

This Faiba is just but a Branded Tortoise. Nothing more
Stiffler
#117 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:05:22 AM

Anyone with the latest Faiba4G Update or info on How to get it. Aside from Physically going to their Offices which I consider cumbersome/ inconvenient.

Or better yet how to unlock the modem to access other providers
Ericsson
#118 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:26:52 AM

Stiffler wrote:
Anyone with the latest Faiba4G Update or info on How to get it. Aside from Physically going to their Offices which I consider cumbersome/ inconvenient.

Just buy the 4G mobile wifi router that you can use with sim card of any of the providers at ksh.12k
Stiffler
#119 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:32:15 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Just buy the 4G mobile wifi router that you can use with sim card of any of the providers at ksh.12k

Was hoping to make use of the already purchased investment.
I had purchased the Mifi a while back.
In hindsight it was the wrong move
VituVingiSana
#120 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:15:46 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Same case in Runda

Waiting for vvs to speak he was praising Faiba 4G sana

It works well for me. I primarily use it in (built-up) Nairobi and Mombasa. I have not used it in the exurbs of Nairobi. Decent speeds.

I think Faiba4G isn't for everyone and works well where Faiba JTL (fibre) provides service i.e. they have nodes/bases since they seem to piggy back on the "underground cable" rather than towers.

I also use Safaricom but that's not for data intensive usage and primarily on my mobile phone.

I pay 1,000 monthly for 25Gbs. They have a weekly bundle at 300 for 8Gbs. I also buy Saf bundles as needed. Lots of places offer (not always reliable) free WiFi nowadays.

The irony is that I buy Faiba bundles using M-Pesa Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

The main disadvantage of my preferred usage of Faiba4G is the use a modem which can die + the phone uses more battery power when it's on WiFi.