wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Resolving problems in a Chama
chepkel
#1 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 9:59:06 AM

Hello all,

Many people with common interests or backgrounds come together to form a chama especially the ladies. These groups, though very rewarding and important to many of the members, always face great challenges and obstacles.

common problems may include, interpersonal conflicts, late monetary submissions, improper planning and so on.

So how does one deal with problems in a chama??

Please share your thoughts and experiences.
Mpenzi
#2 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 10:16:22 AM

starting point should be for all the members to sign a properly drafted and binding agreement setting out in as much detail as possible the obligations and benefits accruing to each member.
Blackberry
#3 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 10:32:22 AM

have rules and regulations that everyone agrees (signed)to adhere to...remember to continually review them as the chama's needs change.

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

chepkel
#4 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 11:04:23 AM

Are there any officials in a chama???
Blackberry
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:36:37 AM

d'oh! obviously....there have to be officials to steer the chama....if there is money there has to ne a treasuerer....

muganda
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:05:43 AM

Okay my thoughts...
I've honestly wondered whether Chamas are overhyped. The few successful ones are very good. But all the ones I know from friends seem to struggle and lurch from one issue to another.

So I've come to believe they mirror life or business for that matter. There will be many every corner you turn - many will be average, more will be poor and the exceptional ones will be a handful.

And those exceptional ones will be run like businesses - no jokes, no patronising, unity of mind and focus, no tolerance for petty arguments!
Blackberry
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:36:14 PM

@chep
did Ur chama find a way to resolve issues...

My 2 cents
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 2:55:35 PM

When it comes to investing know whether you work best as "partner" or "Solo". Personally I belong to the latter group and steer clear off "Money marriages". Chamas come with a lot of headaches and I think their main advantage is the social angle. For that reason I would only join one in which the capital outlay expected is insignificant......my significant investments are made SOLO. Where I have TOTAL CONTROL over what I buy, what I sell and when I do it. It is for the same reason I would never join a mutual fund.