wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<567
Centum HY17
Ericsson
#121 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:48:59 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:

The last surviving member of the Peter Mwangi and Tony Wainaina team has taken a bow
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#122 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:31:38 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

The last surviving member of the Peter Mwangi and Tony Wainaina team has taken a bow

But that she was there [& even promoted] for quite some time post-Mwangi would mean she was upto speed. Not sure what has changed.

I like Centum despite its challenges.
It is not a core holding but a "Tier 2" holding and one I have bought at close to current prices.
I have to say that the acquisitions made under JM have been smart e.g. Two Rivers, Vipingo, etc.
The portfolio is heavily geared towards property development BUT there are excellent firms in the portfolio e.g. Almasi, GMC, etc that are regular cash-generators.
Land/Property sales are sporadic whereas beverages, etc have more predictable cashflow. There is a case for both for Centum.
Then there is Nabo with a decent AUM which generates fees and potential investors in their other projects.

The wild card is CK i.e. he can call folks who will pick up his call...
This scenario is similar to Warren Buffett at Berkshire Hathaway...

Of course, James Mworia is young and can steer Centum for a while. He is a known quantity and can also call folks to get to the heart of a deal.

The board seems strong and competent. I like the management [despite the drama over compensation] which has consistently delivered market beating returns on NAV.
The share price is a different ballgame i.e. Share prices do not always track Intrinsic Value.
Unga [NAV/share is 50]
KK [Solid earnings machine]
Berkshire [which said they would do a buyback]
KenRe [NAV/share is +75% the price]

What's Centum's IV? I think it is north of 60/-
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#123 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:53:28 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

But that she was there [& even promoted] for quite some time post-Mwangi would mean she was upto speed. Not sure what has changed.

It is not a core holding but a "Tier 2" holding and one I have bought at close to current prices.
I have to say that the acquisitions made under JM have been smart e.g. Two Rivers, Vipingo, etc.
The portfolio is heavily geared towards property development BUT there are excellent firms in the portfolio e.g. Almasi, GMC, etc that are regular cash-generators.
Land/Property sales are sporadic whereas beverages, etc have more predictable cashflow. There is a case for both for Centum.
Then there is Nabo with a decent AUM which generates fees and potential investors in their other projects.

Of course, James Mworia is young and can steer Centum for a while. He is a known quantity and can also call folks to get to the heart of a deal.

The board seems strong and competent. I like the management [despite the drama over compensation] which has consistently delivered market beating returns on NAV.
The share price is a different ballgame i.e. Share prices do not always track Intrinsic Value.
Unga [NAV/share is 50]

Christopher Kirubi has taken retirement.You will not see him again actively negotiating deals on behalf of centum
James Mworia is nearly jumping out of the ship
Spikes
#124 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:07:49 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

Christopher Kirubi has taken retirement.You will not see him again actively negotiating deals on behalf of centum

Why do you think James Mworia will jump out of the ship? Will he jump out Cyton's Edwin Dande style of chopping off Britam's side hustle business ?
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
Ericsson
#125 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:16:11 PM

Spikes wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

Why do you think James Mworia will jump out of the ship? Will he jump out Cyton's Edwin Dande style of chopping off Britam's side hustle business ?

Centum has peaked
VituVingiSana
#126 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:24:46 PM

@ericsson - Why do you say so about Centum? [Details, please. I have some in my portfolio]
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Horton
#127 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 6:55:43 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

GMC was offloaded
Ericsson
#128 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 9:35:00 AM

Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

GMC was offloaded

GMC wasn't offloaded.It's GM America which sold it's stake to Isuzu Motors.
Centum and ICDC stake still instant
Horton
#129 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 9:47:59 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

GMC was offloaded

Oh yes. I misread. They marked it down by 1.6B
Ericsson
#130 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:23:53 AM

Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

GMC was offloaded

What about the Rea Vipingo land,by how much is it overvalued
Horton
#131 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 12:13:55 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Unga [NAV/share is 50]

GMC was offloaded

What about the Rea Vipingo land,by how much is it overvalued

740k per acre is not so bad. Especially if u compare like for like. Compare the prices at vipingo ridge etc. alot of the land is also beachfront
Horton
#132 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 3:03:11 PM

This 1 of those stocks I am sure will outperform.

As someone has already said, the metrics look good. There is moat and margin of safety
Ericsson
#133 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 6:51:11 PM

Horton wrote:
This 1 of those stocks I am sure will outperform.

As someone has already said, the metrics look good. There is moat and margin of safety

Not with jubilee manifesto